Author Topic: Ultimate Mixtape Draft - General Discussion Thread  (Read 20881 times)

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
Re: Ultimate Mixtape Draft - General Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2018, 10:43:38 pm »
Hipster alert: anyone else think 'Lost in the Supermarket', 'Clampdown', 'Death or Glory' and 'Train in Vain' were better songs?

Never a massive fan of The Cash, thought BAD were better, love Mick Jones, but London Calling smashed it for me back then and still does now

Rock the Casbah was another cracker mind
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:10:14 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2018, 12:02:12 am »
Maybe Lost in the Supermarket. The only other song on that album I'd put on a similar level is The Card Cheat.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2018, 12:04:03 am »
Never a massive fan of The Cash, thought BAD were better, love Mick Jones, but London Calling smashed it for me back then and still does now

Rock the Casbah was another cracker mind

Ah right, Don't know too much about Big Audio Dynamite. Actually like London Calling (the album) though given the number of songs, there's some not so great stuff on there.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2018, 12:05:08 am »
Nice pick with 'Just Like Heaven' Lastrador, like the Dinosaur Jr version too but the original is much better.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2018, 12:57:50 am »
SOrry lads was out playing footie.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2018, 01:05:13 am »
SOrry lads was out playing footie.

Its okay mate....  Your love is Kenny.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2018, 01:30:43 am »
There goes teen spirit... ah well

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2018, 01:43:27 am »
Ah right, Don't know too much about Big Audio Dynamite. Actually like London Calling (the album) though given the number of songs, there's some not so great stuff on there.

It's my all time top favourite album. For me, every song is fantastic. But altogether they're greater than the sum of their parts too. The way the album progresses is so well put together and thought out.

Clampdown and Spanish Bombs are the high points but London Calling, Guns of Brixton, Rudie can't fail, Hateful, Wrong'em Boyo, Lost in a Supermartket, I'm not Down, Death and Glory, Train In Vain are all superb.

In my opinion, it's a faultless album, topped off by the iconic album cover. It has a relentless pace that adds to the energy and builds to a crescendo.

Normally my ranking of bests in music are heavily Beatles-centric but the Clash out do them on this one.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2018, 06:57:29 am »
What's this guy smokin'?  Boston - John Henry has the wrong lead singer :)

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2018, 08:25:38 am »
It's my all time top favourite album. For me, every song is fantastic. But altogether they're greater than the sum of their parts too. The way the album progresses is so well put together and thought out.

Clampdown and Spanish Bombs are the high points but London Calling, Guns of Brixton, Rudie can't fail, Hateful, Wrong'em Boyo, Lost in a Supermartket, I'm not Down, Death and Glory, Train In Vain are all superb.

In my opinion, it's a faultless album, topped off by the iconic album cover. It has a relentless pace that adds to the energy and builds to a crescendo.

Normally my ranking of bests in music are heavily Beatles-centric but the Clash out do them on this one.

Agh, how could I forget about 'Guns of Brixton' and 'Rudie Can't Fail'? You're right, there are some great songs on there, it just doesn't flow for me.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2018, 10:32:54 am »
Got to shoot out for the rest of the day. Can I leave my next pick with someone? Only waiting on the draft loser fellah

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2018, 10:33:37 am »
Got to shoot out for the rest of the day. Can I leave my next pick with someone? Only waiting on the draft loser fellah

:wave

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2018, 11:29:10 am »

Not really a big punk man, but I'd agree with a lot of this - love London Calling (think there are better songs on the album than the title track, but it's an iconic tune) and listened to it loads as a kid after me da used it to try and educate me about punk in some sort of vain attempt at weaning me off hip hop. Still whack it on occasionally, and it's always good. Really liked the madness of Sandinista too, but always felt like London Calling was something pretty special.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2018, 12:15:05 pm »
Not a bad pick that, Sheer Mag. It's kinda hard to think of tracks from the more recent decades that'd be good for a mixtape draft, I'm finding. Suppose ideally you want something at least semi-recognisable (ie a track that charted fairly highly) and not shit. The "not shit" part is pretty tough for 2000s and 2010s hits.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2018, 12:34:04 pm »
Not a bad pick that, Sheer Mag. It's kinda hard to think of tracks from the more recent decades that'd be good for a mixtape draft, I'm finding. Suppose ideally you want something at least semi-recognisable (ie a track that charted fairly highly) and not shit. The "not shit" part is pretty tough for 2000s and 2010s hits.

I have ummm, 1 song that would fall into both the categories of 'recognisable' and 'not shit' post 2000. If that gets picked, I'll have to bring out George Formby.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2018, 12:47:31 pm »
Ty for picking hazell, didn’t think I would be awake in Time. Happy to get that pick!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2018, 01:14:05 pm »
Nice pick Djozer, love some Massive Attack in any compilation I put together. Actually think there’s a few better ones than Unfinished Sympathy but it’s still a vote winner for me (if I remember to vote!).

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2018, 01:32:10 pm »
I'm the other way round, I like a fair bit of 60's music but it often tends to be the more obscure and harder edged stuff. A lot of the popular stuff just sounds dated to me. Not too bothered about chart positions though, I think there's going to be one or two in mine that are technically singles but which didn't get near the charts.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2018, 01:34:09 pm »
Yeah the 00’s and forward aren’t that great for good music I’m finding .

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2018, 02:45:29 pm »
Are we skipping red85?

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2018, 02:48:45 pm »
Are we skipping red85?

He said he'll pick this evening, I'll give him a little while before picking.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2018, 03:07:51 pm »

Sounds like a different draft though, D. More a populist one. I'm just gonna pick 10 of my favourite tunes that has, hopefully, something for all and that will be the fun of it for me in trying to find a mix that has that balance. The problem with choosing tracks that might not be widely known is will we be arsed listening to them? I know, at the mo, some are posting youtube clips and some are not. Understanding the need to be economical for loading purposes I wonder if it should be compulsory either way, clips or no clips,  and if we can, then that may entice the more discerning poster to actually listen before making consideration.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2018, 03:15:40 pm »
Sounds like a different draft though, D. More a populist one. I'm just gonna pick 10 of my favourite tunes that has, hopefully, something for all and that will be the fun of it for me in trying to find a mix that has that balance. The problem with choosing tracks that might not be widely known is will we be arsed listening to them? I know, at the mo, some are posting youtube clips and some are not. Understanding the need to be economical for loading purposes I wonder if it should be compulsory either way, clips or no clips,  and if we can, then that may entice the more discerning poster to actually listen before making consideration.

If you want you can post the link to the video, don’t embed the video though otherwise the page takes ages to load

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2018, 03:23:32 pm »
If you want you can post the link to the video, don’t embed the video though otherwise the page takes ages to load

Sounds like a plan.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 14, 2018, 03:26:58 pm »
Yep, embedding is probably not the best idea. I need to update my posts to remove the links.

Just about to pick, just realised a song I thought was released in 1990 was originally released couple of years earlier.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2018, 03:27:41 pm »
I posted the videos initially with my pick and then I just deleted.   

As far as the type of draft, Viva I am enjoying the fact that I am just going to have voters:

1. You enjoy myself - Phish
2. Sweet Freedom - M McDonald
3. History Repeating - Propellerheads

And in the end, we'll all go Bobby McFerrin!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #146 on: October 14, 2018, 03:29:24 pm »
Yep, embedding is probably not the best idea. I need to update my posts to remove the links.

Just about to pick, just realised a song I thought was released in 1990 was originally released couple of years earlier.

This one: https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2018, 03:29:39 pm »
That's the thing really man, the balance. Like, I'm not gwan pick 10 tracks that were the best selling ones I can think of but at the same time, there's got to be some form of popular element to them cos, y'know, winning is everything and all that; it's not of course, but there's is that to consider too. Could just pick 10 tracks that nobody's heard of, but that seems to be going too far the other direction and I make mixes like that for myself anyway so it'd be an exercise in self-obsession and futility.

Agree about the clips. Agree with Chakan that we should post links to said tunes, though not clips or embed youtube videos. Seems like the smart compromise.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2018, 03:39:53 pm »
That's the thing really man, the balance. Like, I'm not gwan pick 10 tracks that were the best selling ones I can think of but at the same time, there's got to be some form of popular element to them cos, y'know, winning is everything and all that; it's not of course, but there's is that to consider too. Could just pick 10 tracks that nobody's heard of, but that seems to be going too far the other direction and I make mixes like that for myself anyway so it'd be an exercise in self-obsession and futility.
We should do that at some point too. All album tracks and non-charting singles.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 14, 2018, 03:48:18 pm »

Agree about the clips. Agree with Chakan that we should post links to said tunes, though not clips or embed youtube videos. Seems like the smart compromise.

That's the dilemna, D, you are right. Gotta try and tickle the taste buds of the diners so they can feast and gorge on our delectable delights. I'm gonna provide a menu (track order) with a ten courser polished off by a delicious dessert accompanied with wine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2018, 03:53:15 pm »
Hazell, first time listener to Arcade Fire.  Really appreciate your post mate.  Nicely done.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2018, 03:56:48 pm »
I posted the videos initially with my pick and then I just deleted.   

As far as the type of draft, Viva I am enjoying the fact that I am just going to have voters:

1. You enjoy myself - Phish
2. Sweet Freedom - M McDonald
3. History Repeating - Propellerheads

And in the end, we'll all go Bobby McFerrin!

4. Everyone's Gone to the Moon - Trendisnotdestiny

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2018, 04:00:50 pm »

;D It's more famous than the one I was going to pick

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2018, 04:02:09 pm »
We should do that at some point too. All album tracks and non-charting singles.

Yeah that would be a great idea, next international week ;)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2018, 04:02:23 pm »
I am just picking 10 songs that have some kind of meaning to me or I have come back to listen to again despite them not being in my favorite genre of music [i'm a hip-hop and techno oriented fella usually :D], and for the most part most of you have heard of it.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2018, 04:05:10 pm »
Hazell, first time listener to Arcade Fire.  Really appreciate your post mate.  Nicely done.

Nice one, that's what this is about :)

Their debut album Funeral is terrific, one of the best since 2000.

Laika: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlRfZABWgK4

Haiti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwcaDvr8f1o

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: October 14, 2018, 04:05:51 pm »

Bang out of order, Nick, that was on my list   :no

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2018, 04:07:53 pm »
I am just picking 10 songs that have some kind of meaning to me or I have come back to listen to again despite them not being in my favorite genre of music [i'm a hip-hop and techno oriented fella usually :D], and for the most part most of you have heard of it.

From the first couple of songs picked I could tell I wasn't going to get anywhere in this draft  :D I said fuck it, I'm just going to try and create a mixtape that hits all the criteria and that people would want to get up and dance to at a party.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:13:57 pm by Red85 »
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2018, 04:10:06 pm »
For me a mix tape is something to be played at parties to avoid having to keep selecting tunes and having uncomfortable gaps in the music. Therefore it has to be danceable party music.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2018, 04:11:59 pm »

By the way, D, you had me at Dusty....