The Liverpool FC Forum > Opinion

Scribes Q&A: Part I of several. Join in!

<< < (3/6) > >>

Matt8Pie:
1. Cast your mind back to January 31st. Liverpool have announced that Fernando Torres wants to leave and is about to join Chelsea. News then breaks that Liverpool have had a bid accepted for Newcastle striker Andy Carroll. What were your initial thoughts about us replacing Torres with Carroll?

It was bittersweet; I was devastated that Torres was gone, but happy Carroll was here. I thought Carroll was a good striker given his performances in the first half of the season but I couldn't help but feel deflated that Torres was gone. He was getting back to his best it seemed and I was really looking forward to seeing what I deemed the best strike force in the Premiership with Suarez and Torres on board. However, I read a few posts on here from some of the few that talked sense who gave me a better insight into what Kenny sees with the big man up front with the little man playing off him and how Kenny favoured a team with this sort of partnership throwing back to his teams of the past. That made me feel more positive about the signing given that I trust Kenny and I was a bit more excited as to what we could expect going forward with the new lineup. I couldn't shake the feeling though that we'd downgraded, and I still can't.

2. Do you think the £35M price tag is a burden for Liverpool & Carroll?

I think it's been more of a burden for Carroll earlier on this season with away fans shouting the genius and original "what a waste of money" chant at him than it has been for Liverpool. It was evident in his celebration against Exeter that it was affecting him. I think away fans will be the main problem for this while he's not in goal scoring form but hopefully his goal last weekend will push him on further and everyone can be a bit easier on him.

If you actually look at the circumstances where it was agreed we'd pay £15 million less than what we sold Torres for, or whatever the agreement was, then it makes more sense of the situation and with that in mind, I don't see it as a burden at all. In hindsight, given he didn't have much of an affect on last season, I still think we rushed into the signing and we overpaid, but nobody knew how well Suarez would do and by selling such a big name player in Torres, we had to bring someone in otherwise our owners and manager would've possibly faced a backlash from certain parts of our, ahem, fanbase. As I said, I think the burdern is mainly felt by Carroll given the media hype and away supporters. Kenny has shown that he'll play other players if someone isn't in form.

3. How would you describe Andy's performances thus far?

I think his pre-season was really good but since we've been back in the premiership, he had a bit of a sluggish and lazy start. Over the past few weeks though, since the Wolves game, he's upped his game and is putting more effort in which we can see and I'm feeling better about him being on the pitch. You can see him being more vocal on the pitch as well which I think is giving him confidence and his overall play is benefitting from it. He's still gelling into the new look team and we'll see the best of him when the service improves. He's progressing still, and I think as supporters, we need to get behind him rather than lambast him for not giving us immediate results. Gerrard coming into the team will have a dramatic improvement on Carroll's game, in my opinion.

4. What would you describe as Andy Carroll's strengths and weaknesses?

His biggest strength is his size but so far, I don't think he's thrown his weight around as much as you would expect from such a big guy. He's got a belter of a left foot too which, if we see him dropping back more like he has been in recent games, with other players like Gerrard, Bellamy, and Downing running around in midfield giving him a bit more space, we'll see him smashing a few more from distance. He's obviously got his heading ability too but again, he's been very restricted with his lack of service and I think it's really holding him back. His weaknesses for me so far have been his reluctance to throw his weight around as I've said, and that he's looking for a foul too much instead of just manning up and getting on with things. One thing that really frustrates me is how often he's beaten to the ball in the air. He really should be winning those high balls in the middle of the pitch and it amazes me that someone as small as Lucas is visibly able to win more of those headers than Carroll is.

5. Some people say Andy Carroll needs to adapt to Liverpool, others say Liverpool need to adapt to Andy Carroll. Most think it's a bit of both, what are your thoughts?

It's a tough one but I think Carroll will need to adapt to Liverpool. The club doesn't have to adapt to Andy Carroll, he was brought in with a system in mind and he's a cog in part of that system. It's easy to think that because of his size, the ball has to be punted up to him and certain players are to blame for that perhaps. Kenny's trying to get the team back to pass and move and we've shown we can do that, and I think Carroll needs to show he can play in it too. From what I've heard and from some examples, he's shown he has a good touch and can distribute the ball well. The main thing he needs to adapt to is the pressure of playing at a big club and having the spotlight on him. He didn't have that pressure at Newcastle so he was able to play more with a smile on his face. You can see the strain at times he's been under with us and he needs to just shrug his shoulders, pull his socks up and give it his best. Once he's got that figured out, he'll improve a lot, I think. The fans will always be the same with any player and will want signs of world class stardom within a new player's first couple of games a la Suarez, and that's something that we need to improve because it's only detrimental to the players we're bringing in. Not every player that comes in will have that Lucas attitude of proving doubters wrong and won't always want to give 100% if the fans aren't willing to be patient.

6. Finally, how do you see Andy doing for the rest of this season, and looking further forward, his Liverpool career?

I think he'll have a good season. He's only 22 and that's often overlooked so he still has a lot to learn. Ngog is around the same age and people were still saying that about him last season, so people need to give him time. With Gerrard coming back into the team, we'll see our overall team performances improve and Carroll's Liverpool career will kick start. I think he'll have a similar career path to Fernando Llorente; slower in the younger years but as he gets to that age where players enter their peak, and in particular strikers, he'll be one of the best target men around. He was bought for 5 years, as Kenny said. I think he'll be a big player for us.

Red_Mist:
1. Cast your mind back to January 31st. Liverpool have announced that Fernando Torres wants to leave and is about to join Chelsea. News then breaks that Liverpool have had a bid accepted for Newcastle striker Andy Carroll. What were your initial thoughts about us replacing Torres with Carroll?

Torres leaving made me feel disappointed and frustrated. Okay, his form had dipped and his attitude towards the end often stank, but he'd been a genuine hero and his goals, epitomised by that one vs Man Utd when he fought off Daffy and smashed it in at the Kop end, brought us huge amounts of joy. Then, just as the corner was being turned off the pitch, he did one. Was gutted if I'm honest.

Replacing him with Andy Carrol gave me mixed feelings. He seemed as surprised as us and somehow, at first, not fully in control of his own destiny. That made me uneasy. BUT, I had a good mate who watched Newcastle play a lot more than me who texted "great signing"...and I respect his judgement, so I relaxed a bit.

I know this goes against the grain, but I honestly don't think so. Well, at least not as much as is made out. There shouldn't be any Liverpool fans who use it against him, but I know there's a few. But with Kenny's attitude in his press conferences rubbing off on all of us, I think the vast majority shrug it off. If the only people to make it a burden are other fans & the press, well f**k em, as Kenny might say.

He obviously hasn't clicked for us yet, but I think he's improving. There's much more to come from the big man and I think he's working hard for it. It'll come.

Strengths - Strength! The ability to attack a cross, shift defenders off out the way, and nod it in with at least three of said defenders hanging off his shoulders. I'd love to see a lot more of this. He's also got a decent left peg.

Weaknesses - Lack of pace makes him appear a bit lumbering at times. But that won't necessarily stop him getting into the right place at the right time, which he did plenty of times for Newcastle.

5. Some people say Andy Carroll needs to adapt to Liverpool, others say Liverpool need to adapt to Andy Carroll. Most think it's a bit of both, what are your thoughts?

Either statement on its own makes little sense. All players need to adapt to each other and gel as a team with the strengths of each individual maximised and any weaknesses compensated for. Singling Andy Carroll out for this question, or anyone else for that matter, is a bit daft imo.

6. Finally, how do you see Andy doing for the rest of this season, and looking further forward, his Liverpool career?

I hope/believe we'll see much from him this season. His fitness will improve as will his understanding with his team mates. Without a crystal ball, I can't really comment on his longer term career with us. Just hope he'll turn into a type of cult hero...he's got many of the essential attributes to become exactly that. Hope he keeps on giving us the chance to roll out the jokes about 'sinking bitters'.

leivapool:

I not ashamed to admit I was gutted when Torres left.  For me he was a proper quality player, a genuine goalscorer, a player who had class, a household name that was admired by many, and the thought of Fernando and Suarez running opposition defences ragged was a very exciting one.  Alas it wasn't to be, and although i don't feel the truth is out about how the Torres deal went down, we bought Carroll and he is the future.  If I'm honest, apart from the goal he scored against us, I didn't really know that much about him, well apart from the negative press surrounding his alledged girlfriend situation.  I can just remember thinking "...£35m?  Really?  For Carroll?  Wow!"

I wish it wasn't, but the media are always going to mention it aren't they?  And as someone has already said, I wonder if the lad will ever play a game where the opposition fans aren't singing what a waste of money - unless he starts to score masses of goals that it.  It doesn't help that Suarez has outshone him completely since he has arrrived.  As for the club, It will be seen as a masterstroke if he starts firing in the goals and we get champions league won't it?  If not, then Yes it will be a burden.  We've already had an article this week, a poor one, but one nonetheless, saying each one of our points has cost the most amount of money.

It would be harsh to judge on last season when I don't feel he was ever fit.  This season has been a bit mixed.  He's certainly shown glimpses of quality in the last few matches, and shown he isn't just a tall target man.  But it can't be ignored that his presence has affected how the rest of the team play.  The hoofs were noticeably reduced the last couple of matches, but prior to that it was all a bit, 'lump it to Carroll' in approach, particularly from our less technical CB's.  It obvious Andy is as frustrated by this as we are, and he has a lot more to his game, but it can't be denied that when Carroll plays we don't play as well as a team ......yet.   I have to give credit to Carroll though for his work rate, he helps in defence on set pieces, and does try to do the right thing.  And he's still a young lad with plenty of improvement in him.

Main concern for me is the lack of understanding between him and Suarez.

Strengths - He does have an eye for goal, and can link up play well.  Pretty decent touch too most of the time

Weaknesses - He's pretty static compared to say, Bellamy, Suarez or Kuyt. 

Both, I think Liverpool need to adapt to Carroll.  As I said earlier, Andy doesn't want big long hoofs out of defence.  When we have technically able CB's who can contribute to us building an attack from the back, I think Andy will benefit no end.  Carroll, does need to improve his understanding with some of his team mates, and to learn how to fit in to a pass and move system.

I'm not sure he's a nailed on starter in the team a la Suarez, and I'm not sure his style of play is the most useful against all opposition, but I like him.  I think he is a good option to have to offer a different style of play.  This season I don't see him getting that many goals, but I hope he can chip in with a few and build a decent relationship with Suarez.  He's got some good attributes, we just need to work out how to fit them in to our team.  His future career?  I'm not sure to be honest, with the team still in transition I feel it's too early to tell.  I hope he's really successful though!

BazC:

--- Quote from: StevenLFC on October  7, 2011, 11:29:37 am ---note from Hinesy: This is part one of occasional internal spyin' kop type threads which are generated in the Writers Forum and brought over. Please join in, especially during the international break when this will remain stickied

This weeks subject will be Andy Carroll, as he seems to divide opinion.

--- End quote ---

1. It was funny, because it took all the attention away from Suarez who sort of slipped in through the back door whilst everything with Torres/Carroll was kicking off. Of course, by the time he actually took to the pitch his quality exploded into the faces of every Liverpool fan watching that day. And I think that's been a boon for everyone involved in the Carroll transfer because it's taken the pressure off somewhat (if Suarez wasn't capable of scoring a goal every other game, there would have been shouts about Carroll rather than the background murmurs and whispers at the moment).

I was excited like everyone else about him coming in. And like everyone else I batted away the price tag as though it was nothing, although I'm sure there were, and are, many of us who still get that nagging doubt about the whole thing; was it worth it? In hindsight, he didn't make any impact in the second half of the season and maybe it would have made more sense to actually wait in the summer and spend that money more productively (even if we spent it on Carroll anyway, you wouldn't think he'd have cost as much as he did). The thing with Torres is is that we were truly shaken by what he did- it was really gutting (I remember exactly where and when I found out actually, which is pretty sad/funny). At that time anyone who'd have replaced him would have been a big step down really, because he was one of the best goalscorers in Europe up until that point.

2. I don't think it's a big burden as long as we win things. Just like £50m wouldn't be a burden for Chelsea as long as they win trophies. I said at the time, I wouldn't care much if Carroll turned out to be shite over the next 2-3 years as long as we won trophies. The point it starts becoming a pressure is when you don't make CL football or don't make credible title challenges in time and Carroll's one of those not performing. We're obviously not there yet. Also, I think it's obvious that there could have been more productive uses of that money, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a big added pressure.

3. Very average. Honestly speaking, I haven't even put them as better than how Crouch was for us yet. Maybe even that's optimistic. Cautiously, I'll compare him to Keane- a player who just didn't seem to 'fit' into the team as it is at the moment. The promising thing in this case, however, is that we still have some major development to come from this team, which is still growing and has a way to go. The team Keane came into was ready to challenge for big titles, and he disrupted it. At the moment, Carroll's like the rest of the team pretty much- trying to find it's feet and express that talent. Some of them have started forming those relationships across the park (Downing and Enrique and Suarez and Kuyt for example), but there's still a lot more to come yet. I think that's the case with Andy too (and wasn't the case with Keane).

4. His hammer of a left foot- it's awesome. He's big and strong but for me it's not a strength of his yet because he doesn't use it as well as a top striker should (Kenny needs to feed him DVDs of Drogba). I think those areas are where his strengths are and will lie in the coming seasons.

5. It's all a bit chicken and egg; does a player fit into a system or should the system fit around the players. I think the best managers play with bot aspects- the mould a player into a system but they'll flex the system around players as well. Alex Ferguson provides the best example of this over the years in my opinion- his players and systems change every time he builds a new team, but they always seem to win. Perhaps Mourinho is another example. Anyway, with Andy, I think he needs to quicken up and be more mobile for the current pass and move system to work effectively around him, and for the others, they need to include him in that system rather than start smashing it forward all the time. Interestingly, I've been thinking a lot about Barca's experience with Ibrahimovic- suddenly a quick, dynamic pass and move side find themselves with a player who slowed the pace down naturally. It didn't really work, but I think that was as much down to Ibrahimovic's reluctance to adapt himself to a quicker game based around passing and of course, by then the Barca style was so well ingrained that they were never going to adapt it (even if they were able to).

Andy's at the start of his career and should find that adapting process easier. The team's also less established in its own style and should find it easier to flex around Andy's strengths. I talked about his hammer blow of a left foot. I just can't believe it hasn't been used that often. I mean, every time he seems to be in a decent position to score, he generally scores! It's just that he doesn't seem to be getting in those positions too often...

6. I just hope he finds his feet soon enough so we can emerge as favourites for 4th place and reach it. We could do with a shitload of goals from him, but I'm not expecting that- it'd be a great result though and one I hope for if not expect. Looking forward into his career- well I hope he has the impact on our team that Drogba has had on the Chelsea team and Ibrahimovic had on the Inter team. They're 2 big role models for him at the moment in my opinion.

Aristotle:

Honestly, my first reaction was that the site had been hacked. All the flash images had gone, so had the menu bar and the only image was that we had accepted an offer from Chelsea. Then went on here and the media sites were all reporting it and at first I felt shocked, then went through the Kübler-Ross stages of grief in around an hour. Before thinking fuck it, players come and go and I'd always kinda liked Carroll.

For Liverpool no. Kenny is smart enough to not give a fuck, and the owners wouldn't have sanctioned the fee without fair dues. I do wonder how Andy feels though. For a young man that's a shitload of pressure that he's getting bombarded with, everytime he turns on the TV or Radio, checks the paper or walks down the street. Not helped at all by the likes of Fabio Capello making his alleged problems public, and his supposed idol Shearer mentioning it in every media outlet that listens.

Hit and miss. Against City last season he looked unstoppable then there were times where he looked incapable of hitting the ocean if he fell in it. He's looked increasingly sharp the last few weeks though. His goal against Exeter shows what he can do with the ball at his feet (something I've always said we should focus on) and his goal against the Bitters showed something of a poacher's instinct.

He's great in the air, but deceptively good with the ball at his feet. Has a cannon of a left foot and shouldn't be afraid of shooting outside the box. His size and stature are a bit of a double edged sword however. He lacks acceleration and in terms of closing down opposition players it's a side that needs a lot of work, his size also makes him a bit clumsy in challenges and refs have some prejudiced fetish for calling a foul on every aerial challenge he wins. Needs to get someone from the scouting team to put together a "How to" video of Vieri, Shearer, Drogba et al to model his game after. His strength can be his biggest asset but if not used correctly will end up hindering his play.

One could argue that the likes of Downing were brought in, in order to get the best out of him. I don't think it'll be necessary though. Maybe I'm just so naive in the matter but the way I see it is simple. He'll either fit in or he won't. Adapting to him, would be the wrong move and a sign of bulking under the pricetag. Suarez is the focal point of the attack and we should adapt to him. If that means a 5 man midfield, then big Andy gives way. If it means a human-tank that draws away defenders and can throw his weight around then by all means throw him in there. He's being trained to play the Liverpool way, and Kenny won't ever compromise that to benefit a single player.

I think it will take a long time personally. He'll have dryspells and the like this season and the next. But I think he has the potential to do it all. I think he'll follow the Luca Toni/Didier Drogba mould. He's already there physically, with the right training and discipline he'll become an absolute machine but like with the aforementioned strikers it will take some time before the head follows suit. And I mean that as a compliment. Once he accepts his limitations and starts focusing on his strengths he can become an absolte phenomenon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version