Author Topic: The greatest sporting achievement of all time of any sport?  (Read 18634 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: The greatest sporting achievement of all time of any sport?
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2020, 06:00:12 pm »
I saw every game Denmark  played.

It ruins it.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2020, 06:08:02 pm »
Without doubt if you consider climbing a sport as in this case its more like insanity

Alex Honnold climbing 3600 feet of a sheer cliff without a rope. Had to be perfect otherwise it was certain death

Otherwise in terms of traditional sport it has to be Roger Bannister breaking the 4 min mile as it was basically breaking the sound barrier for athletics.
Don't know anything about climbing.

What equipment does he have? Do you wear some kind of special shoe that can dig in, or have a spike of some sort to grab onto rocks? It looks like he's bare fisted with a pair of pretty standard shoes on.

You're right, insanity is the right word.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2020, 06:26:54 pm »
That's a very good point, winning a major tournament you didn't even qualify for to begin with is such an improbable feat that I don't think we'll ever see it again. Leicester were 5000-1 at the start of the season, but Denmark weren't even listed.

It should have an asterisk next to it, surely?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2020, 06:34:41 pm »

What equipment does he have? Do you wear some kind of special shoe that can dig in, or have a spike of some sort to grab onto rocks? It looks like he's bare fisted with a pair of pretty standard shoes on.

You should give Free Solo a watch. It's bonkers.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2020, 06:35:47 pm »

The only equipment he has is a small bag of chalk (same stuff weightlifters use) to dry out sweaty hands, and tight fitting shoes with a sticky rubber sole.

It's worth bearing in mind that he didn't just rock up and do the climb but practiced it over several years until every move was ingrained. 
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2020, 06:41:23 pm »
The only equipment he has is a small bag of chalk (same stuff weightlifters use) to dry out sweaty hands, and tight fitting shoes with a sticky rubber sole.

It's worth bearing in mind that he didn't just rock up and do the climb but practiced it over several years until every move was ingrained.

Basically his life goal. Mad to have the commitment to something that results in certain death with 1 solitary error.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2020, 06:57:59 pm »
I saw every game Denmark  played.

It ruins it.

Greece's style of play was worse. Much worse.

Offline Bolton

• Kemlynite
  • Hot Topic!
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2020, 07:05:55 pm »
For years I've said it's Ronnie O'Sullivan's 147 in 5 minutes.

Technically I think that's the hardest and most technically perfect sporting achievement of all time in any sport (assuming snooker is a sport)

Can that be beaten and if so why?
Original poster being subbed off at half time then refusing to run the line in the 2nd half. Eh Reeves [emoji12]

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2020, 08:53:40 pm »
I'm a bit biased but Armagh winning Sam Maguire was pretty cool. One of the smallest counties in Ireland, half the population would never even play the sport and they beat great teams on the way. It had been coming for a few years, they had to reinvent a whole new way of playing (for better or for worse) in order to win which was copied by everyone and changed the game.
YNWA

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2020, 09:08:47 pm »
I'm a bit biased but Armagh winning Sam Maguire was pretty cool. One of the smallest counties in Ireland, half the population would never even play the sport and they beat great teams on the way. It had been coming for a few years, they had to reinvent a whole new way of playing (for better or for worse) in order to win which was copied by everyone and changed ruined the game.

;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2020, 11:08:45 pm »
Dont think I can add one right now, but don't think Phelps is getting enough recognition
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2020, 11:23:47 pm »
That's a very good point, winning a major tournament you didn't even qualify for to begin with is such an improbable feat that I don't think we'll ever see it again. Leicester were 5000-1 at the start of the season, but Denmark weren't even listed.
What odds would you give to a team that aren’t in the tournament?  ;D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
YNWA

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2020, 12:02:42 am »
Cameroon in Italia 90, no one saw that coming.
#Sausages

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2020, 12:25:57 am »
I’d say every single Everton player over the last 25 years who has managed to get out of bed every day. Commitment.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2020, 01:23:30 am »
Might not be #1, but needs to be mentioned for the handful of baseball fans here...Arguably the most famous American athlete in history, Babe Ruth, shattered the home run record in 1920 and changed the game forever.

In 1918, Ruth shared the league's HR lead with 11.

In 1919, he set a new record by hitting 29 HRs.

In 1920 he hit 54 home runs, which was more than were hit by 15 of the 16 other TEAMS in Major League Baseball. It was more than DOUBLE what four of the teams had. It was more than the #2, #3 and #4 placed players had COMBINED.

It's basically the equivalent of Messi scoring about 125 goals next season. Ludicrous.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2020, 08:16:43 am »
Alex Honnold's solo for me, if the definition of 'sport' can be applied. I've climbed in Yosemite and the one thing the movie cannot do is fully represent the scale of the cliffs. Looking up the Salathe Wall/Nose of El Cap was one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had. It looks foreshortened, but once you zoom in on a climbing group, high on the wall, things just don't make sense in terms of scale. He certainly dialled in every move, practiced laps regularly and also had soloed some staggering routes previously (check this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phl82D57P58). However, what he did was almost beyond comprehension. Simply stunning.
Oh, and Mike Cudahy becoming the first person to run the Pennine Way in less than three days (all 270 miles of it).

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2020, 08:18:43 am »
In football, it has to be Leicester. As a general rule the role of luck is lessened the longer an event goes on.

You don't need to win that many games to win a knockout competition. Greece in Euro 2004 is a hugely impressive achievement, but it's just six games. There's a lot of romance attached to certain cup runs, but when put under the microscope there's often a hefty dose of fortune.

Leicester not only won a 38 fixture league including the richest clubs in the world, but did so pretty comfortably.

Not even close. Leicester were in a league with a load of rich clubs but those clubs were all pretty much in disarray. And 'poor little Leicester' were owned by a billionaire worth almost Ł5 billion at the time.  Clough's Forest piss all over Leicester if you want an 'against the odds' story.

Nottingham Forest were in the old Second Division when Clough and Taylor took over. In 1977 they won promotion to the top division, in 1978 they won the league and the year after that they won the European Cup, defeating Liverpool (who had won Big Ears the previous two years) on the way. They then went on to retain the European Cup in 1980.

Clough wasn't up against teams in disarray - he was against one of the greatest managers of all time in Bob Paisley and one of the best teams of all time.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 08:47:54 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2020, 08:23:45 am »
Not to toot my own horn but at a friendly match at University my captain let me come out of goal for the last ten minutes or so after me nagging him all game. I then scored a six minute hat-trick and but for a great save would have scored a fourth. ;D

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2020, 08:23:49 am »
Not even close. Leicester were in a league with a load of rich clubs but those clubs were all pretty much in disarray. And 'poor little Leicester' were owned by a billionaire worth almost Ł5 billion at the time.  Clough's Forest piss all over Leicester if it's you want an 'against the odds' story.

Nottingham Forest were in the old Second Division when Clough and Taylor took over. In 1977 they won promotion to the top division, in 1978 they won the league and the year after that they won the European Cup, defeating Liverpool (who had won Big Ears the previous two years) on the way. They then went on to retain the European Cup in 1980.

Clough wasn't up against teams in disarray - he was against one of the greatest managers of all time in Bob Paisley and one of the best teams of all time.

It doesn't matter what the owners were worth though, what matters is the squad value surely?

They signed Kante and Mahrez for a few million quid if that in the summer, Vardy broke the premier league record and was in non-league footy a few years before.

The gap between the very rich and the 'normal' nowadays is huge, just like society. Can't imagine the gulf between div 1/2 teams back then was not as big as now?

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2020, 08:47:21 am »
It doesn't matter what the owners were worth though, what matters is the squad value surely?

They signed Kante and Mahrez for a few million quid if that in the summer, Vardy broke the premier league record and was in non-league footy a few years before.

The gap between the very rich and the 'normal' nowadays is huge, just like society. Can't imagine the gulf between div 1/2 teams back then was not as big as now?

Depends what you mean by value. If you mean the players' value when they were signed, sure, Mahrez and Kante were nobodies. But since then, Kante is one of the best midfielders in the world, Mahrez is a 60m player or something like that, Vardy is pretty much consistent at getting 20 PL goals a season since then, Schmeichel is a very good GK, Ranieri a very good coach etc. All credit to their scouting department for finding all those players on a cheap, but looking back at that lineup, that was a team that was definitely a top 4 contender, we just didn't know it at the time.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2020, 08:47:32 am »
I don’t think the OP was asking about an ‘against the odds’ triumph though?  Else he’d’ve picked Joe Johnson.  I read it as looking for one singular thing which demonstrates absolute excellence, regardless of who did it.  Some long runs of success could just about qualify as a single achievement, but it needs to be one ‘thing’.  You can just about tie a bow round Forest 1976-80, but you can’t do that to Messi’s career stats.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2020, 09:50:19 am »
I don’t think the OP was asking about an ‘against the odds’ triumph though?  Else he’d’ve picked Joe Johnson.  I read it as looking for one singular thing which demonstrates absolute excellence, regardless of who did it.  Some long runs of success could just about qualify as a single achievement, but it needs to be one ‘thing’.  You can just about tie a bow round Forest 1976-80, but you can’t do that to Messi’s career stats.

Redgraves 5th gold at the age of 38 with a few years being diabetic added to it in such a competitive sport was such an unbelievable thing.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2020, 10:22:12 am »
Obviously way before my time, but Just Fontaine's 13 goals in a 6 game World Cup is also an extraordinary achievement, that should be an unbreakable record, nobody got even close.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2020, 10:48:06 am »
Depends what you mean by value. If you mean the players' value when they were signed, sure, Mahrez and Kante were nobodies. But since then, Kante is one of the best midfielders in the world, Mahrez is a 60m player or something like that, Vardy is pretty much consistent at getting 20 PL goals a season since then, Schmeichel is a very good GK, Ranieri a very good coach etc. All credit to their scouting department for finding all those players on a cheap, but looking back at that lineup, that was a team that was definitely a top 4 contender, we just didn't know it at the time.
Why does what happened since matter? You may as well say any earlier world records are worthless if they've been broken since. Kante, Mahrez and Vardy were largely seen as nobodies before that season. None of them would have made it near a championship contender, nor would journeymen like Wes Morgan and Danny Drinkwater or rejects from other teams like Albrighton and Simpson. Forest had several top players when they won the league. Shilton and Gemmill were international regulars, and Gemmill, Lloyd, McGovern and O'Hare had all been in the first XI at league title-winning teams.

With Leicester you have to factor in that that team had been largely dead and buried as recently as April 2015, having lost 17 of their last 24 matches, before they won 8 of their last 9 that season to stay up - at the time seen as a prominent candidate for the greatest escape in top division history. No way on earth were they a top 4 contender by any stretch.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2020, 11:32:17 am »
I'm a bit biased but Armagh winning Sam Maguire was pretty cool. One of the smallest counties in Ireland, half the population would never even play the sport and they beat great teams on the way. It had been coming for a few years, they had to reinvent a whole new way of playing (for better or for worse) in order to win which was copied by everyone and changed the game.

Definitely for worse. Armagh and Tyrone ruined Gaelic football for over a decade  ;D

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2020, 11:39:47 am »
Well it was better for us cos we would never have won it otherwise. Not bad for a small mixed county in the North  :P
YNWA

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2020, 11:41:55 am »

We were the greatest 1 in a row team since Derry 1993....

I’m not sure it fits here but the rise of Crossmaglen Rangers from the shadow of an Army Barracks and what happened around the town to become the greatest club in the country was pretty special. Maybe different from some achievements but the whole politics around it is sometimes forgotten

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2020, 01:31:52 pm »
O Sullivan's 147 in 5mins 20seconds will never be beaten.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2020, 01:46:04 pm »
First club to have nets.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2020, 03:16:32 pm »
I think Roger Federer's win at the Australian Open 2017 was an incredible story. Even though he was an absolute legend of the game already, he had not won any grandslams in 5 years, continously losing to the same players and in general looking like it might not be enough ever again. Then he had his knee operation and most of the tennis world thought that this might be about it for Roger. Retirement beckons: 35 years old (which is extremely old in tennis), hasn't won anything really big in 5 years, injury problems, confidence problems.

Then he comes back playing a single fun tournament as preparation! Nobody gave him a shot at the tournament. He started with two laboured wins against mediocre opposition. Then the first test against Berdych, which he surprisingly passed with flying colours. Next up is Nishikori: young, fresh, full of confidence. Roger wins in 5 sets, but by now everyone agrees that the old dog can't play more than one five-setter in a tournament anymore. He dispatches Mischa Zverev easily, but then faces Stan Wawrinka in the semis. Stan had just won the US Open and was full of confidence, probably very close to the best tennis in his career. Roger again wins in a marathon five set match, and faces his old nemesis Nadal in the final. 3-1 down in the fifth set of the final, he plays some of the most magical tennis I have ever seen to win the Australian Open. If you ever watch a set of tennis, make sure it is that fifth set of the Australian Open Final 2017. Simply stunning, from two absolute legends. For me, this comeback is up there with the best sporting achievements in single player sports of all time.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2020, 03:28:35 pm »
I think Roger Federer's win at the Australian Open 2017 was an incredible story. Even though he was an absolute legend of the game already, he had not won any grandslams in 5 years, continously losing to the same players and in general looking like it might not be enough ever again. Then he had his knee operation and most of the tennis world thought that this might be about it for Roger. Retirement beckons: 35 years old (which is extremely old in tennis), hasn't won anything really big in 5 years, injury problems, confidence problems.

Then he comes back playing a single fun tournament as preparation! Nobody gave him a shot at the tournament. He started with two laboured wins against mediocre opposition. Then the first test against Berdych, which he surprisingly passed with flying colours. Next up is Nishikori: young, fresh, full of confidence. Roger wins in 5 sets, but by now everyone agrees that the old dog can't play more than one five-setter in a tournament anymore. He dispatches Mischa Zverev easily, but then faces Stan Wawrinka in the semis. Stan had just won the US Open and was full of confidence, probably very close to the best tennis in his career. Roger again wins in a marathon five set match, and faces his old nemesis Nadal in the final. 3-1 down in the fifth set of the final, he plays some of the most magical tennis I have ever seen to win the Australian Open. If you ever watch a set of tennis, make sure it is that fifth set of the Australian Open Final 2017. Simply stunning, from two absolute legends. For me, this comeback is up there with the best sporting achievements in single player sports of all time.

Not sure I agree it entirely fits the context of the thread to be honest. While Federer hadn't won a Grand Slam for nearly five years, he'd regularly been competing for them. I mean he'd reached the Aussie semi-finals in four of the previous five years. He also didn't have to beat Djokovic or Murray, who had faced each other in four of the previous six Aussie finals.

To be honest I found it more surprising - and thought it was more of a story - that Nadal got to the final that year. He'd had two-and-a-half years of nothingness by his standards, not even winning the French in 2015 or 2016.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:32:42 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2020, 03:42:46 pm »
Not sure I agree it entirely fits the context of the thread to be honest. While Federer hadn't won a Grand Slam for nearly five years, he'd regularly been competing for them. I mean he'd reached the Aussie semi-finals in four of the previous five years. He also didn't have to beat Djokovic or Murray, who had faced each other in four of the previous six Aussie finals.

To be honest I found it more surprising - and thought it was more of a story - that Nadal got to the final that year. He'd had two-and-a-half years of nothingness by his standards, not even winning the French in 2015 or 2016.

Competing doesn't matter in tennis, winning matters. Same thing with reaching semi finals. Just ask Mourinho, it doesn't really matter. It matters if you go all the way. Nadal's comeback that year was similarily incredible, and his appearance in the final was equally surprising and a big story. Federer won however, so I think his comeback was "better".

Also, recency bias distorts this a bit. Federer went on and won another 3 Grand Slams after that, proving he is not to be written off yet. This should not change the perception of this incredible comeback. Pretty much everybody in the tennis world was sure that Federer was almost retired. Injury problems, not winning big titles anymore and most importantly, not beating his big rivals anymore.

Offline Johann Gambolputty

• Main Stander
  • We are the Anny,Anny road end.
« Reply #153 on: May 19, 2020, 04:09:13 pm »
The number of winners Tony McCoy rode. He won 4,358 races and won 20 consecutive championships. When you take into account that NH jockeys are actively taking part in their sport every day,facing serious injury and doing it during the worst of the British weather,travelling all over the country and all the dieting as well. 4,358 winners is truly mind boggling.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2020, 04:09:16 pm »
Competing doesn't matter in tennis, winning matters. Same thing with reaching semi finals. Just ask Mourinho, it doesn't really matter. It matters if you go all the way. Nadal's comeback that year was similarily incredible, and his appearance in the final was equally surprising and a big story. Federer won however, so I think his comeback was "better".

Also, recency bias distorts this a bit. Federer went on and won another 3 Grand Slams after that, proving he is not to be written off yet. This should not change the perception of this incredible comeback. Pretty much everybody in the tennis world was sure that Federer was almost retired. Injury problems, not winning big titles anymore and most importantly, not beating his big rivals anymore.

They may well have been saying that, but it was all hot air. Nothing beyond just looking at his age and injury suggested he was on the verge of retirement. He'd reached both semi-finals at both Slams he competed in the previous year. Sure, there were plenty of understandable doubts whether he could win a Slam again. But this was hardly a Tiger Woods-type turnaround. He was still the third best player in the world prior to his injury and the two players better than him were knocked out early at the Australian Open.

The bold simply isn't true either. The more times you reach the latter stages of Slams, the better chance you have of winning the tournament. Competing and winning are connected. Same goes for every sport. He was going deep in every non-clay Slam.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:11:52 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2020, 04:21:07 pm »
They may well have been saying that, but it was all hot air. Nothing beyond just looking at his age and injury suggested he was on the verge of retirement. He'd reached both semi-finals at both Slams he competed in the previous year. Sure, there were plenty of understandable doubts whether he could win a Slam again. But this was hardly a Tiger Woods-type turnaround. He was still the third best player in the world prior to his injury and the two players better than him were knocked out early at the Australian Open.

The bold simply isn't true either. The more times you reach the latter stages of Slams, the better chance you have of winning the tournament. Competing and winning are connected. Same goes for every sport. He was going deep in every non-clay Slam.

Yes, they were. Calls for his retirement were loud and clear. He wasn't winning big titles before the injury. And now with the injury it was deemed impossible to compete on the highest level ever again.

And I do not agree with the assessment of yours in bold either. If so, Andy Murray would have many more GS titles than somebody like Stan Wawrinka.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2020, 04:41:02 pm »
Yes, they were. Calls for his retirement were loud and clear. He wasn't winning big titles before the injury. And now with the injury it was deemed impossible to compete on the highest level ever again.

And I do not agree with the assessment of yours in bold either. If so, Andy Murray would have many more GS titles than somebody like Stan Wawrinka.

You don't agree that being at the deep end of Slams makes you more likely to win one? That's illogical.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: May 19, 2020, 05:03:32 pm »
Michelle Smith winning all those golds in Atlanta 96 :P

Seriously though, for me Ivanisevic winning Wimbledon in 2001 has to be up there.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: May 19, 2020, 05:17:28 pm »
Michelle Smith winning all those golds in Atlanta 96 :P
;D

Ivanisevic and Kraijcek winning Wimbledon, as well as tim Henman constant semis at wimbledon

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: May 19, 2020, 05:22:06 pm »
;D

Ivanisevic and Kraijcek winning Wimbledon, as well as tim Henman constant semis at wimbledon

What about Henman getting a hill named after him.