Author Topic: Civilization 6  (Read 6095 times)

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Civilization 6
« on: October 21, 2016, 11:19:40 am »
FINALLY!

It's here....released today!  :D http://uk.ign.com/games/civilization-6/pc-20053504

Downloading as I type but I'm away all weekend and won't get trying it unfortunately until next week when I've Mon through Thursday booked off to get stuck into it. Can't wait! I got into it during Civ IV but much preferred the streamlined version of Civ V, this looks even better and much more polished! I sunk countless hours into Civ V and I'm sure this won't be any different!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:55:14 pm by Marty 85 »

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Cvilization 6
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:02:05 pm »
I've got way too much to do at the moment to even contemplate buying this but I look forward to seeing what improvements they've made.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 12:30:08 pm »
Looks good.

Quick question about Steam. The game looks to be £49.99 which is way more than others. However, it has an offer of Civilization VI + Steam Controller Bundle for £23.99. Does anyone know what this is?

Will I get the game I'm after and a controller that I don't really want?

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 02:17:24 pm »
Looks good.

Quick question about Steam. The game looks to be £49.99 which is way more than others. However, it has an offer of Civilization VI + Steam Controller Bundle for £23.99. Does anyone know what this is?

Will I get the game I'm after and a controller that I don't really want?

That looks like a fuck-up from Steam, they've given that bundle the wrong price and put it on sale, might be worth a quick buy.

Gutted as I just bought this an hour ago for full price.

Edit: Actually it looks like that pack is just the controller, think the description is just wrong.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:20:31 pm by Schmidt »

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 02:24:22 pm »
Don't worry. I don't think the Steam link will take the product into the basket now.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 03:05:16 pm »
downloaded a jarg version mainly cos of getting stung with civ v, will deffo pick up a legit copy if it's any good though

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 03:07:39 pm »
Can you change the typo in the title please, it's driving me up the wall.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 09:17:00 am »
Can you change the typo in the title please, it's driving me up the wall.

jeez sotp maoning :D

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 09:22:02 am »
Fcuk this!
So uncvilised!

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 09:27:45 am »
Have any of you slept yet?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 11:10:02 am »
Forcing meself to not buy this....

.. yet.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 11:59:14 am »
It's pretty much impossible if you're a Civ hardcore.
Civ is the mainstay of my life for around 15 years now and getting a new game gives me that 'one more turn feeling' you get when playing.
You think you're not going to fall for it, you think it's all just a major waste of time and so on )on your rational days), then again you love it and don't want to stop - ever.

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 12:44:34 pm »

.. yet.

Finding it much nicer than 5.....reminds me more of 4 although totally different...yes i know that makes no sense!

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 01:30:56 pm »
I've only played Civ V before this one really but never managed to actually finish a game, I tried II I think but didn't bother to figure it out and lost interest quickly. I'm 5 hours into a game in VI chasing a science win, but all of that research has just made me want to build an amazing army and steamroll everyone. Might make a backup save now and then try both.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 06:33:42 pm »

.. yet.
is right! Oh I wish I was younger and had the time to play this. Must probably wait until Christmas and that's just sad.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 09:57:36 pm »
4 is the best game I have ever played but I struggled to get into 5. Interested to see what people think of this! Might try the blag version out too 'cause 60€ is a lot to sink knowing that there will surely be expansions to come

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 10:19:21 pm »
Might well give this a go. Haven't bought a game for a few years. Just don't have much spare time anymore. Last Civ I bought was IV. Civ II is my all time favourite strategy game. Still dig it out on an old laptop once a year or so. Does anyone know if the new one will run on Vista? Haven't bought a new pc for a few years.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 10:59:31 pm »
Civ is the mainstay of my life for around 15 years now and getting a new game gives me that 'one more turn feeling' you get when playing.
You think you're not going to fall for it, you think it's all just a major waste of time and so on )on your rational days), then again you love it and don't want to stop - ever.

What's the new ones like, I gave up on it when they seemed to lose the pure strategy edge to it of the earlier editions. 5 just didnt float my boat at all
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 12:11:04 am »
Still play 3. Never tried 4 or 5. Never seemed worth it. 6? I dont know.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 12:25:01 am »
I think it's broken. Or at least, unfinished.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 12:37:29 am »
Do you know the thread title is spelt wrong?  ;D
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 06:22:12 am »
Firaxis is an American company so...

Maybe the UK & The Commonwealth countries could agree to common legislations that ban American spellings in their respective countries? ;D
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 09:29:16 am »
4 is the best game I have ever played but I struggled to get into 5. Interested to see what people think of this! Might try the blag version out too 'cause 60€ is a lot to sink knowing that there will surely be expansions to come

Try it before you buy, I still think it's more like 4 than 5...seemed to me in 5 you could only really have a few cities before everyone got fed up. Expansion seems a lot bigger in this like 4. Whole game seems faster/more slick like 4 as well...IMHO

I think it's broken. Or at least, unfinished.

You never but the first version of CIV....they're always broken :D

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 10:39:01 am »
Firaxis is an American company so...

Maybe the UK & The Commonwealth countries could agree to common legislations that ban American spellings in their respective countries? ;D

Pretty sure he means the missing 'i' and not the z/s ;).

Feels like the balance isn't quite right in this yet, I've been having to spend a lot of time building amenities across all of my cities to keep people happy. It was partially my fault as I've been conquering everything on my continent but even when I stopped I had to keep on top of amenity related research and buildings to keep everyone happy.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 12:43:20 pm »

Feels like the balance isn't quite right in this yet, I've been having to spend a lot of time building amenities across all of my cities to keep people happy. It was partially my fault as I've been conquering everything on my continent but even when I stopped I had to keep on top of amenity related research and buildings to keep everyone happy.

yeah the balancing needs tweaking a bit, had one game where i tried to keep my citizens happy, germany declared war and wiped me out, don't think the game lasted a hour, noticed that a lot of countries will kick off with you early on just for the sake it, you can be friends one moment then the next they have an army on your doorstep

if i concentrate more on military i seem to have problems with housing and amenities so finding it hard to strike a balance

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 01:19:50 pm »
There's no 'i' in denial. :-X

Would probably play this a year after release as I'm not the type to pay full price for games - major bugs should be fixed then, probably with DLC bundles at a more attractive price.

Spoiler alerts tho! :P

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 01:23:37 am »
some strange behaviour

just met the americans, seemed nice and friendly towards us, exited back to the main screen and noticed a red cross under roosevelt's icon so clicked it and it said they were at war with us, couple of turns later they offered us gold in return for peace

then kongo who were at war with japan and had just lost their capital decide to declare war on me as well, a few turns later they also offered gold in return for peace

every nation i've met plus a couple of city states have all declared war on me at some point, only china has tried sending any units my way and quickly backed down after i'd taken a couple of them out, the rest have negotiated peace without any fighting at all, thought it might be some kind of protection on the blag version but seems the ai is very aggressive and will kick off for no reason whatsoever but then also back down fairly quickly as well

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 10:11:44 am »
Brilliant game, finished one game on Prince, started the next one on King, still trying to be friendly with at least one other civ, seems pretty much impossible.

One funny bug, I had a joint war declared against me by India and Russia. The funny thing is that I was playing as Russia.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 02:50:40 pm »
some strange behaviour

They've given the leaders Agendas to make the games a bit more spicy, but I feel they work a bit too hard against the player. As you said yourself, almost everyone in every game seems to hate me no matter what. They don't care about being seen as warmongers at the start of the game but then they're all too afraid of going to war near the end. Needs a bit of tweaking.

Had Cleopatra offer a joint war with me, and then once I accepted, criticise me for being a warmonger. WTF. I thought part of her thing was that she liked leaders with strong militaries!

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 12:10:19 am »
So far I think it's much better than V was at the start. Most of the Civ I've played in the last couple years has been IV with Caveman2Cosmos, though, so it's a bit unfair to compare it to that. (Especially since C2C is so resource-hungry that it basically breaks the game's engine after a while.) Thoughts:

Good:
- I generally like the district system. It's not perfect (I hate not being able to buy/use a worker to repair damaged district buildings), but it's nice to see all of the buildings we construct represented on the map. Probably the best implementation of wonders so far, too...they look great.
- The great person/great works system revamp is cool. I like having the artists/musicians/writers produce real things that we can keep forever (and can be stolen). Archaeology is cool too.
- I generally like the culture/civic system better than V.
- The music is fantastic. The way it progresses through the eras is just great. Really one of the best parts of the game - I just wish I didn't usually play it with the sound off.
- There seems to be more variation in the art styles of cities.
- Leader portraits, while a bit cartoony, look beautiful.
- City-States are more meaningful.
- Sean Bean

Neutral
- The quotes that accompany tech advances/etc. are generally tongue-in-cheek. I don't have a problem with this on its face, and in fact like it, but it contributes to the cartoonish, less-serious vibe of the game that I'm not a fan of.
- The leader personality traits are cool and actually mean something now, but they don't always lead to logical actions by the AI.
- I have no idea how AI aggression really works. I like that they'll still declare war on me when I'm the strongest faction in the game, but when they do so is often nonsensical.

Negative
- The graphics. Ugh. Like a lot of people have said, the art style is straight out of a mobile F2P game. Civ graphics have never been grittily realistic, but this time around I feel too much like I'm moving pieces around on a board.
- There's little pomp and circumstance for transitioning into a new era (I usually don't even notice when it happens), and the Medieval, Renaissance, and Industrial eras go by way too quickly. I feel like there are too few techs in general.
- Because of the above - and this is hardly new for a Civ game - having your civ's unique unit be from one of those eras is fairly wasteful. My first playthrough was with Japan, and I had literally one combat with a Samurai unit.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Civilization 6
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 01:19:49 am »
Had all sorts of connectivity issues with this but halfway through my third game with my friend.

1st game was brutal, I settled on the coast and this game really doesn't make that worthwhile. In V it was a necessity.

2nd game was better but we couldn't get back into it for some reason.

3rd (current) game has been fun. Building the districts is important and figuring out the order to build things in order to speed up research/civics is neat. The biggest issue I have so far is how hideous the map is. It's all beige and the fog of war makes it a different shade of beige again even after passing through the tiles. You clear the map and yet in real terms it's still impossible to see anything or have an idea of where everyone is.

The diplomacy seems better. I captured an enemy spy and was offered money and luxuries for their release. It's been interesting getting to grips with it but the wonders take forever and barely seem worth it in many cases. Limited tiles + wonders taking up a tile + districts makes it frustrating trying to keep on top of everything. Replacing the food meter with housing/amenities has been poorly done too IMO.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 11:59:03 am »
Hah, do yourselves a favor and exclude Norway from your games for now. I played with 12 civs on a Large map, and by the mid-300-turn point I noticed that Harald had completely surrounded my water borders with ships. Interesting, and perhaps kind of cool, I thought, until I started paying closer attention to turn times. At around turn 400, they were taking 5+ minutes, which seemed long but not entirely out of keeping with previous Civ titles. I then read an article about a beta Giant Earth map with 30-something Civs that was taking 4 minutes per turn at the same point as my game on an equally-powerful computer, and that turn time was portrayed as being extremely long.

So I did a little investigation, and realized that Harald had a ship in nearly EVERY sea square in the northern hemisphere of the map. It must have been at least 200, maybe more, and I have no idea how he managed to pay for them. And the kicker? His turns were taking 4m30s alone, and the other 9 remaining civs were taking about 40s combined! I then attempted to solve the problem by wiping him off the map, since he was a few eras behind me and only had 4 cities, all very close to my borders (and in the range of about 20 Jet Bombers). I did this in about 3 turns...but when I ordered my unit into his last city, the game basically had a heart attack processing the death of all of his ships, and locked up. So that save's done, but in a humorous enough way that I don't really mind.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 12:26:12 pm »
Hah, do yourselves a favor and exclude Norway from your games for now. I played with 12 civs on a Large map, and by the mid-300-turn point I noticed that Harald had completely surrounded my water borders with ships. Interesting, and perhaps kind of cool, I thought, until I started paying closer attention to turn times. At around turn 400, they were taking 5+ minutes, which seemed long but not entirely out of keeping with previous Civ titles. I then read an article about a beta Giant Earth map with 30-something Civs that was taking 4 minutes per turn at the same point as my game on an equally-powerful computer, and that turn time was portrayed as being extremely long.

So I did a little investigation, and realized that Harald had a ship in nearly EVERY sea square in the northern hemisphere of the map. It must have been at least 200, maybe more, and I have no idea how he managed to pay for them. And the kicker? His turns were taking 4m30s alone, and the other 9 remaining civs were taking about 40s combined! I then attempted to solve the problem by wiping him off the map, since he was a few eras behind me and only had 4 cities, all very close to my borders (and in the range of about 20 Jet Bombers). I did this in about 3 turns...but when I ordered my unit into his last city, the game basically had a heart attack processing the death of all of his ships, and locked up. So that save's done, but in a humorous enough way that I don't really mind.

I noticed him trying to do the same in my last game actually, fortunately he was wiped off his starting continent and struggled to get a foothold on mine, so he ended up with only a few cities and ships. He still kept telling me my seas were undefended, despite me having 5 or 6 of the best ships the game had to offer while he still had his crappy sailboats.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 07:30:40 pm »

Argh! Shut it!
@Yvanicuzz

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2016, 09:02:42 am »
Ive just started with Civ V as Civ VI was £45 and the former was £20. Damned addictive game. Twas 1.30am before I realised and today I'm tired and grumpy.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2016, 02:52:33 am »
Ive just started with Civ V as Civ VI was £45 and the former was £20. Damned addictive game. Twas 1.30am before I realised and today I'm tired and grumpy.

Thats the beauty of Civ!!! You can lose days and not even know how.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 09:17:15 am »
Got caught speeding on my bike near Troyes 18mnths ago. Was satisfying to nuke the shit out of it last night. Napoleon is a bad mouthed irk. So I nuked Paris and Orleans and when I get home my battleships are gonna lay merry hell. This game is seriously addictive.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 6, 2017, 10:50:11 pm »
What are you playing Boots? Civ V?

What does everyone think of this so far? I'm enjoying it, the placement of districts and the new Civil tree I think require much more planning than previous editions. Once the new updates and patches come out I can see this being a 10/10 game.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 7, 2017, 10:49:23 am »
What does everyone think of this so far?

Enjoying a lot more than 5, thought that was just far too slow and felt very limited with the amount of cities you could have. As I said before, this reminds me more of 4, you can expand like mental and take over cities etc with no problem :D

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 7, 2017, 08:58:09 pm »
have they fixed the ai yet?

not played much since release as i couldn't be doing with everyone constantly kicking off and backing down over nothing