Author Topic: Somalia Truck Bombing  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
Somalia Truck Bombing
« on: October 16, 2017, 12:22:05 am »
At least 500 people are believed to have been killed or seriously injured in Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia, in one of the most lethal terrorist acts anywhere in the world for many years.

The death toll from Saturday’s attack, which involved a truck packed with several hundred kilograms of military-grade and homemade explosives, stood at 276 on Sunday, according to Associated Press, but is expected to rise as more bodies are dug from the rubble spread over an area hundreds of metres wide in the centre of the city. At least 300 people were injured, according to local reports.

Rescue workers on the ground said it would be difficult to establish a definitive death toll because the intense heat generated by the blast meant the remains of many people would never be found.

The rest of the story can be found at;

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/15/truck-bomb-mogadishu-kills-people-somalia

Absolutely desperate.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
Re: Somalia Truck Bombing
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:26:59 am »
Absolutly horific, don't have any more words at the moment.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 12:30:44 am »
Absolutly horific, don't have any more words at the moment.
I know we're encouraged to add our own few sentences when we start a thread, and I tried, but the article just speaks for itself. Just horrifying.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 06:53:29 am »
Dreadful cold blooded slaughter...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 10:22:49 am »
I caught some images in the background on a sound-less tv the other day, and had no idea what was being shown. Now I know. Unthinkable scale of destruction.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 10:39:38 am »
It's bad but it's like you become numb.  But you shouldn't, it's a disgraceful loss of innocent life.  Someone's father, someone's son, someone's daughter, someone's wife, someone's mother, someone's grandparent, someone's baby.  I read about what was happening to the Rohingya and it just sort of left me numb, until I read about how one woman who had her family killed had their 18 month son ripped from her arms and thrown on a fire.  A toddler, the same age as my son, just thrown onto a fire.  That is the sort of thing that makes me sick and that feeling, knowing that in this bombing someone will undoubtedly have lost their child of a same age from human hatred, just makes me want to vomit.

Just, you can't believe it.  You don't want to believe it.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 11:16:57 am »
Obscene, tragic.  I'm out of fucking words.  Just holding my head in my hands...
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 12:17:12 pm »
Absolutely fucking tragic. And why the fuck is this not on the BBC news site main page?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 12:23:50 pm »
Absolutely fucking tragic. And why the fuck is this not on the BBC news site main page?

That's bizarre, they're usually very good even when it's in a country with limited association with the UK (US journalists much more likely to cover Somalia).

Being cynical, though I don't think inaccurate, Islamic extremism outside of Europe doesn't really tap into the public's conscience quite so much. As others have said, you become desensitised to these things, but the numbers I'm reading for this are huge, the scale is insane.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 12:31:58 pm »
Horrific attack.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 12:45:32 pm »
Fucking hell. I'm at a loss for words. Senseless butchery and I'm not even sure for what.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 01:06:39 pm »
That's bizarre, they're usually very good even when it's in a country with limited association with the UK (US journalists much more likely to cover Somalia).

Being cynical, though I don't think inaccurate, Islamic extremism outside of Europe doesn't really tap into the public's conscience quite so much. As others have said, you become desensitised to these things, but the numbers I'm reading for this are huge, the scale is insane.

I think that's it. I don't know how they 'calculate' what does tap into the public conscience though - we've got a hell of a lot of Somalians in the UK who'll have a deep personal connection to this. Similar to how devastating floods that kill hundreds in Bangladesh barely make a ripple, especially compared to much less tragic floods in Texas, despite us having so many more people of Bengali descent over here than of American descent.

This attack though, fucking hell. These aren't faceless numbers who died, it's people just like us who love and are loved by their families, people of all stages in life, babies, toddlers, children, students, young adults, middle aged, auld arses, women, men, some will be as obsessed with footy as we are, some will have even loved LFC just like we do. Such a waste.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 01:23:27 pm »
It's bad but it's like you become numb.  But you shouldn't, it's a disgraceful loss of innocent life.  Someone's father, someone's son, someone's daughter, someone's wife, someone's mother, someone's grandparent, someone's baby.  I read about what was happening to the Rohingya and it just sort of left me numb, until I read about how one woman who had her family killed had their 18 month son ripped from her arms and thrown on a fire.  A toddler, the same age as my son, just thrown onto a fire.  That is the sort of thing that makes me sick and that feeling, knowing that in this bombing someone will undoubtedly have lost their child of a same age from human hatred, just makes me want to vomit.

Just, you can't believe it.  You don't want to believe it.

Sure you can. Once you stop trying to see a person as one of you there's no limit to the horrors.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 05:53:23 pm »
Sure you can. Once you stop trying to see a person as one of you there's no limit to the horrors.
True.  Just terrifying how having a different religion or a different viewpoint or from a place with a border you'll never see from space can mean someone is less than you.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 08:24:37 pm »
Utterly sensless and tragic. People just trying to get on with their lives, and just like that, it's gone. What a fucking waste.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly