Author Topic: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest  (Read 183547 times)

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
Re: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest
« Reply #1040 on: October 31, 2014, 01:45:59 pm »
I have a question (apologies if it's already been answered earlier in the thread):

I'm moving to a new house next January and looking at what broadband deals are out there (it seems like it's cheaper to get tv/phone/broadband bundles rather than just broadband, but that's another point). 

Looking at the virgin media options, I'd either go for the 'up to 50mb' or 'up to 100mb' option.  My question is, if I'll only be able to get an average of, say, 20mb (due to how far I am from an exchage etc.), would there be any point in going for the 100mb option or would it still be a max of 20mb?  I asked VM but they just said it's fibre optic so wouldn't depend on other factors like distance from exhange, which I don't think is quite true.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1041 on: October 31, 2014, 02:17:26 pm »
I have a question (apologies if it's already been answered earlier in the thread):

I'm moving to a new house next January and looking at what broadband deals are out there (it seems like it's cheaper to get tv/phone/broadband bundles rather than just broadband, but that's another point). 

Looking at the virgin media options, I'd either go for the 'up to 50mb' or 'up to 100mb' option.  My question is, if I'll only be able to get an average of, say, 20mb (due to how far I am from an exchage etc.), would there be any point in going for the 100mb option or would it still be a max of 20mb?  I asked VM but they just said it's fibre optic so wouldn't depend on other factors like distance from exhange, which I don't think is quite true.

If you are getting Virgin media then you will more than likely be getting Fibre to the Premises (FTTP). That means that you get the internet through fibre cable direct to your house from the cabinet.

The other kind of Fibre broadband which is what SKY, BT etc use is Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC). That means you get your internet through fibre cable only to the local cabinet and then they use standard copper wire to deliver your internet to your house (through your phone line)

Since Fibre uses light across glass there is little lag no matter what distance you are from your source so FTTP is better.

FTTC may be fast but relies on that old copper technology to transfer your internet. So over a long distance it starts losing its speed.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1042 on: October 31, 2014, 02:20:46 pm »
Just found out that my exchange wont be getting released for superfast broadband until Q1 next year.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #1043 on: October 31, 2014, 02:36:04 pm »
If you are getting Virgin media then you will more than likely be getting Fibre to the Premises (FTTP). That means that you get the internet through fibre cable direct to your house from the cabinet.

The other kind of Fibre broadband which is what SKY, BT etc use is Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC). That means you get your internet through fibre cable only to the local cabinet and then they use standard copper wire to deliver your internet to your house (through your phone line)

Since Fibre uses light across glass there is little lag no matter what distance you are from your source so FTTP is better.

FTTC may be fast but relies on that old copper technology to transfer your internet. So over a long distance it starts losing its speed.

Right....I think I understand thanks! But what I meant was - if someone is paying for 'up to 50mb' but only getting e.g. 28mb average speed, would it make a difference if he they upgraded to 'up to 100mb' or would they still get just 28mb average?

Sorry if I'm not making much sense!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1044 on: October 31, 2014, 03:38:04 pm »
I recently moved into a new place and got 120mb fiber optic broadband. The speed is clearly advertised as that on the website. But im only getting these speeds. That surely cant be correct for 120mb? Can anyone tell me?

The speed is great but if I'm not getting what I'm paying for, why would I pay it!

just seeing this now, if you're on 120mb with UPC you should be getting exactly that, is this speed coming from you connecting directly to your router with a cable?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #1045 on: October 31, 2014, 03:40:15 pm »

just seeing this now, if you're on 120mb with UPC you should be getting exactly that, is this speed coming from you connecting directly to your router with a cable?

No mate that's from my laptop about 2 metres away from the router. Not really happy with the speed considering I'm paying for 120. But I havnt contacted them about it yet...

Also they are charging me an extra 3-4€ a month because I'm not registered. Only found that out yesterday!
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: October 31, 2014, 03:41:36 pm »
You are using wifi. There's your answer.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1047 on: November 1, 2014, 08:22:18 am »
I have a question,

Me and the missus have recently moved in together and got sky unlimited broadband, now I think it's best to leave the router switched on 24/7 as it says on the router itself but she moans and turns it off at night because she the router is plugged into an extension lead along with the telephone. She think's its going to set on fire if we leave it on all the time which does my head in because I'm probably getting slow internet connection.

So is it true that its best to leave it on at all times?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1048 on: November 1, 2014, 10:37:47 am »
I have a question,

Me and the missus have recently moved in together and got sky unlimited broadband, now I think it's best to leave the router switched on 24/7 as it says on the router itself but she moans and turns it off at night because she the router is plugged into an extension lead along with the telephone. She think's its going to set on fire if we leave it on all the time which does my head in because I'm probably getting slow internet connection.

It's recommended that you leave it on overnight as your router (and sky set top box of you have one) will do updates and line tests overnight to make sure your on the right speed.

It won't set on fire. But at the same time it won't mess up your speeds too much

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1049 on: November 1, 2014, 11:08:48 am »
It's recommended that you leave it on overnight as your router (and sky set top box of you have one) will do updates and line tests overnight to make sure your on the right speed.

It won't set on fire. But at the same time it won't mess up your speeds too much

I thought so mate think she's just a bit paranoid over it for some reason or another, knew it was the best thing to leave it on all the time.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1050 on: November 1, 2014, 01:51:23 pm »
I have a question,

haha, she's mental
STFU and agree with me.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1051 on: November 1, 2014, 04:01:28 pm »
I've had mine on for about 2 years (save for 2 weeks when we went on holiday) now constantly with no issues.

Offline Zephyr

• Thinks of RAWK whilst pleasuring himself
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1052 on: November 8, 2014, 08:41:54 pm »
Last year, when living in halls I had a constant 50mb/s download speed, with about 12mb/s upload speed - it was a wet dream for me. This year, rather unfortunately, I have to put with an awful internet connection. Now I'm living with some friends with a 10m/s download and about 2mb/s upload. That doesn't sound too bad at first, but when I'm living with five others who constantly stream Netflix it turns to shite. Always next year...
Mint-Berry Crunch!

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #1053 on: November 8, 2014, 09:15:43 pm »
Going to browse through this thread now and have a look but I need some peoples opinions if I cant find anything. I need to get new broadband sorted, Liverpool City Centre. Ive been looking at BT Infinity 1 (38mb/s) but would prefer a rawkites review that lives in Lpool. Does it get close to the advertised limit or do you recommend other providers for the Liverpool area? Thanks :wave
Justice for the 97

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1054 on: November 18, 2014, 05:53:52 pm »
My Sky Broadband has been down now since Friday, something to do with BT's line outside which is not working. Absolute joke only been with them since September aswell. Might fuck them off if it carries on much longer.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1055 on: November 18, 2014, 06:09:11 pm »
My Sky Broadband has been down now since Friday, something to do with BT's line outside which is not working. Absolute joke only been with them since September aswell. Might fuck them off if it carries on much longer.

If it's BT then it won't make any difference moving to someone else.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1056 on: November 18, 2014, 06:36:29 pm »
If it's BT then it won't make any difference moving to someone else.

It's something to do with the box in my street or something, absolute joke.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1057 on: November 18, 2014, 06:40:11 pm »
It's something to do with the box in my street or something, absolute joke.

Who is your line rental with?

Have you called BT yourself to get it fixed?

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1058 on: November 18, 2014, 06:56:46 pm »
Who is your line rental with?

Have you called BT yourself to get it fixed?

Sky mate, no just Sky at the moment would BT even listen to me even though I'm not a customer of theirs?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1059 on: November 18, 2014, 06:58:55 pm »
Sky mate, no just Sky at the moment would BT even listen to me even though I'm not a customer of theirs?

Think you can report an issue with them no matter what.

Worth giving it a try anyway.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1060 on: November 18, 2014, 07:08:39 pm »
You need to keep moaning to SKY.

Ring them every day and make sure its on record. Then demand that they issue a refund for the time with service loss

Its not BT's responsibility until SKY talk to BT Openreach (the guys who maintain the physical network)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:13:18 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1061 on: November 18, 2014, 08:41:07 pm »
You need to keep moaning to SKY.

Ring them every day and make sure its on record. Then demand that they issue a refund for the time with service loss

Its not BT's responsibility until SKY talk to BT Openreach (the guys who maintain the physical network)

Just spoke to SKY, had me on hold for 25 minutes initially then spoke to some lad who was checking everything externally and he said the engineer from BT was out yesterday and fixed the problem, said he ran tests on my line and there was no problem with my connection in the house or anything, then said he will escalate it to BT open reach tomorrow and they will call me back tomorrow.

Can see this going on and on for some reason.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1062 on: November 19, 2014, 07:04:29 am »
Going to browse through this thread now and have a look but I need some peoples opinions if I cant find anything. I need to get new broadband sorted, Liverpool City Centre. Ive been looking at BT Infinity 1 (38mb/s) but would prefer a rawkites review that lives in Lpool. Does it get close to the advertised limit or do you recommend other providers for the Liverpool area? Thanks :wave
I'm 1.9 miles away from L1 with Virgin and get 60MB/s.

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #1063 on: November 19, 2014, 01:07:02 pm »

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3921428560

I'm with BT, that's my speedtest result. One of the main reasons i chose BT is because of the upload speed & the fact my package is truly unlimited both upload & download.
When i'm abroad i use slingplayer to access my slingbox to view UK tv and with my slingbox connected to BT i have no problem watching in HD.
Virgin throttle the upload speed on all their packages once you've uploaded a certain amount. I was sick of My picture turning to dogshit because of virgin throttling my uploads.

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1064 on: November 25, 2014, 04:58:02 am »
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1046796168

Getting this in Dusseldorf in the taxi on the way to the airport on 3G. Not bad at all
@johnbuckels

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1065 on: December 4, 2014, 05:46:50 pm »
Liverpool Uni really need to upgrade their network somehow.  Hard to watch some online lectures sometimes.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3959903566
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: December 4, 2014, 06:37:38 pm »
Im on Virgin and got 26.81 Mbps and upload 2.02 Mbps

I use Netflix, and kid uses PS4, I also download movies. Thinking if its worth paying £32+ when using ADSL I could knock it down to almost half.

How much would it affect me?

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1067 on: December 5, 2014, 12:20:13 pm »
I'm getting 25MB download on the work iPhone with 4G down the road, but only gprs at home. Hmmm
@johnbuckels

Offline WanderingRed

• Kopite
« Reply #1068 on: December 8, 2014, 08:53:49 pm »

this is what i've just got

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1069 on: December 8, 2014, 09:03:43 pm »
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1070 on: December 9, 2014, 11:48:10 am »
Is there any way of checking broadband speed in a remote location.

Can I take my router with me and plug it in, or does it not work like that /
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #1071 on: October 12, 2015, 03:18:20 pm »
House-sitting in MK - happy with this!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1072 on: October 13, 2015, 08:47:24 am »

upload lol.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #1073 on: October 13, 2015, 09:21:15 am »

Holy fuck! The ping on that! The BT server must have literally been right outside the house?

You would clean up on any FPS with a ping like that!

upload lol.
Who gives a flying fook about the upload numbers? That download is insane! Is that commercial or residential? :o

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #1074 on: October 13, 2015, 09:25:07 am »
I've only ever seen 1ms ping once before and that was on Reliance Industries Corporate Park in Mumbai. I think a BT engineer lives on this street. Hmmmm.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1075 on: October 13, 2015, 09:28:23 am »
I've only ever seen 1ms ping once before and that was on Reliance Industries Corporate Park in Mumbai. I think a BT engineer lives on this street. Hmmmm.
The CS:GO world champ? ::) ;D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1076 on: October 13, 2015, 10:41:25 am »
Who gives a flying fook about the upload numbers? That download is insane! Is that commercial or residential? :o

Residential. Virgin Media, they're pretty good like ;D

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1077 on: October 13, 2015, 10:49:40 am »
Residential. Virgin Media, they're pretty good like ;D
That's insane.....is it cable or fibre?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1078 on: October 13, 2015, 10:54:49 am »
Mines with BT, supposed to be up to 72 but only get about 55 which does me head in!

My contract comes to and end in a couple of months but i don't think I can get any better to be honest. I've checked all the comparison sites and cable looks to be a million years away! :'(

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1079 on: October 13, 2015, 12:06:35 pm »
Have you checked both on wifi and on ethernet cable? Sometimes the speed is limited by the computers hardware/network/wifi/interference/modem - do they still provide a modem and the router? It's mad, but on an ethernet cable, I can only get ~90mb/s on this connection, on 5G wifi I get the full 152. Mess with it ;D

I remember when I had BT Infinity installed years ago, Woolwich was one of the first areas to get it, and the engineer did a speed test and was getting 38mb/s, he said it'll probably settle down and the speed would drop (I assume because more people using it) it never did, though! BT Infinity is an excellent service and I'd more than likely go with them if they served this area, only choice for me is Virgin but at 152 and soon to be going up to 200, I can't exactly moan.