Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3471406 times)

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #52000 on: August 17, 2020, 01:41:23 am »
Just watched Tesla. Absolute dogshit. It did have one of the funniest scenes I have ever witnessed though

Spoiler
Ethan Hawke as Tesla singing Everybody wants to rule the world  :o
[close]

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52001 on: August 17, 2020, 10:53:39 am »
Going the Luna Drive in tomorrow tonight at Tatton Park to watch "Pulp Fiction"

Never done a drive in movie before but it looks great and hopefully as well organised as it seems to be from the correspondence I have received.

Apparently we pick up a digital speaker on the way in.  As well as quality sound we can use a QR code printed on it to order food and stuff.

£35 quid a car which is quite expensive, but if me and the missus went out for a pub meal it would be more than that, so I'm cool with it.

Should be fun. :)

Thought that was expensive first but get another couple in the car and it works out cheaper than any cineplex. Loved going to the Drive-In in Atlanta when I lived there as perfect weather in the evening most of the year, could bring in your own food and even beer (as long as you are not the driver) and many a time you could stay and watch a second movie for discounted price. Brilliant to see they are coming back in fashion as believe there was only a handful left in the States at one time.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52002 on: August 17, 2020, 12:26:01 pm »
Thought that was expensive first but get another couple in the car and it works out cheaper than any cineplex. Loved going to the Drive-In in Atlanta when I lived there as perfect weather in the evening most of the year, could bring in your own food and even beer (as long as you are not the driver) and many a time you could stay and watch a second movie for discounted price. Brilliant to see they are coming back in fashion as believe there was only a handful left in the States at one time.

Not sure if i'd fancy watching it from a back seat to be honest but I hear you about keeping the cost down.

Back to normal cinema.  Reservoir Dogs is playing at the Odeon tonight. Love to go but simply can't be arsed leaving the house on a wet Monday and want to watch Inter v Shakhtar

Booking in for "Tenet" next Wednesday on the Dolby Screen I think.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52003 on: August 17, 2020, 04:40:23 pm »
Watched ‘Inception’ last night to warm me up for ‘Tenet’. Great film with an original idea that stays with you long after watching. I would however say that it does drag a bit in the middle.

Are you going to go watch that in the cinema? Apparently the film is 2 1/2 hours long.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52004 on: August 17, 2020, 04:46:10 pm »
Are you going to go watch that in the cinema? Apparently the film is 2 1/2 hours long.

I'm looking on going. I think Pattinson is one of the best actors about at the moment and I think Denzel's lad is good aswell.

I've missed going the pictures.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52005 on: August 17, 2020, 04:54:11 pm »
Not sure if i'd fancy watching it from a back seat to be honest but I hear you about keeping the cost down.

Back to normal cinema.  Reservoir Dogs is playing at the Odeon tonight. Love to go but simply can't be arsed leaving the house on a wet Monday and want to watch Inter v Shakhtar

Booking in for "Tenet" next Wednesday on the Dolby Screen I think.

We all had camper chairs so sat outside but understand there may be current restrictions. 
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52006 on: August 17, 2020, 11:02:19 pm »
Put on Project Power after the United game last night.

Got to twenty mins we decided it was shite.

$86 million budget as well,looks like one if those films that would been better as a TV show.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #52007 on: August 21, 2020, 11:40:59 am »
Watch Jumanji - Part 2 (Reboot)

Surprisingly good fun.

The actors did a really good job. Thoroughly enjoyable adventure. Quite silly. But fun.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #52008 on: August 21, 2020, 05:56:18 pm »
I'm watching School of Rock for the first time :D

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #52009 on: August 22, 2020, 11:27:03 am »
Well I liked that. Dead predictable but had a bit of charm. So weird it's a Linklater film though!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52010 on: August 22, 2020, 09:50:20 pm »
Zombieland Double Tap. Enjoyed it. Popcorn movie where you don't have to think about the subject matter. Good cast.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #52011 on: August 22, 2020, 11:33:33 pm »
Just watched The Prestige for the first time.

Was alright. 7/10
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #52012 on: August 23, 2020, 02:37:49 am »
Just watched The Prestige for the first time.

Was alright. 7/10

Christopher Nolan's most underrated film. Might be my favourite one of his.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52013 on: August 23, 2020, 06:53:57 am »
Insomnia is Nolan’s best film in my opinion, it’s one of the only ones where he lets the actors do their job.   One of Pacino’s best performances.

It’d be interesting if Nolan returned to smaller, less gimmicky films.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52014 on: August 23, 2020, 09:20:40 am »
Just watched Rambo: Last Blood. I enjoyed it, there was a few clips of the first film in the credits, which brought back some memories. It's a bit brutal in places, maybe hes still a bit angry after having to go and see Everton.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #52015 on: August 23, 2020, 10:07:50 am »

$86 million budget as well,looks like one if those films that would been better as a TV show.

Watched it this morning. It was shite.

Then again I don't like superhero films (except Nolan's Batman) so what did I expect
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #52016 on: August 23, 2020, 11:25:24 am »
Watched it this morning. It was shite.

Then again I don't like superhero films (except Nolan's Batman) so what did I expect

I had a rewatch of Batman Begins the other week. Still my favourite superhero movie. Nothing really comes close.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52017 on: August 23, 2020, 03:19:26 pm »
Just watched Knives Out tonight on Amazon Prime.

If you are into Who dunnit's ala Agatha's Poirot, you'll possibly like this.

Interesting cast, Daniel Craig, Susan Sarandon, Jamie Lee Curtis, Christopher Plummer, Chris Evans(Captain America) and even Michael Shannon(Boardwalk Empire) amongst several others.

While not exactly cerebral, it was still an entertaining couple of hours, though Craig's attempt at a Southern American accent was distracting.

Yeah, thought this was really enjoyable although I am a huge fan of Rian Johnson anyway.  Definitely worth watching if you like the genre.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52018 on: August 23, 2020, 04:40:02 pm »
My friend recommended "Hugo", a delightful story about a boy living in the bowels of the Paris train station, and he repairs all of the clocks in the station.  I won't spoil it for you. He's on a particular quest and gets involved with Ben Kingsley, Sasha Baron Cohen and Chloe Moretz. A movie that your kids would enjoy as well. Visually it's quite beautiful. And it was a Martin Scorsese project -- just about the last person I'd have thought would have created such a film! A little slow in spots but overall a nice breezy 2 hours. 7/10.

One little tip - if you are a fan of classic silent movies you'll also want to watch this. That's all I'll say.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 04:41:33 pm by soxfan »
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #52019 on: August 23, 2020, 05:23:55 pm »
If you've never seen it before, The Book Thief is on tonight, CH4 at 10pm.

Set in a small German town during the Nazi era, it's quite beautiful and semi tragic though finally uplifting little film with some great performances from the cast.

I'd highly recommend it.

Just a hint if you don't initially get the conceit, the narrator is Death...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52020 on: August 24, 2020, 10:01:21 am »
Watched Lost Boys on iPlayer last night, loved that film in my Youth.

Still holds up well for a Teen Vampire flick from the 80's.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #52021 on: August 24, 2020, 10:20:27 am »

Watched it the other night. Really average. Where on earth was that 86 million budget spent??? Did Foxx get 60 million or something? If I'd had to guess I'd have put the budget at about half that.

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52022 on: August 24, 2020, 10:31:12 am »
Tickets booked for Tenet on Wednesday night on the Cineworld Superscreen and I cannot wait. First cinema trip of 2020!!! I've missed it so much.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52023 on: August 24, 2020, 10:54:08 am »
Tickets booked for Tenet on Wednesday night on the Cineworld Superscreen and I cannot wait. First cinema trip of 2020!!! I've missed it so much.

Just booked me and the lad for Wednesday myself.  Was going to do the Odeon Dolby screen which is their "dogs bollocks" screen that's even better than IMAX

IMAX and Dolby screenings are showing a bit late so just doing lowly 2D.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #52024 on: August 25, 2020, 01:27:51 pm »
Saw "Proximity"

A low-budget Science fiction Alienzzzz film. It's about a bloke who gets abducted by aliens and gets actual documented proof

Spoiler

Starts out really well, if a bit 'teen angst'. Introduces a character who through suffering the loss of his dad is encouraged to video document himself.

He randomly (And spawnily) picks up a broadcast signal from the Earth and decides (randomly) to broadcast it 'out there')

From there he randomly is hiking, randomly sees a meteor and is randomly nearby when it hovers as a UFO. He then randomly gets abducted and randomly dropped somewhere else three days later.

He has material and provable injuries but never explores it (Except for some special effects later). He then uploads his alien footage and is subjected to adoration and abuse (online) in equal measure.

So far. So good.

Then. It turns basically into Wargames, chucks in a random love interest and a government conspiracy, a random hacker and a random abductee before going really off the rails with police androids and everything

Not really sure what to make of it.

Good idea that went a bit 'out there' itself half way through

3/10

[close]
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #52025 on: August 25, 2020, 01:41:50 pm »
Memento and Insomnia are both great. I think The Prestige is even better, love that film. Loved Dunkirk too. From a visual perspective I think that might be his strongest.

Batman Begins, again strong. The Dark Knight is more or less the perfect action film. They simply don't come better. Didn't enjoy the third entry as much.

Never got the Inception hype. Found it painfully boring the first time so haven't bothered giving it another chance. Interstellar started off incredibly strongly but devolved into nonsense. Tenet seems to be more like these two than others so can't say I'm hopeful.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52026 on: August 25, 2020, 01:51:26 pm »
I’ve always found Inception too cold, completely emotionless. Interstellar the opposite, emotionally manipulative, I enjoyed it a lot more than the former though, mainly because the characters were fleshed out more and I find McConaughey a lot more watchable than DiCaprio.

I think Memento and The Prestige are fantastic films and really enjoyed The Dark Knight trilogy, even the much maligned third film.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52027 on: August 25, 2020, 03:06:12 pm »
I really liked Inception. I absolutely detest Interstellar with a passion.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52028 on: August 25, 2020, 04:49:22 pm »
I’ve always found Inception too cold, completely emotionless.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AfzzclRSr-I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AfzzclRSr-I</a>

Online Bcnsean

• Main Stander
« Reply #52029 on: August 25, 2020, 05:00:27 pm »
I really liked Inception. I absolutely detest Interstellar with a passion.

Why?? It´s a great film!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52030 on: August 25, 2020, 06:19:39 pm »
Going to watch Peninsula (Train to Busan 2) tonight,it's an HD Korean PPV rip so brilliant quality.

If it is half as good as the original it'll still be better than 99% of the shite that's being churned out.

I love Korean horror.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52031 on: August 25, 2020, 06:37:48 pm »
Going to watch Peninsula (Train to Busan 2) tonight,it's an HD Korean PPV rip so brilliant quality.

If it is half as good as the original it'll still be better than 99% of the shite that's being churned out.

I love Korean horror.

Happy days. Let us know if its any good.

***fires up torrent site***

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #52032 on: August 26, 2020, 01:15:56 am »
Vivarium - hated it.

A movie entirely with no point.

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52033 on: August 26, 2020, 07:53:03 am »
I bloody love Interstellar. Nolan's films definitely have a coldness to them but Interstellar has so much emotion to it. Plus the score is fantastic and IMO it's got some of the best set pieces in modern cinema.

Anyway, so hyped for Tenet tonight.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #52034 on: August 26, 2020, 09:14:59 am »
Thought Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was great but thought the ending was way over the top with what the film was like. I know it's Tarantino and I'm fine with him blood and guts when it fits. This was just a bit odd

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #52035 on: August 26, 2020, 10:01:49 am »
Re watched Bridge of Spies over the weekend.

I'm not usually a massive fan of Tom Hanks films (it's not that I don't like him or think he's a bad actor. Just haven't liked most of his films and possibly due to an irrational hatred of Forrest Hump).

I've always really liked this time in history, so close after the second world war and seemingly so close to today.

Hanks is brilliant in it, I'd argue Big aside it's the best work he's done and Mark Rylance is absolutely fantastic as the captured russian spy.

Makes me want to dig out my copies of the Bernie Gunther novels and pray for a TV or film adaptation.

We also watched airplane! As it's too bloody funny

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52036 on: August 26, 2020, 10:46:46 am »

I'm not usually a massive fan of Tom Hanks films (it's not that I don't like him or think he's a bad actor. Just haven't liked most of his films and possibly due to an irrational hatred of Forrest Hump).

I've always really liked this time in history, so close after the second world war and seemingly so close to today.

Hanks is brilliant in it, I'd argue Big aside it's the best work he's done and Mark Rylance is absolutely fantastic as the captured russian spy.

Makes me want to dig out my copies of the Bernie Gunther novels and pray for a TV or film adaptation.

That film is crazy underrated. Hanks and Rylance doing some of the best work in their careers. It's Spielberg's best film this century and it's weird that it's kind of forgotten.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #52037 on: August 26, 2020, 10:53:36 am »
That film is crazy underrated. Hanks and Rylance doing some of the best work in their careers. It's Spielberg's best film this century and it's weird that it's kind of forgotten.
A fantastic movie. Interesting re. Speilberg's work this century. I'd say AI was the stand out, by far, but is so long ago now (2001) it could be last century!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #52038 on: August 26, 2020, 10:56:54 am »

Sadly the likelihood of an adaptation doing the series justice is pretty slight.

I'd love to read them in chronological order as I've only read them as and when I can get hold of a copy.

And Bridge of Spies was excellent.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #52039 on: August 26, 2020, 11:16:23 am »

Would it help?

It's great to see so many agree.

Sadly the likelihood of an adaptation doing the series justice is pretty slight.

I'd love to read them in chronological order as I've only read them as and when I can get hold of a copy.

And Bridge of Spies was excellent.

Yeah, in all honesty it probably would be crap.

Di Caprio or someone getting it.