Author Topic: Ray Kennedy has died RIP  (Read 8416 times)

Offline jc2002

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Ray Kennedy has died RIP
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2021, 06:10:19 pm »
Not many players can claim to have been part of two great teams.
Not many players can claim to have been outstanding in two different positions.
Apart from Ray how many can claim both?

RIP

Offline Ruddock

• Main Stander
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2021, 06:12:40 pm »
I've just come back from a funeral to this news. So, so sad.

Case --- McDermott --- Souness --- Kennedy  = the greatest midfield I have ever seen anwyhere.

Ray is in my all-time Liverpool XI. Genuine legend.

So sad

So true. That midfield had it all. Toughness, skill, incredible work rate. Like Souness once said, ”teams can come and try to kick us off the park or teams can come to play. Either way, we’ll win”. RIP Big Man 🥲

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2021, 06:16:53 pm »
One of the very best to pull on a red shirt. Had the lot. Great passer of the ball, good in the air, sweet, sweet shot on him. And intelligent too. So often seemed to be in exactly the right spot at exactly the right time. Something you can’t teach but Ray had it in spades and just drifted (or glided) in at the back stick and either nodded or slotted it past the keeper with such exquisite nonchalance that you never realised til later how good it was.

I’m left-footed so I was often Ray in the running commentary in my head (or out loud!) as I ran onto another through ball down the park. “Comes through to KENNEDY!”. The resulting shot was never as sweet as Ray’s.

Ray was already doing great things for Liverpool when I started going (as well as the small matter of a double under his belt at Highbury) and he was an instant hero along with Terry Mac (and all of them to be honest!) Bob took great players and somehow made them even better. And Ray was one of the greats in a fantastic side; so to stand out as Ray did meant you HAD to be good. VERY good.

Anyone born in the late 60s was spoiled rotten with incredible players to stick on their walls and Ray Kennedy was properly idolised. He just seemed so cool on the pitch. That smile on his face after he’d scored, and talking of goals, Christ some of them were insanely good. I’m sure someone will post it but I need to see the one where he controls it with his thigh and catches it perfectly on the half volley as it falls onto his right foot, almost all in one motion. The ball goes past the keeper whilst he’s still wondering what Ray’s gonna do with it. Just one of many.

RIP.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 06:19:32 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2021, 06:24:45 pm »
 :'(

Was one of the first Liverpool players I remember, so he and others of that late-70s/early 80s era have a special place in my memories.

RIP, Ray Kennedy.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2021, 06:25:57 pm »
Really sorry to hear this news. Too many of our greats passing away in recent times.

He was underrated by some but not by Liverpool fans who watched him mature into a great left sided midfielder who had everything.

Always remember his goal and lofted assist in that memorable St Etienne quarter final second leg.

Hope he is at peace now after such a long illness.

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2021, 06:33:34 pm »
Sad News. Ray was a super player, worked hard for the team and had that special something. He was never underrated by anyone who saw him play twice.

My mother had Parkinson's so I can understand what he and his family went though, it's a tough decease to fight and live with.

RIP Ray, you were gifted and gave many a happy day to all who saw you play. 

Offline DTRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2021, 06:42:11 pm »
RIP to a total legend.

My Grandad went with Parkinsons and it's an awful disease. Ray had to live with it for 37 years, massive respect to the man.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2021, 06:47:07 pm »
Terribly sad news.

Ray was before my time, so never saw him play live. Everything I've seen, heard and read point to an underrated legend.

Used to travel to the match with his son, Dale, a good while ago now. My thoughts are with you Dale if you read this.

YNWA.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2021, 06:51:17 pm »
RIP Ray.  Pure class.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2021, 06:55:11 pm »
One of the greatest. YNWA Ray.

He is adored by the Kop with good reason. We shared so many of our greatest moments with him. Finals and big semi finals and league matches that felt like finals - Ray was always there in the eye of the storm. And what a calming influence he was. Never rushed, never short of time, always technically brilliant even on the mud heaps and rocky surfaces that we used to play on. The famous and critical goal against Bayern in the Olympic stadium was a characteristic one for Ray. It would have been so easy to snatch at that. But he played it to perfection. It was all balance, poise and control. Let the opposition do the rushing around. That was Kennedy. 

Thanks for everything mate.  Condolences to your family and friends.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2021, 06:56:40 pm »
Remember him signing for us. Shanks  nicked him from Arsenal, where he was a double winner when that was a rarity. We thought we had a great centre forward to replace Toshack.
Bob thought otherwise and transformed him into the best player in his position in Europe.
A true great, loved watching him play. He brought so much joy.

RIP

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2021, 06:58:29 pm »
One of the greatest. YNWA Ray.

He is adored by the Kop with good reason. We shared so many of our greatest moments with him. Finals and big semi finals and league matches that felt like finals - Ray was always there in the eye of the storm. And what a calming influence he was. Never rushed, never short of time, always technically brilliant even on the mud heaps and rocky surfaces that we used to play on. The famous and critical goal against Bayern in the Olympic stadium was a characteristic one for Ray. It would have been so easy to snatch at that. But he played it to perfection. It was all balance, poise and control. Let the opposition do the rushing around. That was Kennedy. 

Thanks for everything mate.  Condolences to your family and friends.

Were you at the Bruges Semi.
People talk of St Etienne, but for me that comeback was up there too. The crowd urging them on and that goal he scored was a screamer. Bedlam.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2021, 07:13:20 pm »
Favourite player along with terry mac. Rip.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2021, 07:14:24 pm »
People talk of St Etienne, but for me that comeback was up there too. The crowd urging them on and that goal he scored was a screamer. Bedlam.

That was my first European final. The first leg, right? Ray was involved in the other two goals as well I think.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2021, 07:15:17 pm »
Absolutely gutted - was one of my all time favourite players and like Sir Bob said, also one of the most underrated players ever.

RIP Ray
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2021, 07:18:04 pm »
That was my first European final. The first leg, right? Ray was involved in the other two goals as well I think.
Hit the post for his mate Case to tap in and yes it was the first leg of the final.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2021, 07:20:03 pm »
RIP.  Great player that my dad loved.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2021, 07:21:48 pm »
RIP
What a player

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2021, 07:23:32 pm »
Terrible news. 😥

I was lucky enough to see Ray play regularly.

A fantastic player for both Arsenal and Liverpool.

RIP Ray. Thanks for the wonderful memories.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2021, 07:25:55 pm »

often overlooked in great nights at Anfield but yes up there with the best. Remember their brass band in paddock?

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2021, 07:28:27 pm »
A special player indeed. Thank you for the memories Ray - YNWA

Sad news and my condolences to his family and friends.

@Yvanicuzz

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2021, 07:31:29 pm »
A true legend of the game.  YNWA.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2021, 07:33:09 pm »
RIP

Offline driftinwest

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone.
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2021, 07:40:18 pm »
R.I.P. Ray
A truly great player it was a privilege to see him play in a red shirt
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2021, 07:41:44 pm »
Lots of great memories of Ray K. He was a brilliant footballer and it’s very sad that a horrid illness set in when he was relatively young, and then claimed him relatively young.

RIP.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2021, 08:01:48 pm »
One of my heroes as a kid. I remember being amazed when I found out that he played for Arsenal before us - to me he was the perfect Liverpool player.

R.I.P. Ray
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2021, 08:05:33 pm »
Brilliant player for both us and Arsenal; rip Ray  :(
YNWA  :scarf
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2021, 08:07:55 pm »
Really sorry to hear this news. Too many of our greats passing away in recent times.

He was underrated by some but not by Liverpool fans who watched him mature into a great left sided midfielder who had everything.

Always remember his goal and lofted assist in that memorable St Etienne quarter final second leg.

I don't think he was underrated by any football supporter from that time, don't know were you got that from..

Hope he is at peace now after such a long illness.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2021, 08:11:31 pm »
Don't think he was underrated by any football supporters from that time, don't know were you got that from..

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2021, 08:16:30 pm »
A superb footballer, a genuine utility player and a thoroughly lovely bloke.

It's really sad losing Ray to such a horrible disease that gripped him a while ago.

RIP Ray. YNWA.

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2021, 08:26:35 pm »
Sad. Scored the first ever goal I saw scored at Anfield. 1980 in a 2-0 victory over Southampton. Everything he did looked so easy then.

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2021, 08:27:08 pm »
Augh, what a loss. Great player. I told an old school City fan the news and he went straight into a story about how Ray came to his work place and the Liverpool fans just turned into giggling school girls :D hanging on his every word. A passing United fan stopped in his tracks 'What a player. RIP.'

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2021, 08:43:57 pm »
When I grew up, everyone went for Kenny as their hero, for me it was always Ray, there was just something about that bold white number 5, on a red shirt, carried by a very upright, yet wonderfully balanced joy of a player - that was Ray Kennedy.
When people pick their best Liverpool eleven, everyone puts Barnes on the left, I always have Ray.

Bob Paisley tells a story about Ray being the player most managers tried to sign from him, even other mangers recognised his brilliance and that was what he was - a dependable brilliant genius with a touch like silk and a shot like dynamite. He was poetry in motion.

In latter years The Ray of Hope charity was a fitting an wonderful gesture for this club legend and I am more than convinced, there will be Arsenal fans tonight as broken hearted as this Ray Kennedy, fan is.

Goodnight and god bless Ray Kennedy, my hero. X

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:58:12 pm by CHOPPER »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2021, 08:55:40 pm »
RIP Ray Kennedy a legend
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2021, 08:57:04 pm »
A legend at two clubs.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2021, 09:01:06 pm »
RIP

One of a kind.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2021, 09:14:27 pm »
Terrible news, one of my hero's growing up, if I couldn't be Kenny when we were playing footie then I'd always be Ray

R.I.P Ray

Offline rothers

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2021, 09:14:39 pm »
Never saw him play, but the medals & tributes tell you everything you need to know.

Would he have had a song that we can sing in his memory?

RIP Ray

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2021, 09:16:32 pm »
RIP Ray
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2021, 09:22:45 pm »
RIP Ray.

Converted from striker to a top midfielder. 
We are Loyal Supporters