Author Topic: Roberto Firmino  (Read 2002217 times)

Offline Bold Warrior

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roberto Firmino
« Reply #160 on: February 7, 2016, 12:21:15 am »
Great talent but some people need to stop comparing to Suarez. No where near. Will love it if he is but he's not.

Looking forward to some decent players around him

To be fair Suarez wasnt anywhere near his maximum level  when he had only been at the club 6 months as Firminho has.To be fair there probably wasnt a massive gulf between them.Can you remember that summer when everyone was saying we need a genuine 20+ a season striker,that was after his first season here.Im not for one minute suggesting Firmino can reach that level but when you think back on it thats the case.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: February 7, 2016, 12:24:18 am »
Great talent but some people need to stop comparing to Suarez. No where near. Will love it if he is but he's not.

Well, I think there's a fair comparison to Suarez in his first season with us at 24? Not saying he will obviously go in the same trajectory towards being the best in his position in the world but in terms of performance at a similar age I think it's fair.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: February 7, 2016, 12:28:00 am »
Well, I think there's a fair comparison to Suarez in his first season with us at 24? Not saying he will obviously go in the same trajectory towards being the best in his position in the world but in terms of performance at a similar age I think it's fair.

Suarez had scored 111 goals in 159 games for Ajax, scoring 16 in 32 Europe games. I don't think think there is any comparison between the two.

"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: February 7, 2016, 12:31:59 am »
Firmino posted excellent numbers playing a bit deeper in a much better league for not the best team (like Ajax are in their's).

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 7, 2016, 12:56:17 am »
In a way its kind of good Coutinho & Sturridge are out at the moment. Gives us a realistic perspective of where we actually are. Once they are back & with the form Firmino is in it really could be a jizz fest of creative play & goals that would mask where we truly are at.

That being said I can't wait to see those 3 link up. Will be a sight to behold.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: February 7, 2016, 01:03:17 am »
quite glad we didn't sell him in January like some would have liked. I think he'll be a focal point in out attack next year alongside Coutinho
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #166 on: February 7, 2016, 01:10:15 am »
glad he has learnt to keep his shirt on
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #167 on: February 7, 2016, 01:16:21 am »
Quality today. Has been in many games lately. Tremendous work rate and when his mate Coutinho comes back and Sturridge is in the side we should see our goals tally increase.

Head and shoulders above any player on the pitch today.
YWNA

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #168 on: February 7, 2016, 01:30:14 am »
Been a fan of him since he joined. Only one today who had any type of desire or confidence to shoot. With a good striker up top, him behind I think he'll shine.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 7, 2016, 04:27:32 am »
Quality player. Put Coutinho and one of Sturridge/Origi and even Ings around him and we've got a different story to tell. He loves runners in behind defenses, he's played some beautiful balls through this season and Sturridge is going to lap them up if he manages to stay fit. If I were the coaching staff, I'd get him watching Suarez videos, not of scoring goals and assists because that he's got plenty of, but of his tenacity and how to be an absolute nuisance to defend against.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: February 7, 2016, 05:21:55 am »
Some people are just too sensitive about any mention of Suarez. See the way Firmino closes down the defender, runs away from him and picks the perfect pass for the 2nd goal. There is a very clear stylistic similarity between him and Suarez. He is the type of forward we should've been looking at last season, not Balotelli, Lambert and Benteke. In the end, I think its what cost Rodgers his job.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 7, 2016, 05:44:51 am »
Some people are just too sensitive about any mention of Suarez. See the way Firmino closes down the defender, runs away from him and picks the perfect pass for the 2nd goal. There is a very clear stylistic similarity between him and Suarez. He is the type of forward we should've been looking at last season, not Balotelli, Lambert and Benteke. In the end, I think its what cost Rodgers his job.

I think the difference is Suarez did that 90 mins a game, Firmino does it for about 2 mins atm. But when he does, it's definitely Suarez-esque. For me the next frontier is realising that's his game, and giving it his all from the off

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 7, 2016, 07:36:18 am »
In a way its kind of good Coutinho & Sturridge are out at the moment. Gives us a realistic perspective of where we actually are. Once they are back & with the form Firmino is in it really could be a jizz fest of creative play & goals that would mask where we truly are at.

That being said I can't wait to see those 3 link up. Will be a sight to behold.
Having our best players out doesn't give us a realistic perspective of where we are, though. I know what you mean, but come on...

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #173 on: February 7, 2016, 09:08:19 am »

It's his style more than the quality. Suarez is the previous striker that Firmino is most similar to. Not Torres,Owen, Fowler or Crouch.

Offline hitnrock

• Kopite
  • Rafa's Red And White Kop
« Reply #174 on: February 7, 2016, 09:15:24 am »
I refuse to not compare him to Suarez. He's even doing the gunslinger celebration Suarez did. People asking him to look at Suarez videos, maybe he's already doing it. :D
Waiting for Gerrard is like waiting for Goku.
Only a few moments remaining until Goku arrives.
Next week:

Goku is almost there, can he stop the ginyu force?
Next week:

Goku is about to arrive, is he up to the challenge?

;)

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 7, 2016, 09:20:58 am »
He's not in Suarez' league and doesn't have his tenacity or workrate but he's a quality player that will only get better with better lads around him. He's massively inconsistent though and goes missing far too often, needs to realise that and try and put a shift in regardless of whether things are coming off for him.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2016, 09:26:56 am by Bunter »

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #176 on: February 7, 2016, 09:23:24 am »
I think the difference is Suarez did that 90 mins a game, Firmino does it for about 2 mins atm.

;D exactly....the comparisons to Suarez are ridiculous and have more to do with wish fulfillment than reality....the lad is finally starting to show some form....just let him continue to develop without measuring him against the best striker in world football
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline jonnyr

• Anny Roader
  • We had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #177 on: February 7, 2016, 09:26:38 am »
The lad is just getting better and better. And we surely haven't seen the best of him yet. Just wait until he has a proper supporting cast around him in attack... Fuck the comparisons. He's Roberto motherfucking Firmino, he's got grit, he's got talent, and he's fucking boss.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #178 on: February 7, 2016, 09:57:42 am »
;D exactly....the comparisons to Suarez are ridiculous and have more to do with wish fulfillment than reality....the lad is finally starting to show some form....just let him continue to develop without measuring him against the best striker in world football
Some form is harsh though. Firmino's numbers are already among the best in the league and similar to Sturridges in form numbers. Or Torres, for that matter.
Suarez has given the fans weird expectations on our strikers.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2016, 10:00:16 am by jepovic »

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #179 on: February 7, 2016, 10:25:33 am »
He's not in Suarez' league and doesn't have his tenacity or workrate but he's a quality player that will only get better with better lads around him. He's massively inconsistent though and goes missing far too often, needs to realise that and try and put a shift in regardless of whether things are coming off for him.
Same with all of our better players, they all need to more, all 3 of them.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #180 on: February 7, 2016, 10:32:58 am »
I refuse to not compare him to Suarez. He's even doing the gunslinger celebration Suarez did. People asking him to look at Suarez videos, maybe he's already doing it. :D
Everything is eerily similar.

At 24 playing his first full season he`s just as good as Suarez was at 24 playing his first full season for us. Whether he`ll kick on as Suarez did remains to be seen, probably not as he doesn`t have Luis` tenacity and aggression but definitely has the talent to get mightily close to that.

As far as I`m concerned he`s already as good as anything in his position in this league, proving it with numbers in upcoming seasons will be a formality imo rather than question of if. I don`t think we realize yet what we have on our hands here, heck in 11/12 we didn`t realize what we had on our hands.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: February 7, 2016, 11:07:38 am »
The power he generates off either foot is incredible too. He looks like he could score if he gets it on target no matter the distance.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 7, 2016, 11:11:04 am »
High hopes for this lad. He's usually quite closely marked and comes deep which is only natural given he isn't an out and out forward. Once we get a proper mobile striker back you'd like to think more space will open up for this lad and he can be a bigger influence.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 7, 2016, 11:18:41 am »
Good to see some positive posts on this board for a change, and this guy deserves it for sure. Glad to see him doing well at the moment.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 7, 2016, 11:19:07 am »

At 24 playing his first full season he`s just as good as Suarez was at 24 playing his first full season for us. Whether he`ll kick on as Suarez did remains to be seen, probably not as he doesn`t have Luis` tenacity and aggression but definitely has the talent to get mightily close to that.

As far as I`m concerned he`s already as good as anything in his position in this league, proving it with numbers in upcoming seasons will be a formality imo rather than question of if. I don`t think we realize yet what we have on our hands here, heck in 11/12 we didn`t realize what we had on our hands.

I cannot agree with that. Its a bit premature to say he is as good as anything in his position. There is no way he is ahead of De Bruyne, Silva, Ozil, Sanchez, Hazard etc.

Its a stretch to say he is better than Mahrez and Payet this season either.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 7, 2016, 11:19:13 am »

De Bruyne  and Ozil have been better, same with Mahrez and Payet  those are 4 of the best players in his position this season, not including Silva. He is good, but after 7 good games isn't the time to start hyping him up, we already know out of all the summer signings he was one of the ones who fit in the most, lets just see how it plays out, the Suarez talk is optimistic to say the least, as i can never imagine him having a season where he scores 31 goals in the league and has 13 assists, he can do the creating part, but lest not forget that before Suarez came here he had previous for scoring a goal a game or there abouts for whole seasons in Holland, he came here as a formidable scorer took some time to get to grips with it and then exploded back to his previous level again, Firmino won't score that much.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 7, 2016, 11:20:56 am »
I cannot agree with that. Its a bit premature to say he is as good as anything in his position. There is no way he is ahead of De Bruyne, Silva, Ozil, Sanchez, Hazard etc.

Even more than a stretch, it would be ludicrous to say he has been better than Mahrez or Payet.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: February 7, 2016, 11:23:36 am »

You mean player of the season Mahrez?
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: February 7, 2016, 11:25:45 am »
You mean player of the season Mahrez?

Yeah but with players like that people come out with comments about him having a purple patch.

Firmino has done well recently and i have been impressed after being one of his critics. But he needs to do this for far longer before he is even being in the conversation as the best in his position.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #189 on: February 7, 2016, 11:26:31 am »
Did you know in 11/12 Suarez was gonna explode the way he did? Exactly, and that`s my point with Firmino, he has every chance. Like I said he`ll never match Suarez as he doesn`t have that tenacity but has every chance to reach Suarez 12/13 level for example which if he does we`ll be laughing and then some. Being a poor man`s Suarez will do us just fine and for him to perform as he did in recent months in circumstances he did it in bodes very well for us.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2016, 11:28:02 am by SerbianScouser »

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #190 on: February 7, 2016, 11:40:49 am »
De Bruyne  and Ozil have been better, same with Mahrez and Payet  those are 4 of the best players in his position this season, not including Silva. He is good, but after 7 good games isn't the time to start hyping him up, we already know out of all the summer signings he was one of the ones who fit in the most, lets just see how it plays out, the Suarez talk is optimistic to say the least, as i can never imagine him having a season where he scores 31 goals in the league and has 13 assists, he can do the creating part, but lest not forget that before Suarez came here he had previous for scoring a goal a game or there abouts for whole seasons in Holland, he came here as a formidable scorer took some time to get to grips with it and then exploded back to his previous level again, Firmino won't score that much.
I can't imagine any of those scoring 31 + 13, tbf. That was just supernatural.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 7, 2016, 11:51:18 am »
Yeah but with players like that people come out with comments about him having a purple patch.

Firmino has done well recently and i have been impressed after being one of his critics. But he needs to do this for far longer before he is even being in the conversation as the best in his position.

Sure. He is doing very well recently and you were told many times he was a player that has proven his quality over in Germany. He has had a fractured start to his career at Liverpool (excuse the pun), but increasingly, he looks like he is going to be one of our main players going forward. He must nearly be our top scorer if not the top scorer already. All of that doesn't mean he has performed to the same level as Silva, Ozil, Mahrez etc., but that's not to say he won't step it up to their level. De Bruyne is a different comparison given he's come into a team that has all that attacking talent unlike Firmino, who has come into a struggling team.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 7, 2016, 12:02:58 pm »
He's putting out top striker levels of goals and assists, it's hard to describe how impressive he is right now, especially in this slow, uncreative, low confidence team. And still his 1st season in a new country.

The lad is gonna be a star, he's got all the tools he needs. That's why many were excited when we signed him  ;D
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: February 7, 2016, 05:06:42 pm »

He's done more than Silva and Hazard this season, both been extremely poor compared to their usual standards, Hazard especially.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #194 on: February 7, 2016, 05:12:06 pm »
Going to be interesting to see where he plays once we have a first choice striker in the team.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 7, 2016, 05:15:46 pm »
Going to be interesting to see where he plays once we have a first choice striker in the team.

Did you think him and Coutinho might wanna occupy the same space though? When Coutinho was fit he was in that inside left position and kept cutting in and it became quite congested. Would like to see Phil a little deeper so that doesn't become an issue alongside Firmino

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #196 on: February 7, 2016, 05:18:10 pm »

Keep him where he is and play a number 9 alongside/slightly ahead of him, I think that's perfectly feasible as he's still spending a lot of time in the number 10 position at the moment. Could have a similar impact to the Suarez/Sturridge partnership.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 7, 2016, 05:21:34 pm »
Keep him where he is and play a number 9 alongside/slightly ahead of him, I think that's perfectly feasible as he's still spending a lot of time in the number 10 position at the moment. Could have a similar impact to the Suarez/Sturridge partnership.

Good shout, did Klopp use a diamond at Dortmund. We know he loves his full backs to get forward so we'd still have the width too.That incorporates our dangerous players well.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: February 7, 2016, 05:22:21 pm »
Good shout, did Klopp use a diamond at Dortmund. We know he loves his full backs to get forward so we'd still have the width too.That incorporates our dangerous players well.

Everytime i saw Dortmund he played a 4-2-3-1

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 7, 2016, 05:24:28 pm »
Everytime i saw Dortmund he played a 4-2-3-1

Yeah. I just think with this set of players we don't have a Reus and Błaszczykowski to make it work like he did at Dortmund.