Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850069 times)

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #13120 on: June 3, 2020, 10:49:10 pm »
My employer sent a mail around saying they fully understand peoples anxiety and worry, and when they decide to re-open the office, anyone not comfortable returning to the office is free not to do so - however you won't be paid. Why dont football clubs do the same?

Not sure that is the right approach either. It should always be a proper conversation between the employer and employee to work out the way forward. In Deeneys case he has simply been talking bollocks in public whereas someone like Kante has sorted things out behind closed doors.

Make sure your employer publishes their risk assessment as I wouldn't trust that they have made things safe judging by the the bluntness of their email.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13121 on: June 4, 2020, 12:19:58 am »
Why are sky getting a £200m plus rebate when they’ve passed none of that to customers yet have provided little service?
"Little service" is very generous!  There wasn't any live sport of any description to broadcast for over two months.

I appreciate it's not a problem of Sky's making but they're still short-changing their customers.  The approach from too many businesses seems to be that they should be completely immune from suffering any losses from a global pandemic and that their customers and governments should carry the costs instead.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #13122 on: June 4, 2020, 01:15:04 am »
Hyperbolic nonsense.  There's a difference between an anxiety disorder and simply feeling anxious about a difficult situation, which is clearly what the employer was referring to.

If you're suffering from clinical anxiety you can get signed off and receive full pay for whatever period the employee's contracted terms allow.  The same should not be the case because you're (however sensibly) a bit worried about Covid-19, assuming reasonable precautions have been taken to minimise any risks.

And I include Troy Deeney and any other premiership chancer in that.
Although I'd stop short of calling the post you are replying to as hyperbolic nonsense, I have to agree with the rest of your reply.

As a lifelong sufferer of a debilitating anxiety disorder I have to say there is a monumental difference between being naturally anxious in a difficult time, and having an actual anxiety disorder. One is a normal, rational reaction to testing circumstances. The other can be highly irrational and highly debilitating.

Having some anxiety over C-19 really shouldn't be getting a footballer (or anyone else) a sick note unless it's tied into an existing anxiety disorder. To be honest, if everyone who had anxiety over this virus was given a sick note then the world would grind to a halt overnight.

Deeney has already said he's minted now, so isn't arsed about his pay anyway.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13123 on: June 4, 2020, 01:35:51 am »
Although I'd stop short of calling the post you are replying to as hyperbolic nonsense
I'd have stopped short of that myself if they weren't throwing in "c*nt" this and that over it.  It' s just incredibly unhelpful and emotive for the sake of it.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #13124 on: June 4, 2020, 01:40:09 am »
I'd have stopped short of that myself if they weren't throwing in "c*nt" this and that over it.  It' s just incredibly unhelpful and emotive for the sake of it.
Fair point.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13126 on: June 4, 2020, 09:27:54 am »
"Little service" is very generous!  There wasn't any live sport of any description to broadcast for over two months.

I appreciate it's not a problem of Sky's making but they're still short-changing their customers.  The approach from too many businesses seems to be that they should be completely immune from suffering any losses from a global pandemic and that their customers and governments should carry the costs instead.

Sky cancelled monthly Sky Sports subscription payments pretty much straight away. Granted you had to apply for it which was a bit shit, but they still did the right thing I think.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13127 on: June 4, 2020, 10:19:14 am »
Although I'd stop short of calling the post you are replying to as hyperbolic nonsense, I have to agree with the rest of your reply.

As a lifelong sufferer of a debilitating anxiety disorder I have to say there is a monumental difference between being naturally anxious in a difficult time, and having an actual anxiety disorder. One is a normal, rational reaction to testing circumstances. The other can be highly irrational and highly debilitating.

Having some anxiety over C-19 really shouldn't be getting a footballer (or anyone else) a sick note unless it's tied into an existing anxiety disorder. To be honest, if everyone who had anxiety over this virus was given a sick note then the world would grind to a halt overnight.

Deeney has already said he's minted now, so isn't arsed about his pay anyway.

I'd add in that there is a difference between someone who typically has next to no anxiety, but is anxious almost solely about C-19, and a person who is naturally anxious but can mostly get through a day, but can be badly affected by two months of Covid.

And of course, a person can always develop an anxiety disorder if it's left untreated, or they don't learn to manage it. A footballer shouldn't be able to refuse to work but still expect to be paid simply because he is a footballer. But even a footballer can have anxiety, depression etc.

I think in most cases, though, it's just footballers freaking out because they've had a dose of the reality us mortals live with every day. Covid doesn't care how big your bank balance or house is.

Troy Deeney's just a tw@t though. ;D
« Last Edit: June 4, 2020, 10:21:29 am by Red Berry »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13128 on: June 4, 2020, 10:41:19 am »
Was gonna say, Sky and BT have stopped charging customers but are still allowing access to their channels. It’ll be interesting to see what happens once the PL starts again.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13129 on: June 4, 2020, 10:42:02 am »
Sky are charging again from the 19th June

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13130 on: June 4, 2020, 12:02:38 pm »
Not sure that is the right approach either. It should always be a proper conversation between the employer and employee to work out the way forward. In Deeneys case he has simply been talking bollocks in public whereas someone like Kante has sorted things out behind closed doors.

Make sure your employer publishes their risk assessment as I wouldn't trust that they have made things safe judging by the the bluntness of their email.

I was summarising the email - it wasn't as blunt as it came across. And of course as a company they are doing all the appropriate risk assessments before letting anyone back in the office.

The option to work from home is still there if you don't want to go into the office - think the company are more guarding themselves against people who don't want to go into the office yet don't want to work from home either.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #13131 on: June 4, 2020, 01:24:40 pm »
I was summarising the email - it wasn't as blunt as it came across. And of course as a company they are doing all the appropriate risk assessments before letting anyone back in the office.

The option to work from home is still there if you don't want to go into the office - think the company are more guarding themselves against people who don't want to go into the office yet don't want to work from home either.

Monsters!

:lmao

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13132 on: June 4, 2020, 02:01:06 pm »
Number of subs to get increased for rest of the season to 5.

Definitely tainted now.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13133 on: June 4, 2020, 02:16:44 pm »
Number of subs to get increased for rest of the season to 5.

Definitely tainted now.

Guarantee these cry babies who are moaning about the rules changing around substitutions have been crying for VAR to be scrapped all season.

You couldn't make it up.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13134 on: June 4, 2020, 03:17:07 pm »
Number of subs available has been increased to 9 as well. Apparently a few clubs voted against the proposals for some weird reason

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13135 on: June 4, 2020, 03:19:18 pm »
The impact of sport on covid-19?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/03/we-were-packed-like-sardines-evidence-grows-of-mass-event-dangers-early-in-pandemic
Worth a read.
Dispatches covered this too, but outdoor events being dismissed as low risk shows a deep misunderstanding of how these things work in practice.
Flights, taxis, hotels, bars, trains, restaurants, takeaways are all used and are often heaving before and after big sporting events.
Watching the event probably is safe, it's just that virtually everything around it isn't.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #13136 on: June 4, 2020, 03:21:45 pm »
Are they discussing today how the season will finish if it gets stopped again or are they having another meeting regarding that as they don’t seem to talk about more than one issue at a time ?

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13137 on: June 4, 2020, 03:24:05 pm »
Are they discussing today how the season will finish if it gets stopped again or are they having another meeting regarding that as they don’t seem to talk about more than one issue at a time ?

Was reading on the other thread they have abandoned that discussion for such times as the league does get stopped again.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13138 on: June 4, 2020, 03:26:09 pm »
Was reading on the other thread they have abandoned that discussion for such times as the league does get stopped again.

As I said, 6 months to Brexit, no way will we go back into lockdown, they're bored of covid now.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Armchair expert

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13139 on: June 4, 2020, 03:31:56 pm »

Thanks

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13140 on: June 4, 2020, 04:21:12 pm »
As I said, 6 months to Brexit, no way will we go back into lockdown, they're bored of covid now.

Can you blame them when everyone's congregating on beaches and at Hyde Park in their thousands?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13141 on: June 4, 2020, 04:32:13 pm »
Can you blame them when everyone's congregating on beaches and at Hyde Park in their thousands?

Well they did say go where the fuck you want and have BBQs..........................
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13142 on: June 4, 2020, 04:38:49 pm »
Well they did say go where the fuck you want and have BBQs..........................

So that means congregate around thousands of people without social distancing? People need to take more responsibility for themselves. Anyway not the thread for it.

Offline Armchair expert

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13143 on: June 4, 2020, 05:29:02 pm »

As somebody said they’re not arsed about a second wave as they’ll just keep the first one going

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13144 on: June 4, 2020, 05:30:34 pm »
As somebody said they’re not arsed about a second wave as they’ll just keep the first one going

To be honest mate all the big economies are doing that around the world. Can't let the economy tank again in their view.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13145 on: June 4, 2020, 05:37:20 pm »
So they haven’t taken null and void off the table then  :missus

In completely unrelated news...Red_Rich and Lycan have gone a bit quiet, hope they’re ok!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13146 on: June 4, 2020, 05:40:48 pm »
Gone to Cantona's ski chalet in Switzerland mate.

Offline Onward Liverpudlian

• Kopite
« Reply #13147 on: June 4, 2020, 06:52:17 pm »
Just a thought but it might be LFC above all others who might not want a big deal made at this stage of what would happen if the season had to be curtailed after say 3,4 or 5 games after the restart. We may have had the quiet nod from all our rivals that we'll be crowned champions but Klopp and the board are concerned we may not perform quite as well and affect the integrity of the league if our players know we will be champions anyway by PPG or the table left 'as things stand'.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #13148 on: June 4, 2020, 08:37:02 pm »
A headline one couldn't have imagined in December

BBC Sport@BBCSport
The rest of the NBA season is set to be played at Florida's Disney World Resort.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #13149 on: June 4, 2020, 11:10:50 pm »
A headline one couldn't have imagined in December

BBC Sport@BBCSport
The rest of the NBA season is set to be played at Florida's Disney World Resort.

In similar fashion, Everton will be playing all of their games at Brighton Marine World, starting with the Derby.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #13150 on: June 5, 2020, 12:27:04 am »
So they haven’t taken null and void off the table then  :missus

In completely unrelated news...Red_Rich and Lycan have gone a bit quiet, hope they’re ok!

I wish you'd just put a fucking sock in it for once.

I was never a null & Voider.  Just shat myself over it when it was a (semi) realistic possibility (around the time the The French League stopped)

Since the FA said what they said, I'm relaxed.  And since the restart date announcement, totally cool. And, I've just recently gone back to work. Hence my "quietness".

United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13151 on: June 5, 2020, 12:59:37 am »
Bournemouth v Crystal Palace 7.45pm – BBC

Norwich v Everton 6pm – BBC

WOW the BEEB have been given two crackers already

and Amazon have picked up this beauty

Crystal Palace v Burnley

BT have only shit games involving Arsenal and the Plastic Derby...

Sky will lift the title with MARTIN TYLER AND GARY NEVILLE

AND IT'S NULL AND VOID
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13152 on: June 5, 2020, 06:36:34 am »
Bournemouth v Crystal Palace 7.45pm – BBC

Norwich v Everton 6pm – BBC

WOW the BEEB have been given two crackers already

and Amazon have picked up this beauty

Crystal Palace v Burnley

BT have only shit games involving Arsenal and the Plastic Derby...

Sky will lift the title with MARTIN TYLER AND GARY NEVILLE

AND IT'S NULL AND VOID

Ordinarily I’d agree but to hear even the likes of Tyler and Neville commentating on a match will seem like heaven after this long with no football.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13153 on: June 5, 2020, 09:09:22 am »
I can’t fucking wait for them two having to announce it. Hook it to my veins.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13154 on: June 5, 2020, 09:16:40 am »
I can’t fucking wait for them two having to announce it. Hook it to my veins.

My guess is Tyler will say something like 'it's not how they imagined it after a 30 year wait but you have to say they do deserve it this year. But with United on the rise again something tells me it wont be as easy for them next season. Which takes me back to 1999 and that famous night...'

Meanwhile Neville will be crying in the corner.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #13155 on: June 5, 2020, 09:51:38 am »
Seems like our games have been deliberately put late on weeknights to prevent any kind of celebrations or am I just being overly cynical?

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #13156 on: June 5, 2020, 10:28:42 am »
Seems like our games have been deliberately put late on weeknights to prevent any kind of celebrations or am I just being overly cynical?
I did notice that to be honest and thought I was being cynical :D

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13157 on: June 5, 2020, 10:34:48 am »
I wouldn't put it past them but realistically it'll be more about maximising viewing figures.

We're prime time, baby!
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline quirkovski

• Main Stander
« Reply #13158 on: June 5, 2020, 11:08:13 am »
I have just put the NRL on, playing crowd noise while the game is played in an empty stadium. Works well.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13159 on: June 5, 2020, 11:25:58 am »
I have just put the NRL on, playing crowd noise while the game is played in an empty stadium. Works well.

Yes for the tv audience, which we all are now, it makes perfect sense. I find the silence distracting.