Author Topic: David Bowie Has Died - RIP Starman  (Read 30985 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: David Bowie Has Died - RIP Starman
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2016, 11:00:34 am »
Is there a greater Top of the Pops moment than this?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4B5zmDz4vR4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4B5zmDz4vR4</a>

Mick rocking the gold catsuit & boots look and David draping his long fingers around his shoulders and telling a generation of kids that it's not just OK to be different, but that it's the coolest thing you could possibly do.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2016, 11:09:53 am »
When an artist who casually soundtracked your life passes away it really hits you how great he was

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2016, 11:19:18 am »
Never been truly affected by a celebs passing but this ones got me. RIP Mr Jones

Online Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2016, 11:19:58 am »
This is the best written tribute I have seen so far:  http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/11/my-david-bowie-alive-forever

Or find your own Bowie. You will have it somewhere. That first play of Ziggy. That time you put food colouring in your hair. The night when lust became utterly confused with a different kind of longing. A longing to be in one of the worlds he told us about.

It is still with me. Taking Station to Station around to a mate’s flat. He had to hear it. We treated these albums as religious artefacts. We worked hard studying the sleeve notes. We wanted to know some of what Bowie knew. He was our university. He was the one who could open up the world.

That door. He unlocked it. For me, for you. For us. He gave us everything. He gave us ideas, ideas above our station. All THE ideas and a specific one. Of life. The stellar idea that we can create ourselves whoever we are. He let us be more than we ever knew possible. There is nothing greater. Nothing.

Here am I floating 'round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do.

Farewell, Major Tom, from this child of the space age who you inspired and helped find his voice and being. RIP.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2016, 11:23:58 am »
Heard of him the first time in a Nirvana cover song (Man who sold the world) and became a fan.

RIP.
Phuk yoo

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2016, 11:31:46 am »
Heard of him first time via the cover of Life on Mars.

RIP to an icon.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2016, 11:38:36 am »
Isolated vocal tracks for Space Oddity and Ziggy Stardust.   Spine-tingling stuff.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vNxvkqstr6A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vNxvkqstr6A</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UPu9sejtrVw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UPu9sejtrVw</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2016, 11:39:30 am »
RIP. Had no idea he had cancer. Truly iconic individual and those words are easily banded around these days with very few people deserving of them. He deserves them and more  :(
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2016, 11:41:20 am »
RIP. Low is my all-time favourite album. Gutted. His output from Space Oddity to Ashes to Ashes is astonishing. Low, Station to Station, Heroes, Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Ziggy Stardust etc. So many classics

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2016, 11:43:19 am »
R.I.P Will be sorely missed.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2016, 11:43:59 am »
Truly shocked at this, his influence on 20th and 21st Century music is vast. Everything he did was just so, well... interesting. Fresh, new, innovative, it's kind of hard to put a finger on it exactly. He just had it, that special bit of magic that makes truly great artists stand out above the crowd. But he didn't just stand above the crowd, he orbited the crowd. As far as I'm concerned he's up there with Elvis in terms of true innovation, taking something and almost literally creating an entire genre of music. An astonishing and original talent, the likes of which we'll probably never see again.

I read a tribute earlier that said it always seemed like he didn't come from this Earth, and now he's left it. I think that just about sums him up. Thank you David.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2016, 12:13:20 pm »
Fucking hell a true icon of music :(

RIP

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2016, 12:20:33 pm »
Gutted. We've lost a giant.

He was't simply one of a kind, more like a dozen. That he was able to keep his illness secret, at a time of no secrets, so that this news was so shocking was just, so, Bowie...

Thanks seem insufficient.

Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2016, 12:26:03 pm »

He was't simply one of a kind, more like a dozen. That he was able to keep his illness secret, at a time of no secrets, so that this news was so shocking was just, so, Bowie...

Can't put it any better. Truly stunned by this. The world has lost an icon, a legend, a truly unique and one once in a lifetime talent.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2016, 12:26:51 pm »
When an artist who casually soundtracked your life passes away it really hits you how great he was

That in a nutshell sums up this genius of a man we were so very lucky to grow up with...RIP David,my god you had some style & class x

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2016, 12:26:57 pm »
Used to scare me and fascinate me in equal measures when I was about 5 years old and saw him on the telly.

The man is gone but the Hazy Cosmic Jive lives on!

RIP

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2016, 12:31:53 pm »
My earliest memory of him was being eleven in the early 70's, at an ice rink with my older brothers, & so many people wearing Harrington Jackets (our surname is Harrington), with orange hair and no eyebrows in Bowie style, and his music over the PA.
It was like a glimpse over a wall, a musical equivalent of Narnia, a moment when I first thought to myself "Oh Aye, I'm having some of this". The this was a bit of rock attitude, stuff your parents disliked, the fall from the nest when you find you have wings. It meant when punk came along shortly after puberty, we could go to raucus gigs and get the shit kicked out of us for the fun of it in the mosh pit and not mind, leave with ears ringing to get the night bus.
Then my mate Craig's big brother, trialling for Torquay United by day, robbed a restaurant one early 80's Saturday night. Thirty something grand in his suitcase, his head shaved & in expensive suit and shoes, he turns up at our front door, telling us we were going out for the night, "tell your ma you may be away a few days". We spent hours dancing to Bowie and electronica at DJ Dick's Dial B For Beauty night at the Rum Runner. Craigs brother was arrested the next morning, but it was the look of glee in all our faces as we danced together one last time to Lets Dance (of course) that sticks as one high point of that decade.
All my brothers have loads of Bowie memories, my younger brother spent a fortune on the vinyl bootlegs, and my best mate eagerly bought all his albums the day they were released, so he is everywhere in my life, so thanks David for all the great concerts, all the great music, a heartfelt thanks for all the joy you bought.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:53:19 pm by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2016, 12:35:56 pm »
Truly shocked and saddened by this.  Thank you for everything.  RIP. 

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2016, 12:59:59 pm »
Stunned.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2016, 01:06:36 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aDRi30GNFMc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aDRi30GNFMc</a>

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2016, 01:07:02 pm »
Great tribute show from Mark Radcliffe on 6 Music now....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2016, 01:08:41 pm »
Stunned.
Same here. And devastated.

Needed to come back on here to pay tribute. From The Snowman and Labyrinth as a young kid, through to his incredible, masterful music and uniquely iconic chameleon charisma enriching my life from adolescence onward.

Had absolutely no idea he was battling that fucking cunt of a disease, and I'm feeling this loss deep in my heart right now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:36:06 pm by Haemoglobin »
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2016, 01:16:32 pm »
Can't stop crying today. What a great loss. His passing has made me walk through my life from a teenager to the present day, from sad to happy times. Thank you, David Bowie, you are forever with us!
That video from Blackstar is unbelievably moving. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kszLwBaC4Sw
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2016, 01:20:49 pm »
Shocking, was watching the news around 7:00 this morning when the news broke, couldn't believe it, when you get that feeling that a legend is gone forever :'(

An inspiration to all generations, RIP

Offline bordeauxred

• posh scouser
  • Kopite
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2016, 01:23:06 pm »
Absolutely shocked at this news today.

Loved listening to this almighty cool guy with his weird and wonderful clothes during my teenage years in the 70's.

Went to to the Bowie Expo in Paris last year and wandered around in amazement as I recalled his music, fashion & art. RIP.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2016, 01:23:18 pm »
i honestly dont remember meeting anyone who would say his music was shite

impossible to hate.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2016, 01:26:18 pm »
Radcliffe got it spot on...this came right out of the blue, nobody saw it coming, no hints, no news, no interviews - which in this microscopically media saturated age is quite something - he remained an enigma right to the end...which feels quite fitting
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2016, 01:26:21 pm »
Cool as fuck and always will be  8)

What a legacy

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2016, 01:29:06 pm »
Beyond an icon.

RIP.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2016, 01:34:29 pm »
Radcliffe got it spot on...this came right out of the blue, nobody saw it coming, no hints, no news, no interviews - which in this microscopically media saturated age is quite something - he remained an enigma right to the end...which feels quite fitting
Yes, dignity and mystique right till the end.

It's such a fitting way for him to go, what with a fascinating arty new album just out and all.

Oh God, 'Where are we now' has just come on...  :'(
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2016, 01:35:06 pm »
Very sad day.  RIP David.  Words cannot express your impact, your originality, your creativity, and the pleasure you gave so many.  One of the handfuls of true icons in the history of popular music and global culture.  You will be greatly missed.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2016, 01:39:05 pm »
RIP

I'm not sure where I heard it, but it was reported last week (Maybe in the Guardian?) that he was very ill and that's why he'd cancelled all his recent gigs..

I'd mentioned it to my wife a couple of days ago and now.. BAM!

:(
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2016, 01:41:54 pm »
David Bowie dead: The time the music legend turned down a CBE
The singer declined the Queen's offer of a CBE, saying "I seriously don't know what it's for"

Siobhan Fenton 2 hours  ago

David Bowie, who has died at the age of 69, displayed his characteristic rebellious streak when he twice refused honours from the Queen during his career.

In 2000, the pop star turned down the offer of a CBE, or Commander of the Order of the British Empire title, which the Queen awards to those who have made “a distinguished, innovative contribution to any area” of British life.
Whilst many would have been flattered by the honour, Bowie snubbed the award, explaining at the time: “I seriously don’t know what it’s for.”

In 2003, the musician was also offered a knighthood in recognition of “having a major contribution” to British life which was “inspirational and significant… over a long period of time.” He again refused the honour.

The musician was known for challenging social conventions throughout his career, through his colourful lyrics and bold aesthetics, including his alter-ego Ziggy Stardust. He first shot to attention with the release of Space Oddity in 1969. His maverick and flamboyant style soon came to be defining characteristics of the glam rock period.

He is regarded as one of the most influential men in rock and won two Grammy awards as well as having nine albums go platinum in the UK.

It was confirmed this morning that he had died aged 69 following an 18-month-long battle with cancer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/david-bowie-the-times-david-bowie-turned-down-new-years-honours-a6805501.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:52:17 pm by Alan_X »
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2016, 01:50:27 pm »

I really don't know how one little island of Britain has produced so many musical geniuses over the last 50 years. Its baffling. Bowie was the highest of musical geniuses we produced. He pretty much has been a fixture all our lives, his songs are part of the landscape of our lives. Bowie is dead but the music lives forever
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2016, 01:52:23 pm »

Hunky Dory was the first album I loved .

Kept himself out of the limelight and always seemed like a class act .

RIP
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline XabiAlonsosBeard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2016, 02:02:37 pm »
Do you remember a guy that's been
In such an early song?
I've heard a rumor from Ground Control
Oh no, don't say it's true......

Legend. A word that has somewhat lost its true meaning in common, contemporary parlance. Not in the case of Mr. Bowie. A true, genuine musical legend.

Justice for the 96.

Loves a missed penalty!

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2016, 02:02:55 pm »
RIP

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2016, 02:04:47 pm »
Never allowed himself to be labelled as anything. Encouraged kids to be comfortable in their own skin whatever their difference, was pretty good at music too. RIP legend.
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2016, 02:15:17 pm »
Goblin King can't die :(

Lucky to see him live in 1997 at the royal court, we were right at the front and the whole thing was amazing, there was a small bit built over the pit so he was in touching distance for a lot of it. No support acts, just him and his band.

Gutted.