Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2018-19  (Read 239935 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2018-19
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2018, 02:14:04 pm »
APLT Analysis & Extrapolations : Matchday 1

Hi mate, thanks for the update. Have a question though. Why do both Southampton and Burnley have a -2? They both played each other and drew, didn't they? Likewise Wolves & Everton.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:16:43 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 02:28:03 pm »
Hi mate, thanks for the update. Have a question though. Why do both Southampton and Burnley have a -2? They both played each other and drew, didn't they? Likewise Wolves & Everton.
My pleasure.

Correct, a draw result for Southampton vs Burnley and likewise Wolves vs Everton.  All four teams earned one point for the draw and it was a Par 3 match for all four teams, hence each of them equate to an APLT of -2.
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2018, 02:35:22 pm »
My pleasure.

Correct, a draw result for Southampton vs Burnley and likewise Wolves vs Everton.  All four teams earned one point for the draw and it was a Par 3 match for all four teams, hence each of them equate to an APLT of -2.

Oh, it was par 3 for all. Got it, thanks mate.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2018, 12:06:41 pm »
Good to have this back!
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2018, 02:39:28 pm »
Not sure where else to put this, but here are 538's predictions, using their power index. I can't paste the table directly in here, unfortunately. It looks like they'll be updating after each round of games, so another interesting table to check on.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2018, 03:29:32 pm »
Not sure where else to put this, but here are 538's predictions, using their power index. I can't paste the table directly in here, unfortunately. It looks like they'll be updating after each round of games, so another interesting table to check on.

Everton with a 13% chance of being relegated  :)
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2018, 04:09:25 pm »

#5 team in the world, only issue is ManC is #1 which goes with most betting markets as well.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2018, 05:57:33 pm »
The question is, who will drop off the chart first, Arsenal or United?
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2018, 10:04:44 pm »
We’re above the 90 point line  8)
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2018, 10:05:05 pm »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2018, 10:12:00 pm »
Early on, but looking so very good so far!

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2018, 02:59:18 am »
We’re above the 90 point line  8)

Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2018, 08:28:57 am »
APLT Full Table : Matchweek 2
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2018, 08:29:40 am »
APLT Analysis & Extrapolations : Matchweek 2

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.

Offline IlSerpente

• Boys Pen
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2018, 07:11:42 pm »
What is seen as the most accurate formula for extrapolating final league position out of the three?

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2018, 11:26:13 pm »
What is seen as the most accurate formula for extrapolating final league position out of the three?

Liverpool 1st, City 2nd, Chelsea 3rd

;)

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2018, 07:54:31 am »

None of them, they're all equally bad at predicting final positions 2 games in.

Money spent usually proves to be about the most accurate longstanding measure of all.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2018, 08:34:55 am »
I think this is the hardest thing to do in football.  As it is so low scoring (in comparison to most major sports) variance plays a bigger role.  All I've ever said the APLT does is indicate on a simple level how well teams have done based on matches played so far.  It isn't a crystal ball so won't predict the future, but does say (in my opinion) who is 'winning' so far at any point.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2018, 04:53:50 pm »

The most accurate guide is usually the previous season's final table.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2018, 05:18:00 pm »
Money spent usually proves to be about the most accurate longstanding measure of all.
Clever exclusion of United there... ;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2018, 08:53:08 pm »
*taps foot impatiently awaiting the sekksi graffs*
@Yvanicuzz

Offline AthleticClub

• Main Stander
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2018, 09:27:37 pm »
I think this is the hardest thing to do in football.  As it is so low scoring (in comparison to most major sports) variance plays a bigger role.  All I've ever said the APLT does is indicate on a simple level how well teams have done based on matches played so far.  It isn't a crystal ball so won't predict the future, but does say (in my opinion) who is 'winning' so far at any point.

It's a solid and robust model. Ultimately the better approach would be to calibrate the Pars (and recalculate all scores) after every game. I suspect you could probably calculate it on the basis of the home/away for of each team after every round of fixture. That's impractical and would introduce some fairly erratic results early in the season. There is the odd except year on year however the approach is pretty sound and indicative when looking for things like top 4/relegation. I think you've stated previously Prof, you don't consider it a highly predictive measure for individual placings given in the final weeks of the season all manor of intangibles come in to play.

It absolutely works, and I can't wait for week 8 of the season when we can discount that show of b*stards Mourinho has assembled from getting anywhere near the top 4 this year.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2018, 04:53:26 pm »
It's a solid and robust model. Ultimately the better approach would be to calibrate the Pars (and recalculate all scores) after every game. I suspect you could probably calculate it on the basis of the home/away for of each team after every round of fixture. That's impractical and would introduce some fairly erratic results early in the season. There is the odd except year on year however the approach is pretty sound and indicative when looking for things like top 4/relegation. I think you've stated previously Prof, you don't consider it a highly predictive measure for individual placings given in the final weeks of the season all manor of intangibles come in to play.

It absolutely works, and I can't wait for week 8 of the season when we can discount that show of b*stards Mourinho has assembled from getting anywhere near the top 4 this year.

I think the full previous season's results will usually provide a more accurate model than what you suggest here. (eg, Watford are currently second.) It would be a pain to produce, and the results would be confusing and contradictory from week to week, with team's points totals yoyoing all over the place. You lose a lot of clarity, and eventually you end up more or less where you began. The par 3 teams tend not to change radically from one season to the next (though they fall in and out of the top half of the table several times over a season.)

Also, worth bearing in mind that the APLT is a model for winning the league, and it's usefulness for teams battling for top four, for example, will be significantly weaker.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2018, 11:15:53 pm »
I always read these sections of the thread (the same discussion on 'accuracy' arrives each year) with some amusement. Prof is very clear on what the APLT sets out to do. It makes for a good discussion, with some very insightful posters, making it a must-read thread compared to most of those on the main board.

If it were possible to produce a 'predictive' table with any semblance of accuracy, the PL could just publish that and not bother with the actual games.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2018, 11:06:05 am »
Yeah, I'm not sure people keep thinking the APLT is even meant to be predictive.

It is retrospective model- simply a way of re-ranking the games already played.

It's biggest weakness is the inconsistency of the mid-table teams from season to season nowadays, and occasionally sudden changes of form during the season with new manager bounce.

Offline BigJimFinn

• Main Stander
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2018, 11:22:13 am »
Yeah, I'm not sure people keep thinking the APLT is even meant to be predictive.

It is retrospective model- simply a way of re-ranking the games already played.

It's biggest weakness is the inconsistency of the mid-table teams from season to season nowadays, and occasionally sudden changes of form during the season with new manager bounce.
Right, the only bothersome thing in the model is the huge and unfounded difference between par-1 aways at the middle 7 and par-3 aways at the bottom 7. The easy fix would be to treat all these as par-2s. More seesaw in the graph, when you could not hit par and stay level, but would give a more consistent picture of the performance. It feels right to say that any away win in the Premier League is a positive result and for title candidates, any draw against the rest is disappointing.
Still, this is Prof's toy and it brings a lot of joy as it is, so thanks for keeping up the effort every season!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2018, 12:54:50 pm »
Prof might say different, but I always thought that there were only Par 3s and Par 1s because those are the only points you can get in a game (1 for a draw, 3 for a win). And that's why the model is based on a Par 1 and Par 3 scoring.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2018, 12:55:39 pm »
I always read these sections of the thread (the same discussion on 'accuracy' arrives each year) with some amusement. Prof is very clear on what the APLT sets out to do. It makes for a good discussion, with some very insightful posters, making it a must-read thread compared to most of those on the main board.

If it were possible to produce a 'predictive' table with any semblance of accuracy, the PL could just publish that and not bother with the actual games.

They do that with Everton anyway, don't they?

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2018, 12:57:22 pm »
Prof might say different, but I always thought that there were only Par 3s and Par 1s because those are the only points you can get in a game (1 for a draw, 3 for a win). And that's why the model is based on a Par 1 and Par 3 scoring.

Yes, I think you are right. Having a par score that is actually not possible would be weird.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2018, 12:58:19 pm »

Goals scored (and per game) will usually give a good predictor of final position, but you need to be deep into the season to get any accuracy. In a "three points for a win" system, one goal is worth, on average, one league point. The highest scoring team rarely finishes out of the top two

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2018, 01:13:18 pm »
Yes, I think you are right. Having a par score that is actually not possible would be weird.

Yes, actually last season when there relegation graphs also in play in this thread, we were discussing about experimenting with the methodology (I think JCB was compiling the graphs for relegation methodology) and there were par 2 games discussed initially. But, I gave a suggestion to do away with some of those for the very reason that the actual scoring system doesn't allow those scores.

But par 0 makes sense for relegation graphs though as there are plenty of games where teams just outside relegation are not expected to get even a single point.

For a title winning APLT (Prof's model), par 1 and par 3 make the best sense.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2018, 03:51:15 pm »
I've just caught up with the discussion above and yes I agree with you all, even where you disagree with each other  ;D

I've suggested the par 2s for the bottom 14 away from home as the lost likely way to to improve the model... But haven't committed to it for the reason that playing to par is a neat concept.

I might have a play when I have some time to look at previous seasons' final graphs with par 2s for these 14 fixtures.

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2018, 10:00:59 pm »
Profs bringin sekksi graphs (yeah)
Some posters don't know how to act (yeah)
They try to diss Profs maths (yeah)
APLT is the inside track (yeah)

**mic drop
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2018, 10:15:13 pm »

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2018, 10:15:52 pm »
Some posters don't know how to act (yeah)
They try to diss Profs maths (yeah)
APLT is the inside track (yeah)

**mic drop
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2018, 10:24:15 pm »
That grey line will be off the end before christmas ;D
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline mickl

• many mickls makes a muckl
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2018, 10:25:14 pm »
I see we're still top of the league (real table) - which is nice......
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:27:22 pm by mickl »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2018, 11:00:33 pm »
That grey line will be off the end before christmas ;D
Yeah, and like last year we would have to rescale to -3000 and I'd need a new pair of glasses to read the axis.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2018, 01:52:10 am »

How accurate is this? It has Man United at a <1% chance to win the league and a 1% chance to get relegated.  ;D