Author Topic: Catalan Independence  (Read 45151 times)

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Catalan Independence
« Reply #80 on: October 1, 2017, 01:49:51 pm »
Maybe Tepid could have phased it this way and sounded like less of a twat.

Has he had a post deleted or something? Looking back I can't see anything he's said that warrants being called a twat.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #81 on: October 1, 2017, 01:58:15 pm »
Has he had a post deleted or something? Looking back I can't see anything he's said that warrants being called a twat.
Err, no.. I haven’t deleted anything..
Frankly I’m a bit confused..  I was just trying to point out that Wales etc were principalities so would be different (although you have told me that Monaco is a sovereign nation which I didn’t fully appreciate).

I’m merely trying to suggest why a team might get not be able to play in another country’s league.. not whether I think it’s the right action or not...

Bloody confused here to be honest...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #82 on: October 1, 2017, 02:00:49 pm »
The facist spirit of Franco is alive and kicking.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #83 on: October 1, 2017, 02:01:23 pm »
I hope Barcelona embarrasses Las Palmas 10-0

Game is off.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #84 on: October 1, 2017, 02:02:13 pm »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #85 on: October 1, 2017, 02:06:25 pm »
So, I'm confused. I understand that the referendum is illegal. But who's actually breaking the law? The Catalan government? The people manning the polling booths? The voters?
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: October 1, 2017, 02:07:35 pm »
Frankly I’m a bit confused..  I was just trying to point out that Wales etc were principalities so would be different (although you have told me that Monaco is a sovereign nation which I didn’t fully appreciate).

I’m merely trying to suggest why a team might get not be able to play in another country’s league.. not whether I think it’s the right action or not...

There are non inflammatory ways of making a point. See Elmo as an example who made the same point in a much better and inflammatory way,

You sounded like Kerry Kop on a wind up in a Rugby thread. 
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #87 on: October 1, 2017, 02:07:52 pm »
So, I'm confused. I understand that the referendum is illegal. But who's actually breaking the law? The Catalan government? The people manning the polling booths? The voters?

All of them acording to the Spainish Central Government.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: October 1, 2017, 02:08:38 pm »

You need to watch more episodes of Pointless  :D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 1, 2017, 02:09:02 pm »
There are non inflammatory ways of making a point. See Elmo as an example who made the same point in a much better and inflammatory way,

Genuinely fucking absurd. 

Each to their own though.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 1, 2017, 02:10:06 pm »
If they’d done nothing, there would have been very little protest.

They’ve handled this very badly indeed...
W

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #91 on: October 1, 2017, 02:10:57 pm »
Seen the video of the lad wrapped inthe Spainish flag who got an ovation from the Catalans? Class.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 1, 2017, 02:15:15 pm »
Seen the video of the lad wrapped inthe Spainish flag who got an ovation from the Catalans? Class.
Put it up, I'd like to see that.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #93 on: October 1, 2017, 02:17:54 pm »
Put it up, I'd like to see that.

If i knew how Paul ;D Its on Twitter so how do I get a link for it?

https://twitter.com/thespainreport/status/914476743452495872
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #94 on: October 1, 2017, 02:18:02 pm »
Terrible scenes here    :(

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/914466967054159873

To quote Orwell in 'Homage to Catalonia' "if you see a policeman kicking a man on the ground you shouldn't need to ask whose side you're on".
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 1, 2017, 02:22:13 pm »
Genuinely fucking absurd. 

Each to their own though.

Nah, its not.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 1, 2017, 02:26:33 pm »

6m ago 14:18

Radio Catalonia journalist Mar Riera Sola has posted footage of police charging at a crowd while entering the village of Sant Iscle de Vallalta, 50 km north-east of Barcelona.

https://twitter.com/marrierasola/status/914441327613497345?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fworld%2Flive%2F2017%2Foct%2F01%2Fcatalan-independence-referendum-spain-catalonia-vote-live

Riot thugs turning up in a Village ffs.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 1, 2017, 02:32:36 pm »
What do we think of the independence movement?

At the surface it seems motivated by self interest as the region is a net contributor to Spain...

Obviously more to it than that, but this seems a common theme across Europe at the moment, leaving the EU for similar reasons...
W

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 1, 2017, 02:40:46 pm »

At the surface it seems motivated by self interest as the region is a net contributor to Spain...

Obviously more to it than that, but this seems a common theme across Europe at the moment, leaving the EU for similar reasons...

Seems a worrying trend across the West at the moment. People becoming more insular, more 'looking after ones self', more isolationist. Is it fallout from increasing inequality - as more wealth gets accumulated by fewer people, the majority become relatively poorer leading to a sense of unfairness and blaming anyone who's not them for their malaise? I guess however much we build layers of civility onto ourselves, we can't escape from the fact that deep down we're a tribal species.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2017, 02:42:56 pm by Xabi Gerrard »

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #99 on: October 1, 2017, 02:43:09 pm »

Of course its self interest, its about the self determination of a state looking to become a sovereign state. Plus yes Catalonia would be a major part of the entire Spanish economy and why the Central Government is worried due to the peoples referendum.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 1, 2017, 02:45:08 pm »
Anyway, the Barca game is on, but their supporters club says they will invade the pitch to stop it...
W

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 1, 2017, 02:48:34 pm »

I believe Catalonia has significantly less devolved powers than other regions like the Basque country as well which is another source of support for independence.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 1, 2017, 02:48:51 pm »

I would support it. If they want indpendence and want to govern themselves, then why not?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 1, 2017, 02:50:18 pm »

Derry City is a perfect example then. Derry is a City in Northern Ireland which has its own league AND is part of the UK.  Derry City, the local team, play in the Republic of Ireland's football league.

FC Andorra is from Andorra, a sovereign nation, yet play in the Spanish league system and have done so since 1948.  That shows the Spanish league can and do take in teams from other sovereign nations. This would make any claim denying Barcelona entry to La Liga open to hypocrisy.

La Liga is all bluster at the moment. There's next to no chance they would expel Barcelona from the Spanish league.  Money > nationalism.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #104 on: October 1, 2017, 02:51:59 pm »
Isn't there an article somewhere within the German EU handbook that says that if a member state uses turns the police on its citizens, that they'll be thrown out of Germany the EU?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 1, 2017, 02:52:21 pm »
I would support it. If they want indpendence and want to govern themselves, then why not?
Me? I don’t think nationalist movements are a good thing.  Where people speak the same language and their isnt discrimination or violence towards one group of people, then I’ve always thought it absurdly tribal. We’re beyter than them because... etc...etc

Generally we’re better and stronger together as groups who look out for each other.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 1, 2017, 02:53:53 pm »
Barca game to be played behind closed doors..
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 1, 2017, 02:54:29 pm »
Anyway, the Barca game is on, but their supporters club says they will invade the pitch to stop it...

What time do they KO ?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 1, 2017, 02:57:35 pm »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 1, 2017, 02:58:24 pm »
The Spanish interior ministry continue.

Exposing children to this type of situation and using them during the day is another sign of intolerable unreason

Cheeky fucker,had his gov not sent in the storm troopers the kids wouldn't be in that situation.

Knobheads.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 1, 2017, 03:00:00 pm »
Me? I don’t think nationalist movements are a good thing.  Where people speak the same language and their isnt discrimination or violence towards one group of people, then I’ve always thought it absurdly tribal. We’re beyter than them because... etc...etc

Generally we’re better and stronger together as groups who look out for each other.

You can look after others with independent states also. There doesnt have to be a union to have harmony and sometimes that causes more resentment.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #111 on: October 1, 2017, 03:00:49 pm »

He really didn't.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 1, 2017, 03:01:13 pm »

Las Palmas are twats

Barcelona - Las Palmas to be played behind closed doors

FC Barcelona has announced their La Liga clash with Las Palmas will be played behind closed doors.

In a statement, the Catalan club said: “FC Barcelona condemn the events which have taken place in many parts of Catalonia today in order to prevent its citizens exercising their democractic rights to free expression.

“Given the exceptional nature of events, the Board of Directors have decided that the FC Barcelona first team game against Las Palmas will be played behind closed doors following the Professional Football League’s refusal to postpone the game.”

The Catalan Football Federation had already suspended all matches due to referendum, but FC Barcelona are not under their jurisdiction.

Earlier today, Las Palmas announced a Spanish flag had been sewn onto their kit for the game to show support for “the unity of Spain”.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #113 on: October 1, 2017, 03:01:34 pm »
Just a point.

Its not about Football.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #114 on: October 1, 2017, 03:05:40 pm »
We will Vote. The voice of the people.

https://twitter.com/whkfrs/status/914455028198502400
Y.N.W.A.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 1, 2017, 03:06:11 pm »
You can look after others with independent states also. There doesnt have to be a union to have harmony and sometimes that causes more resentment.
You can, but let’s be honest it seldom does
W

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 1, 2017, 03:07:29 pm »
You can, but let’s be honest it seldom does

The idea of looking after together isnt always as strong either, plus it can build resentment, as you can see towards/from London or most relevant, Scotland.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 1, 2017, 03:07:39 pm »

IMO this is such an outdated and simplistic way of looking at things. What makes the current make up of nations perfect? Do we just have to accept that the way it is now is the way it should always be? For me I'd prefer to see the EU being made up of a lot of smaller, more nimble countries able to manage their own affairs to suit them while working together in the EU for matters best managed at that level. Rather than having the EU dominated by 4 or 5 huge countries that are too big to be able to adjust quickly to the changing world around them. The evidence suggests to me that the smaller western european countries produce the best outcomes in terms of happiness, wealth distribution and education.

Dismissing all 'nationalist' movements as a case of 'we're better than them' is frankly ignorant.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 1, 2017, 03:08:34 pm »
Just a point.

Its not about Football.

All the fans are still outside the perimeter.

Loud speaker here. But no-one using it. Amazingly, fans still not being told game is to be played behind closed doors.

https://twitter.com/tsf_podcast/status/914489599950491648

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 1, 2017, 03:11:32 pm »
Another video of police brutality has emerged. This time, Spanish police have been recorded attacking Catalan firefighters.
https://twitter.com/CatalansForYes/status/914473277443031041