Author Topic: RAWK Round Table Liverpool 1-0 Stoke.  (Read 20515 times)

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Round Table Liverpool 1-0 Stoke.
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2013, 07:40:36 pm »

Can't believe some people don't want us to sign another forward- our aim is to win the league, that's what we should be trying our best to do until it's impossible for us to win, then we aim for second, so yes we need better forwards.

A good cross for Sturridge to attack is better than a 30 pass move that goes nowhere, our challenge is that we don't get enough quality crosses into the box, we don't always have the numbers in the box (this seems to be improving slowly) and we don't finish enough of the chances that we do create-

Signing a left back who can deliver quality crosses from wide and is good in the air would add alot to this team, signing one more quality forward turns us into a dark horse for the title (if we keep our best players fit and available)

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2013, 07:51:38 pm »
He doesn´t seem to rate Skrtel, fair enough, but if so then we should sell as soon as possible and bring in a proven, young and strong center back as it would be a big gamble to rely on Toure as our second first choice CB for an entire season. Keeping Skrtel, paying him good wages while not playing him would be wasteful which we cannot affort, that´s for sure, just as it´s not enough to bring in players with shouting abilities for relying on them organising our defense.

I think it's probably more that he doesn't rate Skrtel as the CB he wants to build the team around, but that Skrtel can probably fill in where needed until we bring someone in. Let's not forget that between Skrtel, Toure and Agger, we have 3 highly experienced EPL and international defenders. That's probably good enough with Wisdom, Coates or Kelly as suitable back ups to use occasionally. It means we can take our time to find the best possible CB to bring in and at the right price.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2013, 07:55:45 pm »
I think it's probably more that he doesn't rate Skrtel as the CB he wants to build the team around, but that Skrtel can probably fill in where needed until we bring someone in. Let's not forget that between Skrtel, Toure and Agger, we have 3 highly experienced EPL and international defenders. That's probably good enough with Wisdom, Coates or Kelly as suitable back ups to use occasionally. It means we can take our time to find the best possible CB to bring in and at the right price.

I think there was something different happening, some sort of a fall out as Rodgers gave Skrtel a new contract only a year ago. If he will be still around, Rodgers has to play him, anything else would be sulking and not professional. We cannot rely on legends building and heros in the making, it´s what happening on the pitch which counts and for that we cannot affort to have a top player like Skrtel not even on the bench. We are not City, we need all the quality there is around...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:58:01 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2013, 10:08:52 pm »
Aah. Opening day. Could not have come soon enough.

As with the Liverpool squad I too was eager and restless. At Anfield. Against, with respect, lesser opposition.

As the day turned out, I watched the game in a absolutely record-breaking intoxicated state. I've done me fair share of partying, but.. well, it was a good day. Circumstances made sure I couldn't watch the game live, so it was recorded and I managed to stay offline for the day so I could enjoy it late in the evening.

I've got a picture of me notes somewhere, lost about half of them somewhere, probably ate them as seasoning on the late night pizza. Will see if, for shits and giggles I'll attach them. I blame Roy for this, he did it, I don't remember when, but it was a fairly.. fun thing to see. All of us who do that stuff should post it up, hehe.

So, there was a game.

First thing I've written down is just a word - no, a name;

Lucas

The lad is getting back to where he was, he really is. Somewhere on my hard drive there's something I've written about the lad about that fucking injury and how, I believe, it, potentially, has robbed the beautiful game of one of it's greats. I really fucking believe that. Given his age, skill and progress at the time. I think we were on to watching a future great. One who would define a ruling midfielder, someone we'd talk about for generations. I really believe that. He could/can be that good. But enough of that. Lucas was good, he was back to his imperial self.

Apparently I've made a note that 'Henderson to slow'. First 15 I thought he was struggling a bit. He wasn't bad - don't get me wrong, it's just that I started to think that we're matching them. We cancel them out. I'm starting to ponder that we might need to trade athleticism for creativity. Also, Coutinho was not 'in' the game - yet.

First 14: this LFC team is good.

30 mins: we're fucking it up. There was a brief spell of misplacing passes and being slightly out of position. Combined with a bit of 'shite luck' - ball not bouncing our way. I was borderline worried.

Next note: Lucas is imperial -> space.
Fuck me. The lad is our 2nd defender for -anyone-. If it's in his zone, he stops it. If it's in one of our other lads in Reds' zone, he's closing of the space if the opposition breaks through and/or, where the opposition would find support. I love it.

Goal. Sturridge. Fairly good attacking build-up, but the shot itself is, in my opinion, a Hail Mary.
We've been knocking on the door fairly consistently. We have good movement, good control - but it hasn't paid off. It was a, I don't know what to call it, something along the lines of Sturridge going; "fuck it, I'm giving it a go". And it was a good shot.
Against a good keeper who had a very good game.
All is good.

All in all. A good half. Not only for us, I genuinely think it was a good half all around. Entertaining, good fun and a wee bit of nerve, (hello Mr. Crossbar).

Again, I've noted; 'sub for creativity. we match them'
And I think we did. They're a physical team, they're playing to their strengths. Sparky wanted to get a bit 'fancy' with pressuring our centerbacks and keeper, as Hinesy correctly pointed out, but I still thought; we match them - and we're gonna keep that up. Get even more creativity in there!

Gerrards passing is right there.
I thought he had a real Captains performance. Apologies for not remembering - and not going back to check, but as someone else said, he made it look easy. I really liked it, it was a joy to behold. He held his position admirably. He covered as he should. And he passed like Gerrard can. With no fucking effort, just placing the ball where it should be. It was lovely.

Aspas been energetic.
He was, wasn't he. I'm gonna say he had a brilliant debut. He was all up for it. All over the park. Harrying, pressuring, harassing, passing, running, and so on and so forth. Add good movement, technique and passing and we're there. Very good Iago, keep it up, and you'll make headlines. Proper cult hero in the making.

Here I've made a note that we sound like Spurs - and I don't like it, heh

I also think we had good defensive discipline when needed. I think we held our defensive formation well. If/when our initial pressing and attempts to win the ball back high/right away, I thought we looked good in getting back in shape and showed good concentration.

I like Aspas. He's a bit mad ain't he..

FORFUCKSAKE

Begovic is a very, very good keeper. That is all.

At this stage I'm reminding myself that we're one up. It's a bit.. weird. Because I'm still at the edge of my seat. Hurrying the lads on. 'We need a goal now lads!'.
Such was the anticipation, the chances we're making, the sweet itch of opening day. I felt we needed more goals.

Lucas. That cunting injury.. (more on that a rainy day)

Next. As been pointed out elsewhere - especially by the gaffer himself; Team Spirit. There's something about this Liverpool team. There's something about the lads in Red out there. We really are in this together, we're there for each other and the fuck if we're giving up. I like it.

Coutinho is now running the show. Get your damn money on him right now for, well, for shitloads of stuff really. (*tinfoilhattime* We're Liverpool, we'll get nothing   :-X). That wee lad is it already, but he's going to be something really special.

MIGNOLET!
LIKE. A. FUCKING. GOAL!

Good Simon has been good, but nervy. And with that comes doubts - not just among our poor souls, but, scarily, to the good Simon himself. A bad, evil circle. I'm betting there was a fair few among us who during the game had a few; 'not again'.

But he saved it.

And I celebrated it like an 89 minute winner. I got teary-eyed. I really did. Roy touched upon this in his brill #SHANKLY100 post.

It was magic.

And he saved the follow up.

Good game, good win, up the reds.

@Yvanicuzz

Offline Redstafarian

• Anny Roader
  • Fish fingers, mash n peas
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2013, 08:11:27 am »
Ok, better late than never. I was pretty impressed by the energy we showed out there, and by the trickery and the flowing moves, and by some of the simple stuff too. What we do lack is a bit of steel in some areas. We are quite a small team and we looked like we were standing around at times watching whenever the ball came in to the box in the air. We lacked a physical presence higher up the ground too. Don't get me wrong, I loved the way we played for 80% of the game, but I was worried during the other 19%. The other 1% I was in the toilet.

Positives:

Lucas looking like he was picking up where he left off before the injury - class act, massive gain for us.

Stevie spraying it about in that deep lying role.

Aspas darting about and looking dangerous always.

Kolo bossing the backline about like he had been possessed by the spirit of Carra.

Phil doing what only Phil can do, magic week in week out. Where are we without him though?

Sturridge catches one in the middle and provides that something extra that wasn't going to happen otherwise.

Mignolet guessing right and showing us all that yes there is hope.

The atmosphere ... reminded me of the best of days passed, and made me think of the many more to come.

Henderson getting into some great areas at the right time.

Negatives:

Henderson not putting one of those away.

Mignolet flapping Pepe style and his doddery footwork.

A lot of Sturridges attempted 'magic man' passes/shots.

So, to sum up, we are going to play some really nice stuff, no doubt, but we can't rely on a bit of magic to get us over the line and will have to be more direct and physical if we are to slug out many of the much needed 1-0's on the cold wet wintery afternoon's to come. We dn't have all the answers yet, but it's clear there is a plan in place and it is building and things, well, they are looking pretty well alright so far.

Liverpool 2 West Ham 1, BBC Radio live coverage of league cup final  ... first and best memory

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2013, 08:32:15 pm »
As far as I can see from this match our forward movement has massively improved under Brendan. I remember there was a GIF of a passing move that was being endlessly played from Rafa’s time here where we were pinging the ball about like a pinball table before (eventually) missing the shot. We are now seeing moves like that regularly in matches – both at the end of last season and the start of this one.

Here we are:

Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2013, 09:17:20 pm »
Here we are:

Dirk, integral to our passing game as always.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2013, 09:29:27 pm »
I love watching that gif everytime it comes up. It's mesmerising. That's exactly how football should be played.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2013, 09:44:16 pm »
Liverpool Football Club had won the English Football league eighteen times, but they had never won the English Premier League. After twenty years. Graeme Souness had tried to win the Premier League. Roy Evans had tried to win the Premier League. Gerard Houllier had tried to win the English Premier League. Rafa Benitez had tried to win the English Premier League, and Rafa Benitez had come the closest, the closest for fifteen years. Roy Hodgson had failed at Anfield. Now Brendan Rodgers, in his second season at Anfield, was trying to win the English Premier League. Trying to win the English Premier League for Liverpool Football Club. For the boys on the Spion Kop. For the Supporters of Liverpool Football Club.

On Saturday, the seventeenth of August two thousand and thirteen, Stoke City Football Club came to Anfield, Liverpool. That afternoon, forty four thousand eight hundred and twenty two people came too. Forty four thousand eight hundred and twenty two people came to watch the first game of the 2013-14 season. At home, at Anfield. Steven Gerrard lead out Simon Mignolet, Glen Johnson, Jose Enrique, Kolo Toure, Daniel Agger, Iago Aspas, Philippe Coutinho, Jordan Henderson, Lucas Leiva and Daniel Sturridge to the centre of the pitch, the Anfield pitch. The players of Liverpool Football Club stood in the centre circle, in the centre of the pitch. The Anfield pitch. And the players of Liverpool Football Club turned and waved to every part of the stadium. The Anfield stadium. And then the players of Liverpool Football Club turned and faced the Kop. The Spion Kop. And the players of Liverpool Football Club waved at the Kop. The Spion Kop. And the Kop, the Spion Kop roared -

LI-VER-POOL, LI-VER-POOL, LI-VER-POOL . . .

And in the fifth minute Glen Johnson shot. In the twelfth minute, Steven Gerrard took a corner, and Kolo Toure met the corner. Toure headed the ball, but the ball hit the crossbar. And in the nineteenth minute Iago Aspas had a shot saved. In the twenty eighth minute Jose Enrique took a shot, and it was saved again by Begovic. Asmir Begovic stretching to save. And in the thirty third minute, Enrique shot again, and his shot was blocked. and in the thirty fourth minute Jordan Henderson had his shot saved by Begovic. In the thirty sixth minute Daniel Sturridge had his shot saved by Asmir Begovic, but in the 37th minute Daniel Sturridge scored. And at half time, at home, at Anfield, Liverpool Football Club lead 1-0. In the forty third minute, Phillipe Coutinho shot, and Begovic saved the shot. Begovic, at Anfield. In the fifty third minute, Jordan Henderson shot again, and again Begovic saved the shot. In the sixtieth minute, Sturridge shot again, and Begovic saved. Again. Begovic, at Anfield. In the sixty third minute Henderson took a shot, in the seventy eighth minute Gerrard shot, and in the eighty fifth minute Coutinho shot, and Begovic saved them all.

But in the eighty sixth minute, Raheem Sterling committed a foul. And Charlie Adam took the free kick. Into the Liverpool penalty area. And Daniel Agger handled the ball. And the referee awarded the penalty in the eighty seventh minute. Jonathan Walters stepped up to take the penalty. At the Anfield Road end. Before the supporters of Stoke City Football Club. In the goal, the Liverpool goal Simon Mignolet saved the penalty. And Simon Mignolet saved the rebound. On his debut. At home, at Anfield. And Liverpool Football Club beat Stoke City Football Club one-nil. At home, at Anfield. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:25:16 pm by MichaelA »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2013, 09:52:51 pm »
MichaelA, aka David Peace... ;)
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2013, 11:01:38 pm »
Michael Ace.

Online Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2013, 11:22:15 pm »
Liverpool Football Club had won the English Football league nineteen times

I count the 89 one too.  In my head, Michael Thomas put it wide.  ;)

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2013, 11:25:02 pm »

ah fuck. Wish fulfilment. ;)

Online Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2013, 11:28:47 pm »

ah fuck. Wish fulfilment. ;)

:D

I liked your post.  It was a post I liked.  Like a post I liked post-liking a previous post.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2013, 11:35:33 pm »
MichaelA, that was rather nice.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2013, 11:38:03 pm »
MichaelA, that was rather nice.

I'm kind of tempted to do the whole season...

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2013, 11:39:10 pm »

Go for it. Butcher that golden egg laying goose.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2013, 11:44:19 pm »

The whole season. It was tempting. To do the whole season.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2013, 11:51:58 pm »
On the internet MichaelA posted about Liverpool, in RAWK towers on the internet MichaelA posted about Liverpool Football Club. In RAWK towers where power was controlled by the few MichaelA posted about Liverpool finishing fourth in the league. Liverpool Football Club finishing fourth in the league. Liverpool Football Club had finished fourth in the league and MichaelA allowed an in-game commentary, on RAWK, on the internet about the league.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2013, 11:59:24 pm »
corkboy was right - I've ruined the round table thread.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2013, 12:01:46 am »

Ha! I always count 1972. The linesman thinks about raising the flag and then decides that Toshack was onside and the championship won't go the Baseball Ground. It will go to Anfield.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline reds7

• Kopite
  • Walk on Tommo
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2013, 12:03:37 am »
Kolo Toure is a beast. Aspas looked hungry and was moving about all over the place, definite upgrade on Downing as a footballer and someone who fits the 'BR' system. I'm actually hoping for a big season from the skipper now he won't feel the need to bomb on as much as he used to, literally carrying the whole team forward.

The balance we have in the side with Sturridge leading the line is obvious, Brendan will be mad to not play him through the middle

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2013, 12:08:18 am »
corkboy was right - I've ruined the round table thread.

;D ;D

But great post by the way.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2013, 01:04:11 am »
MichaelA, aka David Peace... ;)
I know where you coming from Michael, I'm just starting the second part of the book and  after reading 400 odd pages you get so used to the way Peace constructs his sentences, that when I was making tea tonight I was doing a running commentary in my head, 'And he went to the fridge and out of the fridge he took some Parmesan. He went to the fridge and he took out some Parmesan and some mince. He went to the fridge and took out some Parmesan and some mince because tonight it was his intention to make some ragu sauce.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2013, 01:24:02 am »
I know where you coming from Michael, I'm just starting the second part of the book and  after reading 400 odd pages you get so used to the way Peace constructs his sentences, that when I was making tea tonight I was doing a running commentary in my head, 'And he went to the fridge and out of the fridge he took some Parmesan. He went to the fridge and he took out some Parmesan and some mince. He went to the fridge and took out some Parmesan and some mince because tonight it was his intention to make some ragu sauce.

I'm 61 pages in, still getting used to the style, but the Colossus has just arrived, so the plot might take a turn for the better...

Offline Resurrected

• No longer active on the forum.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2013, 02:36:11 pm »
This was very much a game of two halves.

In the first half, Stoke sat deep, defended in numbers, let us play our game, and looked to hit us on the counter. Fairly predictable tactics from a team that has used them against us before with some degree of success. However, a 37th minute goal forced them to change their game plan and tweak their tactics, and they came out for the second half looking a completely different team.

Come full time, i was relieved that we'd managed to hold out for the victory. So let's get this right; 1 - 0. Versus Stoke. At Anfield. We held out. And i'm relieved.

We have a weakness. It's something that other teams exploited last season and we've done nothing to remedy it this summer. And if we don't get it sorted soon, then other teams will figure us out and we'll be in trouble. I'll explain:

Our system of play is built on pressure; We keep possession, push the opposition back and hold them there. It allows us to set the pace, dictate the game, and look for openings in the danger areas. In order to maintain that pressure, we have to pressure the ball in the opponents half and defend a higher line. Our problem is that our centre backs don't defend the higher line. Sure, they push up when we have possession but they don't defend there.

Typically, when we lose possession, they let the opposition run them all the way back to the edge of the area and look to defend there - decreasing the chances of an attacker getting goal side of them. The result of this is that we give away far too many free kicks around the area, too many corners from deflections off our players, let too many crosses come into our box and we concede too many penalties.

And this is what happened in the second half against Stoke. All credit to Mark Hughes for making the changes on saturday. He turned the game on it's head. He ensured that they played the ball up to their attackers who ran at us. What did we do? We did what we always do and backed off all the way back to the edge of the area - our worse case scenario. It allowed them to stick numerous high balls into our box where their bigger players could take advantage. They turned it around and pressured us. And that pressure led to the mistake that led to their penalty.

Make no mistake, we were lucky to come away with all 3 points. I have no doubt that Benteke and Villa will make it even harder in our next game by doing the exact same thing to us, by using the exact same tactics.

In response, we need to implement 3 things to combat this weakness:

1. The nearest player must always go to the ball and attack the ball. Allow everyone else to fall back and cover but each time the ball is moved we have to attack the ball.

2. A typical Man Utd trick; Give away niggly fouls around the half way line. If we obstruct the player, while allowing others to cover, we stop the play and allow us to recover 2 banks of 4. This way, we don't pick up any cards.

3. Get the right players in who will attack the ball and not let the opposition run them back. Papadopolous, or some-one of his ilk would be ideal, with the added bonus of having sufficient recovery pace.

Finally, i'll say that i'm looking forward to the Villa game with a huge amount of dread. I remember what they did to us last season, using those exact tactics that i've outlined above. It's because i don't see any marked improvement in our defensive capabilities that i'm worried that they'll do it again.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2013, 03:56:44 pm »
I don't quite agree about how we defend.

I think we are willing to step up and meet the opposition but only in favourable circumstances. When we can pressure the ball carrier our defenders are more willing to hold a high line and compress space but if the ball carrier has time and space then we won't take that chance. The way Rodgers has us playing I think is ambitious and requires the player on the pitch to decide what to do and act accordingly as a team. IMO it's why he wants a vocal CB on the pitch taking change and why fans are so happy with Toure. He's immensely important and i'm not sure Papadopolous would be an improvement.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Resurrected

• No longer active on the forum.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2013, 04:54:04 pm »
I don't quite agree about how we defend.

I think we are willing to step up and meet the opposition but only in favourable circumstances. When we can pressure the ball carrier our defenders are more willing to hold a high line and compress space but if the ball carrier has time and space then we won't take that chance. The way Rodgers has us playing I think is ambitious and requires the player on the pitch to decide what to do and act accordingly as a team. IMO it's why he wants a vocal CB on the pitch taking change and why fans are so happy with Toure. He's immensely important and i'm not sure Papadopolous would be an improvement.

I see it every game and it makes me mad as hell. We constantly try to slow the attacker by backing off. So many times, Lucas will catch up and make the tackle but there seems to be a reluctance by our centre backs to commit to a tackle further up the field.

Benteke at our place last season was a classic example; He ran us all the way back to the edge of the area and then ran through us into the area where any tackle could potentially result in a penalty. It's how Stoke came back at the weekend - a first half played in their half was transformed into more of an end to end game in the second.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2013, 05:04:46 pm »
It's how Stoke came back at the weekend - a first half played in their half was transformed into more of an end to end game in the second.

I don't think it is how Stoke came back. I think they reverted to a more Stoke like game and just pumped it forward and tried to win the second ball which is where most of the free kicks came from.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2013, 02:00:57 am »
Thanks everyone for the informative discussion.

Anyone know where PoP has been?  :D

Offline thew

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2013, 11:12:02 am »

Please do the whole season!!