Author Topic: Skybet Championship Thread 2018/19  (Read 85870 times)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Re: Skybet Championship Thread 2018/19
« Reply #440 on: January 16, 2019, 07:42:35 pm »
51 games [90 minutes] X 4 HOURS = I am not sure that's true.

Divided by number of staff, though.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: January 16, 2019, 07:44:29 pm »
Divided by number of staff, though.

Good point but still that's a lot for just analysis on one single team with how much time in between the previous game and when they played Derby?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: January 16, 2019, 07:51:59 pm »
Good point but still that's a lot for just analysis on one single team with how much time in between the previous game and when they played Derby?

I would imagine it was being done for every team from the first day of his arrival. At that level, it's a 10-hour day at least. The scouts are there to just analyse games, so that's all they are really doing all day - watching games and compiling reports. 10 hours per day, 5-6 days per week, for what, 20-30 weeks? That's enough time to get the basic work done, and then add the games as they go by week to week, I think

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #443 on: January 16, 2019, 08:11:06 pm »
Don’t you just love an overseas coach coming over here and doing one on holier than thou sanctimonious ‘spirit of St George’ ‘morally upstanding’ pundits like Pearce, Henry Winters, Jenas etc?

What a gift to English football he is. More of this, and less of your Brexiteering c*nts like Allardyce and Wanker.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #444 on: January 16, 2019, 08:11:18 pm »
Ian McCourt
@ianmccourt

We've just been told that Marcelo Bielsa is ‘set to resign’ as @LUFC manager

Leeds United
@LUFC

Replying to @ianmccourt

https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1085601746267844608

To be fair, that's a baller tweet.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #445 on: January 16, 2019, 08:15:25 pm »
That’s fucking brilliant
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: January 16, 2019, 08:30:27 pm »
Probably the best one upmanship I’ve seen from a manager towards the media and pundits. Essentially telling them ‘I’m smarter than all you lot put together’.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: January 16, 2019, 08:33:39 pm »
Probably the best one upmanship I’ve seen from a manager towards the media and pundits. Essentially telling them ‘I’m smarter than all you lot put together’.

He's probably the smartest coach in the game, if not the smartest, easily top 3. He's got coaches using many of his methods all over the place. He just chooses really difficult jobs and is ludicrously intense. His ideas on football are pretty much without parallel in the modern day game though.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: January 16, 2019, 08:37:10 pm »
He's probably the smartest coach in the game, if not the smartest, easily top 3. He's got coaches using many of his methods all over the place. He just chooses really difficult jobs and is ludicrously intense. His ideas on football are pretty much without parallel in the modern day game though.

Definitely up there with Pep, and of course, Alan Pardew

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: January 16, 2019, 08:38:25 pm »
It reminded me of this  ;D

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #450 on: January 16, 2019, 08:44:09 pm »
Definitely up there with Pep, and of course, Alan Pardew

any opinions on Bielsa's press conference, PoP? I'd love to read your thoughts on it :)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: January 16, 2019, 08:54:22 pm »
I would imagine it was being done for every team from the first day of his arrival. At that level, it's a 10-hour day at least. The scouts are there to just analyse games, so that's all they are really doing all day - watching games and compiling reports. 10 hours per day, 5-6 days per week, for what, 20-30 weeks? That's enough time to get the basic work done, and then add the games as they go by week to week, I think

That would make more sense than in between matches.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: January 16, 2019, 08:56:49 pm »
That would make more sense than in between matches.

Bielsa's just crazy enough to make them do that work within a week though :D

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: January 16, 2019, 09:00:10 pm »
any opinions on Bielsa's press conference, PoP? I'd love to read your thoughts on it :)

Great stuff. There's nothing new under the coaching sun. Unless you're Frank Lampard, apparently ;D

I used to do scouting reports for some Scandinavian women's pro teams. Unpaid, though. But even with their low resources, there is a lot of this going on. I'm shocked but not shocked that the English media made a big deal of it.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: January 16, 2019, 10:45:41 pm »
I love Bielsa, if he got to manage us for a season one day I think it'd be insanely fun. Love that his argument is we've spied on Derby, yes, because I want every piece of information I can get because I'm clearly stupid. But anyway, here's a full run down for free on everything I know about Derby. Sorry, Frank.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: January 16, 2019, 10:52:02 pm »

Yet he's also always the reason for his own downfall.  He's a masochist in that he readily acknowledges that he asks his players to do things he knows aren't humanly possible to do and that eventually it will fall apart.  Yet he keeps doing it.  Granted I have barely watched Leeds this year so maybe he's changed.  If not then come the Spring I'd bet that Leeds is in a tailspin as every player is dead on their feet during their games.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: January 16, 2019, 11:08:35 pm »
Enjoyable FA Cup tie on BBC 1 tonight. Derby knocked out Saints on penalties after a 2-2 draw. Harry "Coutinho" Wilson scored yet another free kick. ;D

Derby could be dark horses to go quite far in the competition. Lampard's doing well.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: January 16, 2019, 11:48:12 pm »
Definitely up there with PoP, and of course, Alan Pardew
Arrogant sod

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: January 16, 2019, 11:54:18 pm »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: January 16, 2019, 11:56:52 pm »
Enjoyable FA Cup tie on BBC 1 tonight. Derby knocked out Saints on penalties after a 2-2 draw. Harry "Coutinho" Wilson scored yet another free kick. ;D

Derby could be dark horses to go quite far in the competition. Lampard's doing well.

In the cups.

In the league, they are worse off than at the same point last season.

Last season after 27 games: 2nd place, 52 points, 44 goals scored, 23 conceded

This season after 27 games: 6th place, 43 points, 38 goals scored, 34 goals conceded

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: January 17, 2019, 12:01:05 am »
Great stuff. There's nothing new under the coaching sun. Unless you're Frank Lampard, apparently ;D

I used to do scouting reports for some Scandinavian women's pro teams. Unpaid, though. But even with their low resources, there is a lot of this going on. I'm shocked but not shocked that the English media made a big deal of it.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: January 17, 2019, 12:01:53 am »

It was EXACTLY like that! Only colder.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: January 17, 2019, 12:08:09 am »
In the cups.

In the league, they are worse off than at the same point last season.

Last season after 27 games: 2nd place, 52 points, 44 goals scored, 23 conceded

This season after 27 games: 6th place, 43 points, 38 goals scored, 34 goals conceded
True, but the playing style has changed, which always affects a new manager's first season. They are much more aggressive this season. There's no way the Derby of last season would have played the aggressive game they did against Southampton tonight (or at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge). I think the change is very positive.

Ultimately, time will tell, but they finished 6th last season and I don't see why they can't repeat that this season, whilst going on decent cup runs. I'm impressed with the job Lampard has done so far, having initially thought he'd sink like a stone.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: January 17, 2019, 12:57:33 am »
It was EXACTLY like that! Only colder.

;D

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: January 17, 2019, 01:52:38 am »
True, but the playing style has changed, which always affects a new manager's first season. They are much more aggressive this season. There's no way the Derby of last season would have played the aggressive game they did against Southampton tonight (or at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge). I think the change is very positive.

Ultimately, time will tell, but they finished 6th last season and I don't see why they can't repeat that this season, whilst going on decent cup runs. I'm impressed with the job Lampard has done so far, having initially thought he'd sink like a stone.

Leeds' playing style also changed, and they are top of the league ;D

He's done okay, don't get me wrong. But there is no reason why he couldn't have matched Bielsa's effect on Leeds with the same situation of play-style change. I mean, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer did the same thing at United and they've gone on a winning run of 6 games without losing or drawing.

I just don't see what he's done that is "impressive".

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #465 on: January 17, 2019, 01:56:31 am »

He's done okay, don't get me wrong. But there is no reason why he couldn't have matched Bielsa's effect on Leeds with the same situation of play-style change. I mean, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer did the same thing at United and they've gone on a winning run of 6 games without losing or drawing.

I don't think he's as much of a wanker as I used to so I suppose that's somewhat impressive.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: January 17, 2019, 02:20:10 am »

Yeah, but that's one example. Klopp changed Liverpool's style of play and we finished 8th, lower than Rodgers had ever finished. Rodgers himself changed the style and we were like 10th at Christmas in his first season. Even Rafa's first season in the league was worse than Houllier's last.

I'm sure there are many other examples at other clubs too. Sure, you get managers like Bielsa and Conte who come to a club and win the title / promotion straight away, but it's also very common for managers to come in and suffer a little bit in their first season if they make big changes; it's not a black mark on Lampard that he's following that trend.

I think he's done a good job so far, but looks like we will have to agree to disagree.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: January 17, 2019, 03:01:48 am »
Yeah, but that's one example. Klopp changed Liverpool's style of play and we finished 8th, lower than Rodgers had ever finished. Rodgers himself changed the style and we were like 10th at Christmas in his first season. Even Rafa's first season in the league was worse than Houllier's last.

I'm sure there are many other examples at other clubs too. Sure, you get managers like Bielsa and Conte who come to a club and win the title / promotion straight away, but it's also very common for managers to come in and suffer a little bit in their first season if they make big changes; it's not a black mark on Lampard that he's following that trend.

I think he's done a good job so far, but looks like we will have to agree to disagree.

For sure. He's doing what would be expected of him at Derby, which is keep them in the playoff positions, and as I said in the thread about him, I'm quite impressed he took a job like Derby. I just don't see how having them in a worse position at the same point as last season is impressive, and that's not a slight on him. But for sure, it's just a difference of opinion :)

He can wake up every morning grateful that he's not Colin Wanker ;D

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: January 17, 2019, 09:29:08 am »
But there is no reason why he couldn't have matched Bielsa's effect on Leeds with the same situation of play-style change.

I doubt Bielsa would have had the same effect on Leeds if this was his first season in management.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: January 17, 2019, 01:54:29 pm »
He's absolutely fucking brilliant. Hopefully see him in the Premier League next season.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: January 17, 2019, 02:35:00 pm »
I doubt Bielsa would have had the same effect on Leeds if this was his first season in management.

I don't know - he did win the Apertura in his first season in a manager's job, and the title decider after it ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: January 17, 2019, 05:01:04 pm »
It was a fantastic story to begin with but what has followed has been pure gold. Already a contender for the best story this year and we are only in January.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: January 17, 2019, 05:50:46 pm »
Derby County want to sign Ashley Cole, according to sources at Elland Road.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: January 17, 2019, 06:20:41 pm »
Didn't even know he was still playing  :o

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: January 17, 2019, 10:00:06 pm »
What does everyone think of Martin O’Neill being confirmed as the new Notts Forest manager, with Roy Keane likely to follow?

I think it’s a strong appointment bringing in a proven manager with the club in his heart. They’re on an upturn, fighting for a pay off spot, and I can see Forest back in the prem either this or next year.

Would be fascinating to eventually see Roy Keane transition into the number 1 spot in a few years. One to watch
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: January 17, 2019, 10:01:24 pm »
What does everyone think of Martin O’Neill being confirmed as the new Notts Forest manager, with Roy Keane likely to follow?

I think it’s a strong appointment bringing in a proven manager with the club in his heart. They’re looking to be on an upturn and I can see Forest back in the prem either this or next year.

Absolutely dogshit decision. He's a dinosaur.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: January 17, 2019, 10:04:43 pm »

I think it’s a strong appointment bringing in a proven manager with the club in his heart. They’re on an upturn, fighting for a pay off spot, and I can see Forest back in the prem either this or next year.

Would be fascinating to eventually see Roy Keane transition into the number 1 spot in a few years. One to watch
two men get nice payoffs around this time next year

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #477 on: January 17, 2019, 10:18:38 pm »
He’s a dick and suited perfectly to Forest.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #478 on: January 17, 2019, 10:37:37 pm »
Thought I'd put this comment on Harry Wilson from Derby Forum.

"We are so much better with harry wilson. He is the key for me. Take him away and we are only half the side."

That says a lot to me.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: January 18, 2019, 12:19:22 am »

People laughed at Cardiff for hiring Warnock but he knows what's needed to get promoted from the Championship and make a fist of Premier League survival, and they're being vindicated now. That is Forest's aim too, and so they could've done worse with this appointment. He wouldn't have been my choice but I think he's got a chance of doing a decent job there. Don't think they'll be promoted this season though.

Roy Keane is always great for a laugh, and he said he wanted ultimately to get back into management, so his next step should be interesting.  ;D