Author Topic: God Of War (reboot)  (Read 24799 times)

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
Re: God Of War (reboot)
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2018, 08:50:46 am »
Is it harder because the game is completely different? Because if not, it's the token stealth-that-doesn't-quite-work nonsense I already played. Same as all the others.

When a game forces you into playing what the developers want you to, I lose interest. Uncharted lost me when you had a fucking rocket launcher boss fight. Horizon lost me when they clearly wanted everyone to appreciate their world building instead of actually playing the game. God of War might not be like that, but it looks like it and I'm not paying $80 for The Last of Horizon 5: Drake of War.
Yes. Seriously, try playing it without the listen mode. It’s a completely difference experience.

The Horizon criticisms I can understand, and agree with actually, but not TLOU. It’s lauded as one of the best games ever and rightfully so.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2018, 11:50:43 am »
Yeah I played through TLOU without listen mode. I found it very survival horror and made Resident Evil 4 comparisons at the time.
:D

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2018, 01:59:47 pm »
I agree that these games can lack replay-ability, but other than films from my youth I don't tend to re-watch many movies either - it's a bit similar and both still leave a mark if done right. I think there are many games that are guilty of running from point A to B to unlock a cut scene, what sets games like TLOU apart is the pacing and how it blends into the general gameplay... I guess fluidity of all elements is key. Uncharted 3 and 4 on the other hand were incredibly guilty of this, for me. The Witcher 3 just about strikes the right balance in this regard whilst games like Skyrim or Fallout go too far the other way. But many people like those games so what do I know!

Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus are probably the best at telling a story through the world itself, that's definitely something more unique to the medium. Welcoming that these sort of games  are starting to sell more nowadays.

Agree on TLOU's multiplayer, put about 100 hours into it. Shame there hasn't been much like it since to be honest.
This is a point I was going to bring up as far as an actual game telling a story, I think it should always be done in a way where it makes the player feel like the character in the game instead of the player feeling like they are just merely interacting with characters from a film. The best game to have done this is Half Life 2, hands down. It hasn't been touched to this day. You're a character you never see in a cut scene, and you never speak, yet the interactions with the other characters you meet and how they are handled, all in game, brings about a personal connection that is better than anything that is purely just story driven in games like Uncharted and TLoU. Games like Skyrim and Fallout do the same thing. The story is told through the player choice and the world itself, rather than having control relinquished in order for a cut scene to happen. That's one of the things that made MGS games so annoying to play. You got some nice sections of gameplay, then about 20 minutes of someone talking bollocks in between the actual game. I know Kojima is another one of those lauded over developers that gamers treat like he's Jesus for some reason, but I've never seen him that way, and his game design choices and insistence on telling a fucked up convoluted story is the main reason for that. Expect his new game to be no different, although he's got ideas, and ideas go a long way in games, so I'll give him that.

Anyway, how'd we end up here? I suppose there's only so much you can do with games like GOW, but the drastic change going from a traditional arcade style actionfest, where you had inventive and amazing level design that ranged from the usual caves, ruins, etc, to actually fighting on the back of a massive creature, to what appears to be a more grounded approach. I just hope it doesn't lose any of that sense of creativity. The industry is such that very few games outside of a genre are unique. It's mostly all trend chasing, and you can see that with the likes of Activision, Ubisoft and EA, where if you were to pick a game from any of these at random, the chances are the other ones will all have several games in the same mould. It just leads to everything feeling formuliac and jaded. Right now it just feels like GOW is doing what Crystal Dynamics have done with Tomb Raider - made it a ND wannabe clone because that's the in thing. Once trends set it, its very hard to get out of.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2018, 04:38:52 pm »
There is definitely a homogeneous feel to a lot of supposed AAA games now. I think Just Cause 3 and Arkham Knight are the best games I've played in the last few years, they're completely different to everything else while being challenging and fun. I bought FarCry 5 but it was another one of those "look how large our world is!" games with nothing going on in between missions.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2018, 05:01:09 pm »
TLOU is a masterpiece, Uncharted 4 is boring :P

And GTA? I mean I love the scope but if you checked any of their forums over the years about 5 especially it's got a large volume who just simply don't like the game. I found 5 an initially interesting experience but returning on the now current gen I found the whole world shallow and the story cliché, uninteresting that was saved by a really good casting of voice actors. Which Is the opposite to Horizon which I think had the basis of something really captivating but the voice acting was so boring and robotic that I didn't feel invested.

Uncharted 4 and the last of us are the best two story lead games I've played. But that's why there's genres.

I think what's telling about these God of War reviews is that they're saying Santa Monica have put a bit of EVERYTHING into this formula and that it comes out on top in everything. If that's what they're leading with then I think that means labelling it a genre defining game isn't over-egging things.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2018, 05:08:07 pm »
And GTA? I mean I love the scope but if you checked any of their forums over the years about 5 especially it's got a large volume who just simply don't like the game. I found 5 an initially interesting experience but returning on the now current gen I found the whole world shallow and the story cliché, uninteresting that was saved by a really good casting of voice actors. Which Is the opposite to Horizon which I think had the basis of something really captivating but the voice acting was so boring and robotic that I didn't feel invested.

Uncharted 4 and the last of us are the best two story lead games I've played. But that's why there's genres.

I think what's telling about these God of War reviews is that they're saying Santa Monica have put a bit of EVERYTHING into this formula and that it comes out on top in everything. If that's what they're leading with then I think that means labelling it a genre defining game isn't over-egging things.

Totally irrelevant but GTA 5 is the highest grossing piece of media ever, which makes sense but is also totally crazy.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2018, 07:49:16 pm »
Interesting debate.

I definitely think the shine has worn off Uncharted now, 4 was a bit too much like grafting on elements of TLoU and went in too much on what was a slightly preposterous story (the whole brother thing, I mean all Uncharteds have daft plots but this was silly) even if I did enjoy it and wouldn't class it shit as people seem to.

I still find myself playing Nintendo games as there's just such a better ratio of game/other stuff - in some games, like MGS mentioned before, it's weighted all wrong. Who wants to walk between cutscenes all day? I can just watch it on YouTube - and shorn of gameplay, as rightly diagnosed above, games just don't tell stories as well as films.

Was not much a fan of the old GoW games, and can't see myself having time to play this, but judging from reviews I'd think I'd probably enjoy it more than the original ones.

On Uncharted Lost Legacy at the moment which may explain why I'm burned out on the formula, its well done but having the female lead with an archeologist father, its done full circle with TombRaider, which drew heavily on Uncharted in the first place, and the concept is definitely chasing its own tail now.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2018, 11:12:10 pm »
The unchartered formula has never been for everyone but 4 did never not justify the rating it got. It's only really here I've seen that sort of criticism with conversely - as far as I'm concerned anyway - OTT praise for GTA V which has sold units but is so, so overrated in how it's perceived; huge world, nice amount of wildlife which is nice but clunky controls, average story and frankly I cannot abide such an enormous map when the environment around you cannot be entered 90% of the time. I went back to vice city recently just out of boredom and whilst technically speaking it's shit compared to V it's just so much more fun both on a story level and in just pure enjoyment.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2018, 09:26:48 am »
Do shopto still send games early ? looking to get this Thursday to play on my day off..

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2018, 02:09:22 pm »
Uncharted 4 is a 'technical marvel' but the story is truly terrible, and there's absolutely zero challenge to the gameplay.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2018, 06:24:20 pm »
Not sure I can agree with GTA V being overrated. Oversaturated, maybe. What I mean is that if the previous GTA games hadn't been made, then V would have been mind-blowing, genre-defining stuff. The thing that still impresses me about GTA V is the detail of the world. I still think it's something that's yet to be matched. It's as close to a believable, lived in place as there has been in a computer game, and it's the scale of it without it feeling like a generic cut and paste job in the variety of the landscape from macro to micro level that's impressive. No two houses are the same, and you can instantly tell what part of the huge map you're at just by looking at the street. A massive amount of work went into GTA V, but for some reason, its games like Uncharted 4 that will get mentioned first when it come to detail and world building and as a technical achievement.

To me, there's no better 3rd party developer than Rockstar. If anything, it was GTA IV that was the disappointment. I feel they tried too hard to push the technical envelope for what was possible at the time, and the rest of the gameplay suffered. Sure, it pushed the boat out in that regard, and it was a massive step up from previous GTA's, but they went too far in trying to ground it and sacrificed some of the more satirical and fun stuff from the likes of Vice City and San Andreas. Good game, but not deserving of the praise.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:26:06 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2018, 07:11:07 pm »
Grand Theft Auto 5 the pinnacle of sandboxes and Rockstar are masters of this, no doubt. It's an improvement after 4 but still felt much less fun than San Andreas. Saints Row 2 I enjoyed a lot more than 4 and 5, there were just more fun things to do - the world wasn't as lush and detailed but it was thoroughly absorbing. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars was fantastic mind you, underrated gem on DS/PSP.

The Witcher 3 for me feels more 'lived in' than pure open world games like GTA, I think the key part to this is the world adapts around what's happening in the main and sub quest lines, right down to the smallest details. Whilst GTA feels like a suitably OTT simulation of the real world, I guess it's not an apples to apples comparison though.

I completely missed Red Dead Redemption so by the time that comes around I'll probably grab a PS4 again for GoW, TLOU2, Red Dead and Bloodbourne.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:14:22 pm by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2018, 09:24:24 pm »
Uncharted 4 is a 'technical marvel' but the story is truly terrible, and there's absolutely zero challenge to the gameplay.

Couldn't agree more. I actually hated it because it was such a let down.

Regarding GOW, are they doing a preload for it from the store?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline db1animal

• Anny Roader
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2018, 07:25:30 pm »
Couldn't agree more. I actually hated it because it was such a let down.

Regarding GOW, are they doing a preload for it from the store?

Yes went live this morning game goes live midnight Thursday/Friday GMT
Boston Strong. JTF96.  YNWA

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2018, 02:12:49 am »
I enjoyed Uncharted 4. It wasn't groundbreaking but with 3 previous games and the 2 Tomb Raider games it would have had to be something almost Un-Uncharted. It would have had to be a very different game.

However to say deep storyline based games have no replayability is bullshit I'm afraid. It all depends on your personality, how much you like the game and whether you have the patience and more importantly the time, to play the game repeatedly.

Also the fact that gaming has become such huge business, we are being bombarded with new games every few months so sitting down and playing a game we have already completed is difficult when we have just been encouraged to buy the latest offering. Also now online gaming is also a huge draw to people. I like gaming with other people but I really enjoy fucking those people off to go and immerse myself in say, The Witcher, BECAUSE of the rich environment that they created in that game.

Not all storyline based games have that draw, but no way do the CoD's or Battlefield's or FIFA's do either. Just coz YOU may not get into the story, to make such blase statements that storyline based games have no replayability is a bit nonsensical. I have replayed the Withcher 3 about 8 or 9 times.

One thing I would say is that if the story is not immersive enough the reward feels a little daunting to achieve coz of the size of the game. Maybe that is what you mean. I dunno. Just my 2 pence worth :D

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2018, 06:59:08 pm »
I mean, sure technically speaking V is exceptional for what they did on the last gen but I don't really agree with the assessment that it's level of detail was brilliant because -certainly speaking for this gen which I know it wasn't made for - it fails incredibly shallow. It feels like you're walking into a show house of technical dick swinging. It looks great at first but dig a bit deeper and it's not something you could spend serious time with.

I think the best I've played for immersion into an open environment is the Witcher and on a technical level Origins is exceptionally impressive but again you don't buy a game for just strictly looking pretty.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:00:41 pm by Chalky Boots »

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2018, 09:13:49 pm »
Is this the God of War thread? I'm confused.

Only 15 minutes in so this is extremely premature, but so far it feels like The Last of Us 2.

Certainly premature because the last of us 2 isn’t out yet :)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2018, 10:31:12 pm »
This game is hard. The combat is as good as ever. Different than the old gow but but just as satisfying.

The music at the beginning is incredible. Graphics are brilliant. I love this new direction.

It's gonna get compared to games like the last of us because of the father son bond is similar to Ellie and Joel but you can still see the old angry Kratos in there, bubbling under the surface, trying to keep that in check and also be a father figure, just doesn't come naturally to him. He can't show that caring emotion, at least not as the start.

It's really great.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2018, 09:10:43 pm »
Getting my ass kicked on the second hardest difficulty, three or more enemies + projectiles and i'm overwhelmed.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2018, 09:30:49 pm »
Make sure you level up atreus and use him. The game is supposed to become easier to a certain extent the further you go because your weak af at the start.

Spoiler
You found brok yet?
[close]

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2018, 07:23:33 am »
This game is hard. The combat is as good as ever. Different than the old gow but but just as satisfying.

The music at the beginning is incredible. Graphics are brilliant. I love this new direction.

It's gonna get compared to games like the last of us because of the father son bond is similar to Ellie and Joel but you can still see the old angry Kratos in there, bubbling under the surface, trying to keep that in check and also be a father figure, just doesn't come naturally to him. He can't show that caring emotion, at least not as the start.

It's really great.
Yup.
The first boss fucking hard on any difficulty as well. As you said if you level up things are supposed to become easier to dominate fights not only because of Atreus but also because you open up combos for Kratos which just aren't available at the start when it's just simply heavy or quick attack.

I've only had the time to play about an hour and a bit so far but it's one of the most enjoyable hours I've played for a long time.

Oh and throwing leviathan and recalling it is soo satisfying.

Offline Vlads

• Anny Roader
  • We've only won it six times..
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2018, 10:36:49 am »
Getting my ass kicked on the second hardest difficulty, three or more enemies + projectiles and i'm overwhelmed.

I have been playing on "Give me a challenge" and it has taken me a few wipes to get past some group of enemies (Path to the Mountain).
Just realized there's no difficulty level trophies, so might crank it down to "Give me a balanced experience" mode.

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2018, 11:24:08 am »
I picked God of War initially and that was way too tough. Every encounter was just too stressful so I dropped it down to give me a challenge which seems ok so far.

About 2 hours in and I’m loving it so far, the combat feels amazing.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2018, 12:23:14 pm »
Just caved and bought it, downloading whilst I watch the UFC from last night. Can’t wait to jump on it later.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2018, 03:35:21 pm »
Make sure you level up atreus and use him. The game is supposed to become easier to a certain extent the further you go because your weak af at the start.

Spoiler
You found brok yet?
[close]

I ran into him straight after i got past the place i was a bit stuck at. Still a bit overwhelmed at all the different controls, need to "git gud".

Wish i'd swapped the attack buttons before starting, think i'd prefer to use the face rather than shoulder buttons but i don't have the patience to relearn the controls.   :-[

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2018, 05:59:02 pm »
Evading is a bit similar to the witcher, so there's a big emphasis on rolling out the way, I tend to roll more than block and parry.

Its such a well thought out world. Playing with headphones on its probably the most satisfying thing I've ever heard whilst playing. The sound of the combat, the way the dramatic music builds, the enemies you encounter sound larger than life. The scale of everything is off the charts too. You feel like an ant at times walking around some of the structures and environments.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2018, 07:31:42 pm »
Absolutely plus I'd also recommend turning the HUD from permanently on to Touch (through the touch-pad), really makes you focus on the world around you and not just the compass plus it adds a bit more jeopardy to the combat.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2018, 12:08:07 pm »
bought this yesterday, can't wait to get stuck in.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2018, 12:29:28 pm »
Absolutely plus I'd also recommend turning the HUD from permanently on to Touch (through the touch-pad), really makes you focus on the world around you and not just the compass plus it adds a bit more jeopardy to the combat.

Changed the HUD last night to touch it's miles better. Also had to put the difficulty down, was on the 3rd 2nd hardest fucking hell it was solid! Might put it back up after a few more hours and upgrades etc.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:52:20 pm by Broad Spectrum »

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2018, 12:45:19 pm »
About 4 hours in, as I said earlier this is my first GoW title and I think the game is brilliant thus far.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2018, 04:06:50 pm »
I take my initial, premature moaning back. Brilliant game in all aspects as usual. Imagine if more developers were allowed to take their time and create art like this.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:12:14 pm by dalarr »

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2018, 01:11:14 am »
Such a well polished and well balanced game. It's like they've mashed about four different games together, kept the good bits and stripped away the bad.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2018, 02:53:13 pm »
Any souls fans in here playing this? Anyone feel comfortable drawing comparisons between souls gameplay and the GoW combat?

ie - top difficulty = bloodborne? or something like that.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2018, 03:12:03 pm »
Any souls fans in here playing this? Anyone feel comfortable drawing comparisons between souls gameplay and the GoW combat?

ie - top difficulty = bloodborne? or something like that.

I've played bloodborne and the first dark souls. Got about halfway through BB and about 2 percent through dark souls haha. I've heard some people draw comparisons but I'm not playing on top difficulty. There's a big emphasis on evading, or at least I use roll alot, I don't think it's as punishing as BB but there are certain similarities. But it's little more fluid than BB and the souls games, in that respect the combat feels a bit more like the witcher.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:14:15 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2018, 05:25:30 am »
Running this on a PS4 Pro through my LG 4k 65 inch TV... its fucking heaven.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2018, 09:08:42 am »

Cheers, think its guaranteed that I'll get it to be honest, just wondering if it's a top difficulty or lower kinda game..

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2018, 12:21:31 pm »
It gets a bit more like souls when you really start unlocking combo. I haven't yet tried it on the hardest difficulty because I'd get absolutely demolished right now. The combat is brilliant for what is essentially a linear game with RPG elements and not only that there's such an impressive variation in moves required against enemies, it's not a case of one style fits all which is so incredibly refreshing.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2018, 02:24:38 pm »
I only usually buy a game a year but this has piqued my interest with all glowing reviews that are flying round. I had the impression the game was open world in the mould of Skyrim? Or is it linear with an end goal? As it was mentioned that there are plenty of side quests and extras you can do without having to just play straight through doing the story

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2018, 06:39:51 pm »
 daren't play this for fear of breaking my ps4, it sounds like it's going to take off as soon as the main menu loads up, fuck knows what it'll sound like if i actually start the game

ps4 is clean and is stood up away from anything else so has decent airflow, doesn't do it with any other games

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2018, 04:31:06 pm »
I only usually buy a game a year but this has piqued my interest with all glowing reviews that are flying round. I had the impression the game was open world in the mould of Skyrim? Or is it linear with an end goal? As it was mentioned that there are plenty of side quests and extras you can do without having to just play straight through doing the story

The world kind of grows as you play the story, there’s plenty to do, it’s kind of a good mix of linear and exploration for me, it’s not a sandbox by any stretch but it always feels like there’s stuff that you’ve missed and when a new area opens up I can’t help but want to explore it.