Author Topic: Will Kenny or Comoli be scouting any players at the international matches  (Read 349691 times)

Offline Khal

• Kopite
Re: Will Kenny or Comoli be scouting any players at the international matches
« Reply #3440 on: April 14, 2011, 12:38:40 pm »
If he's waited that long, another season shouldn't be too hard to sell.
[/quote]

Lets hope so.

Offline Red Dane

• Kopite
  • Probinate nobis similibusque
« Reply #3441 on: April 14, 2011, 12:41:11 pm »
I really hope we don't sign Cahill and Young as our big ones. They're both painfully average. If we have to sign a British duo, Shawcross and Johnson for me. We have so many ball-playing centre-backs coming through, but not enough tough tackling ones. And Johnson is the best winger in England.

I don't think shitty will sell to us. However, if they buy Sanchez, then Johnsons chances for first team footie will probably be limited, and then he will look our way - hopefully.
Every power draws its ultimate consequences at every moment. Supposing that this also is only interpretation-and you will be eager enough to make this objection?-well, so much the better. (Nietzsche; Beyond Good & Evil, p. 30-31).

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3442 on: April 14, 2011, 12:41:14 pm »
Thought Benedikt Howedes was pretty decent to be honest.

He is very good. He was excellent with Germany's U-21 team a few years ago as well.

Offline bakstabba

• Lord, what fools these mortals be!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3443 on: April 14, 2011, 12:42:22 pm »
I really hope we don't sign Cahill and Young as our big ones. They're both painfully average. If we have to sign a British duo, Shawcross and Johnson for me. We have so many ball-playing centre-backs coming through, but not enough tough tackling ones. And Johnson is the best winger in England.

Too many ball-playing CBs? Are you serious? First of all the reason why Agger, even given his injury record is rated so highly is because ball playing defenders of a top league standard are very rare. When they do come along, they will come at a premium (low supply, high demand!). David Luiz, for example. English ball playing CBs are even further and fewer between.

Also, Adam Johnson is not a 'winger' that will drill/float in many, if not any crosses in a game.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 12:44:30 pm by bakstabba »
Socrates did have a habit of polarising opinion, as does Lucas. Lucas is also good at hemming opponents in and locking them into difficult situations.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3444 on: April 14, 2011, 12:42:47 pm »
We have so many ball-playing centre-backs coming through, but not enough tough tackling ones.
Why either or? Is it not possible to be a strong, tough, tackler and good on the ball, at the same time?

« Reply #3445 on: April 14, 2011, 12:43:39 pm »
Hmm interesting targets with 3 CBs listed as serious targets this week sounds crazy but maybe we're in for a new CB partnership while letting Agger and Skrtel go.

Cahill/Sahko   Sahko/Kjaer   Cahill/Kjaer

Offline spena

• Main Stander
« Reply #3446 on: April 14, 2011, 12:47:19 pm »

Not according to city fans he aint

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3447 on: April 14, 2011, 12:49:02 pm »
True.  We have a mindset that has been detrimental for us against the lower teams, and for whatever reason we can't shake it. However, I really really doubt that getting Adam, Cahill and Enrique would solve the problem.  The mindset is deep into the core of the squad.  If they come, then they will assimilate in my opinion.  It's kind of similar to the torres situation described by Jonathan Wilson here. Torres can't fit in because Chelsea are stuck playing the 4-1-2-3, and can't get away from it (even though they have tried) because it's been built into the squad.  It ingrained in the team as the inability to break down lower teams is for LFC.   I honestly think the best solution is Suarez and patience from the supporters.  A man not afraid to take the number 7, and be able to play his own game (someone, who's also capable of the final pass which we've lacked for a while in my opinion)This is also why I've been so in favour of bringing Aqua back.  The other solution is to completely dismantle the squad and start again ...which we won't do. 

Sorry I disagree -The reason why Torres is working at Chelsea is cause it was a poor buy. Anyone who has seen Torres over the last 18 months knows that he isn't the same player when he joined us and clearly doesn't have the right mind set. Sometimes when your a top draw player you believe that your better than what you really are.

Aqua is a decent player and I would have him back but only if the lad wants to be here 100% but if he doesn't I wouldn't be crying over him as I think he is more suited to Serie A than the PL anyway.

Suarez adds skill and is a fighter, Carroll is a fighter we lacked that in our team since Torres stop really trying but you can't have a dream team like Madrid used to wish for you need players that know how to beat lower league teams.

Like I say I think we will sign a marquee player but I think that we need to build a squad with a winning mind set rather than a dream team.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:11:45 pm by Fordy »

Offline James Mac

• Sabu Pundit's PR
  • Legacy Fan
  • Return of the Mac
« Reply #3448 on: April 14, 2011, 12:49:03 pm »
Why either or? Is it not possible to be a strong, tough, tackler and good on the ball, at the same time?

I can't think of any off the top of my head, that really excel at both... But yes, if we could find one of them, great. Although I always think a partnership should be one and the other. Like Ferdinand/Vidic, Terry/Carvalho, Carra/Agger etc

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3449 on: April 14, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »
Hmm interesting targets with 3 CBs listed as serious targets this week sounds crazy but maybe we're in for a new CB partnership while letting Agger and Skrtel go.

As I said yesterday we need to upgrade on Skrtel.

Selling Agger could prove hard.

Offline Dreams-and-Songs

• Main Stander
  • The Originals.
« Reply #3450 on: April 14, 2011, 12:52:21 pm »
I agree, i think we will sign one top player for the left wing, then hopefully a third striker, CB and LB.

Personally, i think we do have a good spine to the team but i think the big difference that we have missed out on in recent years is, more importantly, getting that 'winning mentality' back. This is evidently how United have been winning so much over recent years as they are simply used to it, their team isnt that great. So i can't wait to see what Kenny can achieve with a fresh season in front of him. Its like the first thing he said we he joined us. 'I want to get the players smiling again and enjoying their football.'

YNWA
They say our days are numbered, we're not famous anymore....

« Reply #3451 on: April 14, 2011, 12:53:10 pm »
Sorry I disagree -The reason why Torres is working at Chelsea is cause it was a poor buy. Anyone who has seen Torres over the last 18 months knows that he isn't the same player when he joined us and clearly doesn't have the right mind set. Sometimes when your a top draw player you believe that your better than what you really are.

Aqua is a decent player and I would have him back but only if the lad wants to be here 100% but if he doesn't I wouldn't be crying over him as I think he is more suited to Serie A than the PL anyway.

Suarez adds skill and is a fighter, Cahill is a fighter we lacked that in our team since Torres stop really trying but you can't have a dream team like Madrid used to wish for you need players that know how to beat lower league teams.

Like I say I think we will sign a marquee player but I think that we need to build a squad with a winning mind set rather than a dream team.
Wouldn't say Torres was a poor buy, he's lost the extra yard of pace but with a creative player around him he will be deadly. Him and Drogba don't work as both want to be the main focus of the attack

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3452 on: April 14, 2011, 12:54:04 pm »
I can't think of any off the top of my head, that really excel at both... But yes, if we could find one of them, great. Although I always think a partnership should be one and the other. Like Ferdinand/Vidic, Terry/Carvalho, Carra/Agger etc

Maybe Nesta/Thiago Silva and Hummels/Subotic are examples of partnerships that excel at both.

« Reply #3453 on: April 14, 2011, 12:55:13 pm »
As I said yesterday we need to upgrade on Skrtel.

Selling Agger could prove hard.
Personally I sell Agger before Skrtel and I think you'd find there would be alot of takers for Agger in less physical leagues

« Reply #3454 on: April 14, 2011, 12:56:13 pm »
I agree, i think we will sign one top player for the left wing, then hopefully a third striker, CB and LB.

Personally, i think we do have a good spine to the team but i think the big difference that we have missed out on in recent years is, more importantly, getting that 'winning mentality' back. This is evidently how United have been winning so much over recent years as they are simply used to it, their team isnt that great. So i can't wait to see what Kenny can achieve with a fresh season in front of him. Its like the first thing he said we he joined us. 'I want to get the players smiling again and enjoying their football.'

YNWA
I'd say 2 players for the left, it's the area of the pitch where we have no one(except Jova ofcourse)

Offline a glass of wine Sir?

• Kopite
  • NESV..."thank you" x
« Reply #3455 on: April 14, 2011, 12:57:22 pm »

or maybe its one form a few targets as a replacement for skrtel/agger, or as more competition?
Take us back to the champions league....

http://twitter.com/#!/TimGale031181

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3456 on: April 14, 2011, 12:57:36 pm »
Kjaer has been crap for Wolfsburg. I don't want him no where near LFC.  :butt
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3457 on: April 14, 2011, 01:00:03 pm »

YNWA

It's all about "Winning Mentality" and we lack that against lower league teams. As I say against top teams we have it, against lower league teams we don't. 

People think that UTD play weak teams against lower league clubs - No they don't. They play players that know how to beat them teams, players that will fight for the shirt and want to be in the team - Smalling, Carrick, Gibson, Valencia - all come in to the team against the lower league teams mixed with quality such as Vidic, giggs etc.

It's finding that balance and current our squad lacks that balance as we don't have enough players that know how to rumble against lower league teams.

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3458 on: April 14, 2011, 01:02:50 pm »

shhhhh hes quality on FM.
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Khal

• Kopite
« Reply #3459 on: April 14, 2011, 01:07:15 pm »

Yep, that's what I have been hearing as well.

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3460 on: April 14, 2011, 01:07:35 pm »

Suarez adds skill and is a fighter, Cahill is a fighter we lacked that in our team since Torres stop really trying but you can't have a dream team like Madrid used to wish for you need players that know how to beat lower league teams.

Honestly..I don't buy the into feeling that Torres has suddenly lost everything that made him a good striker, upon joining Chelsea.  I think a combination of Hodgson, and playing with Drogba, Anelka, and having no player that can really directly put him through on goal (clearly is greatest strength) and of course multiple injuries, have led to it looking like a decline (Of course the injuries take toll, as does age, but not as much as it appears).  He may never reach the level he did in his first season with us, but I think he still has it in his closet.   

And I never said I wanted a dream team.  Rather, just a player that plays against the mold.  The player that can spot a sneaky pass.  Using Carroll is important to this (or will be in the future) as he will draw defenders towards him (if we play as I'm expecting we play) but that one (just one) player whose movement and vision is consistently good enough to get through a defence is the most important peice in my opinion.  Like you said, we need the mindset, but without that player it's not going to change.   The other factor is the lower teams impression of us. With Torres in our side, they pretty much parked the bus so as to not get found out by his acceleration.   That made it even more difficult to break down.   But we can't change that straight away.  We can change what we have, and I feel that bit of consistent magic is what we need.

And if you look at the pl winners recently.  You look at Nani this year, Ronaldo before, Lampard and Drogba last year for Chelsea, all were not only capable of being that person but were pivotal in their team's triumph. In my opinion, we've now got one in Suarez.

edit: And I agree with you about Aqua.  If he's not willing to come here for the forseeable future (i.e. the remainder of his contract), then there's no point keeping him, as it's detrimental for a side still bulding, if the player leaves after a season.  If he's willing to come back for 3ish years then I'll welcome him back with open arms
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:13:08 pm by PJG »

Offline rappcats

• Kopite
  • *random formation graph*
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #3461 on: April 14, 2011, 01:07:37 pm »

If we're planing a new CB partership it won't happen after one summer.

Offline trequartista

• Legacy Fan
  • We won it 5 times
« Reply #3462 on: April 14, 2011, 01:08:05 pm »
Yeah but he has a fancy foreign name and it sounds better then the dull english name cahill so we must buy him...!!! ::)

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #3463 on: April 14, 2011, 01:09:23 pm »

Exactly.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3464 on: April 14, 2011, 01:09:24 pm »
Wouldn't say Torres was a poor buy, he's lost the extra yard of pace but with a creative player around him he will be deadly. Him and Drogba don't work as both want to be the main focus of the attack

He was a poor buy mate - 1) It seems like it was an owners buy which never goes down well with the current players 2) you have to fit him in 3) 50m for a player that have been average by his standards over the last 18months 4) lost an extra yard 5) currently don't have a Gerrard sort of player to create for him 6) Chelsea started scoring goals again before he signed 7) younger players they could of got for less than 50m that would suited their play better 8 ) If owners buy then manager has to pick him 9) Moody 10) He is a C^&K

Offline Howard1234

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3465 on: April 14, 2011, 01:10:04 pm »
great post, and has been the problem for a while. its why united are winning the league, they beat lower teams with ease. our players cannot. simple.

spot on. I would rather Mancs beat us twice and we beat all the lower teams

Offline olllie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3466 on: April 14, 2011, 01:17:08 pm »
spot on. I would rather Mancs beat us twice and we beat all the lower teams
I'd rather we beat the Mancs twice and the lower teams aswell

Offline James Mac

• Sabu Pundit's PR
  • Legacy Fan
  • Return of the Mac
« Reply #3467 on: April 14, 2011, 01:21:03 pm »
Maybe Nesta/Thiago Silva and Hummels/Subotic are examples of partnerships that excel at both.

True that. Well if we can find someone who does both, excellent.

« Reply #3468 on: April 14, 2011, 01:22:14 pm »
He was a poor buy mate - 1) It seems like it was an owners buy which never goes down well with the current players 2) you have to fit him in 3) 50m for a player that have been average by his standards over the last 18months 4) lost an extra yard 5) currently don't have a Gerrard sort of player to create for him 6) Chelsea started scoring goals again before he signed 7) younger players they could of got for less than 50m that would suited their play better 8 ) If owners buy then manager has to pick him 9) Moody 10) He is a C^&K
Yeah I agree with what you say, what I meant to say earlier was that he is still a good player just doesn't fit with what Chelsea already have. If Chelsea had gone for Suarez he would have been hit there

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #3469 on: April 14, 2011, 01:23:05 pm »
Things will be different with Suarez and Carroll playing in tandem, especially Suarez who plays the same way regardless the venue and the opponents. Both are characters who will not take it lying down, unlike some spanish ninny.

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #3470 on: April 14, 2011, 01:25:36 pm »
I don't think shitty will sell to us. However, if they buy Sanchez, then Johnsons chances for first team footie will probably be limited, and then he will look our way - hopefully.

Or, a better scenario for us, we buy Sanchez and they keep Johnson  ;)

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3471 on: April 14, 2011, 01:30:05 pm »
For what its worth, some United fan wrote on twitter to Ben Smith "I'm hearing the deals for Rodwell and Young to MU are done"...Ben Smith replied with "Not what I am hearing".

I will find out for sure next week but the feedback I initially got a few weeks ago was that United were not nearly as keen on Young as the media were making out. I don't even think buying him makes sense for them...they have Nani, Valencia, Park, Wellbeck and Cleverley coming back from loan and Giggs will be around for another year certainly.

Offline Souljacker

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3472 on: April 14, 2011, 01:32:22 pm »
& we never established how reliable that paper is, just that islamists aren't keen on it.

Being Danish and all, I thought I just give my 2-cents here. Jyllands Posten & Politiken are usually quite reliable.
The news is by the way in the paper, not online.
Kjær would be awesome alongside (or as a replacement for - if injury-proneness gets the best of him) Agger.
They complement eachother great in the national team, & just as Agger, Kjær is very good with his feet (and prolly better with his head)!

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3473 on: April 14, 2011, 01:34:33 pm »
Yeah I agree with what you say, what I meant to say earlier was that he is still a good player just doesn't fit with what Chelsea already have. If Chelsea had gone for Suarez he would have been hit there

Oh don't get me wrong Torres is a good player however I just think it was the wrong buy for Chelsea in Jan and the wrong time for Torres to move. We played to Torres strengths now if Chelsea want to do that then the future of Lampard and others are at risk.

Now a 50m buy will end up costing about 125m as you need players that can play how he wants - Bad buy.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3474 on: April 14, 2011, 01:35:56 pm »
For what its worth, some United fan wrote on twitter to Ben Smith "I'm hearing the deals for Rodwell and Young to MU are done"...Ben Smith replied with "Not what I am hearing".

I will find out for sure next week but the feedback I initially got a few weeks ago was that United were not nearly as keen on Young as the media were making out. I don't even think buying him makes sense for them...they have Nani, Valencia, Park, Wellbeck and Cleverley coming back from loan and Giggs will be around for another year certainly.

Utd fans always think they have signed players they're interested in.

However I do think they will sign Rodwell - not sure about Young.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3475 on: April 14, 2011, 01:37:09 pm »
Utd fans always think they have signed players they're interested in.

However I do think they will sign Rodwell - not sure about Young.
Agree on Rodwell. If Young has serious England aspirations then he should move to a club he will be starting each week. With guys like AJ and Lennon there is some competition in Young's position for England.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3476 on: April 14, 2011, 01:44:09 pm »
Agree on Rodwell. If Young has serious England aspirations then he should move to a club he will be starting each week. With guys like AJ and Lennon there is some competition in Young's position for England.

Think it all depends on where Young thinks he wants to play. If its in the hole like he is doing now for Villa then he will think he will get game time however if a 30m player can't get in to the team then I don't fancy his chances.

If he feels it's LM mainly then he would be foolish not joining us as he would currently walk in to our team.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #3477 on: April 14, 2011, 01:46:37 pm »

I like Shawcross, but Cahill is better than him at everything except heading the ball. Considerably better. Cahill is one of the victims of the Premiership being a closed off league at the top.

I don't think some on here have seen half as much of Cahill as they make out before jumping in with an opinion (based on passport...)

One lad was saying we shouldn't be targeting players like him because of the type of football Bolton play. They've probably played better stuff than we have over the majority of the last 15 months! It's not the Allardyce team any more.

Cahill is very good on the ball. Easily comparable to either Vidic or Ferdinand. He is not Agger good, but then the only centrebacks in the league that are are Luiz and Agger. There's being a ball-playing centreback and then there's being a genuine libero. Agger, Luiz and Pique are the latter but they're a select few. That doesn't mean they're the only centrebacks good on the ball. People have to recognise the difference between being able to step out of defence, pick a pass and even move ahead of play when the situation calls for it, and the ability those 3 have to move out of defence, dribble pass a player or three, do a cryuff turn and then think "let's chip the keeper". United haven't had a centreback like that for as long as I can remember. For all the hype over Rio Beckenbauer (Franz Ferdinand) he was never, ever anything like that. What he does is that he'll move in to space if the opposition offer it, and he'll drop a shoulder to make it. Same as Cahill really.

Cahill doesn't hesitate and wait for the opposition to set its self before stepping forward. He moves forward with the ball and plays it crisply. Occasionally he'll follow the play if the opportuity presents its self. That is what 95% of your ball-playing centrebacks do. If they throw one of these as the cherry on the top of that cake once in a while then that's just brilliant.

He's good in the air in either box, he's aggressive and strong, his tackling when he needs go to ground is very clean, he's got decent pace if he gets turned. He's a very good defender who is improving quite steadily and is now doing so in a team that plays good football and leave themselves open.

The only thing I've seen wrong with him is a few times when Bolton try to play an offside line he is very deep and gives himself too much to do to step-up. I remember him doing it away to Stoke earlier this season. Consequently he has to show that ability to slide tackle a lot more than he should, and it can't always come off. I wouldn't expect him to be the perfect centrehalf though, and his problems are stuff that gets coached rather than anything physical he'll never get over.

Maybe he needs to go to Palermo or Espanyol to get the credit he's due, rather than the out-right skepticism because of his passport.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #3478 on: April 14, 2011, 01:47:12 pm »
Don't buy that I'm afraid. Wes Brown called up when he wasn't even playing for ManU.
 If it was about England and he felt like regular=England then he could play every week for Villa, job done, England calling.
IMHO its the bigger club opportunity.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #3479 on: April 14, 2011, 01:48:16 pm »
The obvious stated as news. What the hell did you think Comolli was appointed for, Ben?

In a nutshell.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."