Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 4 vs 0 Arsenal Mane ‘40 Jota ‘52 Salah ‘73 Minamino ‘77  (Read 21884 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Liverpool vs Arsenal
Saturday, November 20, 17:30
Anfield, Liverpool

In Sweden, as strange as it may sound, English football is a cultural heritage. On a Saturday afternoon in the 80's when I grew up, my dad would have the TV on and watch the game of that week. The 3 pm kick-off (4 pm for us). He travelled in business quite a lot and he had went to Japan around that time and bought a Nintendo. I was the first kid in the neighbourhood to have a video game and all the other boys would come over and we'd sit on the wall-to-wall carpet and watch in awe that you could move things on the screen. The first game was Soccer and we loved it.

My dad never played though. He would watch the telly and I would watch and the broadcast would have pop-ups when there was a goal scored in the other games. You bet on 13 games in total - Stryktipset - and if you'd get all 13 matches correct it'd be half a fortune. I don't remember much of it but I distinctively remember that he one time had to go away for a minute and he asked me to remember the score if something came up. I was so nervous that I would mess it up, unaware that it'd be in the paper the next day, or read by the host after the match. I did mess it up, there were too many numbers to keep track of, but my dad said it was all right. He didn't mind. We'd have beans on toast and watch the Saturday game. That was England. For me and many other Swedish lads it was an institution.

I don't remember Liverpool. I don't remember Arsenal. Maybe I do remember that the pitch was always half mud. However, I do remember many years later that magical 25 minutes at Anfield in 2014 when we were winning 4-0 going on 8. The absolutely exhilarating feeling that we were like a space rocket taking off and nothing could stop us. Or that win away, just at the start of the 16/17 season, when Mané appears to defy gravity and score a wonder-goal eventually leading to a narrow but emphatic win. We always seem to have exciting games against Arsenal. Always a thrill. Always drama.

Liverpool this season have been doing quite well overall.

Looking back, ever since Klopp came in - emphasized by Virgil and Alisson joining - we seem to have improved continuously. Apart from the middle of last season (when the weight of all the injuries eventually led to a depression which we came out of with renewed vigour and strength testament by an injury time goalkeeper header) we seem to have made one good decision after the other, not the least in the recruitment department. We don't sign a 100 million player to sit on the bench since a former superstar gets mopey if he doesn't start. We don't sign players that may have a bad attitude, or frankly, is not good people. We get team players with the revered ethos of professionalism, who could slot in and join a captain who visits NHS staff who wants to thank him but is direct in explaining that he is not there for them to thank him - he is there to thank them.

Of course, even in the Liverpool that Klopp has rebuilt, it's not always rosy. Last week our captain started it off in brilliant manner but we still ended up with our first loss of the season. The international break didn't help our eager determination to put things right. However, Saturday is getting closer and with it our chance to prove that the result against West Ham was just a blip, much like the other blips during this golden age of Liverpool under Klopp.

Arsenal on the other hand, started the league season with three straight losses. There were mumbles of Arteta not sitting comfortably in his manager chair. Since then they have racked up six wins, two draws, and not a single loss. They currently sit fifth in the table, only two points below us. Arsenal are definitely no mugs, but disregarding their recent form do they look a bit weak in depth? Smith Rowe has proved to be an excellent young player, and Auba (as Klopp refers to him) has finally scored a few goals, but other than those two, no other player has scored more than one goal. Their attacking department - Pépé who cost them 79 million, Martinelli, and Lacazette who they paid 47 million for - currently have one single goal between them. The results don't lie though, Arteta, by all accounts a very tactically sound manager, have them in fifth with a seemingly mediocre squad.

This game at Anfield last season Arsenal took the lead on 24 minutes by Lacazette after a misplaced pass by Robbo. Only two minutes later Liverpool were back on level terms when Mo's shot was parried by Bernd Leno into the path of Mane, who made no mistake from close range. Robbo then made up for his earlier mistake by putting the Reds ahead on 34 minutes, stealing in unmarked at the back post to fire home Trent's deep cross. The points were made safe two minutes from time when substitute Jota marked his Premier League debut with a driven finish from the edge of the area.

I don't remember Anfield in 89. Maybe I was playing a new video game at a mates house instead (incidentally I think I learned about it reading Fever Pitch). Evidently I don't remember many details of being a kid in Sweden in the 80's, but since I today work in game development, eagerly watch football from England, happily eat beans on toast, I surely cherish the memory of pappa today on Father's day in Sweden.

Liverpool in November 2021 is a Liverpool with Alisson, Trent, and Robbo. A Liverpool with a German from the Black Forest. A Liverpool with the Egyptian king, and with a captain eager with a chance to put things right after a far too long internation break (hopefully him travelling home only being precaution). Up the Reds!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 07:04:30 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Liverpool vs Arsenal
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 04:39:47 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 04:41:17 pm »
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 05:26:07 pm »
The two teams come out.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 05:30:48 pm »
0 Chamberlain gets us underway.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 05:32:09 pm »
1 An early touch for Alisson, as Liverpool attack the Anfield Road end first half.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 05:34:40 pm »
3 Arsenal trying to pin his back into our own area, we go long with a ball from Van Dijk. Arsenal misjudge the ball and Tsimikas gets hold of the ball hits it towards Mane, but the ball goes long.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 05:36:41 pm »
5 Nothing much happening, we are trying to get some good balls into the Arsenal box, we've done a lot of pressing in that area without really creating any chance.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 05:38:19 pm »
6 We try and build from the back, but Trent's ball goes straight to an Arsenal player and they attempt to break but we manage to deal with it and clear.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 05:40:12 pm »
8 We move the ball forward from the back, Arsenal have a number of players back and we just need to use our wider positions better.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 05:41:49 pm »
10 That was much better play from us and it occurred the moment we attempted to put some pace on the ball. But Salah's ultimate ball just goes beyond Fab for a goal kick to Arsenal.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 05:42:49 pm »
Our bench looks like Jürgen has opened a crèche on match day
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 05:43:18 pm »
11 It feels like Mane and Tsimikas are still learning to play together a bit of a misunderstanding. But there are signs that we just need to find that ball.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 05:44:41 pm »
13 That was a wonderfully won ball there by Thiago, which sets us on our way and ends up with a good run from Salah.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 05:45:36 pm »
13 That was a wonderfully won ball there by Thiago, which sets us on our way and ends up with a good run from Salah.
Sweet pass from Jota too
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2021, 05:46:04 pm »
14 Mane is brought down by Lacazette, so we get a free kick in the Arsenal area, but it comes to disappointment.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2021, 05:46:38 pm »
14 Mane is brought down by Lacazette, so we get a free kick in the Arsenal area, but it comes to disappointment.
New french player?
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2021, 05:46:47 pm »
Sweet pass from Jota too

I missed that my stream is so grainy.  :D

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2021, 05:47:38 pm »
16 Arsenal get a bit of pressure which ends up with a brilliant bit of defending from Chamberlain.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2021, 05:49:05 pm »
17 Arsenal get a free kick, but again it comes to nothing. It's true to say this game is yet to come alive. A typical game after an international break so far.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2021, 05:50:15 pm »
18 That was a great bit of tackling by Thiago on Saka just as he was looking to come into our box. Both him and Tsimikas working really well together.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2021, 05:51:10 pm »
19 Arsenal lose position and Salah comes away with the ball, but it just goes behind Jota, it would have been offside anyway.

Online Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2021, 05:52:44 pm »
Just not clicking the way we need it to.

We're letting them feel their way into the game

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2021, 05:53:02 pm »
21 We are coming more and more into this game, starting to find our passes more. Thiago has been really good so far, we just need to be patient and find that last ball.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2021, 05:53:52 pm »
22 Over to Tepid.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2021, 05:56:10 pm »
25 low cross by TAA is deflected away beifre Jota can stick it away.

Corner to the reds follows.  VVD heads it back from the back post, but Arsenal clear   
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2021, 05:56:15 pm »
A typical game after an international break. International football is so different paced to how we play usually, it's like we need to find our pace again once we're back. We just have to put more pace on the ball.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2021, 05:58:09 pm »
26 nice turn and run by Jota and he makes 30 yards… picked the wrong pass at the end though.

Corner after Chamberlin shoots and it deflects behind.

It is cleared
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2021, 06:00:37 pm »

Magnificent TAA cross, mane gets a header on it, the keeper half smoothers it after fumbling it, and then Mane gets a toe on it.  It goes behind for a corner which is cleared
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2021, 06:02:09 pm »
31 ball in the net for Arsenal after a Matip slip.  But Auba is way offside in the buildup.
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2021, 06:02:19 pm »
This rule.  :butt

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2021, 06:03:05 pm »
Arteta having to be restrained there!

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2021, 06:03:12 pm »
Klopp and Arteta going off on one here!  Captain Black having to be restrained

Both booked but handbags really
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2021, 06:04:22 pm »
It's livened the crowd up somewhat, let's hope it does the team as well.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2021, 06:06:13 pm »
35 cleared!

Tsimikas crosses it, Mo has his shot parried after hitting it from the edge of the 6yard area, it goes for a corner which is cleared.

The touch line antics has inflamed the crowd!
W

Online Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2021, 06:06:33 pm »
Bloody hell!

Ramsdale with a point blank save to deny Mo there

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2021, 06:06:53 pm »
Bloody hell!

Ramsdale with a point blank save to deny Mo there
Straight at him sadly
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2021, 06:07:51 pm »
Straight at him sadly

Yes, he made it too easy.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2021, 06:08:14 pm »
36 TAA drives to the edge of the D and shoots with his left, Ramsdale touches it over.

Corner punched clear but not well.

Arsenal break only for Fab to sweep up so well.
W

Online Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2021, 06:09:29 pm »
Fantastic work by Fab clearing the ball off Aubas toe to kill a very dangerous counter