Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 313790 times)

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
Re: Cody Gakpo… welcome to Liverpool
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2022, 10:11:32 pm »
He's a local lad, our Coady

I concede he might possible be shoehorned into CM.
But sweeper, last man CB is too much.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2022, 10:11:38 pm »
I don't usually get too excited over a new signing but Cody is one I would have hated to have seen go elsewhere.

With a bit of luck and patience I think we have a huge star of the future secured. This is a huge moment.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2022, 10:17:50 pm »

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2022, 10:22:26 pm »
Very excited to watch this lad play.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2022, 10:23:03 pm »
He scored in all 3 group games.

Did you watch those games? You can still score goals even if you've not played that well or hardly been involved you know.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2022, 10:24:18 pm »
Excited about this, wouldn't have wanted him at some of the prices touted but at 37m he's a steal. Think he plays in midfield when Jota and Diaz are back, but he's excellent when running at people so we need to make sure he can still do that.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2022, 10:24:34 pm »
I didn't watch it because of the fact that they bribed their way into it and 6500+ immigrants died to make the stadiums. So got nothing to do with being a football fan.

Plus all the homophobia and killing of gay people.

Yeah apart from all that though...

(Same here)
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2022, 10:24:55 pm »
Did you watch those games? You can still score goals even if you've not played that well or hardly been involved you know.

Did you? He was one of the stars of the group stages. Van Gaal's negative tactics is what ultimately did them.  :D

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2022, 10:25:40 pm »

Yes i did, he wasn't MoM or anything but it shows he can find the back of the net, even when not at the heart of everything.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2022, 10:26:43 pm »
Did you? He was one of the stars of the group stages. Van Gaal's negative tactics is what ultimately did them.  :D

He wasn't though Samie mate. You're 2nd sentence is probably the reason why though. Which is something I mentioned in my original post.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2022, 10:28:20 pm »
Yes i did, he wasn't MoM or anything but it shows he can find the back of the net, even when not at the heart of everything.

I'm not denying that. I just said he didn't have an amazing WC because he didn't.

Anyway, it's all done and dusted now. I only care about what he can do for us.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2022, 10:28:34 pm »
He wasn't though Samie mate. You're 2nd sentence is probably the reason why though. Which is something I mentioned in my original post.

He was though. You just downplaying it because you're not hyped about his signing. You even admitted it.  ;D  :D

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2022, 10:29:18 pm »
the ink's just dried on his contract and you're already casting doubt on him?

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2022, 10:30:36 pm »
One major thing i would say about him regarding his goals in the WC, is that when he hits the ball he always seems to connect really well with it. IE. When he hits a ball it stays hit.  ;D

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2022, 10:31:17 pm »
the ink's just dried on his contract and you're already casting doubt on him?

I already mentioned when the news broke that I wasn't sold on him, but I'm going to trust the manager on this signing. That's all I'm bothered about now.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2022, 10:32:46 pm »
He was though. You just downplaying it because you're not hyped about his signing. You even admitted it.  ;D  :D

I'm just being honest in my assessment of him lad. Even Crouch Potato admitted he didn't put in any MOTM performances mate.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2022, 10:35:36 pm »
LOL at the mongrels in the comments giving Pearce abuse cos he said Gakpo likely debuts against Wolves

The Manc mongrels or the Bitter mongrels? ;D

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2022, 10:39:18 pm »
I already mentioned when the news broke that I wasn't sold on him, but I'm going to trust the manager on this signing. That's all I'm bothered about now.

funnily enough Klopp didn't mention the WC at all:

“The work that has gone into this has been really impressive and in the end we have managed to sign a player who we have known about for quite some time and who we believe will have a really bright future with us.

“There is a lot to like about Cody. He is still only 23 years old but he already has a lot of experience. He was the captain of PSV, he was the player of the year in Holland last season and, as a lot of people have just seen, he also had a great World Cup with his national team.

“So, it is clear that he is already a really, really good player but his age also means he also has the potential to become even better.

“Offensively, he is very versatile and on top of this we know he is a smart footballer and also a smart person, so we are really excited to be able to work with him.”

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2022, 10:43:23 pm »

“The work that has gone into this has been really impressive and in the end we have managed to sign a player who we have known about for quite some time and who we believe will have a really bright future with us.

“There is a lot to like about Cody. He is still only 23 years old but he already has a lot of experience. He was the captain of PSV, he was the player of the year in Holland last season and, as a lot of people have just seen, he also had a great World Cup with his national team.

“So, it is clear that he is already a really, really good player but his age also means he also has the potential to become even better.

“Offensively, he is very versatile and on top of this we know he is a smart footballer and also a smart person, so we are really excited to be able to work with him.”

That's probably because Van Gaals negative tactics hampered him and we never really got to see what Cody can bring to the table. So it was pointless mentioning it.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2022, 10:44:55 pm »
Based his game around Henry.  :D

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2022, 10:45:47 pm »

Someone work some photoshop magic on this

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2022, 10:46:06 pm »

And?

People in this thread said they don't know much about him because they didn't watch the WC. To which I replied he didn't have a great WC anyway. That's all. And I'll leave it there.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2022, 10:50:59 pm »
Perfect name to be said in a scouse accent.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2022, 10:54:06 pm »
Based his game around Henry.  :D

I saw that before. Some of his side-foot finishes coming in from the left hand side were very 'Thierry Henry'.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2022, 10:58:42 pm »
Welcome Cody. Who's going first with the seven dwavres medley . . .

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2022, 11:00:41 pm »
Welcome Cody! Looking forward to you scoring many goals for us.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2022, 11:02:13 pm »
Haven’t kept up to date with this one but was reading over the weekend somewhere that this guy was headed for old Trafford, so if nothing else there may be a bit of fume/denial over there.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2022, 11:02:21 pm »
Welcome to Liverpool Cody.

For those (if any) that have seen him play in more than just the world cup. What type of player is he, is there a former player he's similar to?

Offline David Struhme

• Kopite
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2022, 11:04:49 pm »
Great signing! Thought he was quality at the world cup from what I saw.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2022, 11:05:45 pm »
Looks very two-footed based on what I've seen, always a quality I love in a footballer.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2022, 11:08:31 pm »
Looks very two-footed based on what I've seen, always a quality I love in a footballer.
yeah, strong shot, and confident, with both feet.  can put in a great cross.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2022, 11:12:05 pm »
yeah, strong shot, and confident, with both feet.  can put in a great cross.
He is a very clean striker of the ball.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2022, 11:15:31 pm »
Flying Dutchman  :scarf  :scarf  :scarf

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2022, 11:20:59 pm »
Three very nice goals at the World Cup.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2022, 11:22:22 pm »
Strong feeling he'll be played in midfield more than we think. Given Diaz/Jota/Firmino are out, it probably won't be straight away, but I think he'll be moulded into an attack-minded and athletic midfielder by Klopp. I think his qualities are quite similar to Jude's when you take their actual positions out of the equation, so I wouldn't be surprised if we've earmarked him to be a midfielder for us, who can also do a more than capable job in attack.

Some may laugh at this given he's a forward, but technically so was Gini and Klopp saw something different for him within our system. I personally think he has a lot of potential as a midfielder for the way we like to play.

i don’t agree with this but if that’s the case then Jones is definitely gone next summer

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2022, 11:28:07 pm »
Yeah, I don't agree with that myself, to be honest. Think it's more likely he'll be used across the front three as and when needed, given that he seems quite strong with both feet.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2022, 11:32:35 pm »
Even a Christmas tree shot!  That will make his uncle Virgil happy

Unfortunately he tried to do the traditional lean against the tree and suffered multiple pine needle puncture wounds, one of which turned septic. Out until late March I'm hearing, but he's already struck up good friendships with Luis and Diogo so silver linings and all that.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2022, 11:40:01 pm »

Someone work some photoshop magic on this

Is Order 66 the run on the shoulder in anticipation of the defence-splitting pass from Trent?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2022, 11:40:02 pm »

Bit niche but i'm going with it
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2022, 11:50:20 pm »
He whips a cracking ball in from the clips I've seen. Good clean striker of the ball too.

I wouldn't be shocked if he hits double figures for assists this season. He should get plenty of football with Díaz and Jota still out for a while and with Núñez and Salah getting on the end of his passes.