Author Topic: Liverpool's defence - Giraffes, Walls and Automobiles  (Read 168833 times)

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The rejuvenated defence thread
« Reply #160 on: December 4, 2016, 03:35:54 pm »
Selling in Sakho in January makes little sense. It really does.

Cutting our nose to spite our face there - players have done much worst (including our very own Suarez) but if you need them you make allowances.

We need players who are consistent, not players who struggle for fitness and have one outstanding game amongst 3 or 4 mediocre ones.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #161 on: December 4, 2016, 03:36:05 pm »

Not really.

He's fucking average as well.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: December 4, 2016, 03:38:30 pm »

Cutting our nose to spite our face there - players have done much worst (including our very own Suarez) but if you need them you make allowances.

What's the point in playing a player who the manager doesn't rate or trust anymore.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: December 4, 2016, 03:40:19 pm »

He won't be sold because of his ability. He'll be sold because of his off the pitch issues. If Klopp thinks there's been too many then there's been too many. Barring a big crisis at CB, he won't be playing for us again.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Klopp-A-Delphia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Numquam Solum Ambulabis
« Reply #164 on: December 4, 2016, 03:44:45 pm »

Isn't it important that it was a different manager during all the Suarez nonsense? We don't know what Klopp would have done if he had Suarez as a player.

The team comes before any player, even if he's a world beater. Even if we desperate need him. If he doesn't have the right attitude it's like a virus to the rest of the team. It just wouldn't be worth it.
Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/connorpatrick   or @ConnorPatrick

The magic is in the melody.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 4, 2016, 03:45:35 pm »
Well, there is a crisis at CB. Matip is like the nanny who is holding these bunch of toddlers together. He goes missing, they run amok.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #166 on: December 4, 2016, 03:48:28 pm »
We had two midfielders playing in the back four.

Strange decision not to play Klavan today.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 4, 2016, 03:49:31 pm »
Well, there is a crisis at CB. Matip is like the nanny who is holding these bunch of toddlers together. He goes missing, they run amok.
FWIW, I don't like any of our CBs bar Matip but it'll take more than this for Klopp to bring Sakho back into the fold.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 4, 2016, 03:52:46 pm »

Yep. Can't rely on one defender to do that. We score goals no problem. 
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: December 4, 2016, 04:04:41 pm »
Need to invest into another CB in the winter. Lucus should never be CB again, Lovern is a hidden bomb, Klavan is probably not ready yet. As for the keeper...Why on earth we never managed to find a world-class keeper? Even Reina was nowhere near WC. The current keepers (bar Bravo) from other top six teams are miles better than us!
Believer

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: December 4, 2016, 04:06:25 pm »
Need to invest into another CB in the winter. Lucus should never be CB again, Lovern is a hidden bomb, Klavan is probably not ready yet. As for the keeper...Why on earth we never managed to find a world-class keeper? Even Reina was nowhere near WC. The current keepers (bar Bravo) from other top six teams are miles better than us!

Reina was world class for at least 75% of the time he was here. He got worse as soon as the gk coach left
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #171 on: December 4, 2016, 04:06:28 pm »
The defence was fine until Lucas was introduced to it.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #172 on: December 4, 2016, 04:07:22 pm »

Reina in his pomp was one of the top 5 keepers in the world.
Believe

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: December 4, 2016, 04:08:07 pm »
Just for general purposes - what is it that Sakho was meant to have done that has been disclosed?

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #174 on: December 4, 2016, 04:09:15 pm »
Correlation does not equal causation.

You put Lucas alongside Matip and he'll be a rock as well.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #175 on: December 4, 2016, 04:10:04 pm »
Correlation does not equal causation.

You put Lucas alongside Matip and he'll be a rock as well.

Nah.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: December 4, 2016, 04:11:51 pm »
What on earth was Milner doing for that pen though. It's basic defending. Don't dive in on a 50/50 in the box. Type of shite Moreno does.

He's put in that position by Lovren though, it should of never came about. Your right he shouldn't of made the challenge but it would of never happened if Lovren puts the ball out instead of trying to keep it alive.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: December 4, 2016, 04:13:46 pm »
Reina in his pomp was one of the top 5 keepers in the world.
Agree that Reina was probably the best keeper we signed during the Premier league era. Still doubt he would make it into top 5 though.
Believer

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: December 4, 2016, 04:26:32 pm »
He's put in that position by Lovren though, it should of never came about. Your right he shouldn't of made the challenge but it would of never happened if Lovren puts the ball out instead of trying to keep it alive.

Because Lovren fucks up does not then give Milner the ok to fuck up as well.
Believe

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #179 on: December 4, 2016, 04:28:41 pm »
What was the point in wasting the £3M on Klavan if he cant get in ahead of Lucas who by the way was abject today.

Online hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #180 on: December 4, 2016, 04:31:41 pm »
Have soton got any good defenders we could buy? *walks off whistling*

Offline U13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: December 4, 2016, 04:34:28 pm »

Wow, didn't see this post coming at all.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #182 on: December 4, 2016, 04:36:44 pm »
What was the point in wasting the £3M on Klavan if he cant get in ahead of Lucas who by the way was abject today.
I watched the first half - not the second, admittedly, but he was excellent in the first half. Didn't put a foot wrong and was quality in possession, set up a lot of attacks. So I have a distinct feeling that this is probably agenda driven, overly emotional guff - but I could be wrong.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #183 on: December 4, 2016, 04:39:20 pm »
I watched the first half - not the second, admittedly, but he was excellent in the first half. Didn't put a foot wrong and was quality in possession, set up a lot of attacks. So I have a distinct feeling that this is probably agenda driven, overly emotional guff - but I could be wrong.

Lucas looks good in defence when we're on top and he can step out, win the ball early and keep it simple.  When we're under pressure he struggles because he's just not a centre half.  He wasn't the reason for us losing today but his performance contributed.  Not really his fault though, he's a midfielder playing out of position and keeping our new centre half signing on the bench for some reason.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #184 on: December 4, 2016, 04:40:43 pm »

As you have not seen the second half yeah you are wrong.

In fact not sure which first half you saw as there was a few wayward passes from Lucas.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #185 on: December 4, 2016, 04:43:23 pm »
#LFC 2016/17 With Matip - 11 games, conceded 9 goals - DWWWWDWWWDW Without Matip - 3 games, conceded 9 goals - WLL

https://twitter.com/peterjharvey/status/805434357544550400

Not many stats more telling than that.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #186 on: December 4, 2016, 04:46:23 pm »
If Klopp rates Lucas higher than Klavan which is what recent events suggested then in combination with selling Sakho in January we'll simply have to address this situation. Lucas at CB experiment really should be over today as the stakes are too high now to keep risking. January is a very difficult market but in the case of some very good CB being available somehow we really should go for it.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: December 4, 2016, 04:50:00 pm »
Lucas was at fault for the goals we conceded today?

Nah the lad playing centre back had nothing to do with conceding 4 goals at all. Nothing whatsoever. Pure coincidence than when he replaces Matip we concede 4 goals.
Believe

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: December 4, 2016, 04:53:57 pm »
Lucas looks good in defence when we're on top and he can step out, win the ball early and keep it simple.  When we're under pressure he struggles because he's just not a centre half.  He wasn't the reason for us losing today but his performance contributed.  Not really his fault though, he's a midfielder playing out of position and keeping our new centre half signing on the bench for some reason.
That seems fair.
He's spot on though  :wave
And that's bollocks. The reason so many mangers have kept him on - and he's performed well for all of them, if not always at the highest levels - is because he personifies professionalism. We're lucky to have him because he does a fuck of a lot more than just what we see for 90 minutes on the pitch, and if/when he does eventually leave, you'll find there's a lot of glowing tributes to him because of that, and his presence will be missed.

Plus there's the fact that he's just such a sound human being. If you don't have a soft spot for Lucas, it's kind of strongly suggestive of being a c*nt. Sorry.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: December 4, 2016, 04:56:29 pm »
That seems fair.And that's bollocks. The reason so many mangers have kept him on - and he's performed well for all of them, if not always at the highest levels - is because he personifies professionalism. We're lucky to have him because he does a fuck of a lot more than just what we see for 90 minutes on the pitch, and if/when he does eventually leave, you'll find there's a lot of glowing tributes to him because of that, and his presence will be missed.

Plus there's the fact that he's just such a sound human being. If you don't have a soft spot for Lucas, it's kind of strongly suggestive of being a c*nt. Sorry.

Great. He's really professional. He isn't very good at football anymore though. And fucking LOL at calling someone a c*nt because they don't love a player. Get a grip soft lad.
Believe

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: December 4, 2016, 05:10:14 pm »
Lucas is a lovely lad and a great professional and as a person appears a top, top guy. He's been dining out on 6 months of good form for going on 5 years now though. He shouldn't be starting matches for us anymore, and he absolutely shouldn't be our third choice CB.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: December 4, 2016, 05:20:18 pm »
https://twitter.com/AIUnderPressure/status/805457259086180353

When we play the following in defense we concede :

0.7 goals when Matip plays
1.21 goals when Clyne plays
1.38 goals when Lovren plays
1.92 goals when Klavan plays
2 goals when Lucas plays

Say's it all really

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: December 4, 2016, 05:21:50 pm »
Great. He's really professional. He isn't very good at football anymore though. And fucking LOL at calling someone a c*nt because they don't love a player. Get a grip soft lad.
I said 'soft spot', and I didn't call anyone anything. If being a c*nt is a disease, not having a soft spot for Lucas is definitely a symptom, though. Not proof in an of itself, of course. Other symptoms would include, for example, driving a Range Rover Sport, or owning a Jeremy Clarkson book, or voting Tory. None are, in isolation, enough to make the call, but taken together...

Offline U13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: December 4, 2016, 05:27:01 pm »
Nah the lad playing centre back had nothing to do with conceding 4 goals at all. Nothing whatsoever. Pure coincidence than when he replaces Matip we concede 4 goals.

Of course he has something to do with it but i'm not having that he's the one to be singled out for what happened today.

The penalty conceded comes from a foul by Milner who's trying to recover from a poor headed clearance by Lovren.

The second goal comes from a forward running in behind Lovren.

the third goal is a class finish in all fairness although Origi is culpable for dallying on the ball on the edge of the box.

The fourth comes after Karius spills a shot which the midfield have to be held responsible for to some extent because there's no pressure on the ball.

The logic of some posters on here after all that - "It's because of Lucas".

Absolute bollocks.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #195 on: December 4, 2016, 06:20:17 pm »
When we play the following in defense we concede :

0.7 goals when Matip plays
1.21 goals when Clyne plays
1.38 goals when Lovren plays
1.92 goals when Klavan plays
2 goals when Lucas plays

Say's it all really

Does it ?

He hast started and played 90 in.

4-1 v Leicester
3-0 v Derby
2-1 v Spurs
6-1 v Watford
2-0 v Leeds
3-4 v Bournemouth

Clearly the last 15 minutes against Bournemouth skews things but for me that is as much about the loss of Matip as it is about Lucas playing.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #196 on: December 4, 2016, 06:23:54 pm »
What's the point in buying a 31 year old CB if you're going to play a CM ahead of him when your first choice CB is injured?
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline tyrolean_red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: December 4, 2016, 06:29:50 pm »
We'll need to get into the market for another centerback, its simple as that. Lovren can be a very good defender, he just needs somebody beside him to carry him. I think he can be a very good third option, but we need to find another player who can sort out the defence without Matip. Horrible showing today, Karius giving us the rest (altough i think he will become very good, just not used to it as of yet).
Thank you Stevie! It was a pleasure.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #198 on: December 4, 2016, 06:35:01 pm »
What's the point in buying a 31 year old CB if you're going to play a CM ahead of him when your first choice CB is injured?

We have two stoppers in Lovren and Klavan and two ball players in Matip and Lucas. Klopp summed it up perfectly we stopped playing football. If we continue playing then we simply don't need two stoppers. We dominate possession, we run them into the ground and we come out comfortable winners.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: December 4, 2016, 06:43:22 pm »
I'll be honest, I hope we just sign someone who's as good as Matip.
Believe