Author Topic: The greatest sporting achievement of all time of any sport?  (Read 18635 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The greatest sporting achievement of all time of any sport?
« Reply #320 on: June 2, 2020, 06:11:22 pm »
Michael Johnson and his 19.32 in 1996 left me breathless.

Just destroyed the opposition and did something that was very special at the time.

I'll always remember that race.
also worth mentioning when it comes to Michael Johnson his 43.18 in the 400m in ‘99, lasted nearly 17 years until our wayde took it (and he was very gracious in the studio afterwards from what I remember)

Offline rhysd

• Kopite
  • Igor
« Reply #321 on: June 2, 2020, 07:05:14 pm »
That’s one of the better nominations on the thread.  It’s great the way he talks about the process as well, how it was the culmination of a year-long project to run that race in that way, with a view to achieving that result.  Like a longform version of O’Sullivan’s break-building.

Is there a documentary?
20 and 7

Offline rhysd

• Kopite
  • Igor
« Reply #322 on: June 2, 2020, 07:07:00 pm »
But then surely Usain Bolt's achievements eclipse this?

Bolt also amazing. But there was just something about the Johnson race that astonished me more. Maybe was my age, I was pretty young at the time.
20 and 7

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: June 2, 2020, 07:12:55 pm »
also worth mentioning when it comes to Michael Johnson his 43.18 in the 400m in ‘99, lasted nearly 17 years until our wayde took it (and he was very gracious in the studio afterwards from what I remember)

MJ is THE best pundit the BBC have for any sport.  We're lucky he likes us as the yank broadcasters are desperate for him to go over there.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #324 on: June 2, 2020, 07:38:50 pm »
Is there a documentary?
Yeah, I’d forgotten but there was.  It was on the bbc maybe four years ago at a guess, probably to tie in with the olympics?  No idea what it would have been called I’m afraid.  I’ve also seen him talking about race and sports, arguing against race as a factor in athletics, though I think that that was a different documentary.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #325 on: June 2, 2020, 07:44:13 pm »
MJ is THE best pundit the BBC have for any sport.  We're lucky he likes us as the yank broadcasters are desperate for him to go over there.
There’s no interest in athletics coverage in the US.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: June 2, 2020, 07:49:30 pm »
There’s no interest in athletics coverage in the US.

True but I mean they want him for their Olympic and World Championship coverage. Much like how we wheel him out for the big Athletics meet.  ;D

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #327 on: June 2, 2020, 07:54:56 pm »
True but I mean they want him for their Olympic and World Championship coverage. Much like how we wheel him out for the big Athletics meet.  ;D
They don’t really do punditry.  Most isn’t shown live and when it is shown, they only show US dominated events.  There’s almost no analysis, only action, interviews  or adverts.

So they just don’t need them.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: June 2, 2020, 07:57:25 pm »
Ah okay, safe to say we know why he likes to be with us.  :D