Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399228 times)

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2280 on: January 5, 2019, 10:11:18 pm »
I’m getting a.....

vibe from the City game

That was everything they’ve got. Forget De Bruyne being injured or whatever, doesn’t matter. That was them at their most desperate, hardest tackling, diving and nastiest. They abandoned their own style of play, they got ‘out possessioned’, they relied massively on the three oldest players in their squad and the golden egg looked as desperate as he ever has on the touch line. They showed us everything they’ve got, and it barely left a mark.

The media of course will try and build it up into a season defining moment. That’ll dissipate in a few weeks when they drop more points.

haha jaysus man, when I see that first line and then the hand.......I was wondering whether to read on or not , didnt know where it was going :)
Joking aside I know what you mean though, we went there, their place, gave as good as we got where other have been mauled, and come 90 mins they were glad it was all over.
We take big confidence from that game. You go there and get hammered, played off the park, not a sniff then youd be concerned, but that scoreline could have been the other way and no one would of said it was unfair

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2281 on: January 5, 2019, 10:29:58 pm »
Off the top of my head, that'll be Salah, Mane, Shaqiri and Keita. It's just the last two games of the season but as mentioned, Ramadan moves forward 12 days every year so it's going to be a much bigger factor from next season.

Hasn't been a factor for any athletes, and Ramadan has been around pretty much for thousands of years I believe, these players played at the world cup whilst fasting and also played in the Champions League final whilst doing so. They've done it through out their career.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2282 on: January 5, 2019, 11:04:48 pm »
haha jaysus man, when I see that first line and then the hand.......I was wondering whether to read on or not , didnt know where it was going :)
Joking aside I know what you mean though, we went there, their place, gave as good as we got where other have been mauled, and come 90 mins they were glad it was all over.
We take big confidence from that game. You go there and get hammered, played off the park, not a sniff then youd be concerned, but that scoreline could have been the other way and no one would of said it was unfair

They got mauled by the owl... THE OWL!!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 5, 2019, 11:06:34 pm by Mr_Shane »

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #2283 on: January 5, 2019, 11:08:07 pm »
I’m getting a.....

vibe from the City game

That was everything they’ve got. Forget De Bruyne being injured or whatever, doesn’t matter. That was them at their most desperate, hardest tackling, diving and nastiest. They abandoned their own style of play, they got ‘out possessioned’, they relied massively on the three oldest players in their squad and the golden egg looked as desperate as he ever has on the touch line. They showed us everything they’ve got, and it barely left a mark.

The media of course will try and build it up into a season defining moment. That’ll dissipate in a few weeks when they drop more points.

That's perfect ;D
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2284 on: January 5, 2019, 11:12:11 pm »
I always felt we would get beaten but didn't post for fear of jinxing us. I think teams that know what they have to do compared to teams with something to hold on to nearly always up their game, whilst the latter team is caught in two minds.

::)

Sorry, I just find this funny when people talk about jinxes etc. You really think your words are so powerful that posting them on here will affect the game?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2285 on: January 5, 2019, 11:23:32 pm »
Before the City match I thought if we could get a point then the max they could get us 99 and therefore about 95 would probably be enough to win it. Guess that goes up to 97 now. 43 from our last 17. Not much margin for error but doable.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2286 on: January 5, 2019, 11:30:57 pm »

Sorry, I just find this funny when people talk about jinxes etc. You really think your words are so powerful that posting them on here will affect the game?

Are you young? When you've been around a bit you realise that karma, jinx, mockers is REAL. Life and the universe is monitoring you at all times just looking for the chance to stick the boot in if you get uppity :)

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2287 on: January 5, 2019, 11:40:41 pm »
Before the City match I thought if we could get a point then the max they could get us 99 and therefore about 95 would probably be enough to win it. Guess that goes up to 97 now. 43 from our last 17. Not much margin for error but doable.
For them to get 96 points, they need to win 15, draw 1 and only lose 1 of their last 17 games. It is possible, but they dropped 12 points in the second half of last season, dropped 13 in the first half of this one. I don’t think they will go on to drop just 4 in this half.

While they are an excellent team, they are not as good as they were last year, and with the champions league coming up I doubt either of us will get 50+ in the last 19 games. I still think 93-95 will win it, and we’re more likely than them to achieve it.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2288 on: January 5, 2019, 11:43:51 pm »
Beat Brighton any way any how and put pressure on them to do the same against Wolves.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2289 on: January 5, 2019, 11:48:09 pm »
For them to get 96 points, they need to win 15, draw 1 and only lose 1 of their last 17 games. It is possible, but they dropped 12 points in the second half of last season, dropped 13 in the first half of this one. I don’t think they will go on to drop just 4 in this half.

While they are an excellent team, they are not as good as they were last year, and with the champions league coming up I doubt either of us will get 50+ in the last 19 games. I still think 93-95 will win it, and we’re more likely than them to achieve it.

Hopefully. Last year is a funny one. You could say they dropped points as the League was won so early and the pressure was off. But then losing to United on the day they could have won it does show the pressure can get to them.

Hopefully you’re right. Needing early 90s sounds that much less daunting I think, however ridiculous that still sounds.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2290 on: January 5, 2019, 11:54:24 pm »
This Ramadan thing is as crazy as AFCON - with it occurring twice a month and what not

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #2291 on: January 6, 2019, 12:12:52 am »
everton v man city  will be moved when city get the cup final 24th feb.

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2292 on: January 6, 2019, 12:37:39 am »
Hopefully. Last year is a funny one. You could say they dropped points as the League was won so early and the pressure was off. But then losing to United on the day they could have won it does show the pressure can get to them.

Hopefully you’re right. Needing early 90s sounds that much less daunting I think, however ridiculous that still sounds.
I think it’s true to an extent that they dropped points as the league was already won, but then again, they dropped one more point in the first half of this season. I just think that 44-45 points in 19 games is closer to their ’true’ quality, than 52-53 (which they this year to finish with 96-97) or the 55 they got in the first half of last season. The same is true for us, it’s unlikely that we’ll get 51 again any time soon (it’s our best ever start with 3 points for a win).

They are capable of putting together another run like it, but 50+ points out of 57 doesn’t happen very often for a reason. Even excellent sides struggle to keep such consistency. As a comparison we got 48 in our final 19 in 13/14, and no team as got more in the second half since. Spurs with 47 is second best (in 16/17).

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2293 on: January 6, 2019, 01:20:31 am »

Just one of those things, it never makes sense but look what some players do. What Reina used to do was fucking insane :lmao but a lot of people find small comforts in little things, nothing wrong with that

/

Fuck City.

When they first got the money, I actually didn't mind them all that much. Now they just get more irritating with every season that passes. The sheer arrogance of their fans has reached bizarre levels and its quite hilarious how some of them view the league and themselves. The league hasn't been retained in 10 fucking years and yet you have some of them saying its 'their league' and how they run the show :lmao
« Last Edit: January 6, 2019, 01:26:35 am by RyanBabel19 »

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2294 on: January 6, 2019, 01:21:38 am »

I hate to say it, but I think I grabbed an unlucky top from the wardrobe on Thursday.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2295 on: January 6, 2019, 02:47:59 am »
I contributed as well. I was about to post that the Gini, Hendo, Milner midfield didn’t give us that much going forward and had failed in some big away games. I didn’t as I didn’t want to be negative. If I had posted reverse-mockers would have pushed the ball that few centimetres over the line and we would have scored first.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #2296 on: January 6, 2019, 07:55:51 am »
I still think 93-95 will win it, and we’re more likely than them to achieve it.

Why?

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2297 on: January 6, 2019, 08:00:20 am »

Been using my fantasy football team to injure opponents all season. Why to you think De Bruyne's been out, or Silva's hamstring went, or Arsenal can barely field a defender? Stipped Bob of my captancy 2 weeks ago. 4 goals in 2 games. Boom.

Bit of recognition for the jinx and counter jinxers would be nice. The unsung heroes of this campaign.

Working on maiming Spurs at the mo. Unjinxable fuckers.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2019, 08:02:31 am by Chip Evans »

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #2298 on: January 6, 2019, 09:21:39 am »
everton v man city  will be moved when city get the cup final 24th feb.

Why bother playing it at all! Save the hassle, just give City the 3 points and enough goals to create a massive GD over us!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2299 on: January 6, 2019, 09:45:47 am »
We just have to keep our heads.

We play the next two league matches before City.

Win and the pressure is back on them to close the gap.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2300 on: January 6, 2019, 09:57:59 am »
There has been constant pressure on both sides all season, for being ahead and behind. We just swapped places for the second half of the season. nothing has changed. The difference I have seen is both can have blips but City once every blue moon fuck up big time

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2301 on: January 6, 2019, 11:44:56 am »
Why?
Mainly because we’re 4 points ahead and can afford to drop points in two more games. 39-41 points from 17 games is of course easier than 43-45. I also think we look the better team right now, although there is no great difference between us.

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #2302 on: January 6, 2019, 12:11:52 pm »
Small margins mate. You 'think' he might be ok with it. We are going to have a second half of the season to match the first half and you want to take a knock at one of our senior midfielders?
I don't get this. Like what would be the point? What's to gain?
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2303 on: January 6, 2019, 12:52:33 pm »
There has been constant pressure on both sides all season, for being ahead and behind. We just swapped places for the second half of the season. nothing has changed. The difference I have seen is both can have blips but City once every blue moon fuck up big time

I wonder if city thought/felt any pressure - until we actually went ahead. Remember they were handed the title before the season started - and I am sure they expected us to fall off at some point when we were behind in October and November.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #2304 on: January 6, 2019, 12:55:03 pm »
City will drop a lot more than 4 points. Last season was a freak and they still dropped 12 points in the second half of the season. Pep likes a strong first half and a coast home in the second from his teams over a season. They were full heavy metal football first half of the season; no chance of them doing the same again. They'll wallop a few teams here and there, but will be forced to dig deep more often than they are used to perhaps. If they drop points before we do now, I think they'll wobble. If we blink first, it's very much game on.

93 points might win it for us; that's a tall order but doable. It would also be joint third best ever points total from a 38 game season I believe  ::)

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2305 on: January 6, 2019, 12:57:01 pm »
I’m getting a.....

vibe from the City game

This 110%.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2306 on: January 6, 2019, 03:05:18 pm »
City playing a fairly strong team in the cup today.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2307 on: January 6, 2019, 03:43:37 pm »
City playing a fairly strong team in the cup today.

Well yeah, one that had 8 changes from the game against us.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #2308 on: January 6, 2019, 04:04:05 pm »
Hasn't been a factor for any athletes, and Ramadan has been around pretty much for thousands of years I believe, these players played at the world cup whilst fasting and also played in the Champions League final whilst doing so. They've done it through out their career.
If that's true then I'm happy obviously, do you have any article that you could link to support it?
What I've seen last year was that 0 countries progressed from their group in Russia that can be considered Muslim. The World Cup started on the last day of Ramadan.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2309 on: January 6, 2019, 04:12:25 pm »
If that's true then I'm happy obviously, do you have any article that you could link to support it?
What I've seen last year was that 0 countries progressed from their group in Russia that can be considered Muslim. The World Cup started on the last day of Ramadan.

Mate I've had this tedious debate with someone on here before the CL final, and no offense I am no arsed going down that route again. There is plenty of evidence out there for you too look into, there is even a thread about it that you can look up on here in where we discussed this.

That has nothing to do with Ramadan and everything to do with the lack of overall quality that those countries have in their side. Senegal didnt miss out because of Ramadan, but because of number of yellow cards they received compared to Japan who got through

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #2310 on: January 6, 2019, 05:29:51 pm »

My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2311 on: January 6, 2019, 05:30:44 pm »
Well in Babu :D

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2312 on: January 6, 2019, 05:44:08 pm »

So sharks aren't Muslim. That's quite interesting.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #2313 on: January 6, 2019, 05:47:08 pm »

They certainly seem to like ice cream.
Or maybe they don't,  hence the increase in attacks on the ice cream eating beach dwellers.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2314 on: January 6, 2019, 05:54:16 pm »

Everybody knows that it is thongs that attract sharks.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Golyo

• Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #2315 on: January 6, 2019, 06:01:13 pm »
Mate I've had this tedious debate with someone on here before the CL final, and no offense I am no arsed going down that route again. There is plenty of evidence out there for you too look into, there is even a thread about it that you can look up on here in where we discussed this.

That has nothing to do with Ramadan and everything to do with the lack of overall quality that those countries have in their side. Senegal didnt miss out because of Ramadan, but because of number of yellow cards they received compared to Japan who got through

Mate, obviously I did not see that debate.
The last time Ramadan coincided with the important end of the season was more than 30 years ago. I don't know what ways are around the fasting rules, but not drinking and eating during daylight would mean fasting for 15 hours every effing day in May, and I see no way that wouldn't hinder preparation for football matches. Rehydration is essential in every training session. Last year it was mentioned that Salah could 'suspend Ramadan' for two days (the CL final and the day before) because of travel. Otherwise, I am quite ignorant of the exact rules and would very much like to know more. Like, why nobody mentioned Mané?
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline Golyo

• Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #2316 on: January 6, 2019, 06:03:11 pm »

Thanks, I am perfectly aware of that fact.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2317 on: January 6, 2019, 06:10:18 pm »
Mate, obviously I did not see that debate.
The last time Ramadan coincided with the important end of the season was more than 30 years ago. I don't know what ways are around the fasting rules, but not drinking and eating during daylight would mean fasting for 15 hours every effing day in May, and I see no way that wouldn't hinder preparation for football matches. Rehydration is essential in every training session. Last year it was mentioned that Salah could 'suspend Ramadan' for two days (the CL final and the day before) because of travel. Otherwise, I am quite ignorant of the exact rules and would very much like to know more. Like, why nobody mentioned Mané?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/3yvhf2/hakeem_olajuwon_during_ramadan_an_analysis/

Here's an interesting read about Hakeem Olajuwon, one of the greatest basketball players ever. To summarise, he converted to Islam halfway through his career and there was no discernible trend on his performances, other than his team actually winning more during Ramadan.

In the comments, there's a mention of how Islamic scholars permitted the Algerian football team to postpone their fasting until after the 2014 WC, with the reason given that football being their primary income.

Islam is complex and personal, peoples' adherence to various rules differs based on their culture and their personal beliefs. I don't know how our players treat fasting whilst playing but it's not something that anybody should be worrying about. Even if it does affect performances, it's the players' decision on how to approach this issue, and it's the same players we idolise on a regular basis.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2318 on: January 6, 2019, 06:24:38 pm »

Just aswell, they’d have a Hell of a time getting halal meat.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #2319 on: January 6, 2019, 06:34:04 pm »
is it arrogant and disrespectful of me to have my eyes firmly fixed on 3pm next satdee?  Yes, i am stimulated by a good game and win tomorrow but I am just wishing away the days to our next league fixture.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!