Author Topic: Asus X555LA Grey Screen Help  (Read 2419 times)

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
Asus X555LA Grey Screen Help
« on: March 2, 2018, 12:00:46 pm »
Hi,

Switched my laptop on this morning to get the grey screen of death, have tried google etc, watching videos on YouTube etc, even contacted Asus who won't say anything unless I return it to base as its outside of the warranty.

Not got an external monitor but the consensus seems to be it's the graphics card, I was wondering if anybody else on here has had this experience and managed to fix it. I don't mind paying for it to be repaired but don't want to be without it for a couple of weeks.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Asus X555LA Grey Screen Help
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2018, 01:09:40 pm »
Do you see anything on screen at all? I assume the hard drive kicks in etc?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2018, 01:15:00 pm »
It has an HDMI port - you can connect it to a TV using an HDMI cable.

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2018, 01:22:38 pm »
Do you see anything on screen at all? I assume the hard drive kicks in etc?

The screen was all grey, the on switch works and when I held on both the on switch & the delete key the screen went from grey to white but no way of getting into bios. Tried plugging my iPhone into it which charges and now a diagonal black line not straight appears. I reckon it's been dropped.

« Last Edit: March 2, 2018, 01:31:13 pm by Alf »

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2018, 01:23:16 pm »
It has an HDMI port - you can connect it to a TV using an HDMI cable.

Thanks will give that a whirl.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2018, 01:52:12 pm »
The screen was all grey, the on switch works and when I held on both the on switch & the delete key the screen went from grey to white but no way of getting into bios. Tried plugging my iPhone into it which charges and now a diagonal black line not straight appears. I reckon it's been dropped.

That looks very like your screen is fucked.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/cracking-open/how-to-replace-a-broken-laptop-screen/

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 2, 2018, 02:41:42 pm »
That looks very like your screen is fucked.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/cracking-open/how-to-replace-a-broken-laptop-screen/

Thanks stupid question if I plug the HDMI cable into my tv based on that assumption it should work. I've spent the best part of 6 hours upgrading my old windows 7 laptop to Windows 10 to run Citrix Receiver for work.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2018, 02:43:34 pm »
Yeah that looks like the screen has cracked. One of my screens looked very similar when I banged it when moving house.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 2, 2018, 03:03:51 pm »
Thanks stupid question if I plug the HDMI cable into my tv based on that assumption it should work. I've spent the best part of 6 hours upgrading my old windows 7 laptop to Windows 10 to run Citrix Receiver for work.

Yes it should work. You may have to press FN and the display function key - to toggle the display device.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 2, 2018, 04:06:41 pm »
One of the easier brands of laptop to replace a screen on.

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 2, 2018, 06:31:59 pm »
Yes it should work. You may have to press FN and the display function key - to toggle the display device.

Works fine thanks again.

One of the easier brands of laptop to replace a screen on.

I've got a battle on my hands, the arl fella loves taking things apart and has the same laptop so he's as keen as mustard :)     

Will do my homework first.         

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2018, 10:58:47 pm »

Which has now bit the dust too. 

Just done some work using my tv,  I actually thought it was much better.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #12 on: March 3, 2018, 10:45:24 am »

Yep, that's a dropped laptop. I do IT support in a school so have seen that more times than I can count! Funnily enough it's not just the student laptops either. Several times a teacher has come in and said "this has just happened, I can't explain it..."

Changing a screen can be a piece of piss depending on the case. We've got some Samsungs that I can do in 2 minutes as the bezel just peels off and they have 4 easy accessible screws. On the other hand there are some we've got that you have to get to about 16 screws from all different angles. Popular models of laptop often have video guides on youtube so I'd have a look there first.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #13 on: March 3, 2018, 12:45:14 pm »
I've done a screen on one of these for my lad and it was pretty straightforward.  There should be lots of 'strip down' videos on youtube.  Need to be a bit careful prising off the bezel (I ran a credit card round the edge) and keep a track of the screws which were all different lengths (photos help).  Apart from general care with ribbon cables which can be a bit fragile, probably the most difficult bit was getting the keyboard off which was fixed with double sided tape as well as screws - lots of patient prying required.

I would get the old screen out before you order a new one so you can get the actual part number - manufacturers may use different screens on similar models.  Online sellers will provide one that is compatible, often with a choice of matte/gloss finsh.  Mine was about 40 quid.

Good luck.

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 3, 2018, 01:14:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice, have taken the old screen out as I'd seen 40 & 30 pin replacements before ordering a new one as I wanted to see where the cables were inside and I didn't realise grey used different screens on the same model.

The credit card was a good idea for the bezel, I've used it before to get my phone out of the juice pack.

I do remember dropping it Thursday, didn't recall it at the time. It was only when I plugged my phone into it twigged on me.

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 05:53:06 pm »
Thanks everyone, got around to fixing it this morning. Just made a donation to RAWK to say thanks.