Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3305343 times)

Offline redhokie8

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #28000 on: April 1, 2023, 02:38:58 pm »
There's an argument we are the worst coached team in the league at the moment, the overall strategy (tactics, game-state decisions, subs, transfer strategy) is so out of wack with reality.

Klopp should not go, nor should the question be asked. He deserves an opportunity to fix this.

However there does need to be a question of how this gets fixed, because from a supporter perspective week-in-week out we look reactive and poorly setup with no signs of improvement.

Would love to have a show with some combination of Neil, Stephen Warnock, Sean Rogers, Damian, Dan Austin, Neil Jones.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #28001 on: April 2, 2023, 02:52:28 am »
There's an argument we are the worst coached team in the league at the moment, the overall strategy (tactics, game-state decisions, subs, transfer strategy) is so out of wack with reality.

Klopp should not go, nor should the question be asked. He deserves an opportunity to fix this.

However there does need to be a question of how this gets fixed, because from a supporter perspective week-in-week out we look reactive and poorly setup with no signs of improvement.

Would love to have a show with some combination of Neil, Stephen Warnock, Sean Rogers, Damian, Dan Austin, Neil Jones.

Need a Docking, Senior, Guttman, or Kev in there. And some discussion of the extent to which this result is a reflection of financial doping, last season hangover, physical fatigue, aging, transfer neglect, coaching error, etc.  Saying it’s all of the above is probably right and probably useless.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #28002 on: April 2, 2023, 02:52:35 pm »
Quite cathartic listening to that whilst tidying up on a Sunday.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #28003 on: April 3, 2023, 10:52:59 am »
Stu Wright likes to make sure he's heard eh? Fucking insufferable.
:D

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28004 on: April 3, 2023, 11:02:49 am »

I’ve always thought that comes across as a sound lad, but I didn’t like him repeatedly shouting “No” over Lizzi when she was trying to ask him a question, particularly when the discussion was on Fabinho - I can see the validity in letting him go this summer if the right offer comes in and having Henderson as back-up in defensive midfield, but it warrants a discussion when someone is giving up on a lad who was man of the match in the second leg of a Champions League semi final less than twelve months ago. So, you know, let someone else contribute to that discussion without being so dismissive.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28005 on: April 3, 2023, 03:53:35 pm »
I disagree completely, I think he's a great contributor.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #28006 on: April 3, 2023, 04:09:16 pm »

What's so great about this:

I’ve always thought that comes across as a sound lad, but I didn’t like him repeatedly shouting “No” over Lizzi when she was trying to ask him a question, particularly when the discussion was on Fabinho - I can see the validity in letting him go this summer if the right offer comes in and having Henderson as back-up in defensive midfield, but it warrants a discussion when someone is giving up on a lad who was man of the match in the second leg of a Champions League semi final less than twelve months ago. So, you know, let someone else contribute to that discussion without being so dismissive.

I'd maybe expect it on The Pink during a heated debate, but it's the Monday show and he's going off and talking over other contributors after he's already said what he needed to and more. Not like Lizzi can't handle herself or anything but it was cringe-worthy stuff.
:D

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #28007 on: April 3, 2023, 05:11:29 pm »

Agreed and listening to it he didn’t come across as disrespectful. Best one on it

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #28008 on: April 3, 2023, 08:34:43 pm »
Thought it was a really good conversation. Really reflected what we’re all feeling about the reds atm i.e. we love them but we hate them.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2023, 08:47:35 pm by archie »

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28009 on: April 3, 2023, 08:35:01 pm »

Feel the same - think he's great every time he's on, which is less than he should be. Isn't afraid to say something different or criticise sacred cows either. Frequently find myself agreeing with what he says.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28010 on: April 3, 2023, 10:05:53 pm »
Agreed and listening to it he didn’t come across as disrespectful. Best one on it
Thought it was a really good conversation. Really reflected what we’re all feeling about the reds atm i.e. we love them but we hate them.

Feel the same - think he's great every time he's on, which is less than he should be. Isn't afraid to say something different or criticise sacred cows either. Frequently find myself agreeing with what he says.
:thumbup

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28011 on: April 4, 2023, 12:25:35 am »
Just listened, and agree with the above, I had no problem with the "no!"s, it wasn't like he was stopping Liz from getting her point across, just an impassioned conversation between two Reds. There was a moment of tug-of-war later on when Neil and one of the other blokes competed to be heard, but that's the risk you run when keeping it real. No worse than my daily zoom calls at work!

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #28012 on: April 4, 2023, 01:01:16 am »
It was good - and the shows need more debate

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #28013 on: April 4, 2023, 10:32:27 am »
The main show was a very good hour of podcasting.

It’s all obviously a bit grim being a red right now but I’d say it can lead to some interesting and intriguing chat. It was a good mixture of well-informed fans and emotional shouts that are allowed if you care about this stuff.

Neil played his role really well - gently pointing out how the realities of the situation can’t be solved with a full-scale clear out while the three contributors all had their own opinions which were quite far apart on a few issues. It’s rare TAW becomes a bit shouty and agro but I think it’s fair enough in the midst of a very difficult season. They’re all adults and they all held their own well.

The only issue I have is with the Fabinho stuff. Not that he’s been any good but the idea that his drop off has been ‘in the post’ for 12 months. Last June - as Liverpool lost the CL Final - there was zero chat about needing to replace him. The idea we’d need serious investment to solve his position wasn’t on the table. Hindsight maybe gives a different perspective but Klopp manages live, in the moment.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #28014 on: April 4, 2023, 10:37:18 am »
Souness was Majestic. In crowded midfields, on muddy pitches he created all the time in the world, he had an arrogance, that only the truly great have, he'd take a half glance at opponents with utter disdain as they attempted to tackle him, as if to say what the fuck are you doing, you're not in my league, lad, and the thing was they knew it, you'd see the best crumble under that sideways look of dominance, because deep down they knew he was right, they weren't fit to lace his boots, they knew no matter how good they were, they were imposters in his company. 

He's known for poleaxing players, probably the hardest I've seen on a football pitch but the word I'd associate him with is beauty, his movement, his anticipation, he did things you didn't think possible, he could stroke  forty yard passes with the flair of an artist, or play simple passes no one else could see, because he read the game so well, he'd see the runs, he created time and space in the middle of mayhem and delivered time after time, a genius with a football, he was also unselfish, it could have been all about him, he was that good but he was always a team player, he made everyone around him look good. Never have I seen a footballer more like  a manager on the pitch, he slowed it down, speeded it up, instinctively he dictated the tempo, knew what to do and when to do it., he should have had a baton he was in that much control. I'd argue a more complete football player than Gerrard. Remember him putting Jimmy Case on the floor when he was playing for Borough, he shocked Anfield, there was a collective intake of breathe around the ground, we were shocked and taken aback, you didn't do that to Case he was a hard man, hardest we had and souness had him on the floor, begging him to get up for a bit more on his home turf. Borough beat us two nil and I couldn't take my eyes of Souness he ran the game, two seasons later Paisley signed him. You always had the feeling Gerrard no matter how good, never quite knew his role in the team, he was the best player and led by example, where as Souness , never doubted his role and and lead the team.

Don't be fooled by the pundit or his managerial failure, he was the nearest I've seen to the complete footballer, a true leader who was wouldn't let standards slip but was generous of spirit, sense if someone was struggling and would pull them out the shit, move over cover their position as well, play two positions if needed, he invented cheating on positions, it's a real pity loads of our games weren't televised and most of the YouTube clips emphasise how hard he was because he was poetic at times and yes the same fella would have laughed at the likes of Keane and what went for a hardman later, before snapping him in two without a thought, but what is often missed is the beauty, his football genius. Souness the player I'd argue was the greatest I've seen in a Liverpool shirt, although for a season I did hear the siren call of Suarez, but that's is like comparing a firework to a bombfire one catches the eye for a while but one is so much more substantial in everyway

Just read this now. A sublime appreciation of one of our greatest.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28015 on: April 4, 2023, 10:58:41 am »
Just read this now. A sublime appreciation of one of our greatest.

Wish we had him in midfield now. He'd sort a few out. Opposition and team mates alike.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #28016 on: April 4, 2023, 10:59:42 am »
Wish we had him in midfield now. He'd sort a few out. Opposition and team mates alike.
I think Jay Spearing would do a job right now… :P

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28017 on: April 4, 2023, 11:16:14 am »
It was good - and the shows need more debate

agreed. always makes for the best pods when you've got people disagreeing with eachother imo
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #28018 on: April 4, 2023, 11:18:54 am »
The only issue I have is with the Fabinho stuff. Not that he’s been any good but the idea that his drop off has been ‘in the post’ for 12 months. Last June - as Liverpool lost the CL Final - there was zero chat about needing to replace him. The idea we’d need serious investment to solve his position wasn’t on the table. Hindsight maybe gives a different perspective but Klopp manages live, in the moment.

I dunno, maybe I'm doing the 'hindsight' thing here... but I'm sure I remember a fair bit of criticism of Fab from Reds fans last season too.

Maybe I'm misremembering though.
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #28019 on: April 4, 2023, 12:27:27 pm »
I dunno, maybe I'm doing the 'hindsight' thing here... but I'm sure I remember a fair bit of criticism of Fab from Reds fans last season too.

Maybe I'm misremembering though.
There was criticism as he looked leggy by the spring. However, I don’t think there was anything about replacing him. It was more about him getting a rest over summer.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #28020 on: April 4, 2023, 07:07:13 pm »
I'm sure Curtis will get the same treatment from you know who as Keita

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #28021 on: April 5, 2023, 02:14:36 pm »
I'm sure Curtis will get the same treatment from you know who as Keita

agreed. always makes for the best pods when you've got people disagreeing with eachother imo

Fingers crossed.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28022 on: April 5, 2023, 03:52:31 pm »
The main show was a very good hour of podcasting.

It’s all obviously a bit grim being a red right now but I’d say it can lead to some interesting and intriguing chat. It was a good mixture of well-informed fans and emotional shouts that are allowed if you care about this stuff.

Neil played his role really well - gently pointing out how the realities of the situation can’t be solved with a full-scale clear out while the three contributors all had their own opinions which were quite far apart on a few issues. It’s rare TAW becomes a bit shouty and agro but I think it’s fair enough in the midst of a very difficult season. They’re all adults and they all held their own well.

I can't remember who it was, maybe Neil, but someone raised the question about selling Fabinho. A combination of his stock still being high but a drop off in form and needing reinforcement. I didn't agree with it a year ago but I know fuck all really.

It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #28023 on: April 5, 2023, 07:43:07 pm »
I can't remember who it was, maybe Neil, but someone raised the question about selling Fabinho. A combination of his stock still being high but a drop off in form and needing reinforcement. I didn't agree with it a year ago but I know fuck all really.

Fair play but I still think it would have been a fanciful notion last June.

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #28024 on: April 5, 2023, 09:08:39 pm »
Fair play but I still think it would have been a fanciful notion last June.

The brilliant as usual former TAW mainstay Robbo agrees with you on this excellent 20 minute piece on Off the Ball. He covers all the ground, in all the right ways.

https://youtu.be/GY-8qVCR_Og

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #28025 on: April 6, 2023, 06:50:06 am »
The brilliant as usual former TAW mainstay Robbo agrees with you on this excellent 20 minute piece on Off the Ball. He covers all the ground, in all the right ways.

https://youtu.be/GY-8qVCR_Og
Ha. Robbo has always been a very wise fella!

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28026 on: April 9, 2023, 12:35:42 pm »
A few unrelated thoughts from me:

1. The kids are good. Generally, fans (of all hues) tend to be more skeptical of the knowledge and understanding younger fans have; there tends to be more deference to the older hands who have seen more. But it’s good to see younger contributors being given responsibility and absolutely holding their own.

2. On (male) mental health. It’s not something that affects me (or anyone very close to me) personally, but kudos for some bits that TAW have done on this area. I can imagine it reaches people that might not hear these important thoughts. I might be being unfair here, but perhaps some decision makers at TAW might have wondered if they should go with these, given that it might be considered a bit heavy and off-topic for many listeners, but they’ve carried on anyway, because it’s felt to be important enough to be worth it. Whether that’s true or not I think it’s been good to have these.

3. Neil’s pregnant “it’s…”. Possibly the greatest thing you can hear. His fast-paced general stream-of-consciousness tends to be excellent anyway, so when you hear that “it’s…” followed by a pause of between 0.75-1.25 seconds, you just fucking KNOW the next thing he’ll say will be gold. If he’s actually had to pause for that long to thing about it, then listen out for it, and repeat it to your mates. Sage.*

*unless he’s just having a sip of water, of course.

The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #28027 on: April 9, 2023, 03:38:04 pm »
I don't mean to sound like a divvy, but I'd argue if you're saying it's not affected you or anyone close to you, you're exactly the kind of person that needs to be reached.

Mental health isn't just suicidal thoughts and sitting alone in a room, we all have "physical health" just as we all have mental health.

I'd be very surprised if no male close to you hasn't at least had some issues with their mental health in the past, and I stress that doesn't mean they've had to be hospitalised or see their GP.

Not meaning to be preachy or an idiot.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #28028 on: April 9, 2023, 07:30:13 pm »
Mental health isn’t fixed - like physical health - so you will feel low at any given moment based on whatever’s going on in your life. That said, I think Farman is possibly suggesting that he’s never felt significant mental ‘dips’ to the extent that it’s given him genuine cause for concern or required any external support. As much as mental health is important, I think it’s also important to accept that many people don’t suffer in any major way and can get through downturns without much hassle. I appreciate that events can change this very quickly regardless of what’s gone on before.

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28029 on: April 9, 2023, 11:32:05 pm »
I don't mean to sound like a divvy, but I'd argue if you're saying it's not affected you or anyone close to you, you're exactly the kind of person that needs to be reached.

Mental health isn't just suicidal thoughts and sitting alone in a room, we all have "physical health" just as we all have mental health.

I'd be very surprised if no male close to you hasn't at least had some issues with their mental health in the past, and I stress that doesn't mean they've had to be hospitalised or see their GP.

Not meaning to be preachy or an idiot.

It’s a fair point. I didn’t express myself eloquently there. Fitzy has rightly surmised what I meant to say, in the context of praising TAW for covering the issue.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28030 on: April 10, 2023, 03:33:00 am »
Konate for the Ballon d’Or is a great shout  ;D

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28031 on: April 11, 2023, 01:56:07 pm »
TAWs Mike Bankole is now doing bits for Novara Media,  left wing politics show.
 Hes a good contributor to be fair, and managed to shoe horn two football references in
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #28032 on: April 11, 2023, 06:15:50 pm »
TAWs Mike Bankole is now doing bits for Novara Media,  left wing politics show.
 Hes a good contributor to be fair, and managed to shoe horn two football references in

Another of my favourite YouTube channels.

And yeah, Mike was very good. :)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #28033 on: April 11, 2023, 11:37:00 pm »
Somewhere a spontaneous show is currently being recorded.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28034 on: April 12, 2023, 12:08:14 am »

We want a Breaking Gutter to put this all into context, preferably after a few bevvies  :hally  :no  ;D

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #28035 on: April 12, 2023, 12:09:56 am »
We want a Breaking Gutter to put this all into context, preferably after a few bevvies  :hally  :no  ;D
Yeah, no sleep for Rob tonight.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28036 on: April 12, 2023, 09:22:07 am »

Hope so. Could imagine Kev Walsh demanding to be on the emergency "FSG really are fucking mingebags" Gutter.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #28037 on: April 12, 2023, 10:16:54 am »
Hope so. Could imagine Kev Walsh demanding to be on the emergency "FSG really are fucking mingebags" Gutter.

And somehow laying the blame at Keitas feet because he's "fucking shite"

Offline Schmohawk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28038 on: April 14, 2023, 11:29:56 am »
I hope Rob has people around him at the Gutter HQ in Zurich. It's been a difficult few days for all of us.

Offline Big Bamber

• Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #28039 on: April 14, 2023, 08:17:02 pm »
Props to Adam Melia for preventing an otherwise bloodless TAW Live after the suffering of Reds and Andy Robbo’s face this week!