Author Topic: Spyin' Kop: Bayer Leverkusen preview  (Read 5986 times)

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
Spyin' Kop: Bayer Leverkusen preview
« on: March 9, 2005, 09:37:43 am »
With a place in the last 8 of European footballs' flagship competition tonight may be the most important game Liverpool have played since, well the last time we played Bayer Leverkusen away.  Lets not revisit that match, I'll leave that to our respondents.

As High school German is a distant memory consisting mainly of praising schnitzels and explaining that my leg is broken this weeks questions were beginning to take on a slightly  surreal quality until I decided that we'd all heard more than enough of broken legs.  Ahab like I sought the aid of forum member 'Mobydick' aka Martin and he came through with both a translation and some relevant questions to boot. 

Of course the problem with asking questions in excellent German is that the recipient assumes you can verstehen it... So thanks are also due to forum member Christoph for providing a translation back into English.  Vielen Danke to both of them.

We have two viewpoints from Bayer Leverkusen supporters.  Michael and someone from fanclub-kunterbunt.de who forgot to give his name.  With a url like tbat however there was only one name I could use so I'll refer to our mystery respondent as....

wait for it....

Fritz (naturlich!)

So on with the questions:

RAWK: How do you think Bayer’s season is going so far?

Michael: The season so far could be much better. We had great moments and rubbish games so far. At the beginning we were on the top - just before christmas nearly at the bottom. Now were back again. Maybe next year we play at the UEFA-Cup.

Fritz: It's an average season for us, we didn't start badly into the second half of the season but dropped silly points against Bayern Munic and Stuttgart.

RAWK: Have your expectations changed since the start of the year?

Michael: UEFA-Cup was my thinking of this season. I'm glad we are miles away from the relegation.

Fritz: At the begin of the year we were in with a chance to win the title but now we should concentrate to qualify for the Uefa Cup or the Champions League.

RAWK: Where do you think Bayer’s main problems have been this season?

Michael: Our defense is rubbish sometimes. Some injuries caused more problems.  Our main problem is the defence because of the injuries to R. Junior, Juan and Jens Nowotny.  Ponte is to inconsistent in midfield as well.

Fritz: Defence, Midfield, Attack or maybe Injuries?

RAWK: Who do you think is (are) your most important player(s)?

Michael: Our best player is the team. We don't have superstars!

Fritz: Berbatov, Schneider, Juan, Nowotny, Ramelow, Placente

RAWK: Which of players is (are) out of form?

Michael: The team also is out of form - mostly on away matches.

Fritz: Krynoweck, Voronin, Franca, Ponte

RAWK: What are your expectations for the game against Liverpool?

Michael: I expect a win over Liverpool. We are mostly very strong at home. But ..., we have (i mentioned) a terrible defense. We need to score more than 3 goals.

Fritz: A victory which will send us through to the next round.

RAWK: What did you make of the atmosphere at Anfield?

Michael: The atmosphere at Anfield was fantastic. Very noisy and very friendly - full of passion. I have 2 favorite grounds in the world: Celtic Park and Anfield Road.

Fritz: I haven't been able to go because i had work commitments but the atmosphere sounded great on TV.

RAWK: What can  we expect for the atmosphere in Germany?

Michael: Our atmosphere could be much better. In games V cologne and b. munich it's very good, but games like Wolfsburg are quite silent (like Arsenal). Our songs are more the italian style - full of forza and olé. I prefer your songs!

Fritz: I would think so, the last game between us had a great atmosphere as well.

RAWK: Bayer has a number of injuries and players missing. Who do you think will be taking the places of Paul Freier, Robson Ponte and if still injured, Juan?

Michael: I don't know who's playing.

Fritz: I think Bierofka or Schneider will play instead of Freier, Donovan will come in for Ponte and Callsen Bracker will play instead of Juan.

RAWK: Do you have any young up and coming players in the squad that we might not know about?

Michael: 17 years old Castro had his first Bundesliga match last weekend. We lost at Hamburg.

Fritz: Gonzalo Castro (17), Sacha Dum (18) and Callsen Bracker

RAWK: What is your favourite memory or moment when playing English teams?

Michael: I've seen Liverpool playing V Alaves. That was one of my favorite games. My #1 game was Leverkusen V Liverpool (4:2). My first Liverpool game was the League Cup Final 1987. Sorry about that. I met Charlie Nicholas in a Glasgow Pub a year ago.

Fritz: The 4:2 against Liverpool and to kick Man United out of the Champions League.

RAWK: Which Liverpool player do you fear the most?

Michael: Rise's and Hamann's free kicks we have to care about. Milan Baros is a brilliant player.

Fritz: Steven Gerrard and John Arne Riise because they are great personalities on the field.

RAWK: “You’ll Never Walk Alone” is a song long and, traditionally associated
with Liverpool. Does Bayer have a “Club song or chant” that we need to listen out for?

Michael: You'll never walk is the most famous football song. 2nd favorite: The fields of Athenrye. Leverkusen has his own club song, but it's not good like these. We have to work on it.

Fritz: Bayer 04, wir stehen zu dir, und Fussballgott (Armin's translation - Footballgod, must be a song about Fowler),

RAWK: Do you think either Bayer or Liverpool are good enough to win the
Champions League?

Fritz: Both teams could win it but the competition is tough (especially Chelsea and Barca)

Michael: Don't know, P.S. Good luck V Everton!

Danke schon to Michael and Fritz as well as Christoph and Martin.  Lets hope that come the draw for the quarter finals this column is feverishly searching for Italian, French or even Cockney translators. 

Auf Wiedersehen :wave

Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
Re: Spyin' Kop: Bayer Leverkusen preview
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2005, 11:57:54 am »
:wellin

always like this feature.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #2 on: March 9, 2005, 12:19:39 pm »
Good article. Their own fans admit their defensive weaknesses and we must expose these tonight.

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2005, 01:14:32 pm »
feeling more confident in a strange sort of way after reading that  :-\

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #4 on: March 9, 2005, 02:10:23 pm »
Some good answers there.
Gonna be a wet night tonight I feel( says me looking out the window). If we utilize our speed up front and test their goalkeeper J. Butt with some long range kicks we will be well in.

Offline lurker

• Kopite
  • Irish Red
« Reply #5 on: March 9, 2005, 04:27:00 pm »
One thing struck me there.... they genuinely fear the threat that Riise poses down the left.... hmmm, interesting....

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #6 on: March 9, 2005, 04:49:20 pm »
I met Charlie Nicholas in a Glasgow Pub a year ago.

An occupational hazard of drinking in Glasgow, I believe.

Cheers Matt!

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 9, 2005, 05:17:54 pm »
I met Charlie Nicholas in a Glasgow Pub a year ago.

who hasn't  ;D
Yep.

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #8 on: March 9, 2005, 11:15:40 pm »
Some good answers. wonder how they are feeling now :(
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
  • The best day of my life
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 12:06:48 am »
Thanks for mentioning my name Armin! so i'm famous now?  ??? ;D
One life, one love, one LIVERPOOL FC

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 09:38:51 am »
Thanks for mentioning my name Armin! so i'm famous now?  ??? ;D

I'm afraid so.  Expect a mailbox full of womens underwear and forget going out for a 'quiet drink', the papparazzi will be waiting. :)

It's easy to like a set of fans when you've just knocked them out but have to say I was impressed by Bayer.  Sounded like a great atmosphere in the stadium and even if their team were disappointing the supporters acquitted themselves admirably both in Germany and at Anfield.  Best of luck to them for  the remainder of the season.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline LAHS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • MY FAULT!
    • WERKSELF
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 10:24:28 am »
Best of luck to them for  the remainder of the season.

Thanks mate. And if you win the cup make sure to sing "rocking all over the world" that we LEVs all know in front of our TVs that you remember us.
SORRY TO SAY THAT I AM GUILTY!

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 02:29:14 pm »
I'm sure that you will hear "Rocking all over the world" again very soon!  :D what a fucking great song!  ;)

Mops was a great place as well, the atmosphere was great and the friendly banter with the Leverkusen fans was fantastic! You can be proud of your support on wednesday!  :wave

@ Armin

;D maybe i can help out again for Spyin' Kop if we draw Bayern Munich!  ;) i would be glad to do so!  :wave
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 02:32:51 pm by Christoph »

Offline LAHS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • MY FAULT!
    • WERKSELF
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2005, 03:18:43 pm »
Mops was a great place as well, the atmosphere was great and the friendly banter with the Leverkusen fans was fantastic! You can be proud of your support on wednesday!  :wave

You were in MOPS??????? Did you see me there? Why didn´t you say a word??!?

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 03:36:29 pm »
Yes i was in MOPS at about 7ish  ;) I don't wanted to shout "where's Lahs?"  ;D but i met a few friendly Leverkusen fans anyway!

I tried to find MOPS for some time because some Leverkusen fan told us the wrong way  ::)  I'm not sure if he even knew what MOPS is!  ???

I stood at the bar with two lads from Liverpool and my mate!  ;) i stood maybe about 10 meters away from the big "who controls the past controls the future" LFC banner!

You've seen this banner?

Offline LAHS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • MY FAULT!
    • WERKSELF
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2005, 04:17:08 pm »
Yes i was in MOPS at about 7ish  ;) I don't wanted to shout "where's Lahs?"  ;D but i met a few friendly Leverkusen fans anyway!

I tried to find MOPS for some time because some Leverkusen fan told us the wrong way  ::)  I'm not sure if he even knew what MOPS is!  ???

I stood at the bar with two lads from Liverpool and my mate!  ;) i stood maybe about 10 meters away from the big "who controls the past controls the future" LFC banner!

You've seen this banner?

Jepp... I saw it. I was in the other room upstairs together with  Bob, Dave, Kirsty, Terri and all the other RAWKITES.

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2005, 04:20:12 pm »
I hope we will go back to Leverkusen one day and then i'll try to be in the right room in MOPS!  :wave

But i had a nice chat with some Leverkusen fans there, great place and big beers!  :D

hoonin

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2005, 02:03:06 am »
RAWK: “You’ll Never Walk Alone” is a song long and, traditionally associated
with Liverpool. Does Bayer have a “Club song or chant” that we need to listen out for?

And I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it
I li-li-li-like it, li-li-li-like it
Here we go
Rockin’ all over the world

:D

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2005, 02:05:49 am »

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/