Author Topic: Not quite so 'Super' League  (Read 527858 times)

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Re: Breakaway Super League... The Times
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2021, 03:47:16 pm »
Some or most are missing another point.

Who is going to Ref the ESL?

Any Ref from the various European Leagues will be banished from domestic competition in order to keep status quo.

Sure it would be great to be away from Mike Rileys boys club but  the domestic leagues Uefa, Fifa will all hold over the Refs that if they go to Ref a ESL match they will lose their status within FIFA, the various Federations, and Leagues.

So what do Refs do? Go work a match or two midweek or be employed for a season?
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2021, 03:47:21 pm »
Still not quite sure why I’m supposed to be angry about this / hate this

I’m persuadable either way .... but the idea that it’s for money therefore it’s bad isn’t enough for me - if I had a problem with money in football as a binary I’d have stopped watching when Jack Walker bought the league

If the big clubs want to control their own competition and fuck Uefa off I’m not certain that’s a bad thing?

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2021, 03:48:31 pm »
we’d still be playing in the league though.

the whole thing is a shit show, driven by greed as usual.

Football is eating itself at the highest level in Europe.

The only thing that really intrigued me about this new thing was in having a group who looked into how much money was being spent by the clubs involved. We need this whatever happens as too much money is being spent all over the place. But I could never trust the likes of UEFA to set one up because of the way they have just walked away from their own regulations. The group that is mentioned in the initial article was a name only, so we don't have enough detail of whether its from football or a group from outisde football (which I would prefer).
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2021, 03:49:24 pm »
This fucking stinks. Hate the idea. Just an American marketing mans wet dream.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2021, 03:49:35 pm »
Yep I don't see why it would be bad for us to be involved in it either, other than this isn't how things used to be or supposed to be
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2021, 03:50:54 pm »
Yep I don't see why it would be bad for us to be involved in it either, other than this isn't how things used to be or supposed to be

If i had my way we'd have a European Cup of only champions and a unseeded two legged cup format. But i don't. That was scrapped for a group format to generate more money and it hasn't been too bad. I'm sure moving to a Super League won't be too bad either, for those allowed in.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2021, 03:51:20 pm »
Interesting news. Thought the big clubs would be okay after the new CL format.

But I guess they want more revenue which makes sense especially for big European clubs who want to compete with the premier league money. And then the likes of Man united, LFC also want to maximize their revenue since they are the reason PL is so popular. Also this guarantees revenue rather than depending on qualifying from the league.

I also agree that letting City get away was a massive failure by UEFA and top clubs must have thought that there is no way they can compete with oil money unless they breakaway to form a Super League.

Either way, I liked the new CL format as it would give us more high quality games, so I am all for a NFL style Super League as well.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 03:54:31 pm by CalgarianRed »
True North Strong

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2021, 03:52:05 pm »
Because football should be about merit and not involve closed shops. We've got to the position of being one of the biggest clubs in the world by earning it on the pitch. To deny other clubs of the possibility of doing that is just wrong.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2021, 03:52:18 pm »

I’m persuadable either way .... but the idea that it’s for money therefore it’s bad isn’t enough for me - if I had a problem with money in football as a binary I’d have stopped watching when Jack Walker bought the league

If the big clubs want to control their own competition and fuck Uefa off I’m not certain that’s a bad thing?

Ultimately it depends on how much domestic leagues are affected.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2021, 03:52:25 pm »
I'm assuming that this is our and Utd's idea of how to compete against the state run clubs? you can't ban them, can't limit them so try getting as much money as possible so it becomes irrelevant? You're always in the competition, you're handed half a billion every year from it etc

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2021, 03:53:08 pm »
Adapt or die. Simple as that.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2021, 03:54:11 pm »
Adapt or die. Simple as that.

prefer not to adapt to an US styled closed shop though. All very franchisey.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2021, 03:54:18 pm »

Because people on the internet tell you, you should be.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2021, 03:54:46 pm »
Because football should be about merit and not involve closed shops. We've got to the position of being one of the biggest clubs in the world by earning it on the pitch. To deny other clubs of the possibility of doing that is just wrong.

These people don’t care about smaller clubs, grassroots football or anything of the likes, many of these fans mentality are no different to the City and Chelsea’s they denigrate.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2021, 03:54:49 pm »
This fucking stinks. Hate the idea. Just an American marketing mans wet dream.

yet started by an Italian club--Juventus.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2021, 03:55:09 pm »
Miguel Delaney
@MiguelDelaney
·
25m
Am told there is "chaos" in European football now, and a "race against time"
Many feel Super League threat still just brinkmanship but if there is a formal announcement (some think tonight) it would be point of no return and "end of football" as we know it
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2021, 03:55:33 pm »

And everything we earnt was being taken away by 2-3 teams who have unlimited money, which is also wrong. This would help us compete on a more even footing.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2021, 03:56:34 pm »
These people don’t care about smaller clubs, grassroots football or anything of the likes, many of these fans are no different to the City and Chelsea’s they denigrate in mentality.

Make sure you're wearing jacket. Gets pretty cold up on that high horse.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2021, 03:56:51 pm »
Miguel Delaney
@MiguelDelaney
·
25m
Many feel Super League threat still just brinkmanship but if there is a formal announcement (some think tonight) it would be point of no return and "end of football" as we know it

End of football as I knew it was when clubs where allowed to be owned by human rights abusers, but that’s seen as perfectly acceptable to everyone. Be it the media, fans, other teams, and the leagues.

So in that sense, it’s all just a bit ‘whatever’ for me, it’s been a shitshow for years, lets add another level!

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2021, 03:56:55 pm »
These people don’t care about smaller clubs, grassroots football or anything of the likes, many of these fans are no different to the City and Chelsea’s they denigrate in mentality.

Exactly right.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2021, 03:58:09 pm »
And everything we earnt was being taken away by 2-3 teams who have unlimited money, which is also wrong. This would help us compete on a more even footing.

Even footing for what though? It makes the domestic leagues even more meaningless, what are we even trying to get equal footing for at this point? To stuff more money in the owners pockets it seems.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2021, 03:58:31 pm »
I feel like some of the people cheering this on would have opened their arms wide to similar owners to the ones City and PSG have... So that argument really holds no weight with me. City and PSG and their owners will love this opportunity to be in and win this.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2021, 03:58:45 pm »
so will the refs and var also be super in this super duper league too?

or do we get superly duperly screwed over just the same but with more money?
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2021, 03:58:59 pm »
Will be a real real shame not to be a part of the European Cup anymore, 6 times etc etc.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2021, 03:59:03 pm »

We've won European cups without winning our own league. How is that okay? We've been Champions of the World and Europe without being Champions of England. That shouldn't be possible. It's shite that it's possible. How is it wrong we should be a permanent member of a European Super league but it's okay to play in a 'Champions' League finishing 4th.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2021, 03:59:06 pm »
Miguel Delaney
@MiguelDelaney
·
25m

As they know it.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline stardorman

• Very gullible, please avoid showing him photoshops
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • working in a coal mine, going down, down, down..
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2021, 03:59:07 pm »
John W Henry to be vice chairman of the Super league. WTF

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2021, 03:59:32 pm »

That is true, but then you have the likes of City and Chelsea who cheat their way to success due to being funded by a oil dictatorship and a Russian oligarch gangster. There are no rules to stop this. Newcastle was very close to being bought by Saudi state. And it will eventually happen.

So the only solution to protect big clubs could be a closed shop super league. You only have to look at Arsenal and how far they have fallen. That could happen to any big club as they simply cannot compete with clubs like City and Chelsea. They spent money during a pandemic when even the likes of Real and Barca could not.
True North Strong

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2021, 04:00:16 pm »
We've won European cups without winning our own league. How is that okay? We've been Champions of the World and Europe without being Champions of England. That shouldn't be possible. It's shite that it's possible. How is it wrong we should be a permanent member of a European Super league but it's okay to play in a 'Champions' League finishing 4th.

Because it’s a cup competition? I don’t get your point there are plenty times we haven’t qualified for the CL also, even this season it’s in jeopardy.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2021, 04:00:55 pm »
I don't think it entirely is but it's still not a closed shop is it? We still qualified to be in those competitions based on our performance from the previous season.

And do you not care what this will do to domestic football?

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2021, 04:01:07 pm »
Even footing for what though? It makes the domestic leagues even more meaningless, what are we even trying to get equal footing for at this point? To stuff more money in the owners pockets it seems.

To buy better players? Have a better squad? Win more things? We didn't have any money to buy a defender the season after winning the league.

I don't know if the new money would go to FSG's pockets. If it does, I'd agree with you. But they haven't been that kind of owners so far.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2021, 04:01:51 pm »
I don't think it entirely is but it's still not a closed shop is it? We still qualified to be in those competitions based on our performance from the previous season.

And do you not care what this will do to domestic football?

What will it do to domestic football? It's not like everyone has the same budget now, is it?

Offline stardorman

• Very gullible, please avoid showing him photoshops
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • working in a coal mine, going down, down, down..
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2021, 04:02:13 pm »

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2021, 04:02:22 pm »
We didn't have any money to buy a defender the season after winning the league.

Poor us.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2021, 04:02:22 pm »
This is shit

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2021, 04:02:32 pm »
European Super League details:

Chairman: Florentino Perez [Real Madrid]
Vice-Chairman: Stan Kroenke [Arsenal]
Vice-Chairman: Andrea Agnelli [Juventus]
Vice-Chairman: John W. Henry [Liverpool]
Vice-Chairman: Joel Glazer [Manchester United]

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2021, 04:03:02 pm »

That is true, but then you have the likes of City and Chelsea who cheat their way to success due to being funded by a oil dictatorship and a Russian oligarch gangster. There are no rules to stop this. Newcastle was very close to being bought by Saudi state. And it will eventually happen.

So the only solution to protect big clubs could be a closed shop super league. You only have to look at Arsenal and how far they have fallen. That could happen to any big club as they simply cannot compete with clubs like City and Chelsea. They spent money during a pandemic when even the likes of Real and Barca could not.

You are deluding yourself if you think that this competition isn't music to the ears of City and PSG owners if they will be involved. Permanent prestige for their projects now.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2021, 04:03:08 pm »
I feel like some of the people cheering this on would have opened their arms wide to similar owners to the ones City and PSG have... So that argument really holds no weight with me. City and PSG and their owners will love this opportunity to be in and win this.

I can't speak for everyone, but no, I wouldn't want that. What I do want is those owners not to have an advantage anymore. Which is what this competition will enforce. In theory at least.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2021, 04:03:30 pm »
John W Henry will be one of 4 Vice Chairman's of the ESL.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2021, 04:03:58 pm »
Poor us.

Great argument, well made.