Author Topic: Re: Liverpool Women FC (Goodison vs Everton - 24/03 - 13:00 ko) (*)  (Read 592509 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Evenin' all.

So how many of you know that Liverpool FC has a ladies team and that they play in the top women's league in England, the WSL?

How many of you follow the team's performances?

Do any of you go to the games in Skem or to the aways?

Did you know it costs only a few quid to get in?

Do you know anyone who plays for them, as in friends or colleagues?

Would you be interested in getting involved more, in promoting the team on RAWK, going to the games and reporting on what you see and experience?

We want to hear from you - here or in PM, we don't mind - we want to increase the profile of the ladies' team - they could really do with our support - and with 36,000+ registered members, there must be a couple of you close to this! Yes?

More information will be added to this thread in the coming days - player profiles, history of the team, match reports (sadly, they just lost this evening by a solitary goal to Everton, a team with more than a modicum of pedigree at this level) and much, much more. If it grows enough, we might even give it a sub-forum but for it take off properly, we need your input.

We're looking forward to hearing from you! :scarf

PS - this is a thread with a "(*)" tag - most of you will know what that means - anyone who doesn't know and posts *ANYTHING* derogatory or misogynistic on this subject will soon find out in no uncertain terms exactly what the * means.

I consider myself fortunate to have been involved in women's football for some years and I thoroughly enjoy watching it, having coached many players in the past and seen them develop from beginners to playing at the top of their game. This thread will not be allowed to descend into a "men's game v women's game" farce - neither shall it be allowed to read like the letters page of FHM or Nutz. Cheers! :wave
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 04:35:42 pm by kellan »

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
Re: Liverpool Ladies FC (*)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:32:40 pm »
Good shout this, I was aware of them but would be interested in learning more. Nice one.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 10:36:53 pm »
Great idea. I follow their results but other than that don't know too much about the team.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:37:46 pm »
Match report from Carly Baldwin (profile on her to follow at some point, I am sure ;) )

Everton (1) v Liverpool (0), Wednesday July 27th 2011, Arriva Stadium, Crosby (attendance c1,000).

"Liverpool’s lack of potency in front of goal again proved costly as they were edged out by a Natasha Dowie goal in the Merseyside derby.

Robbie Johnson’s side have now failed to score in five of their nine WSL fixtures, and, in truth, Everton may feel they could have won this contest by a bigger margin.

Liverpool started well but were unable to put Rachel Brown under any kind of pressure before the home side began to dominate.

First Vicky Jones then Danielle Gibbons denied Everton an opener around the 20 minute mark, as Jones slid in to block a Dowie effort, before Liverpool’s young goalkeeper turned a Toni Duggan strike around the near post.

On the half hour, Everton’s dominance did tell, but Liverpool will have felt that Dowie’s goal was preventable. Good work by Duggan down the left led to a harmless looking cross, but Dowie beat both Vicky Jones and Gibbons to the ball to turn it into the net.

Duggan almost doubled the lead when she headed Becky Easton’s cross narrowly over, before Liverpool finally registered a shot on target at the other end.

A strong run by Littlejohn ended with the ball breaking to Kelly Jones, but the energetic midfielder couldn’t get a true enough connection on her shot to trouble Brown.

Duggan then wasted another headed chance, this time directing her effort straight at Gibbons.

Despite the dominance of the hosts, the Reds should have gone into the break level. A 43rd minute Michelle Evans corner was met by Nicola Twohig, but, from around six yards, she could only head over the bar.

Half Time: Everton 1-0 Liverpool.

The combination of Dowie and Duggan again proved dangerous in the second half, as the home side tried to put the game to bed with a second.

That killer goal nearly arrived on the hour as Dowie latched onto a Jody Handley through ball before firing narrowly wide of Gibbon’s far post.

Minutes later, Vicky Jones and Sam Chappell both produced last ditch clearances to keep Everton out – Jones blocking Unitt’s shot and Chappell heading Duggan’s cross clear from underneath her own bar.

Ruesha Littlejohn’s tireless forward work nearly produced a Liverpool chance on 67 minutes, but her shot was tame after she broke from the halfway line.

Duggan then skewed a shot wide of the near post before Everton substitute Gwennan Harries was inches wide with a spectacular half volley.

The introduction of Nicki Harding added more impetus to the Reds’ attacks, but Everton nearly doubled their lead with a freak goal on 75 minutes.

Gibbons’ clearance was blocked by Dowie, but as the ball trickled goalwards it appeared to lose pace and Gibbons retrieved it comfortably a foot in front of her line.

Substitute Cheryl Foster almost salvaged a point at the death, but Brown was able to smother her shot.

The defeat – in front of over 1000 people at Crosby – leaves Liverpool rooted to the bottom of the WSL table ahead of Sunday’s clash with Bristol Academy.

Full Time: Everton 1-0 Liverpool

For more information Liverpool Ladies FC, visit www.liverpoolladiesfc.com and get involved!

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:38:13 pm »
I must admit I watched the Women's World Cup and was rather impressed by the skill, and technical ability. I doubt I will ever get to see the men's team play in this lifetime, the female team if they are in London might be worth seeing. More info appreciated. (Trying desperately to avoid any sexist jokes)
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:38:41 pm »
Do woman footballers get paid? I read somewhere only Arsenal ladies do?

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 10:43:32 pm »
Good idea this thread.

To be fair, know very little about the team or performances. Hopefully this thread will raise the profile as intended.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 10:46:47 pm »
Any (sensible) questions posted in here will be directed back to our contacts with the club, unless a fellow RAWKite can answer them authoritatively.....

We might even have found a subject that Southern Pansy might not be our resident expert on......for now ;) :wave

Offline BigAndy9

• Anny Roader
  • Djimi Traore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 10:47:21 pm »
Watch the WSL show on ESPN sometimes, never really followed womens football to be honest but it seems good. shame we are bottom of the league
"There are two important things to remember when debating with BigAndy9.
1. He is better than you.
2. He knows it."

Offline chris.volante

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 10:49:07 pm »
I saw ESPN's WSL review show last week, which was filmed in Liverpool. There was a good interview with the manager, which included him explaining the training and how it could be applied to a match situation, really interesting stuff. Also good to see a recap of the goals from last season's Cup Final - some great players in that Arsenal team.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:01:30 pm by chris.volante »

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 10:50:07 pm »
Won 3 trophies in 2010, well in.

Offline Zelnaga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 10:56:07 pm »
WSL? Women Soccer League?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 10:58:47 pm »
My eldest used to play for them. They used to play at the Fairfield pitches off Prescot Road many moons ago. Think the fire bobbies play there now...anyway, great standard, I'm telling ye now some of them girls were really skilful players, they'd take the piss out of most lads...and the tackling!, women know no fear, 50-50's are a look away now moment and none of this rolling over as if they'd been shot malarkey you get out of blokes and there was some great games of football played it has to be said.

Hope they do well, and twat Everton...who are very good unfortunately....well they were the last time I took an interest.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 10:59:11 pm »
WSL? Women Soccer League?
Women's Super League - more here - http://www.thefa.com/Leagues/SuperLeague

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 11:00:32 pm »
Just seen Birmingham are winnin' the league, what the fook, I thought Arsenal and Everton usually battle it out at the top, with the former usually winning by 9ish points every season, what happened to the Arsenal dominance?

*I know that if they win their next 2 games there joint top, but usually Arsenal lose like a game a season.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 11:27:21 pm »
A shame the .tv and tv channel don't carry much (if any at all?) news or info on the women's team or league.

The more publicity to raise the profile, the better.

Good luck to 'em for the season
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 12:00:37 am »
good idea this thread.  good luck to them. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:30:46 am by Pheeny »

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 12:12:31 am »
I know as much as the first ever game in the new WSL was a 3-3 draw with the bitters. I know Liverpool ladies are shite and are bottom of the league. And now i know we got beat in the derby.

Oojason, i think if the team were doing better they would mention it more on the website.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline IndianaRed

• Aaarghhh!!!!... my eyes!!!!... my eyes!!!!..
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 12:38:53 am »
third best team on merseyside?

Offline Jokerman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 12:42:50 am »
I genuinely want to follow them and see how they do and keep up to date with how they're getting on etc. but there is so little information out there, let alone any kind of television coverage for that to be possible. Skem is out of the way for me too (they should really play in or nearer to the city really, maybe Marine or Prescot instead, or even at the academy, but that's beside the point). Great idea for a thread though, to keep everyone updated.
How come Aquilani wasn't in the squad today?

Solving the drought in East Africa with his fancy flicks.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 12:50:13 am »

Oojason, i think if the team were doing better they would mention it more on the website.

aye mate - probably so, though it would be good for them to have a 'fluff piece' on it - something along the lines of 'the liverpool ladies are training hard ahead of their home game vs so-and-so on Saturday - they'll be playing their games at so-and-so ground this season' and give the website link for them etc.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 01:04:42 am »
My dad was their fitness coach for a couple of months a couple of years ago and I got to go and watch their sessions at the Academy, didn't think a whole lot of them if I'm being honest but I only saw a few training sessions.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 07:31:49 am »
My dad was their fitness coach for a couple of months a couple of years ago and I got to go and watch their sessions at the Academy, didn't think a whole lot of them if I'm being honest but I only saw a few training sessions.
The game is moving forward at an ever-increasing pace and maybe things have changed since then. A few years back I didn't think much of Japan as a team - then look what happened ;)

Offline MaschHead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 07:52:51 am »
I only read what's being posted here and on .tv to be honest and that's not much over the years.

Offline skooma

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our change into rain is no change at all.
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 08:02:35 am »
Two of my favorite things together. Footy and ladies   ;D

I'm sure Tranmere would disagree.

I've heard of the US Women's team playing teams with mostly 15 year old males in it... and losing.

Offline superJari-37

• Main Stander
  • Springtime fresh
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 10:20:24 am »
I've heard of the US Women's team playing teams with mostly 15 year old males in it... and losing.

lol really? c'mon i can't believe that.

i've followed the last couple of world cups and think that there's some really good players from all over the world, although obviously in america they're a lot taller and more athletic. Didn't stop Japan standing up to them though.

People go on about the goalies and that the normal size goal is too big, and sometimes there are occasions when the goalie looks totally helpless (through no fault of their technical ability).

I reckon a lot of the perceived inferiority comes from the size of the pitches. A lot of the ladies teams' skills and passing might make them look like bad players on a full size pitch, but i guarantee that in a 5-a-side match or something you wouldn't think that at all.

It might be an idea to do an experiment with pitches reduced by 10 or 15% in size (goals, boxes, length/width) as that would certainly help the goalies at least and might make the game flow better. Because watching a women's game does make you realise just how perfectly suited the size of the goals/pitches are to th men's game.

Locally i reckon Everton and Liverpool would get way more interest if there were places nearer the city centre that they could play. Unfortunately Everton are better than us lol, they have top quality players like Duggan/Scott/Fara Williams. But even if Liverpool finish bottom i still think they get to play in the WSL next year.
Feared by men and admired by women, Brendan Blake turned from the window and petted Larry, his barely-hominoid, milk-fed gimp

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 10:22:06 am »
Anyone got photos of our girls?

Offline superJari-37

• Main Stander
  • Springtime fresh
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 10:34:09 am »
There's a proper WSL website on the FA website, i'm sure they've got squad profiles on there. If not then the FA are a bunch of lazy ball-washin bastards (but everyone knows that anyway)
Feared by men and admired by women, Brendan Blake turned from the window and petted Larry, his barely-hominoid, milk-fed gimp

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 01:49:48 pm »
Anyone got photos of our girls?

There's a proper WSL website on the FA website, i'm sure they've got squad profiles on there.

Links to the Liverpool Ladies' website and to the WSL page on the FA site are already posted in the thread :wave

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 01:53:58 pm »
Couldn't see them beating the under 18s ;)

Good idea for a thread though. All the best to them. Hard to follow though as theres not much coverage of them.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 01:56:32 pm »
Good idea for a thread though. All the best to them. Hard to follow though as theres not much coverage of them.
Exactly. We're aiming to increase that coverage by publisicing activit - or did you mean 'in general' not much coverage in terms of press, radio, tv?

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 02:03:49 pm »
I also watched a few games from the recent world cup and was impressed with the standard compared to a few years ago. Some of the technical ability was really very good. Distinct lack of rolling around on the floor like they had been shot - which was very evident in the mens U19/U21's (?) that was on at the same time. Was pleased the Japanese team won, there was one US player who was built like Andy Carroll and was head and sholders above the rest - Might stand a chance of getting a game at Goodison actually!

If you are playing for LFC then I think you deserve our support full stop. It would be great to be able to encourage schools and the like to set up more teams for young girls to get involved at that level. They are always screaming about kids needing more exercise then what better than the greatest game in the world?
Boocoo dinky dau

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 02:05:40 pm »
Exactly. We're aiming to increase that coverage by publisicing activit - or did you mean 'in general' not much coverage in terms of press, radio, tv?
Bit of both really,there hasnt been much about them on RAWK mainly because theres sweet fuck all coverage of them on tv, radio etc including LFCTV so a set thread for them where everything related to them can be put together is a good idea and could increase interest significantly.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 02:05:59 pm »
Good point about how to get more people involved in the game, Davvo....

There was something about a free footie workshop for girls ahead of a game or a tournament.....there was a lot of info in the convo I had with their PR contact.....I'm just waiting for a press release about it so I can post it here.

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 02:21:19 pm »

I reckon a lot of the perceived inferiority comes from the size of the pitches. A lot of the ladies teams' skills and passing might make them look like bad players on a full size pitch, but i guarantee that in a 5-a-side match or something you wouldn't think that at all.

It might be an idea to do an experiment with pitches reduced by 10 or 15% in size (goals, boxes, length/width) as that would certainly help the goalies at least and might make the game flow better. Because watching a women's game does make you realise just how perfectly suited the size of the goals/pitches are to th men's game.

I was saying a similar thing in the womens world cup thread.

Honestly, its just embarassing watching it otherwise, the goalkeepers are turd, the players cant pass the ball with any distance and they get absolutely knackered after about 60 mins on a full sized pitch so the game suffers.

The problem is, it would probably be too costly for the womens game, as normal mens sized pitches are already available. But they really have to look into making the womens game different somehow - even if they play for 60 or 70 mins instead or something. Womens tennis makes it work, i think womens football will have to, because otherwise, watching it - its absolutely shite.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 04:02:04 pm »
I'm pleasantly surprised the club are now linking the women's website from the official one - when you go on team, there's a category 'first team/reserves', 'academy', and 'ladies', which is actually a link to http://www.liverpoolladiesfc.com/index.html

Shame they are not doing so well, wonder if increased awareness and support of the team could change that?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Kemlyn 28

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 05:18:12 pm »
I saw them once against Lincoln earlier in the season.it was pretty poor really,Liverpool in particular weren't up to much to be honest,and apart from a couple of long shots that hit the bar they never really looked like scoring,which tends to have been borne out in most of their results as they have only score in a couple of games.Almost certainly they will get relegated,unless they can sign a few players.It was only 4 quid to get in and free for under 16's which was good as I took my daughter to watch it.I'll probably go again if she wants me to take her but otherwise I won't bother,I prefer to watch Skem playing when we're not.

Pheeny

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 05:22:39 pm »
a quick reminder this is a * thread so WILL be heavily moderated so leave out the sexist/sexual comments.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 05:57:54 pm »
Shame they are not doing so well, wonder if increased awareness and support of the team could change that?
Undoubtedly.

I also don't buy this idea that a smaller pitch and shorter games will improve things.

What will improve things is greater investment in the game and better facilities and training.

jaygraham - I've watched countless games at a senior level and I'll tell you this - many of the women I have seen/met/trained with would literally run rings around many of the men at the equivalent level before said men can get a shot in.

Also, I can testify from personal experience that many female strikers can hit the ball just as hard as many of the men - I know that because I have been on the receiving end of shots from both genders and they bloody well hurt ;)

There is only one way for the women to play and that's on the same terms - same rules, same conditions, same everything. Just don't have the same expectations - and I don't mean that in terms of lower ones, just different ones. There is plenty about the women's game that is different and I find the vast majority of those differences to be refreshing.

*edit* - anyway, this is a thread about Liverpool Ladies FC in particular - I don't mind the occasional diversion but let's keep it on topic please - it's not a debate about the women's game v the men's game. Ta!

The aim is to promote/publicise Liverpool Ladies FC and the WSL in general - so let's focus on the team. I had another chat with the PR people today and there's some more info coming my way that I'll post in here as and when.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:00:28 pm by 24/7 »

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 06:01:15 pm »
Watched Bristol against Birmingham on Espn last night.
Brilliant game, hard fought and some quailty goals.

Liverpool bottom of the heap and winless though.  :(