Author Topic: Birth of an Obsession  (Read 16084 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Birth of an Obsession
« on: August 3, 2006, 03:20:26 pm »
Birth of an Obsession

The first time I saw Liverpool, I’ll be honest, I was a Huddersfield Town fan. It was a mid-season game in 1970 at Leeds Rd in the old First Division. I was 9 years-old and was there with my Dad and Big Tom, work-mates at the same Colne Valley mill and both life-long Town fans. The game I don’t remember much of, save Ray Clemence in a green peaked cap and a very muddy pitch. It ended in a nondescript 0-0 draw. It was a season of consolidation for Huddersfield who were back in the big league they’d once graced with such distinction after a 14-year exile in the Second Division. As for Liverpool, they’d started the campaign like a runaway train until the limitations of Shankly’s transitional squad pulled them into the sidings and left them looking to the FA Cup for glory.

So the game itself has faded and gone. But what I do remember with clarity is the crowd, especially the Liverpool crowd. In those days there really wasn’t much segregation of opposing fans and the travelling Liverpool support had been ‘given’ the Terrace. Older RAWKites might remember the Terrace at Leeds Rd (now demolished). It was a vast bank along one side of the ground that contained most of Huddersfield’s considerable capacity. To competely fill it Liverpool would have had to bring 45, 000 or so.  There were many thousands of Kopites there, but not that many, and consequently there was a fair bit of mixing going on. We had our regular spec near the top right-hand corner of the Terrace, and normally there was no difficulty claiming it since against the likes of Hull City and QPR there was enough room up there to have organised your own 11-a-side, which, as improbable as it sounds, some of us younger lads occasionally did.

Liverpool though was a different proposition. When we got into the ground it was clear that ‘our spec’ was on the fringe of the large Liverpool support. “What do we do Dad?”. “We’ll get our usual spot lad, we’ll be all right”. I wasn’t so sure. Football hooliganism had started a couple of years before, and by 1970 it had become something of a national obsession. Liverpool may have had a reputation as “the best-behaved supporters in the land” (“when we win”) but it was clear, from some of the things we’d already seen, that they hadn’t come to Huddersfield to have tea with the vicar.

Some of them had raided the juke box at the Market Tavern outside the ground and all the ‘45s were being flung down to see if they could reach the pitch (as I say it was a big terrace). People below were being hit on the back of the head by ‘Two Little Boys’ and Edison Lighthouse. I also knew about the razor blades that were undoubtedly tucked under the lapels of their Levi jackets, because Alan next door had told me he’d heard of a man – a would-be head butter - who had clutched such things in both fists only to fall bleeding to death in front of his intended victim.

We worked our way up the gangway towards the Liverpool supporters and edged along to our crush-barrier. There was this lad on it, a skinhead with thin eyes and even thinner lips, and a badge saying ‘I am a Kopite’ on his crombie.  He saw me being pushed towards him. “Dis yours?” That sing-song accent, a full symphony squeezed into two words. The first time I’d heard it in real life. I was too dumbstruck to speak.  “Aye that’s where he normally sits”. The first time I noticed that Dad had an accent too. “Well what we waiten’ for then?” And I’m hoisted up by the lapels (no razors in my jacket, fortunately). “Yawright la?”. I am allright - with my Dad’s shoulder behind me.  And with big Tom to one side. Yet, looking at them, they don’t seem too bothered, and a football conversation starts around me. But here we are, and it’s strange. Tom, me and my Dad on our barrier amidst all this red. Of course I’ve got a blue and-white scarf round my neck. “Everton is it, son?” says someone on the other side of the barrier “No, it’s Hudd….” A first lesson in sarcasm. Learned.

Truth be told, there was a significant part of me that was already wanting a red and white one. Not that this feeling had come completely out of the blue (as it were). For a good ninth of my life I’d already liked Alun Evans. The glowing yellow, helmet-like haircut that he possessed (I use the word advisedly) on the Panini cards – like something out of the ‘Village of the Damned’. I liked Hughes too. I can’t tell you why. The famous boyish enthusiasm might have subliminally connected I suppose.  My mum, who knew nothing about football apart from the fact that her husband and son adored it, once said he had a nice smile. I also liked Heighway – but for pure football reasons, that even 9 year-olds start to have. My Dad used to say “Look how close he keeps the ball to his feet when he’s dribbling”.  “See how he appears to leave it behind to invite the tackle”. “Look at the way he drops his shoulder, then goes the other way”. I looked and began to see. “You know last week, he threw a dummy, and 20, 000 people behind the goal had to pay to get back into the ground”. “No!” “There hasn’t been a player like him since Finney”. That was as big a compliment as you could get from Dad. He loved Finney.

At 4.45 we walked back down Leeds road with Reds everywhere heading for the station. Strange songs were being sung.  Songs that seemed to last for ever unlike the short brief music-less chants that fans of other clubs had brought. And there’d been some big matches recently. Leeds United had come to Huddersfield that year, Man Utd, Everton, Man City, Arsenal, all the big clubs that were battling for supremacy in the late 60s and early 70s. But there was something about this occasion that stuck. Not the scoreline, not the football played. It really wasn’t a great Liverpool team (although it was getting there). Not even the fact that the man with killer razor blades had turned out to be such a sport. Just the occasion. 

I went home with that terrible thing – split loyalties. But in football you can’t stay agnostic for long. By the end of the season I was a Liverpool fan, and the obsession had begun. The FA Cup Final appearance against Arsenal undoubtedly clinched it. I had a pal, Steve, who’d been born in Liverpool but whose folks had come to Huddersfield in the mid-60s. On the morning of the final we sat under a tree sheltering from the rain near our footy pitch on Coronation Rec and he’d got out his red silk scarf with little white FA cup motifs all over it. Steve had been talking about the Final for what seemed weeks, telling me how Bill Shankly was like God and therefore could ordain a victory. Under the pouring rain he did a David Coleman-type running commentary of how the game would unfold in the afternoon, replete with crowd noises. “It’s Heighway, passes in field to Brian Hall – another brainy footballer – who swings the ball out to Alec Lindsay. Ohhhh. Yes the crowd liked that. Cross comes in! Toshack. Yeeeees. One-nil. Awwww. Don’t know if you can hear me above the din. Awwww. The Kop have gone wild”. It was exciting listening to him, as vivid as the real thing, and he had me gripped as Liverpool ran up a 5 – 1 win (Steve had given Arsenal an early disputed penalty just to get the juices going ).

By the time I’d had my dinner and was on the settee with Dad in front of Grandstand I was a complete and utter Red.  I know I watched in awe at the build up as the Liverpool supporters – our supporters – taught their polite southern rivals how to prepare for a Cup Final (you see, some things never change). I watched as that bloke in the white uniform on the bandstand, who used to do the pre-match entertainment at Wembley, got the Liverpool fans to sing YNWA and then tried to get ‘Good ol’ Arsenal’ going only to find he was getting got another chorus of YNWA instead. I distinctly remember him waving his baton and imploring “Come on now, come on now gentlemen. You’ve had your turn. Let the Arsenal supporters sing their song!”. As if! (I’m not sure the band-stand guy lasted much longer)

Of course we lost the match - Heighway’s extra-time goal being wiped out by an equalizer that still nobody has claimed and then, for the winner, a deflection off Charlie George’s erect cock – or something like that. Arsenal had done the double. “They’re not a good team” said my Dad. “People won’t remember them”.  He was right, but it took me many years to understand the importance of what he’d said.

The following year Huddersfield got relegated – the start of that ignominious drop to the Fourth. Dad was too old to change allegiances, though he was as fed-up with the situation as me. So when he was flush he took me on a Hanson bus from Huddersfield to watch the Reds at Elland Road and Bramall Lane. Then, in 1972, we started going to Anfield.  I’ve posted on that experience in another thread, and on what it was like to be on the Spion Kop in the 70s. Needless to say it was fantastic. Like being at the centre of the world.

All I’ll say here is that – and I hesitate to go here – I always felt I belonged at Liverpool. As soon as I stepped off the train at Lime Street I was may have been conscious of being from somewhere else. I’m a Yorkshireman for God’s sake. The red brick instead of the blackened stone, the pervasive smell of sea salt in place of manufactured wool, the way a mere 60 miles can twist English from one strange idiom to another. But the two places shared things as well. The same wryness of humour (though the rhythm of story-telling is completely different), the same commitment to decent community-based values, the same proud history of working-class struggle against the boss-class.

Shanks, remember, had come to Liverpool from Huddersfield, and he clearly loved both places. He says in his autobiography on page 91 that, as manager of Huddersfield, he tried to buy a young Ronnie Yeats and a young Ian St John from Scotland, but the club had no vision and refused him the money. They also got rid of his two best players – Ray Wilson and Denis Law. You can imagine what a team Shankly might have built had these local mill-owners put their hands in their wallets. Indeed, with Law, Wilson, St John and Yeats in his team, he may never have gone to Liverpool. I know about the authenticity of my obsession. Like any Liverpool supporter, even one from Huddersfield, I shudder at page 91.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Birth of an Obsession
« Reply #1 on: August 3, 2006, 03:32:06 pm »
 :thumbup

really enjoyed that mate, nice read..
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Scarlet

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2006, 03:38:04 pm »
Read that and had to sign in to tell you how good it was.  Brilliant read, thanks.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2006, 03:38:19 pm »
It was Steve Heighway who pulled me in as well, once I saw him with the ball at his feet, I thought "that's how we play football too on the road, try and beat everyone".

Then I went into school, someone told me Heighway was Irish, and I was done for.

Offline scousejon

• Isn't called Jon, doesn't live in Woolton and definately doesn't sell iPhone cases
  • Kopite
  • If it aint broke dont hicks it
« Reply #4 on: August 3, 2006, 03:40:03 pm »
 ;D

great read, really enjoyed it.  my dad tells me loads of stories like that.  though were from liverpool and you where not, the stories are so similar.  i am probably guessing you and my dad are similar in age. 

anyway great read.

YNWA
JFT 96

"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline brunny

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 3, 2006, 03:45:16 pm »
great story mate, really enjoyed that
http://game2.mafiadeath.com/r/35526.php
MafiaDeath Username: gabrown

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2006, 03:56:50 pm »
Great read but ya still a wool.....                 ;)     ;D
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline lurganboy

• Legacy Fan
  • Look! It's that bellend from 606!
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2006, 04:31:42 pm »
Super post mate. Top read.

Stevie Heighway made me a red too. Had him on my bedroom wall, zapato moustache and all. For anyone who never saw him, think an exciting version of Ryan Giggs.
My first game as a confirmed red was listening to the charity sheild on the radio when Keegan and Bremner got sent off, seeing the highlights later and hearing my dad say 'Dirty Leeds bastards'. Ahhh, happy days.

Offline stescouse100

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: August 3, 2006, 07:49:30 pm »
Ive read some top posts on forums in me time, although that takes some beating mate a terrific read well done. I know its a cliche used to describe many wingers, although Stevie Heighway was truly a wizard of the wing, not many of those around in football anymore.

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #9 on: August 3, 2006, 07:51:00 pm »
Great post, and a nice avatar as well mate.  ;)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #10 on: August 3, 2006, 08:12:37 pm »
Great read. I started following Liverpool a bit later but my first time on the Kop (against Leeds) and my first European game (UEFA Cup semi final at White Hart Lane) were both marked by Heighway goals. I was also enlightened by a school friend in exile who preached the Shankly gospel. I guess the first team you ever see is the one that epitomises the club:

What a great side, the men of Shankly's best....

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #11 on: August 3, 2006, 08:14:26 pm »
Always wondered how Heighway and Dalglish feel about Fields of Anfield Road

Must make them proud

Great read by the way

Offline The Cappuccino Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • Aren't we free?
« Reply #12 on: August 3, 2006, 09:10:24 pm »
Great read that mate.

Nothing more to say really. Enjoyed reading that.
Formerly Mr Brightside.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 3, 2006, 11:30:56 pm »
I started following Liverpool a bit later but my first time on the Kop (against Leeds) and my first European game (UEFA Cup semi final at White Hart Lane) were both marked by Heighway goals.

The Leeds game was really something, wasn't it (the 1974 one?).

I was in the Anny Rd, desperately wishing I was in the Kop (that didn't come till next season). Leeds had been miles ahead in the league, but my memory is that we were catching the bastards up - a couple of more games in the season and we'd have been champions. It was the first time I'd heard the Kop serenading Shanks with 'Amazing Grace' - a beautiful, beautiful song, especially when sung so slowly as it was in the 70s. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Auspool

• Legacy Fan
  • We Came, We Saw We Never Walked Alone...
« Reply #14 on: August 3, 2006, 11:41:22 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyed that mate...Thanks, well done.
Don't lie, cheat or steal.  The Government doesn't like the competition...

Offline jlcjc8

• Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: August 3, 2006, 11:45:59 pm »
excellent read mate

Offline harmar

• Red Red Wine....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 3, 2006, 11:50:14 pm »
Top class post mate.

Swan.
"To be prepared is half the victory"   Miguel Cervantes

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 3, 2006, 11:52:53 pm »
That is the best post I have read on here in ages. Thank you.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #18 on: August 4, 2006, 09:32:46 am »
The Leeds game was really something, wasn't it (the 1974 one?).

I was in the Anny Rd, desperately wishing I was in the Kop (that didn't come till next season). Leeds had been miles ahead in the league, but my memory is that we were catching the bastards up - a couple of more games in the season and we'd have been champions. It was the first time I'd heard the Kop serenading Shanks with 'Amazing Grace' - a beautiful, beautiful song, especially when sung so slowly as it was in the 70s. 

Yes it was '74, I always remember the crowd was 56,003 or something. I was just gobsmacked for the whole game, the noise, watching the ebb and flow in the Anny Road and the sheer passion that flowed around the ground. For the life of me I can't remember the goal. Happy days!
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 4, 2006, 09:58:50 am »
I was at that game aswell (in the boys pen). Highway scored in the last 10 minutes.

Offline veritas1616

• Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: August 4, 2006, 11:17:28 am »
First class read mate. Thanks for posting.

Offline Saracen Salcano

• Would like an identity
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 4, 2006, 11:20:33 am »
Does anyone think that since the birth of the internet the Liverpool obsession has gone onto a whole new level?
COBRA KAI NEVER DIES

Offline Evo1975

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: August 4, 2006, 12:40:12 pm »
Excellent post mate, really enjoyed it, shows why our club is like no other.
Come on you mighty fucking red men!

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 5, 2006, 10:21:57 am »
Yes it was '74, I always remember the crowd was 56,003 or something. I was just gobsmacked for the whole game, the noise, watching the ebb and flow in the Anny Road and the sheer passion that flowed around the ground. For the life of me I can't remember the goal. Happy days!

Offside trap beaten, Heighway one on one with goalie (Harvey?), slips it under him. Pandemonium.

Those Liverpool-Leeds matches (all red v all white, no trimmings) were epic. We almost always seemed to get the upper hand too. It's a habit that Rafa's Liverpool has yet to master - regularly defeating your nearest rival. When he does (this season?) we'll be champions again.
Does anyone think that since the birth of the internet the Liverpool obsession has gone onto a whole new level?
An obsession is an obsession. Not sure the internet can deepen it, even if you can now indulge it more.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #24 on: August 5, 2006, 11:16:59 am »
Great post. I loved Heighway, he was so exciting
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Andyb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: August 5, 2006, 11:46:27 am »
Always wondered how Heighway and Dalglish feel about Fields of Anfield Road

Must make them proud

Great read by the way

???    does FOAR have a scottish connection? maybe i am lost, apologies if i have missed your point!
« Last Edit: August 5, 2006, 11:48:06 am by Andyb »
we no longer dream    we realise this is reality....we are this good!

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2006, 12:28:03 am »
Not seen this thread before today, great read mate.

Since this will get to the top again now, maybe more people can enjoy it.
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 05:00:10 am »
Read it the first time around but did not post in it. 

There is enough material on this site for a great volume of Reds' memories - what do the powers that be think?  Steve?

Online Huytonian

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2006, 10:39:40 am »
The best thing about this forum is when the romantics amoungst us give their testimony.  You're right about Amazing Grace/Shankly, it was really moving...well you said it, beautiful. Can't imagine anything like that now. RTK.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 01:31:51 pm by Huytonian »
We’re not English. We’re SCOUSE.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2006, 01:36:13 pm »
loved Stevie Heighway.  Remember going to his testimonial with a lad I knew who was a manc supporter but deeply respected Heighway and wanted to go to his testimonial.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2006, 01:37:03 pm »
???    does FOAR have a scottish connection? maybe i am lost, apologies if i have missed your point!

Do you know the words to FOAR?
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2006, 02:27:58 pm »
Fantastic......I really enjoyed that.

Absolutely awesome.

Its what makes LFC and its fans so special.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline so kop end lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2006, 03:47:45 pm »
A bit before my time    ;)  but a great read.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2006, 04:59:12 pm »

Marvellous dose of nostalgia.

I feel like digging out my Flemings jeans and silk scarf.

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2006, 06:10:57 pm »
Sound read that Yorky, pretty similiar to my tale being from Huddersfield and all but my following of the tricky reds started about 20 odd years later. Which mill did your Dad work in?
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline iwasthere

• Kopite
  • Looks like Chris Coleman apparently
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2006, 06:32:23 pm »
bloody hell, that nostalgia makes me want to crack out me motd vid from the 70s.

such vivid detail, i loved reading that mate :)
"Take me to see Chris! The unhappy sheep!"

Offline Cookie-7-

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high, there will be a golden sky
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2006, 08:44:23 pm »
Brilliantly written mate, really enjoyed that.

My own story is far less romantic, though I guess the obsession is just the same :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline chopperchittar

• Legacy Fan
  • Fellas, I'm ready to get up and do my thing
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2006, 09:18:12 pm »
What  a great read
fit as a butchers dog!

Offline lawrie

• Legacy Fan
  • Done the treble
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2006, 09:25:10 pm »
1970 was around the time I started going to football matches on a regular basis (sadly, due to monetary constraints, this was at Spotland rather than Anfield) and though I was a  fairly dutiful 'dale supporter, my true allegiance had been shaped since birth, rather forcefully, by my exiled Scouse dad. Your excellent post really brought memories from those times flooding back and I'll go to bed tonight with a dirty great big reminiscing grin on my face.

Offline Red Ged

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2006, 09:54:33 pm »
Great read but ya still a wool.....                 ;)     ;D

LOL! It was a good read though.