Author Topic: Chess World Championship  (Read 56675 times)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chess World Championship
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2016, 07:27:47 pm »
It's official... Svidler is an England cricket fan!

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2016, 07:30:32 pm »
It's official... Svidler is an England cricket fan!

That's kind of sad... ;)
What's even more sad is that Gustafsson doesn't drink (a lot)... :(

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2016, 07:43:07 pm »
And it's over...  :'(

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2016, 07:49:03 pm »
That's kind of sad... ;)

;D He's a big fan of Dostoevsky, so it sort of makes sense.

But bloody hell... that was fast... Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang chin scratch, scratch  bang bang bang bang chin scratch... pause. Shake hands.

So some blitz to come! Lovely stuff. Apparently both very good at it... obviously they are, but both VERY good at it.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2016, 07:50:42 pm »
Sort of fucked up my evening somewhat. Still... at least I didn't have a ticket stuck on my wall for god knows how many months. Some strip chess in the bar I'd imagine being organised right now.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2016, 08:16:50 pm »
Yes, it messed up my evening as well. No clue what to do now until I go to bed... ;)

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2016, 09:37:46 pm »
Woah that was quick.....  :o
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2016, 03:54:48 pm »
I was under the impression that these 4 games of rapid chess would be played over 4 days, but I'm wrong... they play all 4 games tonight, starting at 7. If tied... do they then go straight to blitz etc till a winner is found?

• for rapid games, 25 minutes with 10 seconds increment per move (3.7.1a). The player with the best score after four games is World Champion; if tied, players will play up to five two-game blitz matches.
  • for blitz games (except the final sudden death game), 5 minutes with 3 seconds increment per move (3.7.2). The player with the best score after any two-game blitz match is World Champion; if tied, players will play one sudden death game.
  • for the final sudden death game, 5 minutes for white pieces, 4 minutes for black pieces, no increment for the first 60 moves, 3 seconds increment per move starting at the move 61 (3.7.3). The winner of this game is World Champion; if drawn, the players will perform a singular arm wrestling bout to decide who wins the world title.

Going to be pretty intense.

PS.. is this thread not being moved to General sport because it's not deemed to be a sport? It is y'know...

Carlsen v Karjakin: it's sudden death in World Chess Championship

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/nov/29/carlsen-v-karjakin-sudden-death-climax-looms-in-world-chess-championship

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2016, 06:28:21 pm »
A little appetiser: 13 Year Old Carlsen v the then Number One: Kasparov.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WjEmquJhSas" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WjEmquJhSas</a>

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: November 30, 2016, 06:34:26 pm »
Apparantly, it's straight to the Blitz games, if there's a tie. At least, that's what it seems to say on the official website. There will be a winner today.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 30, 2016, 06:42:36 pm »
Eyes down: I just want to wish you both good luck. We're all counting on you..

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3ecaDYWXoZc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3ecaDYWXoZc</a>

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: November 30, 2016, 06:50:07 pm »
There will be a winner today.

Or very late tonight. This is when a proper live stream would come in handy... so the commentary doesn't lag behind. But Gustaffson and Svidler again please. Going to miss them after tonight. Don't really favour either player to win this... just want some decent blitz bloodshed.

https://worldchess.com/nyc2016/ (again, for the moves in another screen).

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: November 30, 2016, 07:02:57 pm »
I don't really care about either.
Nice that they have the clocks there tonight...

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: November 30, 2016, 07:41:39 pm »
:lmao

Gustafsson messed up the screen. I guess "PC skills" is not included in his CV... ;)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: November 30, 2016, 07:58:41 pm »
;D was a good moment. Shit me... a 6 year old and a 3 year old loose in the house aswell!

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2016, 09:23:56 pm »
How has Magnus not won that second game? I sort of fancy Karjakin to win the match now, sorry to say

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2016, 09:40:51 pm »
Was the second game a draw in the end? Imagine it was... had some technical issues with the kids. Can't see how he managed to draw that... was sure at one stage Bf7 was winning...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2016, 09:46:35 pm »
an early f pawn move from Black... lovely. Think Svidler is right here... Carlsen is hopping mad.

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: November 30, 2016, 09:51:18 pm »
Yep, a draw even though Carlsen had about 10 mins against Karjakin's 1 and a better position at one point. He missed a few winning moves in the endgame too. Not like him

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: November 30, 2016, 09:57:00 pm »
was intriguing to watch the moves on the app without commentary while 'I read' another story to an errant child upstairs. Will have to go thru the moves tomorrow, but couldn't work out why he took so long to play Bf7 with the King on g6... maybe a defence was f6... not sure... but was sure he was winning that. Hopefully he slings all those pawns up on the kingside... that's what Id do anyway ;D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: November 30, 2016, 10:23:05 pm »
Lost a bit of a trick for me with that ... Qg6 move from Carlsen. I know I'm an utter amateur etc, but I think he should have let go a bit there and allowed a bit of passion to come into it with ...g5!? instead. He had a good amount of time, and taking the gloves off a bit seemed to be a good idea to me - although maybe he was wary of 'passions' taking over... but still... a moment there now gone.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: November 30, 2016, 10:31:42 pm »
But he still won. As ever... what do I know. Nada.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2016, 10:35:41 pm »
This might be over. Don't really see karjakin winning the last game...
And what's the song in that chess24-trailer? It's quite catchy...

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2016, 11:09:39 pm »
This might be over. Don't really see karjakin winning the last game...
And what's the song in that chess24-trailer? It's quite catchy...

Can't see it either. Tho Carlsen has just played g3... interesting move when a draw would do and with so many pieces on the board.

Have wanted to find out about the song myself.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2016, 11:29:47 pm »
While we're starting to draw to a close... I was trying to remember a favourite story about a chess match played a good few years ago. I read about it in a daily column... a review of a game between two GM's, but the review was brilliantly evocative. Wish I could do it justice...

It concerned a blunder by white on the back rank where white ended up losing his queen. And the review gave some reasons for it... it went into far more detail and nuance than I can remember now, but basically... the GM playing white was going through a pretty messy divorce at the time, and so therefore the writer surmised, his relationship with the female chess piece was hugely compromised. Also, it went on... the GM in question had rather short arms, so moving pieces around the furthest edge of the board gave him a disadvantage. There were other equally brilliant observations... but it was beautifully wrapped up. Very left field, pretty bizarre, but an utterly convincing explanation of why a game was lost. Would love to read that again.

Black is not winning this.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: November 30, 2016, 11:43:38 pm »
Nice finish Magnus!

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: November 30, 2016, 11:44:11 pm »
Sweet sweet flourish by Carlsen there...

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: November 30, 2016, 11:52:28 pm »
Nicely done in the end...

I quite enjoyed watching chess24 and I might watch some more of their stuff. Today was not as good though as there was too much talk about chess... ;)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: November 30, 2016, 11:56:54 pm »
Really pleased that this competition ended with something a bit sexy from Carlsen there. Damn that was pretty... like a curling rabona into the top corner. Think he deserves it too.

I'm shattered just following it on the internet... particularly as this computer is on its last legs, but going to miss Svidler & Gustafsson hugely. They've been brilliant.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: December 1, 2016, 12:22:13 am »
Today was not as good though as there was too much talk about chess... ;)

Just not enough time to allow a wander was there? ;D Going to miss it.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: December 1, 2016, 09:03:14 am »
Yeah. It was to be expected with less time on the clocks but still... ;)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 5, 2017, 10:34:06 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/l9gquwAy2Ok" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/l9gquwAy2Ok</a>

Mods...can we stuff a chess thread into general sports? Doesn't seem right in the 'boozer'. A review of the chess year. Am going to try and keep up with things this year. Anyone see the So v Kasparov game? You didn't?...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yHv1zswY8bI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yHv1zswY8bI</a>

Love Blitz chess.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #192 on: January 6, 2017, 03:22:48 am »
I used to drink at a few bars across the street from where this was held, and Yes, I did play there a few times.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 6, 2017, 06:22:59 am »
Why isn't this thread in the general sports section ?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: January 6, 2017, 07:12:08 am »

It's a board game. Should we have threads in there for Monopoly?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 6, 2017, 08:18:06 am »
It's a board game. Should we have threads in there for Monopoly?
Really ? You are seriously comparing Chess and Monopoly ?  :lmao  :lmao One of the stupider comparisons I have seen on RAWK.
And didn't we have a thread on darts over there ?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #196 on: January 6, 2017, 08:21:59 am »

This is where it was started. Also by having it here, we get less humorous chess isn't a sport interjections.

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 6, 2017, 08:32:10 am »
This is where it was started. Also by having it here, we get less humorous chess isn't a sport interjections.
Really didn't know it was a debatable topic. Although I can see why - the lack of physical rigour? (Although a lot of GMs talk about the physical conditioning required due to the exhaustion and exertion involved. I haven't really played much so can't comment).
However, I feel the physical rigor definition is faulty logic. Btw Is snooker/billiard/pool considered sport?
By the same logic, a case can be made that Golf is not a sport as you don't need to be physically very fit to play.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #198 on: January 6, 2017, 04:40:51 pm »
Tedious fuckwits do indeed make all of those claims.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #199 on: January 7, 2017, 09:58:45 pm »
Really ? You are seriously comparing Chess and Monopoly ?  :lmao  :lmao One of the stupider comparisons I have seen on RAWK.
Indeed.  It's a ludicrous comparison.  :wanker

It's much more like Connect 4 than Monopoly.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.