Author Topic: The Decade that was...  (Read 2636 times)

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
The Decade that was...
« on: December 7, 2009, 05:28:57 pm »
It seem's like only yesterday we were all making plans for the Millenium and getting ready for all our electrical appliances to spontaneoulsy combust and/or meltdown. Alas, thankfully we all survived the Millenium bug and no microwave ovens imploded let alone planes dropping out of the sky on the stroke on midnight!

It's hard to believe that all that was 10 years ago now and as a Football Club it has been a very good 10 years, despite what some people may think!

The past decade has seen us in 3 major European Finals winning two of them, winning The FA Cup twice, The League Cup twice, The Community Sheild twice and The European Super Cup twice aswell as finishing 2nd in the Premier League, you guessed it, twice.

But our last ten years goes much deeper then these successes alone, we have been lucky to be involed in some of the greatest games in living memory let alone of the past decade, Dortmund, Istanbul, Cardiff all falling in this time frame.

We have seen players come and go, some not technically gifted enough to make it in red, others who would grace any pitch on the Planet. We saw teenagers come in, we saw a grown balding man of 34 arrive and turn back the clock.

We have seen a local lad grow from a skinny, awkward yet talented player to become the best attacking midfielder of a generation, anywhere in the World. Hamstrings permitting we get to see the best out and out striker playing the game today week in, week out, bouncing as we go.

In these times of ulta-modern Football, we have seen the pride and heartbeat of British football move from a locally owned Football Club into the hands of overseas management and become a Football Business nay franchise, many may say a fragile business, many more may say a fragile business in the wrong hands.

History has not always been kind to us but the last 10 years have brought us joy and improvement, much success on the park and with a little more recent luck it could have been even more. When you look back and reflect on this year, try not to be too clouded by current form, as we will get through this storm. The one thing that always remains constant within Liverpool Football Club are it's fans, look back with pride, remember the past, remember the 96, take a deep breath and get set for the next decade because histroy will be kind to us. Walk on.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Istanbulievable

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Decade that was...
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2009, 05:32:45 pm »
Top post mate.

Offline ricky69

• Main Stander
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2009, 06:46:59 pm »
nice one
+5 ticket exchange

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2009, 06:48:18 pm »
Yeah! ;D :scarf

Offline Alucard

• Tnuoc
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 7, 2009, 06:51:38 pm »
Top post, hopefully we can build on the last decade and match or even better the trophy haul. Some people will tend to forget that over the last 10 years we've won 6 major trophies. Hopefully we can start the new decade off with one or two more.

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #5 on: December 7, 2009, 07:05:57 pm »
We have seen players come and go, some not technically gifted enough to make it in red, others who would grace any pitch on the Planet. We saw teenagers come in, we saw a grown balding man of 34 arrive and turn back the clock.

Ah,great days..... still love that derby goal. was laughing and crying for hours afterwards! hehe!
My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2009, 07:17:11 pm »
And even though I've lost hair off me head, I've grown loads more out me nose and ears.... swings and roundabouts, eh.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 7, 2009, 07:24:23 pm »
And even though I've lost hair off me head, I've grown loads more out me nose and ears.... swings and roundabouts, eh.

Aye.  ;)

Offline GarethLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #8 on: December 7, 2009, 08:11:14 pm »
Thats a quality post that lad! I dont really log on and have a say that much because a lot of rubbish gets written, but that was really good! Here's to the next 10 years!

Offline djsworddog

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: December 7, 2009, 08:26:44 pm »
Nice post mate. Good to read things like that, when things aren't quite as sweet as they should be.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 7, 2009, 09:59:26 pm »
Nice post mate. Good to read things like that, when things aren't quite as sweet as they should be.

I always try to stay positive, through the wind and the rain.

;)

Offline JURGENKLOPP

• Thou shalt not steal. (books, from St. Thomas More Catholic High School)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #11 on: December 7, 2009, 10:19:04 pm »
Great post! Can't believe it's nearly 10 years since Dortmund. Been great fun this decade, Istanbul obviously with Istanbul being the highlight (what a night that was!) but there have been so many more. Cardiff, beating the Mancs there, Arsenal '01 and West Ham '06. The Chelsea semi finals and last seasons quarter final (second leg only mind). Madrid home and away, Gary Mac's winner in the derby, Roma at home and Ged's return, 4-1 at Old Trafford, God's homecoming.... Too many memories to go through ;D
It's been fun! Here's to another brilliant 10 years.
there goes me 1000th post.

It seem's like only yesterday we were all making plans for the Millenium and getting ready for all our electrical appliances to spontaneoulsy combust and/or meltdown. Alas, thankfully we all survived the Millenium bug and no microwave ovens imploded let alone planes dropping out of the sky on the stroke on midnight!
Thanks for clearing that up, I was only a nipper at the turn of the millenium and vaguely remember something on the t.v. back then about bugs and was recently trying to remember what it was all about.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 7, 2009, 10:59:08 pm »
Dortmund, Istanbul, and numerous Cardiff successes. There's certainly been plenty of highs. You can of course add some of the great occassions that have led to the above. Barca UEFA semi 2001, Olympiakos, Juve, and Chelsea CL 2004/5. Chelsea and Man Utd FA Cup 2006. And whilst they didn't ultimately lead to success, we can add Roma 2002, Chelsea CL 2007, Arsenal 2008, Real Madrid 2009 all in the CL. The League doubles over the Mancs in 00/01 and last season, plus of course numerous wins over our nearest and dearest. It's been an eventful 10 years.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 7, 2009, 11:26:44 pm »
PS - How could I also forget League double v Mancs in 2001/02?

John Arne Riise, ooh, aah, I wanna knoooooooooooooooow how you scored that goal!!

Great memories.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #14 on: December 7, 2009, 11:44:58 pm »
A far better decade for LFC than the previous one. Though not for League wins :(

Ive a feeling the next decade will shape our future for the rest of my life at least. 

'97, '02 and last year somewhere on another planet we wouldve won the League and would be on 21 now. But hey ho

Our assignment of Souness was catastrophic, he's given his successors a job 20 times harder than it couldve and shouldve been.

On another note and on a much brighter note, like the end of a storm in deep sea, The next decade will be Fergies last at Man Utd, built in winning mentality with him in charge is getting them through now
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Chat Rifles

• I'm sorry Wayne, finish your cider.
  • Anny Roader
  • Anything Is Possible
« Reply #15 on: December 8, 2009, 12:25:58 am »
Good post

Being European Champions in 2005 is an obvious highlight (though ironically also the first decade we've failed to win the league since the 1950s)

60s - 2
70s - 4
80s - 6
90s - 1
00s - 0  :(
10s - ?  :scarf

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #16 on: December 8, 2009, 12:30:21 am »
and I've got grey pubes, but no worries down there.

Nice post by the way, exiledintheusa..
« Last Edit: December 8, 2009, 12:32:17 am by Terry De Niro »

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #17 on: December 8, 2009, 12:37:21 am »
great post, makes a change from the usual and it makes me feel all gooey inside... as well as old.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline NeverWalkAlone96

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #18 on: December 8, 2009, 01:07:50 am »
Good post, makes you think about big picture and get away from merely sulking in the present

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 8, 2009, 01:36:57 am »
yikes, the last ten years feels like it's gone so quick for me. definitely better than the 90s which were just one kick in the balls after another.

Offline andrew1978

• Kopite
  • The Truth we all knew now known by all. RIP 96
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 05:01:48 pm »
2 x FA Cups, 2 x League Cups 1 x UEFA Cup, 1 x European Cup

Another couple of finals, numerous legendery matches.

What a decade!
Where once we watched King Kenny Play.....And Could He Play

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 07:16:24 pm »

What a decade!
this.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline HoraceGoesSkiing

• Main Stander
  • Dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 08:34:54 pm »

What a decade!

or......

Best european cup final, best UEFA cup final and best FA cup final.... ever!

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 04:52:01 pm »

or......

Best european cup final, best UEFA cup final and best FA cup final.... ever!

More to come!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 05:21:36 am »
great post.

Two European cup finals and Number 5. really thought that would never happen. some truly world class players at the club and one of our best ever managers. A Great decade, undoubtedly.