Author Topic: Team Analysis: Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool Tactics (*)  (Read 926138 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Team Analysis: Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool Tactics
« Reply #1600 on: May 20, 2017, 06:00:49 pm »
Kloppo's first summer signing in the bag.  :P

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-news-transfer-rumours-live-13062315

Voetbal International over in the Netherlands claim Fortuna Sittard youngster Perr Schuurs will spend some time on trial with Liverpool.

The 17-year-old has already broken into the Dutch second-tier side’s first team, making 24 appearances.

Voetbal International report he will spend several days training with the Under-23s and play in some friendly fixtures.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:03:13 pm by Samie »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1601 on: May 21, 2017, 05:26:56 pm »
Lots to debate / discuss but results are the bottom line and finishing above United and Arsenal with that squad (that finished 8th last year) and those injuries is a fucking massive achievement

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1602 on: May 21, 2017, 05:31:18 pm »
Lots to debate / discuss but results are the bottom line and finishing above United and Arsenal with that squad (that finished 8th last year) and those injuries is a fucking massive achievement

Totally agree and the exciting thing is there is so much more to come from Klopp and this team, just the beginning. Can't wait to see what happens next, he deserves a pat in the back for that.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1603 on: May 21, 2017, 06:05:33 pm »

There is definitely a debate about us letting sides off the hook. We started well but didnt keep that intensity up.

But thats probably for another day.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1604 on: May 21, 2017, 06:10:37 pm »
Considering that Phil,Bob,Lallana,Mane and Hendo have only played 10 times together in the league, we've done brilliantly to finish in the top four.

Offline YoungKopite

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1605 on: May 21, 2017, 06:29:47 pm »
Two cup finals, and CL qualification in just a season and a half of managing us. Jurgen Klopp! :scarf

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1606 on: May 21, 2017, 06:31:11 pm »
Considering that Phil,Bob,Lallana,Mane and Hendo have only played 10 times together in the league, we've done brilliantly to finish in the top four.
More depth and we'll be fine.
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1607 on: May 21, 2017, 06:32:53 pm »
Thing about Phil as an 8 against low block teams that we could see today is that it means one less midfielder to make a run into the box. Often it would be him and DM in one line. I'm not sure how Klopp goes about dealing with this next season but one thing is sure if we don't sort out how to improve penetration in wide areas in these type of games we'll struggle to progress further.

We're either going to need to find a player who is going to position himself wide in the same line with opposition back 4 or 5 , wait to get a pass there and then make a run towards the goal, go past people which would create space elsewhere in the final third. Another thing is that our fullbacks are offering nowhere near enough in these type of games, they have to get to the byline more and they have to take more advantage of all the space they have because that's the only space there is with all these teams defending so narrow.

If we figure out an efficient way to stretch teams horizontally we'll be in a much better position to deal with these teams. If you achieve that balance dealing with these teams is actually a piece of cake.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1608 on: May 21, 2017, 06:33:14 pm »
There's the nucleus of a good side moving forward.  I felt all season that we probably were only a few players short when injuries struck and even with a full side there was often limitations on the bench in terms of pace. Feels like we needed 3-4 of the right players to balance out the side but the starting 11 is boss.

I think we'll do well in the champions league as long as we don't exhaust our player in the league and cup games
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1609 on: May 21, 2017, 06:49:59 pm »
Thing about Phil as an 8 against low block teams that we could see today is that it means one less midfielder to make a run into the box. Often it would be him and DM in one line. I'm not sure how Klopp goes about dealing with this next season but one thing is sure if we don't sort out how to improve penetration in wide areas in these type of games we'll struggle to progress further.

We're either going to need to find a player who is going to position himself wide in the same line with opposition back 4 or 5 , wait to get a pass there and then make a run towards the goal, go past people which would create space elsewhere in the final third. Another thing is that our fullbacks are offering nowhere near enough in these type of games, they have to get to the byline more and they have to take more advantage of all the space they have because that's the only space there is with all these teams defending so narrow.

If we figure out an efficient way to stretch teams horizontally we'll be in a much better position to deal with these teams. If you achieve that balance dealing with these teams is actually a piece of cake.
We had no real wide players on the pitch, I think another starting full back and another player like Mane and we'll be fine.  If we played 4-3-3 with the players we had on the pitch we would have struggled even more. Changing the system helps us as well as having players close to Sturridge who opens up space. I dont think its a system issue, more a player issue. We can sort it for next season and hopefully if we do end up with another injury crises we have enough depth or flexibility for it to not make a difference and to change things sooner.
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #1610 on: May 21, 2017, 07:06:49 pm »
If this 4-1-2-1-2 was going to work long term, how does it fit defensively. I.e. How do you protect from wingers

The outside CM's would usually need to engage the wingers in the first two thirds and then tuck in during the final third which is where you need good, aggressive 1v1 fullbacks. Milan was good with it because they did that + had all time great fullbacks. I don't think it's going to be a long term thing but if we have the option to play it again, especially in the league, then it's a very good thing.

Next season we'll have a bigger squad so we'll need an alternative solution for games where rotation is necessary, this gives us one.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #1611 on: May 21, 2017, 07:09:17 pm »
Klopp is a top class manager. He isn't perfect, but he gets things right far more often than he gets them wrong. I'm impressed with how he comes up with solutions and has improved our play against the bus. For all of the criticism of us struggling with the bus, we beat a lot of them in the run-in, and this season generally. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:10:56 pm by wemmick »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1612 on: May 21, 2017, 07:46:11 pm »
Klopp is a top class manager. He isn't perfect, but he gets things right far more often than he gets them wrong. I'm impressed with how he comes up with solutions and has improved our play against the bus. For all of the criticism of us struggling with the bus, we beat a lot of them in the run-in, and this season generally.

What I love about him is his calmness in high stress situations. Like the interview before the game, he was just so calm and cool, despite the probing by the interviewer. It's his ability to say the right things at the right times, you listen to him at a press conference and just feel immediately impressed. He really is good at managing both the media, as well as the players.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1613 on: May 21, 2017, 07:54:00 pm »

I feel like Buvac and Krawietz should get a lot of credit for this too, they seem like a really tight-knit team that work together to find these solutions.

Offline mascherano20

• Main Stander
« Reply #1614 on: May 21, 2017, 08:32:26 pm »
I feel like Buvac and Krawietz should get a lot of credit for this too, they seem like a really tight-knit team that work together to find these solutions.

Definitely think they deserve a huge amount of credit especially for their influence in the run in which got pretty hairy at times. I was surprised we didn't buy in December and fully think we would've been pushing Chelsea had we got more squad depth. Even today our bench was nowhere near enough if something really went wrong.

5 new lads at the level (or better)  of Wijnaldum is needed this summer and have no doubts that Klopp will deliver them. I honestly can't believe we would've got top 4 had it not been for Milner and Clyne going pretty much all season injury free so at least a left back is a must!

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1615 on: May 22, 2017, 02:10:40 am »
There's definitely a few changes I'd like to see:

A LB:
I like Milner but playing 60 games a season isn't an option next year and his versatility is an asset we could take advantage of. If we could have him play RB against weaker teams and brought in a quality LB then we could be a lot more dangerous in wide areas from the fullback positions. I'm quite happy with Milner at LB and Clyne at RB against stronger teams but Clyne isn't the best going forward so Milner at RB and a quality LB would help against those teams we struggle to break down. And I'd still play Trent Alex-Arnold in cup games and sub appearances.

A winger:
I think a proper pacey goal scoring wide man would have the biggest impact. We saw how good Coutinho can be centrally and when we are without Mane we are a little bit one-paced. To me it really compliments Firmino, Coutinho and Lallana having a little bit of extra pace in the side, these guys find pockets of space and if there is someone running in behind it makes the world of difference. Right now it's Mane and that's about it as far as pace goes.

There's other stuff we could improve on but I don't think anything will have as big an impact as a wide player and left back that stretches the field.
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #1616 on: May 22, 2017, 02:19:00 am »
I like the way he's building. I loved the ride under Brendan, but it was far more down to a wave of confidence than us actually building something which isn't reliant on one or two players. Granted Coutinho and Mane are critical to the system, but we've got results without both of them, and the likes of Lallana, Wijnaldum, Origi and Firmino have all contributed at key moments, and will hopefully kick on from here.

I think what we do this summer will be critical. We need, I believe, 2-3 signings the level of Matip-Mane. One in defense, one in midfield, one in attack. If we get that, we'll have a very solid squad, with good, hungry young players like Trent, Grujic and Origi in reserve.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1617 on: May 22, 2017, 02:20:59 am »
I love the diamond. And if Sturridge stays, he would be most effective in a 2 striker system (or a narrow 3), which means the width would have to come from the midfielders and fullbacks. And therein lies my pet peeve with this team. I cringe every time Milner has to take and extra touch to shift the ball to his right foot. I hate his starting position for receiving the ball. Its almost unnatural for me and we have to change that.

Which is why I am delighted with the rumors linking us with Mendy. Quite comfortably the most attack minded LB in Europe right now and if we can get a left CB who is quick to cover him, that left flank would be goals factory for us.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1618 on: May 22, 2017, 02:24:25 am »
Lad's its' happening. Kloppo's hinted at this today didn't he?

[/img]

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #1619 on: May 22, 2017, 03:54:50 am »
Not too sure about tactics, but I'd really like a leftie in our first 11 next season. Apart from sturridge and moreno ( 2 players who are seemingly not guaranteed a first 11 spot), we don't have anyone.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1620 on: May 22, 2017, 04:36:08 am »
Attack - Kasper Dolberg, Bruma
Midfield - Naby Keita
Defense - Virgil Van Dijk, Benjamin Mendy, Ryan Sessegnon

That should do it, no?

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1621 on: May 22, 2017, 04:44:23 am »

Comes down to pace out wide I think. You can see our FB's sitting on their FB trying to offer width but there's no chance of them getting in behind with a through ball or even beating their man when they get the ball.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #1622 on: May 22, 2017, 04:53:01 am »
Does our team lack wingers who can beat their man again and again? Mane can do it but it seems like we don't have trickery to open up space from wide... Am I wrong?

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
Klopp's musical chairs - who moves where?
« Reply #1623 on: May 22, 2017, 11:17:03 pm »
Ok, it's not done to music, but last season: -

Milner moved to left back  - who expected that?

Lalana moved from right side attack to midfield - scored more goals there. Again unexpected.

Henderson became a defensive midfielder.

Can became a sometime attacking midfielder.

Lucas became a sometime CB.

Actually, Gini was an attacker at Newcastle yet plays in midfield for us.

These are all internal transfers (sort of).

Who moves where for 2017/8?

Phil becomes a midfielder is expected.

People are still debating Trent's best position.

Any others?
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1624 on: May 23, 2017, 02:37:56 am »

This is only an issue if we play a 4-3-3 and play with one striker.  If we use Coutinho as an 8 in a 4-4-2 diamond midfield then we already have 2 players making runs ahead of him and only need that 1 runner from midfield to unbalance the defense.  Sturridge's movement, plus a #10 and another midfielder making runs gives us plenty of movement ahead of the ball.  I'm betting Coutinho will continue to be played wide left in a 4-3-3 where he can continue to be a playmaker with the midfielders making the runs in behind. 

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1625 on: May 23, 2017, 11:24:37 am »
I see we came top of the fair play league like we do most seasons.

I sometimes think it's an area we can improve in terms of making more fouls to stop counter attacks.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Currywurst

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1626 on: May 23, 2017, 04:21:09 pm »
I see we came top of the fair play league like we do most seasons.

I sometimes think it's an area we can improve in terms of making more fouls to stop counter attacks.

Ha, I misread your username as "cynical" ;D
Füreinander, nicht jeder für sich.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1627 on: May 23, 2017, 05:00:18 pm »
We need a new LB, CB, WF and a CF.
Believer

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1628 on: May 23, 2017, 06:30:03 pm »
Attack - Kasper Dolberg, Bruma
Midfield - Naby Keita
Defense - Virgil Van Dijk, Benjamin Mendy, Ryan Sessegnon

That should do it, no?

I'd be happy with that, maybe Luan for Bruma.

My only concern is that at 22, Mendy would be the number 1 LB for a long time stunting the development of Sessegnon. Maybe there's the case that there's enough games for the both of them but in all likelihood we would go for one or the other.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #1629 on: May 24, 2017, 03:24:47 pm »
Has Klopp ever dabbled into 3-4-3 formations outside of once in a while in-match, post-substitute situations?
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1630 on: May 24, 2017, 05:04:16 pm »
I'd be happy with that, maybe Luan for Bruma.

My only concern is that at 22, Mendy would be the number 1 LB for a long time stunting the development of Sessegnon. Maybe there's the case that there's enough games for the both of them but in all likelihood we would go for one or the other.
I doubt that we will get two good LBs for that reason. If we are getting Sessegnon, it's probably with a view to him being a precocious talent and delivering now and certainly by the following season.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1631 on: May 26, 2017, 10:42:36 am »

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1632 on: May 28, 2017, 05:59:24 pm »
So Lallana, Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum and Coutinho (when he played there) scored 23 goals from midfield. Not sure how that compares with other teams, but it seems to be an excellent return.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1633 on: May 28, 2017, 07:01:05 pm »
Needs to stand a man in front of the big lummox of a target man for the opposition. Boro's penalty shout came from Gestede getting the run and flicking it on.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1634 on: May 29, 2017, 01:55:18 am »
I think we need pace with the ball and pace with the foot, we were hamstrung with certain player combinations this season due to teams not being stretched by us enough.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1635 on: June 8, 2017, 02:11:32 pm »
Could the Statos on here please tell us the number of goals conceded by Dortmund during Klopps era and by Liverpool over the past 6 years? When did we last concede less than 38 in a season?

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1636 on: July 1, 2017, 02:12:09 pm »
Dortmund only conceded 25 goals in their title-winning season but it was generally around 40 league goals conceded most seasons under Klopp by Dortmund.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #1637 on: July 1, 2017, 06:54:07 pm »
Not sure if right thread but I'l go anyway

Say we enter the new season with the players we currently have plus Keita and all are fit. What does the front 6 look like on the opening day

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1638 on: July 1, 2017, 06:55:14 pm »
Not sure if right thread but I'l go anyway

Say we enter the new season with the players we currently have plus Keita and all are fit. What does the front 6 look like on the opening day

I would go with Henderson, Keita, Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino and Mane to start with.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #1639 on: July 1, 2017, 07:02:51 pm »
I would go with Henderson, Keita, Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino and Mane to start with.

Yeah think that looks about right to me. Salah from the bench will be a weapon