Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4130441 times)

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #61640 on: December 9, 2019, 11:57:42 am »
Thanks to whoever provided me the link for the fight. However, I had to switch it off.

Too boring for me
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61641 on: December 9, 2019, 12:09:45 pm »
Well fuckin' done to Aj. I said he would morph into a Lennox/ Later day Wlad fighter and use his height and reach and win on UD.  But at the back of my head thought he would try to go toe-to-toe with Pie Man in the mid to later rounds.  But that was a fantastic performance.  That was "Boxing" not brawling which if you look on twitter most wanted and some fuckers on here.  :D ;D

I see the WBO and IBF have already called in mandatories by June 1st.  So it will be USyk or Pulev otherwise AJ is stripped and we have another delay and another champion in the division.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61642 on: December 9, 2019, 12:11:16 pm »
Tua was unlucky to be born into the era he was.

Aye he fought in the second best HW era of the 90's. Had he fought in the last 15 years he'd wipe the floor with every one of them.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61643 on: December 9, 2019, 02:30:47 pm »
Just a few reliable-ish rumours doing the rounds today but it will be AJ vs Pulev (IBF Mandatory) in March/April at the new Spurs stadium.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61644 on: December 9, 2019, 02:57:53 pm »
Just a few reliable-ish rumours doing the rounds today but it will be AJ vs Pulev (IBF Mandatory) in March/April at the new Spurs stadium.

That would make the most sense.  I think he probably still needs a softish opponent to build up a bit of confidence before taking on Fury/Wilder or even Usyk.

I'd also be aiming for 3 fights next year if I were him.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #61645 on: December 9, 2019, 03:08:18 pm »
Or Hearns v Hagler mate

Still get chills. What a brawl that was.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #61646 on: December 9, 2019, 03:40:07 pm »

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #61647 on: December 9, 2019, 06:18:52 pm »

And maybe Chisora versus Usyk as the IBF eliminator, winner fighting AJ in the summer (assuming he sees of Pulev)

If Wilder wants to be known as the best he needs AJ's belts.  You can be sure if Ruiz won again he'd be fighting Wilder next.  Wilder running scared of AJ?

Offline Judge Red

• Kopite
« Reply #61648 on: December 9, 2019, 09:08:47 pm »
Watched this today. Enjoyed reminiscing over the late Tommy Morrison. Exciting fighter in his early years but his lifestyle caught up with him. Packed a proper punch.

https://youtu.be/dclkp6DXmCM

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61649 on: December 9, 2019, 10:37:12 pm »

And maybe Chisora versus Usyk as the IBF eliminator, winner fighting AJ in the summer (assuming he sees of Pulev)

If Wilder wants to be known as the best he needs AJ's belts.  You can be sure if Ruiz won again he'd be fighting Wilder next.  Wilder running scared of AJ?
Maybe Ruiz would have. But Joshua won't and he won't let Fury, Wilder or Ortiz fight him anytime soon either.

https://www.balls.ie/boxing/anthony-joshua-set-avoid-fury-wilder-next-two-fights-422011

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61650 on: December 9, 2019, 10:45:00 pm »
Maybe Ruiz would have. But Joshua won't and he won't let Fury, Wilder or Ortiz fight him anytime soon either.

https://www.balls.ie/boxing/anthony-joshua-set-avoid-fury-wilder-next-two-fights-422011

So, he's taking his mandatory while those two fight each other, and that article has somehow spun it as him ducking them?

Wilder spent 40 odd fights ducking anyone with a pulse ffs.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61651 on: December 9, 2019, 10:53:35 pm »
So, he's taking his mandatory while those two fight each other, and that article has somehow spun it as him ducking them?

Wilder spent 40 odd fights ducking anyone with a pulse ffs.

Think both do beat him though. Certainly not Fury who would give him a boxing lesson.

And I think he is ducking them and Usyk but Pulev then Usyk makes sense but I don't think he will fight Usyk.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 12:17:32 am by Fordy »

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #61652 on: December 10, 2019, 12:15:04 am »
Just bizarre Joshua gets to call himself a 2 time heavy weight champion off the back of beating a grotesquely over weight bum like Ruiz.

Ruiz landed a lucky punch which made him 20+ million fair play to him... he can't have spent all that on the buffet ... I mean he's given it a right good go like

I loved boxing above all other sports even football as a kid but fuck me its fallen a long long way
A prime Holyfield or Bowe or Lewis would destroy Joshua but good luck to him he's fighting bums, making bank and legitimising murderous regimes all in the heavyweight tradition I guess....

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61653 on: December 10, 2019, 01:43:09 am »
The glittering headlines have been way over the top. He's just beaten a much shorter bloke in horrendous shape who he never should have lost to in the first place.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61654 on: December 10, 2019, 06:46:47 am »
The glittering headlines have been way over the top. He's just beaten a much shorter bloke in horrendous shape who he never should have lost to in the first place.

This is right to be honest. It should just be 'as you were' he hasn't done anything great. Let's not forget he was 1/25 in first fight.

Headlines have been over the top but that is to be expected
 what has annoyed me is him talking about health issue in 1st fight, trying to diminish the win of Ruiz. That is really bad form for me.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61655 on: December 10, 2019, 06:50:00 am »

100% and boxed how we all thought he should of done in the 1st fight. The whole world knows now that he's not as good as we all thought. That's all what's changed.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #61656 on: December 10, 2019, 08:58:11 am »
Just bizarre Joshua gets to call himself a 2 time heavy weight champion off the back of beating a grotesquely over weight bum like Ruiz.

Ruiz landed a lucky punch which made him 20+ million fair play to him... he can't have spent all that on the buffet ... I mean he's given it a right good go like

I loved boxing above all other sports even football as a kid but fuck me its fallen a long long way
A prime Holyfield or Bowe or Lewis would destroy Joshua but good luck to him he's fighting bums, making bank and legitimising murderous regimes all in the heavyweight tradition I guess....
Aye, wasn't expecting him to call them out on their human rights record but the sucking up wasn't necessary either. The atmosphere was utter shit. Better vibe from those Friday night fights in leisure centres.

To be fair, Wilder has beaten Ortiz twice and drew with Fury. That's the measure of his entire CV! Fury has beaten Wlad and drawn with Wilder. That's the measure of HIS CV! People have built Fury up as some extraordinarily skilled HW. I think he is an excellent boxer but nowhere near the level people seem to think. People love to look at recent performances as a barometer (I don't agree). In that case, has everyone forgotten that Fury looked like dogshit against a club fighter? Cut or not, he was very poor.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 09:00:25 am by 1892tillforever »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61657 on: December 10, 2019, 09:47:09 am »
Aye, wasn't expecting him to call them out on their human rights record but the sucking up wasn't necessary either. The atmosphere was utter shit. Better vibe from those Friday night fights in leisure centres.

To be fair, Wilder has beaten Ortiz twice and drew with Fury. That's the measure of his entire CV! Fury has beaten Wlad and drawn with Wilder. That's the measure of HIS CV! People have built Fury up as some extraordinarily skilled HW. I think he is an excellent boxer but nowhere near the level people seem to think. People love to look at recent performances as a barometer (I don't agree). In that case, has everyone forgotten that Fury looked like dogshit against a club fighter? Cut or not, he was very poor.

There is a bit of smoke and mirrors around Fury for sure.  This is a man with such silky smooth skills that he punched himself in the face.  And managed to get put on his arse by USS Cunningham.  Outboxing Deontay Wilder doesn't mean much in the scheme of things.

He is awkward and unorthodox though.  He's settled into this weird style since he came back with weird feints and head movement that is so hard to read and time correctly, and he's the only boxer I can think of that uses switch hitting for something useful by changing angles as he moves away.

I think Wilder probably has a better chance of beating him than AJ just because he's so unorthodox as well.  I'm going back and forth on Wilder v AJ now.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61658 on: December 10, 2019, 09:54:08 am »
I see it like this:

AJ has power, very quick but a suspect chin.
Fury has ability, decent chin but not much power.
Wilder has limited ability, huge right hand and a decent chin.

An AJ Fury fight would be an absolute bore fest - at distance, grabbing with the odd jab.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61659 on: December 10, 2019, 11:10:38 am »
Need a fresh new heavyweight to burst onto the scene because the current top 3 are very limited. Hopefully someone like Usyk or Dubois can step up in the future.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61660 on: December 10, 2019, 12:10:44 pm »
It just seems like fake news to say that Joshua has been fighting bums. Maybe the heavyweight division isn't the strongest and of course we're waiting for the big fights with Fury and Wilder, but he hasn't been fighting bums. That's just not true.

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #61661 on: December 10, 2019, 01:00:35 pm »
It just seems like fake news to say that Joshua has been fighting bums. Maybe the heavyweight division isn't the strongest and of course we're waiting for the big fights with Fury and Wilder, but he hasn't been fighting bums. That's just not true.

His CV is better than any of the others.
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61662 on: December 10, 2019, 01:12:23 pm »
His CV is better than any of the others.

Aye, not a big fan of AJ, but he won against Klitschko, Whyte, Parker, Povetkin. Now it's time to fight someone like Fury, Wilder or Usyk. Eventually i believe he will.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61663 on: December 10, 2019, 01:23:04 pm »
Aye, not a big fan of AJ, but he won against Klitschko, Whyte, Parker, Povetkin. Now it's time to fight someone like Fury, Wilder or Usyk. Eventually i believe he will.

Yeah I think you can argue that all 4 of those are better than anything on Wilder's CV (maybe not Povetkin anymore) and he's has twice as many fights.  Fury has beaten Wlad but not much else.

I think if anything, AJ has been moved along a bit too quickly, but I suppose that opportunity when Charles Martin somehow picked up a belt was too good to miss, and then once you're a champ you can't really drop a level and get rounds.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61664 on: December 10, 2019, 01:25:22 pm »
Yeah I think you can argue that all 4 of those are better than anything on Wilder's CV (maybe not Povetkin anymore) and he's has twice as many fights.  Fury has beaten Wlad but not much else.

I think if anything, AJ has been moved along a bit too quickly, but I suppose that opportunity when Charles Martin somehow picked up a belt was too good to miss, and then once you're a champ you can't really drop a level and get rounds.
I’ll never ever understand how that was allowed to happen

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61665 on: December 10, 2019, 01:32:55 pm »
I’ll never ever understand how that was allowed to happen

He didn't even have to throw a punch!

I doubt AJ would have gone straight into a World Title shot if Glazkov won.  They'd have held him back a bit.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61666 on: December 10, 2019, 02:12:31 pm »
He didn't even have to throw a punch!

I doubt AJ would have gone straight into a World Title shot if Glazkov won.  They'd have held him back a bit.
Charles Martin was the absolute definition of a paper champ. Hope he spent that money wisely though, best decision a boxer has ever made imo selling that belt

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61667 on: December 10, 2019, 03:55:12 pm »
Charles Martin was the absolute definition of a paper champ. Hope he spent that money wisely though, best decision a boxer has ever made imo selling that belt
An argument can be made that he is the worst ever HW champion. With the likes of Damiani and Carnera, that is quite a claim but I stick with it!

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61668 on: December 10, 2019, 04:25:37 pm »
An argument can be made that he is the worst ever HW champion. With the likes of Damiani and Carnera, that is quite a claim but I stick with it!

At least they both defended it at least once!  Martin held the title for all of 85 days, only Tony Tucker had less, and at least he put in a decent effort at defending it against a prime Tyson.

It's a crowded field though.  I think Ruiz might be at the top of some people's list eventually, along with the other fluke winners like Rahman, Douglas, Sanders.  At least they knocked someone out to win it though, Martin just had to watch someone fall over in front of him.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61669 on: December 11, 2019, 12:38:28 pm »

What a stupid article. He has to take mandatory defenses otherwise he's stripped of the belts and you don't get an Undisputed champion like everyone wants.  Unification tops Mandatories but Wilder is fighting Fury ergo this is a stupid article.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61670 on: December 11, 2019, 03:12:55 pm »
Hopefully Joshua can fight 3 times next year. Mandatory in March Usyk In Summer and Fury/wilder winner late in year

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61671 on: December 11, 2019, 09:52:23 pm »
At least they both defended it at least once!  Martin held the title for all of 85 days, only Tony Tucker had less, and at least he put in a decent effort at defending it against a prime Tyson.

It's a crowded field though.  I think Ruiz might be at the top of some people's list eventually, along with the other fluke winners like Rahman, Douglas, Sanders.  At least they knocked someone out to win it though, Martin just had to watch someone fall over in front of him.
All three had some talent; Douglas was a good fighter but was very much in the Ruiz-school of preparation. All three would starch Martin inside 3 rounds!

Incidentally, Glazkov (who 'lost' to Martin) hasn't fought since, and probably won't.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:54:10 pm by 1892tillforever »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61672 on: December 11, 2019, 10:13:32 pm »
All three had some talent; Douglas was a good fighter but was very much in the Ruiz-school of preparation. All three would starch Martin inside 3 rounds!

Incidentally, Glazkov (who 'lost' to Martin) hasn't fought since, and probably won't.

Well they all had to knock someone out to win their titles so that counts for something. Martin just had to stand there.

Glazkov's situation sounds like the origin story for the next Marvel villain.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #61674 on: December 12, 2019, 07:43:35 am »
good weekend ahead in MSG

Crawford v Kavaliauskas (WBO Welter)

Commey v Lopez (IBF Lightweight)

Conlan v Nikitin (rematch from Rio 2016 controversy)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 07:47:14 am by gwalk »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61675 on: December 12, 2019, 12:59:43 pm »
good weekend ahead in MSG

Crawford v Kavaliauskas (WBO Welter)

Commey v Lopez (IBF Lightweight)

Conlan v Nikitin (rematch from Rio 2016 controversy)

Good undercard with a weak main event I think.

Kavaliauskas has only got one good name on his record in Ray Robinson, and he's been dead for 30 years.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61676 on: December 13, 2019, 06:38:52 pm »
 ;D

This is the last big card of the year unless you like Strawweight action from Japan over the Christmas/New year period.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61677 on: December 13, 2019, 06:49:50 pm »

Kavaliauskas has only got one good name on his record in Ray Robinson, and he's been dead for 30 years.

Arvanesian, the one Josh Kelly ducked, is a good name too

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61678 on: December 14, 2019, 04:25:25 pm »

He couldn't even beat the ghost of Ray Robinson  :P Crawford will take him to school.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61679 on: December 15, 2019, 01:24:36 pm »
Crawford wins semi easily over night. Kavalauskas was more than decent to be fair.