Author Topic: Fabio Aurelio  (Read 93726 times)

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Goodbye Aurelio
« Reply #560 on: May 4, 2014, 12:45:28 am »
Who does/did he play for most recently? 

Gremio.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #561 on: May 4, 2014, 03:36:59 am »
one of my fav Liverpool players ever. always came in (when not injured) and played his socks off, even did a job in midfield if required, a Lahm light if you will (cotton wool required). the best of luck to him in whatever he turns his attention to

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #562 on: May 4, 2014, 03:53:43 am »
Amazing player. One of my all time favorites in Liverpool. An exceptional technical talent. He also had a vision for the game I've rarely seen before or after.

All the best, Fab!
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Yerolo

• Kopite
« Reply #563 on: May 4, 2014, 04:31:55 am »
The guy was pure class, its just a shame he was made of glass.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #564 on: May 4, 2014, 05:44:20 am »
He should make a great coach. He had vision and could read a game as well as technical ability. I wonder if he could teach that freekick ability...

One of my favourite players, but legs made of glass.

Any excuse to watch this again: http://youtu.be/XvjuGze80WI
« Last Edit: May 4, 2014, 05:48:23 am by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #565 on: May 4, 2014, 05:52:37 am »
Top, top player. Shame about them injuries.

That goal when he outwitted Cech and the entire Chelsea defense in the CL was fucking beautiful, marvellous left foot .
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline MerseysideRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #566 on: May 4, 2014, 06:02:13 am »
We don't have lucky for Italian players.  :(
Look for a moment homeless eyes http://www.danslapeaudunsansabri.com/

"When Stewart Downing, the second most overpriced player in history and a player ridiculed for his lack of goalscoring ability, takes all of two minutes to find the net, you know you’ve got a few issues."- by The Duke . . . Wigan fan after our win with four goals

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: May 4, 2014, 07:24:29 am »
Top player. Was a joy to watch, (most of the time), but, as others, damn shame about them injuries.

Good luck to whatever you do Fabio - and thanks.

Eh?
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #568 on: May 4, 2014, 08:03:04 am »

Eh?

He's Brazilian, but carries an Italian passport.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #569 on: May 4, 2014, 08:32:26 am »
One of the great wasted talents. If he'd only stayed fit, I have no doubt he'd have been considered amongst the best full backs in world football. Outstanding technique and ability to read the game, but he was always a liability. Every time he went out on the field, there was a huge chance that you'd have to bring him off. It's a damn shame.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline TobyLFC

• or not Toby LFC, that is the question
  • Kopite
  • Golf is amazing!
« Reply #570 on: May 4, 2014, 09:44:24 am »
One of my favorite players best of luck in your career after football Fabio!

YNWA
it comes down to reality, and it's fine with me cause I've let it slide...

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #571 on: May 4, 2014, 09:47:26 am »
He was brilliant Aurelio.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #572 on: May 4, 2014, 09:57:54 am »
one of my fav Liverpool players ever. always came in (when not injured) and played his socks off, even did a job in midfield if required, a Lahm light if you will (cotton wool required). the best of luck to him in whatever he turns his attention to

The guy was pure class, its just a shame he was made of glass.

such a shame he never full filled his ability in the red shirt due to being injury prone , totally committed, classy footballer who would walk into any modern day team on merit

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: May 4, 2014, 10:43:18 am »

Hah! Didn't think about that. Ta mate.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Ada069

• Kopite
  • RAWK' forum lurker, Read daily, 2 lazy 2 post.
« Reply #574 on: May 4, 2014, 11:09:42 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJXWe-WeWfw#t=56

No, it isn't me. But only clip I can find.
I'm too lazy to get in an E-fight with some E-troll who is really mad a the world and just needs a hug. But not one from me.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #575 on: May 4, 2014, 11:36:57 am »
Best gif ever  ;D

Offline tossedandblown

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: May 5, 2014, 08:34:31 am »
thanks for the memories Fabio

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: May 5, 2014, 06:29:32 pm »
Well done Fabio.  Thanks so much for some happy memories

YNWA
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: May 5, 2014, 06:30:52 pm »
Such a classy player, pity he struggled with injuries so much
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #579 on: May 5, 2014, 06:34:56 pm »
Amazing player. One of my all time favorites in Liverpool. An exceptional technical talent. He also had a vision for the game I've rarely seen before or after.

All the best, Fab!
iirc that was the 2-0 goal in the 2nd leg when we had lost 3-1 at Anfield right? Shame we couldn't pull off the 5-3 win lol, got within 1 with 5 mins left! :)

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: May 5, 2014, 06:42:19 pm »
My favourite Liverpool fullback imagine a player with Aurelio's Benteke (please ban me mods, I am not worthy to post in this forum )  with the physical side in tact as well. He would have been World Class. His touches and passes were amazing for a fullback and belonged in Midfield.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #581 on: May 5, 2014, 06:52:56 pm »
Classy player, sweet left foot, excellent vision of the game and always had a good performance when he was on the pitch. If he only wasn't that injury prone...
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #582 on: May 5, 2014, 07:25:53 pm »
My favourite left-back of all time (yes). Didn't Gerrard once say that if he were to pick a 5-aside Aurelio would be in his team?

Absolutely class. Intelligent and skilled player. Football really is not fair: a talent like Fabio Aurelio having his career ruined by injuries whilst we watch some ogres marching on football pitches week in, week out trying to destroy play ups and keep football from being played.

Best of luck, Fabio. I'll play that goal against Chelsea to my friends in 'amazing goals' conversations till the end of time  :P
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline maqu006

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK's literary theorist
« Reply #583 on: May 5, 2014, 07:30:17 pm »
What a pity. We have a curse with fullbacks though: Rob Jones, Vegard Heggem, Marcus Babbel have all had their careers curtailed by injury. In the case of Jones, in particular, we're talking of a potential great one not really having had a career at all due to injuries.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #584 on: May 5, 2014, 07:41:47 pm »
I always say that he was made and that the gods decided- "No we made a mistake- he's going to be a freak. Let's quicckly fix that..."

Loved the lad. Honest, hard-working, humble. One of the bestest players I have had the pleasure to watch.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #585 on: May 5, 2014, 07:43:47 pm »
My favourite Liverpool fullback imagine a player with Aurelio's Benteke (please ban me mods, I am not worthy to post in this forum )  with the physical side in tact as well. He would have been World Class. His touches and passes were amazing for a fullback and belonged in Midfield.
Yep- such a silky, silky player with such a brilliant tactical mind and football intelligence. He's the type that goes on to be a good coach/manager. He was the standout fullback for me, looking back over all these years.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline AcesHigh

• Main Stander
  • Chora macaco imundo, nunca ganhou de ninguém!
« Reply #586 on: May 5, 2014, 08:10:20 pm »
Gremio.

one of the reasons Gremio is in financial difficulties right now. Paid salaries to Fabio Aurelio for 2 years.

I think Fabio Aurelio played at most 3 matches for Grêmio at all. And was bad in the 3.
Even on foot we will go, whatever happens, but the certain is that we will be, with Grêmio, wherever Grêmio is.

Offline AcesHigh

• Main Stander
  • Chora macaco imundo, nunca ganhou de ninguém!
« Reply #587 on: May 5, 2014, 08:12:07 pm »

who doesn´t? :)

I am also brazilian, but can get an italian passport anytime because my great-grandfather was born there.

my wife has a german passport and she can´t even speak german.

fact is. Fabio Aurelio was born in Brazil, played in Europe and returned to Brazil. He probably can hardly speak any italian at all, and only got the passport because it would make it easier to play in Europe.

gee, people do not consider americans who are italian or german descendants to be "italians" or "germans". They are americans. Same thing with brazilians.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2014, 08:55:21 pm by AcesHigh »
Even on foot we will go, whatever happens, but the certain is that we will be, with Grêmio, wherever Grêmio is.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: April 8, 2015, 02:59:35 am »
Found myself wallowing in the memories of Fabio Aurelio playing for us today. Maybe someone can move the thread to the former players section?

Found an interview with him from October. Not much said really. He gives his opinion on the Brazilian national team and the current pool of fullbacks - severely lacking in talent, he says.

He returned to his hometown and spends most of his time overseeing the construction of his new house. He says he was not given a fair chance at Grêmio as he spent months not allowed to train with the team or even kick a ball in training as the coach who'd signed him left before too long. Obviously the fact he got injured in his first week there did not help...

Also I had not seen this: http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/28/ex-liverpool-defender-fabio-aurelio-begs-to-play-in-all-star-charity-match-on-instagram-5125049/ Top lad  ;D

His instagram https://instagram.com/f.aurelio/

(I still cannot get over that Chelsea free kick. It is one of the coolest, wittiest, most creative things I have seen on a football pitch.)
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: April 8, 2015, 03:16:32 am »
Ok, I have continued to stalk him and translated the bit from an April 2014 interview (when he announced his retirement) about Liverpool:

'The Liverpool fans are different from everything else. They support the team at all times. It's incredible! In good or bad times they are encouraging the players. I remember a 3-0 defeat to United when, at the end of the game, everyone was applauding us and shouting our names. This what makes them unique. I heard the YNWA song for the first time when I played for Valencia and I felt intimidated by it - when finally playing for Liverpool, I felt its positive energy.'

'Rafael Benitez was the manager who left his mark. We lived great moments both at Valencia and Liverpool. As for players, Aimar was the main man at Valencia - a leader and an example, just like Steven Gerrard at Liverpool. They are both great athletes, who are the first to arrive in training and the last ones to leave. Gerrard is a special and consistent player. I find it curious he was never amongst the best players in the world - after all, he deserved it. Other players I would highlight are Torres and Suárez. I spent little time with the Uruguayan but could see how good and dedicated he is.'

He goes on to say that he does not feel as if he can complain about his career - he feels lucky he played for São Paulo (his boyhood club), Valencia and Liverpool, and, in spite of all the injuries, thinks he's had more ups than downs.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2015, 03:18:03 am by Johnny B. Goode »

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: April 8, 2015, 03:51:10 am »
I didn't realise he was a former Rafa player before he joined us. Interesting

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #591 on: April 8, 2015, 04:31:19 am »

Some great freekicks at Valencia too.
http://youtu.be/00mvZ8HvtUg
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Messiah

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #592 on: April 8, 2015, 06:15:35 am »

Interestingly, he was Valencia's top scorer in La Liga in 2002-03 as a fullback under Rafa ;D
Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: April 8, 2015, 06:31:56 am »
Awesome player, really loved him in our side when he was fit. Silk and Steel - god we could do with him right now :(

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: April 8, 2015, 08:17:48 am »
Interestingly, he was Valencia's top scorer in La Liga in 2002-03 as a fullback under Rafa ;D

I must have known all this at the time we signed him, but had forgotten.

One of my fav Rafa era players, along with Xabi, Agger, Kuyt, and Lucas :scarf

(can I also credit Coutinho to him as well given his influence on him at Inter ;) )

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: April 8, 2015, 08:33:02 am »
Class made of thin glass.
That freekick against Chelsea still brings a smile every time I think about it. Also one time him and Agger started together and actually played football during the deepest Hodgson darkness was the first spark of hope in a long time.

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #596 on: April 8, 2015, 08:37:45 am »
Remember when he played CM away at Pompey and bossed it? It was a Saturday evening and I think we won 3-2, also seem to recall him scoring from an in direct FK in the box?

What a player.
@JonnYNWA

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: April 8, 2015, 08:56:55 am »
A very good player, think he played around 35 games in 08/09, no coincidence that we were so good that season.
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #598 on: April 8, 2015, 08:59:29 am »

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: April 8, 2015, 09:34:33 am »
Always find it amazing that some people think Riise was a better player than him. Not even a contest in terms of talent. Shame about the injuries, he was a cracking left back.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob