Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 521629 times)

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
Re: Welcome (back) to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #3160 on: December 29, 2020, 11:00:55 pm »
What's Steven Caulker up to these days?

Practicing playing as a striker....
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #3161 on: December 29, 2020, 11:01:56 pm »
Imagine Skrtl in a VAR world.

His only option in a VAR world would be to play for Man utd.
No other team in the PL would be a viable option.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3162 on: December 30, 2020, 01:09:53 am »
What's Steven Caulker up to these
He's actually playing in Turkey and doing well. Playing every  minute for Alanyspor who are third with the second best defence.

Meant to have turned his life around as he was a massive mess in terms of the booze and gambling
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 01:12:45 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline LFCobsessive

• Main Stander
  • 'No more half-measures.'
« Reply #3163 on: December 30, 2020, 01:31:37 am »
Matip is one of the best defenders I've seen at this club, maybe, my growing up age with the club was with Joe Fagan (great never mentioned manager/ back room staff too of course), I went to games before that but yeah, I remember Fagan more as I started to actually make it a part of my life. There is nothing that can be done about his fragility it seems. He's got presence, positioning, and is so great at deceiving when going forward. plays some midfield splitting passes. Clever and calm player is our Joel. it's so disappointing he can't just be not injured for lengths of time (double negative oops), I'd have him over Joe Gomez every time. So I don't really get how people think Gomez is better than Matip. Suppose that isn't the point, nor do I really want to put Gomez down while complimenting a player here.
 Everyone has felt this for ages, we mightn't need one CB we may need 2, so if we don't get a CB in the January window I won't exactly flip out about it like transfer fever can bring that out of people but, it's a safety net for the team, I want Fabinho in the midfield too if you wouldn't mind. I'm sure he wants to be there too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 01:34:02 am by LFCobsessive »
'Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt. We don't need to motivate players because each of them is responsible for the performance of the team as a whole. The status of Liverpool's players keeps them motivated.'
Bill Shankly.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3164 on: December 30, 2020, 03:00:07 am »
Abductor?
He must have ransom distance to get an abductor injury
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3165 on: December 30, 2020, 09:36:37 am »

The muscle was seized whilst he was negotiating another opposition raid.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #3166 on: December 30, 2020, 09:39:17 am »
Needs Liam Neeson in to sort it.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3167 on: December 30, 2020, 10:52:54 am »
Matip is one of the best defenders I've seen at this club, maybe, my growing up age with the club was with Joe Fagan (great never mentioned manager/ back room staff too of course), I went to games before that but yeah, I remember Fagan more as I started to actually make it a part of my life. There is nothing that can be done about his fragility it seems. He's got presence, positioning, and is so great at deceiving when going forward. plays some midfield splitting passes. Clever and calm player is our Joel. it's so disappointing he can't just be not injured for lengths of time (double negative oops), I'd have him over Joe Gomez every time. So I don't really get how people think Gomez is better than Matip. Suppose that isn't the point, nor do I really want to put Gomez down while complimenting a player here.
 Everyone has felt this for ages, we mightn't need one CB we may need 2, so if we don't get a CB in the January window I won't exactly flip out about it like transfer fever can bring that out of people but, it's a safety net for the team, I want Fabinho in the midfield too if you wouldn't mind. I'm sure he wants to be there too.

Matip is like Agger. A rolls royce of a defender, but a complete liability fitness wise. Agger's legacy wasn't helped so much by being in a Rodgers team which was so structurally bad defensively and with a poor goalkeeper. Since we've had Alisson, Matip has been terrific.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline LFCobsessive

• Main Stander
  • 'No more half-measures.'
« Reply #3168 on: December 30, 2020, 11:45:39 am »
Matip is like Agger. A rolls royce of a defender, but a complete liability fitness wise. Agger's legacy wasn't helped so much by being in a Rodgers team which was so structurally bad defensively and with a poor goalkeeper. Since we've had Alisson, Matip has been terrific.
Good point
He is, but he is little bit different, I do agree though, the fitness thing, man I still wouldn't want Agger in his prime and Matip and Gomez lol, you know why. Agger would get into one of the best I've seen for sure though. Man thank you for your service Agger, I don't do that for soldiers, he was in some teams, and a really top class defender but yep injured, knocks etc. Aw man flood of memories in a good way, he was a hero at a struggling point of time, I'd like to chat to him in a bar.
'Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt. We don't need to motivate players because each of them is responsible for the performance of the team as a whole. The status of Liverpool's players keeps them motivated.'
Bill Shankly.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3169 on: December 30, 2020, 11:55:19 am »
Did I miss the scan/news on Matip? Is it 6 weeks out as feared?

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3170 on: December 30, 2020, 12:41:55 pm »
At the start of the season everyone said he was 3rd choice.

I think he's miles ahead of Gomez in ability but as a 3rd choice CB his fitness is probably in the realm of acceptable, how often do both your starting CBs get injured for the entire season? Awful luck.

:D

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3171 on: December 30, 2020, 12:54:40 pm »
Good point
He is, but he is little bit different, I do agree though, the fitness thing, man I still wouldn't want Agger in his prime and Matip and Gomez lol, you know why. Agger would get into one of the best I've seen for sure though. Man thank you for your service Agger, I don't do that for soldiers, he was in some teams, and a really top class defender but yep injured, knocks etc. Aw man flood of memories in a good way, he was a hero at a struggling point of time, I'd like to chat to him in a bar.

PL era LFC centre backs it'd be Van Dijk and Hyypa as 1 and 2. In terms of their best level i'd probably Matip next ahead of Agger and Carragher.

In the 18/19 run in and the start of last season he had a good run without getting injured and he was terrific. As good as Van Dijk was and vital to us winning the CL and building up the early lead that won us the title. He was rewarded with a new contract (after a lot of Gini-esque flapping about his contract winding down).

He got injured pretty much the next week and has barely played a game since without coming off injured. His body has completely broken down over the last 12 months for whatever reason. He's a write off to be honest.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3172 on: December 30, 2020, 01:11:23 pm »
At the start of the season everyone said he was 3rd choice.

I think he's miles ahead of Gomez in ability but as a 3rd choice CB his fitness is probably in the realm of acceptable, how often do both your starting CBs get injured for the entire season? Awful luck.

He's a better defender than Gomez. The only reason he became 3rd choice is because of the injuries last season. That's not a slight at Gomez, but matip is that good. The problem is fitness obviously.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #3173 on: December 30, 2020, 01:46:21 pm »
3rd choice. Maybe but hes top 5 in the world also.

especially if he can play himself into form. That pass into mane for the goal against west brom was crazy. and he was really starting to talk more as it fell to him as the most experienced guy.

(bursts into tears) (rage screams and starts kicking random stuff) (generally regresses to very angry two year old)

nothing. im fine. Big williams guy, here. Yuge.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3174 on: December 30, 2020, 06:50:16 pm »
3rd choice. Maybe but hes top 5 in the world also.

especially if he can play himself into form. That pass into mane for the goal against west brom was crazy. and he was really starting to talk more as it fell to him as the most experienced guy.

(bursts into tears) (rage screams and starts kicking random stuff) (generally regresses to very angry two year old)

nothing. im fine. Big williams guy, here. Yuge.

When he's fit and on form, he's not far off Van Dijk. He's that good.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3175 on: December 30, 2020, 06:51:54 pm »
Steady...

Offline reddazforever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3176 on: December 30, 2020, 07:19:48 pm »
Any update on Matip and when he’s likely to be back?  Previous posts suggested his scan was scheduled for the 29th but not seen any news since.  TIA
Proudest ever moment was in the Ataturk stadium - i'm sure the wife will understand!

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3177 on: December 30, 2020, 07:48:30 pm »
For all of Matip’s fitness issue, Agger’s fitness is on another level. Once he got injured during warm up. Says it all.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3178 on: December 30, 2020, 09:51:29 pm »
Can't be relied upon.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3179 on: December 31, 2020, 12:25:40 am »
Can see him being wheeled out for certain games and the youngsters playing the others. Whether that’s enough, we’ll only know in May. He’s a class defender and if he can play a run of games, it will make us a better side. Could do with him back for Yernited.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #3180 on: December 31, 2020, 12:38:19 am »
Any update on Matip and when he’s likely to be back?  Previous posts suggested his scan was scheduled for the 29th but not seen any news since.  TIA

3 weeks Klopp said
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3181 on: December 31, 2020, 07:21:28 am »
3 weeks Klopp said

That makes him touch and go for United - probably won't make it going by our usual caution. The fact that it's only three weeks is a doubled edged sword. Good that he'll probably only miss one or two more league games, but also makes it likely we don't go for an additional centre back in January, which we probably need regardless of Matip's recovery time.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3182 on: December 31, 2020, 09:33:19 am »
3 weeks Klopp said

Was that 3 weeks from last night or from when he got injured (only a few days difference I know). Outside chance he’ll make the United game although with his track record you’d imagine it will 3 weeks as a minimum.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3183 on: December 31, 2020, 09:39:34 am »
I have a feeling that Jurgen is becoming more guarded with injury updates. Wouldn’t be surprised if Matip comes back much earlier than 3 weeks.

I think he will be back in two weeks

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3184 on: December 31, 2020, 10:49:34 am »
I have a feeling that Jurgen is becoming more guarded with injury updates. Wouldn’t be surprised if Matip comes back much earlier than 3 weeks.

I think he will be back in two weeks

And then gone again in another two.

The idea that Matip can endure the full strain of the intense half season to come looks outlandish. But without him lining up with Fabinho our prospects look thin. His young replacements - bless them - are so slow. We will have gone from having the fastest centre-back pairing in world football to having one of the slowest in the Premier League.

How slow was the ball recycled last night? Practically every pass that Phillips hit took the forward momentum out of the side. No pace on the ball, all his passes placed fractionally behind the receiver. He made it so easy for Newcastle to defend. And when our defensive line is so deep - and it has to be tailored to our slowest defender - it becomes impossible to gegenpress in the way that Klopp likes. Even lying so deep Phillips nearly got himself sent off last night for clattering an escaping Newcastle forward who was moving at twice the pace he was going at.

So in the permanent absence of Joe Gomez and Virgil, and the regular absence of Matip, Jurgen has to do something dramatic in the next few weeks if he wants Liverpool to be challenging for the Title and the European Cup come May. The obvious solution lies in throwing lots of money at a quick ball-playing centre back. If we get the right one we can look to let Matip go in the summer (no club can afford to keep four great centre backs happy). Failing an expedition into the transfer market I'd like to see Fabinho and another midfielder - possibly Thiago I'm afraid - become our main centre-back pairing. That will allow Liverpool to become Liverpool again instead of the pale ghost we've seen in the last two games. It would be hard on Thiago and it would be hard on us. He wants to play in midfield. We want to see him there. But the demands of the team always come first. And it will serve him right for winning all 93 of his headers in his little cameo last night.

Disclaimer to over-sensitive posters. I'm not calling for the resignation of Jurgen Klopp. Nor is any child abuse going on in this post.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3185 on: December 31, 2020, 11:57:35 am »

How slow was the ball recycled last night? Practically every pass that Phillips hit took the forward momentum out of the side. No pace on the ball, all his passes placed fractionally behind the receiver. He made it so easy for Newcastle to defend. And when our defensive line is so deep - and it has to be tailored to our slowest defender - it becomes impossible to gegenpress in the way that Klopp likes. Even lying so deep Phillips nearly got himself sent off last night for clattering an escaping Newcastle forward who was moving at twice the pace he was going at.

Yup. It was really noticeable how we dropped off when they had it last - which we kind of have to do with Williams or Phillips in the back line - and how that created space in midfield and wrecked our ability to press.. we're just a different team without pace at the back.
Even with our current first choice of Matip and Fabinho its an issue because they lack pace ... teams (Fulham for example) were dropping balls over our back line and we were neither catching them off side nor being deep enough to contain tthe attack. Those two are so good individually and not chronically slow so its a serviceable back two but ideally even if Matip did stay fit we'd want a centre back with pace - its so fundamental to how we play

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3186 on: January 4, 2021, 02:23:42 pm »
When is he expected back ? 3-4 weeks injury
I think the main priority would be to get him fit  for United match on 17 Jan - which would be very tight
As I any CB we sign will probably not be thrown into the deep end against United.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3187 on: January 4, 2021, 03:00:46 pm »
It's difficult to envision a scenario where Matip is ready for the Mancs game on the 17th

Offline dutchkop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3188 on: January 4, 2021, 03:14:02 pm »
It's difficult to envision a scenario where Matip is ready for the Mancs game on the 17th

so then tonight is a dress rehearsal for the team to play Mancs - without Matip at CB.

to be honest I think a CB pairing of Hendo & Fab and with Gini and THiago ahead of them I can see a solid spine developing.

Hopefully Matip gets some cover with a Jan purchase so that he can play every 2 matches and then a break. specially with CL matches in Feb & March

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3189 on: January 4, 2021, 03:30:17 pm »
I also think if we were going to get a CB - we'd have done it by now (yes - 4 days into the month) - so the person would have two weeks to get integrated into the team in time for the manc game.

I realize the choices are limited and likely expensive - but we are really risking things being this thinly covered at CB.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3190 on: January 5, 2021, 02:02:38 am »

Well Klopp did say 3 weeks 3 weeks before the Man U game

Jurgen Klopp

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3191 on: January 5, 2021, 02:24:59 am »
Well Klopp did say 3 weeks 3 weeks before the Man U game

He did? Ah ok - my bad.

Offline Topwings!

• Main Stander
« Reply #3192 on: January 5, 2021, 03:09:02 am »
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if it's 2, 3, 4 or 6 weeks.  He is injury prone and made of glass.  The basis of any title winning team is a steady, solid defence.   Virgil is proof of that and Rafa will second this.    As good as Matip is, Klopp and the team can't rely on him.   You don't need to be a top manager or sports director to realise this.   We can't go into the next season with hope, prayer and expecting something close to a miracle judging from Matip's injury record.   This transfer window is a good chance to address this mistake (selling Lovren, reliance on Matip and lack of experienced, quality options) for a good tilt at the title defence.  If this is not happening then surely another centreback has to be signed in the summer window.

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3193 on: January 5, 2021, 03:00:08 pm »
Was that 3 weeks from last night or from when he got injured (only a few days difference I know). Outside chance he’ll make the United game although with his track record you’d imagine it will 3 weeks as a minimum.

3 weeks from injury

There’s a slight chance he’ll make United.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3194 on: January 5, 2021, 03:35:53 pm »
Can we bin 'made of glass' or 'made of crisps' or any derogatory crap people come out with.

Everyone's got a different physical make up unfortunately, it is what it is. Like Sturridge said recently, he'd have given every penny he had to fix his body.

Jamie Carragher misconstrues his fortune as mind over matter but it's complete bollox at the end of the day, the blert.
:D

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3195 on: January 5, 2021, 03:38:34 pm »
Can we bin 'made of glass' or 'made of crisps' or any derogatory crap people come out with.

Everyone's got a different physical make up unfortunately, it is what it is. Like Sturridge said recently, he'd have given every penny he had to fix his body.

Jamie Carragher misconstrues his fortune as mind over matter but it's complete bollox at the end of the day, the blert.

Carragher is so far beyond an embarrassment now

Such a massive massive twat

Jurgen Klopp

Offline dutchkop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3196 on: January 6, 2021, 09:28:33 am »
We needed another CB pre van dijk’s injury, let alone, Gomez’s injury. A Matip injury was just a matter of time.

agreed - we needed another CB while we had Dejan Lovren and then we sold him and I do believe he had a better injury/availability record than Matip. I still think him average but  I must admit he is better than Williams and Phillips.

Do we know when Matip is expected back ?
Any predictions?  For me he will probably be available for match selection after United game so 18 Jan  onwards

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3197 on: January 6, 2021, 12:54:55 pm »
Pearce saying we’re hopeful Joel will be back for the Utd game. No doubt will be a huge boost if he is but how long can he stay fit for is always the worry.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3198 on: January 6, 2021, 01:17:48 pm »
Great, some good news!!!!

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3199 on: January 6, 2021, 01:22:23 pm »
They mentioned on TAW yesterday how the whole dynamic of the Christmas period changed when he went down against WBA and I think they’re right. If Joel could just put a few games together to get us through this next stretch it could be the difference.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored