Author Topic: Round table Swansea 2-2 LFC  (Read 22175 times)

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
Re: Round table Swansea 2-2 LFC
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2013, 12:29:21 pm »
Thinking back on this game, I think in theory we did the right thing in dropping off.  We had all the tools for a good counter attacking performance in the 2nd half with Coutinho, Sturridge and Moses ready to exploit that bit of extra space.  However, at present, we don't have that experience to make sitting back look like a controlled, measured approach rather than a frantic defensive display which I think is what it turned into.  Safe to say that the patched up defence did not help our cause but you would hope we learn. 

Counter attack is actually the game of kings.  The top sides probably use this tactic more than any other.  They are normally a goal up and then the control comes.  So it's something we will develop.  I'd imagine once Sakho gets a dozen or so games under his belt and we have a fully fit attack consisting of any 3 from Coutinho, Moses, Suarez & Sturridge, we are going to look a lot better on the counter.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2013, 01:17:55 pm »
After Swansea's 3-0 romp away at Valencia while fielding a weakened side (5 changes from our game) a point away suddenly doesn't seem all that bad!  ;)
Personally, I think we giften them some momentum and squad confidence...They're not a bad side, but they're not that good either.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2013, 02:48:23 pm »
onwards to Saturday.
Yep.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2013, 06:40:59 am »
Thinking back on this game, I think in theory we did the right thing in dropping off.  We had all the tools for a good counter attacking performance in the 2nd half with Coutinho, Sturridge and Moses ready to exploit that bit of extra space.  However, at present, we don't have that experience to make sitting back look like a controlled, measured approach rather than a frantic defensive display which I think is what it turned into.  Safe to say that the patched up defence did not help our cause but you would hope we learn. 

Counter attack is actually the game of kings.  The top sides probably use this tactic more than any other.  They are normally a goal up and then the control comes.  So it's something we will develop.  I'd imagine once Sakho gets a dozen or so games under his belt and we have a fully fit attack consisting of any 3 from Coutinho, Moses, Suarez & Sturridge, we are going to look a lot better on the counter.

Not sure on that theory amigo. Sturridge made it blatently clear his legs were not up for this game in the first half. He was never going to go anywhere near his top gear this game and ended up playing deeper than Moses most of the time. Moses in the first half looked capable but looked completely spent after 50 minutes so didn´t look like a counter attack threat and Coutinho has amazing acceleration but doesn´t have the pace to race behind the back line.

Aspas was the one I felt could hurt them on the counter which is how I explained to myself chosing him to come on when it seemed clear we needed someone to give us more control rather than bite. As it worked out, Aspas wasn´t really any threat on the counter so I didn´t even get that right.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd