Author Topic: Those chants  (Read 181819 times)

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Those chants
« on: October 17, 2022, 02:16:53 am »
I know – talking about it shows them that we're bothered by it. But this abuse that Liverpool fans receive every week has got to stop. Disgusting chants that perpetuate myths and lies and misunderstandings about real events where real human beings died.

The club have released a statement about it after the City game tonight. How have BBC reported it? Have a look for yourself: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63278799

Buried under a headline that reads "Liverpool 1-0 Manchester City: Pep Guardiola says crowd threw coins at him". It's a subset not deemed worthy of independent reporting. Compare this to the recent media action against the chants directed against Chelsea and Spurs, which received widespread attention and condemnation. The piece then goes on to almost suggest justification for the chants:

City are privately stressing they do not condone the abuse in any way.

However, they feel it cannot be viewed in isolation.

They have not forgotten how their team bus was attacked as it made its way to Anfield for the Champions League quarter-final in 2018.

Guardiola's claim he had coins thrown at him follows allegations of City coaching staff being spat at during corresponding fixtures in previous years.

And it is also clear that many Blues fans are defensive in the extreme about how their club is funded.

Whether it was fair or not, and many agreed with him, Klopp's comments about "three clubs" not having a financial ceiling in the build-up to the game annoyed senior figures at City and doubtless riled some visiting supporters, igniting passions even more at one of the most toxic fixtures in the Premier League calendar.

There is a feeling at City that what they view as Klopp's provocation was needless and made a difficult situation worse.

I'm not gonna talk about the dismissal of Klopp's comments about City's funding, because that discussion is happening elsewhere on here, but the implication of this is that the chanting is a response to behaviour from Liverpool fans/staff. This is disgraceful reporting. It completely ignores the fact that it happens most weeks, regardless of the opposition and it draws parallels between this and completely unrelated issues. And it brings up the fucking bus again.

I think there needs to be some sort of united fan action to call this out. I know people have tried and I'm not going to be leading any charge myself, but it's time there was a concerted effort to keep it in the mainstream media on an ongoing basis. To their credit, I think that's a big part of the attention the Chelsea and Spurs chants received – strong, consistent reports over a long period of time. I get the sense that we talk about it a lot, amongst the Liverpool FC community, but I'm not sure we're pushing the agenda into the mainstream enough.

I'm pretty appalled at how the BBC have reported this and will be making a complaint to them. I wonder if that's one way we can start things moving in the right direction – calling out media sources that deliberately choose not to condemn these chants properly.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Re: Those chants
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 02:28:59 am »
Yeah I only read the BBC article, but that read like an apologist piece for City fan's behaviour; as if they were legitimately justified in doing what they did because of Klopp's words last week.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 02:51:40 am »
They have no moral compass… much like their owners.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 06:50:28 am »
Yeah I only read the BBC article, but that read like an apologist piece for City fan's behaviour; as if they were legitimately justified in doing what they did because of Klopp's words last week.

Exactly right. And the way it was sandwiched in between Guardiola's claims that fans had thrown stuff (really poor form if true - but entirely unrelated to this) and City being upset at JK discussing their funding, had me fuming. I don't understand why the BBC in particular don't think this is something that could/should be reported on in its own right.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 07:13:20 am »
What else would you expect from the Salford BBC?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 08:32:15 am »
Is time the club took a hard stance on it. If any clubs fans come and sing anything like that then cut their allocation in half the following season. If they do it again then cut it again. And again.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 08:40:23 am »
Is time the club took a hard stance on it. If any clubs fans come and sing anything like that then cut their allocation in half the following season. If they do it again then cut it again. And again.
I’ve been saying this for a while. Warn the visiting clubs politely that any chanting will result in lower allocations in the future, make not chanting offensive shit a condition of sale (even though it’s probably already covered by ground regs anyway). Then enforce it.

City coming out with mealy mouthed excuses sums them up really. Trying to say what do you expect when your manager spoke about funding in the week is beyond parody.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 08:43:52 am »

Bang on.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 08:48:05 am »
Slash their allocation by 50% for next season and any other club who chant like wise.

Our club needs to get tough with these twats

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 08:49:15 am »

Ha! snap! didn't see your post..' great minds..' etc

Offline ewok-red-97

• Main Stander
  • go easy, step lightly, stay free
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 09:22:54 am »
It's disgraceful the BBC are reporting it like this, but it comes directly from the City press team. The journalist has contacted them for comment and they've briefed, or are "privately stressing" the bus incident, the spitting last year (proved by a lengthy investigation to be untrue), and Klopp's comments r.e. funding caused it.

Awful behaviour, Liverpool need to push back hard against this.

This all comes a few years after a Liverpool fan lost sight in one eye after they were hit by a missile at the Etihad: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-fan-loses-sight-eye-12826212

Jay McKenna put it well here: https://twitter.com/JayMcKenna87/status/1581898143859236865

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2022, 09:23:47 am »
Slash their allocation by 50% for next season and any other club who chant like wise.

Our club needs to get tough with these twats

Are we allowed to do this without blessing from the FA?

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2022, 09:27:28 am »

i suppose we're under contract to act in accordance within the rules that they serve up otherwise other clubs could do the same to us
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2022, 09:29:32 am »
i suppose we're under contract to act in accordance within the rules that they serve up otherwise other clubs could do the same to us

They have done. United slashed ours once for persistent standing I believe.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2022, 09:31:58 am »

No idea...but if police back it think its do able..even trying too raises the profile of this shite.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2022, 09:37:37 am »
‘City do not condone the chants’.

There’s a fucking video of their players singing about our fans getting battered in the streets recorded in 2019.

That BBC article is an absolute disgrace, if that’s the briefing they’re getting from the City team then ignore it and write a decent article.

It isn’t hard - anyone signing Hillsborough chants is a fucking prick and should be banned.

Anyone throwing coins at Pep’s baldy head is a fucking prick and should be banned (but also a fairly decent shot as presumably the floodlights were reflecting of his shiny fucking head).

But seriously, that article is an absolute disgrace, I don’t get why we seem to be fair game for all this shit on the basis our fans haven’t always behaved perfectly in the past, whereas the likes of Chelsea who have a far far worse record, get a national incident called when a few fans sing the rent boys chant.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2022, 09:38:11 am »
They have done. United slashed ours once for persistent standing I believe.

that's a good point - and i suppose that was labelled as being for either antisocial behaviour or causing a public nuisance so we could argue the same
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2022, 09:42:52 am »
The idea Klopps comments, which were 100% true, fair and accurate, caused these braindead idiots to chant about the death of men, women and children more than 30 years ago tells you everything you need to know about the people who now run the club once known as Manchester City.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2022, 09:44:41 am »
Posted this in the City thread. I too am disgusted by that BBC article. Surely worthy of complaints? It beggars belief.

Genuinely shocked by that BBC article. Can you imagine that level of whataboutery if we were talking about different kinds of abuse? Anfield is full of survivors, families, people still haunted by that day, having their faces rubbed in it. Somehow Klopp saying that City spend more money than anyone else is an equivalence? It's absolutely disgusting. Interesting too that Guardiola's accusation of coins being thrown is the headline rather than our statement.

If he wants to make the point that the rivalry is getting more bitter and this is the latest escalation of it then fine. But while he seems to be able to reel off a load of largely insignificant things that we've done to justify Hillsborough chants he neglects to mention the fact that their actual players sang a song about our fans getting "battered in the streets". He neglects to mention the widespread booing of the minutes silence for Hillsborough at Wembley last season. He neglects to mention Sterling assaulting Gomez while on England duty after we beat them. He neglects to mention the total disrespect shown to us by several of their players, mainly Silva who didn't have the decency to clap in the guard of honour and who once again showed himself up to be a nasty little bastard with his lash out at Salah yesterday. But then I suppose that's all Klopps fault.

The bus incident was several years ago and it went too far. We have to accept that. However, nobody was hurt, nobody was in any genuine danger of being hurt either. They can't hide behind it forever as a means to justify the repeated disgusting actions of their fans. How they can blame us in any way for them singing about Hillsborough is absolutely beyond belief and I'm stunned the BBC is willing to peddle that argument without any critical thought.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2022, 09:46:27 am »
It’s just the fact it’s so obvious that City have briefed their dancing bear while making it look off the record/his opinion.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2022, 10:42:27 am »
Is time the club took a hard stance on it. If any club's fans come and sing anything like that then cut their allocation in half the following season. If they do it again then cut it again. And again.

Exactly. It will work.

There is a secondary issue, and that is that it sets a precedent for home clubs vetting  chants, and no club, ourselves included, have been blameless in the past.  Being the arbiter of good taste is an unenviable position. It strikes me that already such chants could be deemed to be "behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace.

But at some point a line needs to be drawn, and hillsborough chants seem a pretty good start point.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2022, 10:51:24 am »
It’s just the fact it’s so obvious that City have briefed their dancing bear while making it look off the record/his opinion.

I can't understand how you can't police such a small section of a stadium better. Hi-def cameras, audio recording and stewards picking people out and and booting them out live.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2022, 10:56:37 am »
Legitimately, is the BBC article worth official complaints from fans, get them to apologize for stating that such chants were provoked and therefore less worriesome?

What are the means by which one can complain for this?

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2022, 10:59:57 am »
I can't understand how you can't police such a small section of a stadium better. Hi-def cameras, audio recording and stewards picking people out and and booting them out live.

Liverpool don't have enough stewards to boot out the thousands of Man City fans doing this yesterday [or the thousands of united/chelsea and a handful of others that do the same when they come]. That's the issue here. Yes Liverpool's support has nobheads, but they are absolutely the minority. Go to old trafford and hear 70 odd thousand people singing 'the sun was right, you're murderers' or yesterday on sky sports you can hear man city fans singing the same, along with all sorts of other stuff. It's not a pocket of coked up lads, or one dickhead doing an inappropriate gesture - it's the vast majority of their end. It can't realistically be policed, so as others have said the response needs to come from the club and lead to reduced allocations till it stops. Enough of this shit now.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2022, 11:10:00 am »
Out of interest, if Klopp’s comments have allegedly provoked yesterday’s chants, what’s the justification for them booing the minutes silence in April? The bus again, I assume?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2022, 11:16:59 am »
Like I said in the abu dhabi thread in the general forum, that’s borderline libel, basically accusing Jürgen Klopp of provoking their vile fans to behave the way they did - therefore laying the blame on him, because he had the audacity to truthfully answer a question in a press-conference. 

Shit like that needs addressing, as the shills will carry on writing it, and get more outrageous each and every time.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2022, 11:17:48 am »
Legitimately, is the BBC article worth official complaints from fans, get them to apologize for stating that such chants were provoked and therefore less worriesome?

What are the means by which one can complain for this?
I believe it is worthy of complaint. You can do so by following this link, I've just done it myself. https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints/make-a-complaint/#/Complaint

Offline danscib

• Main Stander
  • Igor in the changing room
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2022, 11:52:13 am »
I believe it is worthy of complaint. You can do so by following this link, I've just done it myself. https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints/make-a-complaint/#/Complaint

Thanks for the link to make a complaint, will do one. What a disgraceful article.

Sorry I know it's not towards solving the immediate issue, but the BBC has been broken for a long time. There's a great book on how it's not a public service broadcaster, but instead a state broadcaster.
https://www.versobooks.com/books/3630-the-bbc

Good thing is research shows most people under 30 don't get any of their news from the BBC. Bad news is it's still important for older generations.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2022, 12:07:45 pm »

I think the Club needs to put them right in the rafters of the new Anny.

Purely for their own safety of course.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2022, 12:23:24 pm »

Thanks for this, sent a complaint just now

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2022, 12:32:08 pm »
Exactly right. And the way it was sandwiched in between Guardiola's claims that fans had thrown stuff (really poor form if true - but entirely unrelated to this) and City being upset at JK discussing their funding, had me fuming. I don't understand why the BBC in particular don't think this is something that could/should be reported on in its own right.
Anyone seen any video evidence for the coin throwing?
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2022, 12:37:57 pm »
All these media outlets and dickhead fans trying to pin the blame for the chants on a comment from Jürgen need to be asked to explain why they've been chanting them for 30 odd years!

It's fucking tedious how pure and pristine everything connected with our club has to be when every other club can continue to abuse us.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2022, 12:38:53 pm »

I was wondering that. Not saying it didn’t happen (but hope it didn’t). But in this day and age you’d expect footage to surface by now. Yet every paper and website seems to be leading on that as much as it more so than their chants.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2022, 12:39:31 pm »

No, much like there was no evidence of him being spat at. He's a filthy sub human lying piece of shit, yet we have even our own fans licking the ground he walks on.

Our club has been pretty disgraceful with the handling of this. It has been going on for years and years and they've sat doing the square root of fuck all about it. Our fans got vilified from pillar to post for singing a pretty harmless (in comparison) chant at Billy Gilmour, yet our club has turned a blind eye to opposition fans singing about Hillsborough for 30 years.
TV companies, journalists and pundits can't condemn us quick enough when we make a stand by booing their national anthem, but are absolutely silent when thousands chant about innocent football fans being unlawfully killed week in week out.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2022, 12:40:57 pm »
No, much like there was no evidence of him being spat at.

Be interesting if any evidence of their bus being damaged by liverpool fans emerges too.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2022, 12:49:03 pm »
Nothing will be done til the club gets some balls and continues to call it out at every opportunity and puts down the whataboutery we're seeing today.

I'm fucking sick of seeing it from people, I'm sick of us doing nothing about it.

Glad we finally spoke up yesterday.  We're too nice for our own good.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2022, 12:54:12 pm »
Nothing will be done til the club gets some balls and continues to call it out at every opportunity and puts down the whataboutery we're seeing today.

I'm fucking sick of seeing it from people, I'm sick of us doing nothing about it.

Glad we finally spoke up yesterday.  We're too nice for our own good.

I'm sure the club has released a statement before about it, but there's not a single person that has the bollocks to actually do anything. I would be shocked if there is any further action taken here either. A tweet and a post on Instagram is sure to put people off doing it on Wednesday, next week, the week after  ::).

Every person chanting it will be identifiable on CCTV, yet they will be allowed back next season to chant the same vile shite. If the club gave a single fuck about it, rather than putting out a tweet to give the impression that they do, they would identify these people and have them prosecuted and banned.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2022, 12:57:02 pm »
I see City starting a media campaign  to swerve direction from their fans...Klopp inflamed situation in press conference ( borderline xenophobic reports The Times)...bus attacked ( it has a crack in window could have been caused by  stone...but not proven by whome...or what!)..classic " don't look here look over there"

Online Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2022, 12:58:12 pm »
The Daily Mail have a photo of what is a small crack on the City bus window which is supposedly evidence of a ‘missile’ being thrown at it.

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2022, 12:59:02 pm »
Just read the BBC article.  Absolutely shameful report from whoever the fuck Simon Stone is.  What an utterly odious shitbag he is.   Got to be a mouthpiece for Sportswash FC.