Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool vs Wolves, Sunday 12th May 3pm  (Read 33886 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool vs Wolves, Sunday 12th May 3pm
« on: May 8, 2019, 09:56:55 am »

They only went and did it

Everything from History lesson down was wrote prior to last night, honest, I said we should never give up, Barcelona proved it and Mo Salah even wore the shirt, this team gave us yet another reason to be proud of their efforts this season. Anything is possible. Well done boys, what a fucking night. I did say never give up but good god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What can you say about last night, phenomenal stuff.

History lesson: "I wanna be a sledgehammer"

May 1976, friend of a well known rawkite told me a good one. A Liverpool fan is walking up to Molineux for the last game of the season knowing Liverpool could win their 9th league title, he has no ticket. He is approached randomly by a fellow scouser who asks if he has a ticket. “no” is the response, he is asked to “come with me”, im picturing it in my head like some sort of mafia film. The ticketless fan follows with some trepidation:

“You’re not gonna try anything are ya” he says with undoubted quiver, clenched arse and fast heartbeat.

However this is no mafia hitman, he isn’t even a tout, but maybe he is some sort of hitman given he then proceeded to pull a sledgehammer from his coat and crack an almighty hole in the side of a stand. “there ya go mate, in here for free!”

I actually don’t care if it’s true, it’s pretty funny how I picture it in my head.

I have had a good feeling about this season from before day one, pretty much back to the day we signed Allison. What a team we have, I mean jesus Christ 98% of the seasons in the past we wouldn’t have just won the league we would have had it won weeks ago. That percentage is no exaggeration and its roughly the same percentage of time I have felt this season we are going to do it. So much so that I booked a trip for this game as early as September, though I knew tickets would be as rare as rocking horse shit.

I do hope to have a bit more in common with the alleged freeloader above, ok maybe I don’t want to meet a guy with a sledgehammer but I do want to see us win something that has been out of our grasp for the last 29 years.

The above game in question was in Bob Paisley’s second season in charge, at the time a system used was goal average, the number of goals conceded divided into the number of goals scored was what was used to divide up teams that finished level on points. With that in mind Liverpool seemingly could win the league with a low scoring draw. Ah that’s too complicated isn’t it? So we just had to go and win.

Wolves who were relegated made it even harder, Steve Kindon gave Wolves an early lead but Liverpool finally got the job done. A reason I believe sledgehammergate to be true is there was a ridiculous amount of people behind the goal, so much so they literally had to sit behind the goal line. They needless to say went nuts when Kevin Keegan equalized with 14 minutes left. Just to be sure we decided to score two more, a calm controlled finish from John Toshack and a last minute goal from Ray Kennedy saw the fans go wild as they invaded the pitch. Liverpool won the game 3-1 and it was the first leg of a league and Uefa cup double.

Wolves

So that’s our history lesson for today, Wolves were promoted this season but unlike some others that have been promoted in recent years they had a good squad in place already and were well funded and adapted to the top flight well under manager Uncle Albert Nuno Espirito Santo.

A more than respectable 7th place finish is no fluke, they have had some notable results this year, they drew with Manchester City and took 4 points off Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United and had a very impressive win at Spurs over the Christmas period. The biggest let down was in the FA Cup, having defeated both Liverpool and Manchester United they seemed to have an FA cup final spot at their mercy against Watford when they lead 2-0 in the semi-final but a last minute penalty took the game to extra time and a 3-2 defeat denied them a chance to win their first trophy since the late great Emlyn Hughes captained them to a league cup in 1980.

The Wolves team tends to consist of Portugal’s European championship winning keeper Rui Patricio in goal, defenders Wily Boly, Jonny, Ryan Bennett and former Liverpool man Conor Coady, that has remained largely unchanged all season although Irish Defender Matt Doherty has appeared at the back he often is used on the right of midfield with great effect and has been one of Wolves best players this season.

In Midfield there is further Portuguese influence with Ruben Neves and Joao Moutinho having fine seasons alongside Helder Costa. There has been plenty of rotation here though with Romain Saiss, Leander Dendoncker, Adama Traore and Morgan Gibbs White all making appearances.

Upfront Diego Jota has been in fine form in the second half of the season alongside the solid Raul Jimenez, the latter was signed on loan initially but has impressed to the point where Wolves have already shelled out 30m to keep the Mexican on board next season.

Lucky?

This is by no means an easy fixture, Wolves haven’t had much to play for in recent weeks and although we will be a little tense one would expect a win, it is win or bust. This is one team though that won’t give up, I think at times we haven’t been at our swashbuckling best but by god we never gave up. The amount of times we got late into a game and I thought “if we don’t win then that’s it” only for a goal to crop up from nowhere.

Last Saturday against Newcastle was another example, this team works harder than anyone, lucky? Maybe at times yes, but there is nothing lucky about accumulating a staggering 94 points with one game left, that is just phenomenal. I can’t tell you how many times I thought city would slip up and they got a win. Lucky? Yes but they didn’t get 95 points through luck.

Let’s not put all this down to luck, there are two great teams in here that have gone hammer and tong and reached an unreal standard. Let’s give due appreciation to two brilliant teams that have made this a thrilling race. No one has bottled it (not yet anyway) each team has won a serious amount of games and played some great football. Neither side deserves to lose but one must, that’s the way it is.

Do I expect City to mess up at Brighton? No, at best I think maybe we might be teased for a while, a draw for a long time or maybe Brighton taking an early lead but the end result will be the same. There is nothing we can do about it, and even if City screw up it’s no good unless we do our job.

So don’t give up on this team, they haven’t given up on us, if we win on Sunday and it’s not good enough for title 19 it won’t be nice but this team never let us down, not one individual thus far can have the finger pointed at them and be told “it’s all your fault”.

Each staff member and player have been wonderful, lets show them what it meant to us on Sunday regardless of how the table ends up, there are only so many times I can put up with us being unlucky losers, one trophy in 13 years is annoying but this team and its manager can’t have done anymore, and I wouldn’t trade them for anything.

Don’t give up on them because they didn’t give up on us.

YNWA

« Last Edit: May 9, 2019, 08:58:14 am by Hellrazor »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Match Preview: Liverpool vs Wolves, Sunday 12th May 3pm
« Reply #1 on: May 8, 2019, 09:58:00 am »
After everything we've said about the european cup all year, this league game now feels like a free hit.

Impossible is nothing. Fucking win reds.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2 on: May 8, 2019, 10:18:40 am »
Nowt against Wolves, they're having a boss season, but facing us... now? After last night?

Let's tear em to shreds

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 8, 2019, 10:25:47 am »
All we can do is to go for victory and see where the chips fall at the end of it. What a journey this season has been, and it is not over yet...

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #4 on: May 8, 2019, 10:30:46 am »
Anfield will be rocking, the boys will get all the motivation they need. Lets twat these, end of. YNWA!!!

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 8, 2019, 10:46:23 am »
Just about getting the win this against the third ‘team of the season’. What a year they’ve had and it’s gonna be tough. Just get the win reds and hope for a minor miracle in Brighton.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2019, 10:50:41 am »
Allez, Allez, Allez….

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #7 on: May 8, 2019, 10:53:48 am »
I think Klopp will get the boys back to earth for this.

Real risk of us in the past of stumbling in a match like this. But this team - I dont think so!
We go again.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 8, 2019, 10:54:49 am »
Wolves have been impressive and they'll want to get something out of the match, but our players are full of confidence and Anfield is once more a fortress. Regardless of what happens in the City-Brighton match, we need to focus on ourselves and get the three points.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 8, 2019, 11:12:09 am »
Wolves have been fantastic this season.

I'm in no way ready for this game, thankfully I'm not playing.

We've asked the question of City again and again and again with our wins, and every time they've had an answer. Can we ask it one more time? Maybe we will get a different answer. It's all we can do.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #10 on: May 8, 2019, 11:18:36 am »
Just get the three points and hope that Brighton can do us a massive favour

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 8, 2019, 12:18:33 pm »
After everything we've said about the european cup all year, this league game now feels like a free hit.

Impossible is nothing. Fucking win reds.
Too right. There's nothing that can happen against Wolves short of an asteroid strike that will stop this from being a fucking incredible season. And there's still just a hint of a chance that it might just become the most epic party in history. Either way, people are going to be pulling sickies the next day, and rightfully so.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool vs Wolves, Sunday 12th May 3pm
« Reply #12 on: May 8, 2019, 12:22:44 pm »
Lets get the 3 points and see what happens.

Worst case scenario, we don't win the league - the players will do a lap of honour and get applauded like they have won the league. And how fucking deserved it will be.

If the unlikely happens twice in a week and we do somehow manage to win the league, I'm not quite sure how we will all react. It would eclipse any win in our history I think. Especially after last night.

Fuck it, if we can smash Barca 4-0 while missing key players, Brighton can sneak a draw at home to City.

Allez allez allez!

Offline [streety]

• Craig Davis killed the thread
  • Legacy Fan
    • Coming Soon...
« Reply #13 on: May 8, 2019, 01:21:40 pm »
Any recommendations of pubs to watch the game? City centre or outside the ground?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 8, 2019, 01:24:36 pm »
Free hit, whatever happens,happens.

:champ :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #15 on: May 8, 2019, 01:27:24 pm »
I believe.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: May 8, 2019, 01:28:20 pm »
I believe.

I believe....pass it on...

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: May 8, 2019, 01:30:03 pm »
Lets just get the win we need and see what happens. Mo should be back- any news on Firmino?

Anfield should be joyous on Sunday anyway- lets have a celebration of a season and team beyond all our expectations

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 8, 2019, 01:31:54 pm »
Lets just get the win we need and see what happens. Mo should be back- any news on Firmino?

Anfield should be joyous on Sunday anyway- lets have a celebration of a season and team beyond all our expectations

Firmino is unlikely to be back for Wolves but he should be fine for the final. If this team can beat Barcelona 4-0 without him and Salah, it can beat Wolves without him.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #19 on: May 8, 2019, 01:35:30 pm »
Lets hope the pure adrenaline of last night gets us through this Sunday too

We have the quality to back it up even if we'll be a little knackered from the amazing comeback.

3 points.
Let fate decide the rest

2-0
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: May 8, 2019, 01:36:39 pm »
Long time between last night and Sunday thankfully. Plenty of time for rest and recovery and a chance to enjoy last night and then focus on Wolves.

Fingers crossed we get a couple of players back, Wolves have played well against all the top sides this season but surely our desire will see us over the line here.

Can’t quite think about this game yet. One to mull over in more detail tomorrow I reckon. :D

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #21 on: May 8, 2019, 01:37:01 pm »
NEVER.

GIVE.

UP.

Nice one Hellrazor  :wave
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #22 on: May 8, 2019, 01:38:16 pm »
If last night hasn’t galvanised even those staunch doubters into thinking this is still possible, then I don’t know what will
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 8, 2019, 01:41:06 pm »
Win any way any how just win and end this mad season in the league on a high.

I am not sure who is fit, I am not sure if Robbo is going to be fit enough, maybe Hendo also gets benched considering his knock. I imagine Bobby won't be risked if he isn't a 100 percent, but having Mo back is huge.

Becker

Trent
Gomez
Van Dijk
Robertson/Milner

Fabinho
Wijnaldum
Milner

Salah
Mane
Shaqiri/Origi

Klopp mentioned that Ox will probably be ready for the weekend, it was just a precaution.

Wolves are difficult to play against, but we've gone through every test imaginable, and let's do it again.

Anfield will be infectious

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 8, 2019, 01:44:27 pm »
Win any way any how just win and end this mad season in the league on a high.

I am not sure who is fit, I am not sure if Robbo is going to be fit enough, maybe Hendo also gets benched considering his knock. I imagine Bobby won't be risked if he isn't a 100 percent, but having Mo back is huge.

Becker

Trent
Gomez
Van Dijk
Robertson/Milner

Fabinho
Wijnaldum
Milner

Salah
Mane
Shaqiri/Origi

Klopp mentioned that Ox will probably be ready for the weekend, it was just a precaution.

Wolves are difficult to play against, but we've gone through every test imaginable, and let's do it again.

Anfield will be infectious

Robertson needs a scan, but last night he said it might just be a nerve and a few days out - https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andy-robertson-injury-latest-news-16242745. He's a doubt for Sunday but definitely not ruled out.

Online Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 8, 2019, 01:44:48 pm »
Whatever happens, City will know they have to go and win it on Sunday after last night. Lets get our business done and hope the rest takes care of itself to spark the mother of all parties.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #26 on: May 8, 2019, 04:07:15 pm »
Thanks for the OP Hellrazor

Think after last night this will be a tough game. In some respects it’s a free hit but a lot of emotional energy was expanded last night, players ran through brick walls and took some knocks along the way.

I have no doubt they’ll put in 100% as they always do and they’ll find a way, any way to the final 3 points that their season deserves.

Whatever happens in the other game this has been the most amazing and enjoyable season in a very long time. Hoping for one last little bit of magic that brings us the title these boys are more than worthy of.

Come on Reds we still believe
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #27 on: May 8, 2019, 05:00:27 pm »
No one would want to face us right now. All we gotta do here is win and maintain momentum

10-0. Origi with a triple hat-trick and Salah with 1 to win the golden boot.

Don’t care what they say, City’s players will have watched last night and it will make them feel uneasy knowing we are right up there arses waiting for. A slip up. Hopefully Brighton turn up and put in a shift.

Stranger things have happened.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 8, 2019, 05:54:15 pm »
Don't let up lads, one final push, keep fighting!

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
« Reply #29 on: May 8, 2019, 05:57:33 pm »
Ok, I a gonna say it again here:

WE ARE GOING TO WIN THE LEAGUE THIS SAME SUNDAY.

done.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #30 on: May 8, 2019, 05:57:51 pm »
Nice OP!  Maybe we can quarry ourselves a win :)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #31 on: May 8, 2019, 06:17:21 pm »
Hahahaha completely forgot about this

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 8, 2019, 06:22:32 pm »
Let's win the next two games.

It'll mean at least one trophy. Maybe two. Either way, this team has all my respect.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 8, 2019, 06:29:40 pm »
Go out and win. Least we can do and there is no pressure on us. All the pressure is Oil FC.

Wont be easy but I'd imagine many wolves player will not want to risk injuries but they will be pretty relaxed.

2 - 0 with Salah and Mane doing the business

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #34 on: May 8, 2019, 08:34:21 pm »
Go out and win. Least we can do and there is no pressure on us. All the pressure is Oil FC.

Wont be easy but I'd imagine many wolves player will not want to risk injuries but they will be pretty relaxed.

2 - 0 with Salah and Mane doing the business

Why won't they want to risk injuries?

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #35 on: May 8, 2019, 08:37:11 pm »
If we start fast and manage to get a goal or two that will put massive pressure onto Man City away to Brighton. This for me will be crucial barring a miracle.

I think we'll beat Wolves without many issues, confidence will be sky-high after last night. Let's get the game to bed and see what happens...
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #36 on: May 8, 2019, 08:52:45 pm »
And so it comes down to the last day of the season. Who would have thunk that after City have the 3rd highest points in the EPL with one match left.

Whatever happens we have had a brilliant season.

Hope it gets even better come Sunday afternoon.
#JFT97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 8, 2019, 08:57:13 pm »
One last push!

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 8, 2019, 09:20:34 pm »
Let's do this
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #39 on: May 8, 2019, 09:55:47 pm »
Whatever happens with oil FC in Brighton, Anfield needs to be rocking ready to send them off to Madrid on a high
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005