Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1806572 times)

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #18760 on: January 7, 2023, 10:25:24 pm »
True. I don't know what game some people were watching. We only have one midfielder playing, Thiago. One man midfield. Hopefully he stays fit otherwise we are truly fucked.

It's a complete myth, fans are so blindsided by flashy players that they watch on twitter highlight reels. Doesn't offer any of the functionality and hard running you need from a Klopp side. No wonder we're a wet blanket in midfield.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #18761 on: January 7, 2023, 10:26:11 pm »
Slim pickings though, doesn't cover enough ground, doesn't get in your face, generally allows players to drift pass him easily. Watching Thiago's highlights is watching a film trailer, looks nice, but doesn't determine the true quality.

The guy is a liability and ought to leave at the end of the season.
You’re the same guy who was shitting on Thiago at halftime in the Leicester game? Said he never does anything off the ball despite winning a tackle that saved a certain goal when he was defending one on one 🤣🤣

And yet you’re repeating the same bollocks here and getting shown up again 🤣🤣
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline KloppCorn

• Kopite
« Reply #18762 on: January 7, 2023, 10:26:40 pm »
Slim pickings though, doesn't cover enough ground, doesn't get in your face, generally allows players to drift pass him easily. Watching Thiago's highlights is watching a film trailer, looks nice, but doesn't determine the true quality.

hahaha good one. He’s our best tackler,dribbler and passer. He’s the only guy that chases players and wins the ball back. You must be new to this football thing.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18763 on: January 7, 2023, 10:27:04 pm »
The midfield is awful. Fabinho and Henderson are just not it anymore.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18764 on: January 7, 2023, 10:29:20 pm »
You’re the same guy who was shitting on Thiago at halftime in the Leicester game? Said he never does anything off the ball despite winning a tackle that saved a certain goal when he was defending one on one 🤣🤣

And yet you’re repeating the same bollocks here and getting shown up again 🤣🤣

He is not a Klopp style Liverpool player. Maybe fine for a technically gifted side that emphasises ball possession, but we need to play to our strengths in counter-pressing and off the ball work. True, we do need an element of technical and possession based play to win trophies but it's sterile and useless without the off the ball work. And Thiago offers nothing in that regard. If he's such a great player, then why do balls leak from midfield all the time? Or do we just blame Hendo for that as he's an easy scapegoat?

Problem with Liverpool is that they are trying to control games Man City style and we don't have the depth in talent to do that like they do.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2023, 10:31:47 pm by mattD »

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18765 on: January 7, 2023, 10:30:16 pm »
but it's sterile and useless without the off the ball work. And Thiago offers nothing in that regard.

;D ;D

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #18766 on: January 7, 2023, 10:32:14 pm »
He is not a Klopp style Liverpool player. Maybe fine for a technically gifted side that emphasises ball possession, but we need to play to our strengths in counter-pressing and off the ball work. True, we do need an element of technical and possession based play to win trophies but it's sterile and useless without the off the ball work. And Thiago offers nothing in that regard.

Problem with Liverpool is that they are trying to control games Man City style and we don't have the depth in talent to do that like they do.
Who brought him to the club?

Thiago has more tackles and interceptions than other outfield player other than Jota. He’s always leading the pressing stats in midfield too. You seriously have no idea what you’re talking about.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2023, 10:35:19 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18767 on: January 7, 2023, 10:35:35 pm »
Who brought him to the club?

Thiago has more tackles and interceptions than other outfield player other than Jota. He’s always leading the pressing the stats in midfield too. You seriously have no idea what you’re talking about.

I actually agree that Thiago is a problem, albeit not our biggest one. He's great at putting out fires, very underrated, but our system is built on not letting those fires start in the first place and he doesn't really have the legs for it. I think he might be better in that 6 role with two energetic players ahead of him, instead of being required to get up and down the pitch so much in his current role.

Offline jack witham

• Anny Roader
« Reply #18768 on: January 7, 2023, 10:36:39 pm »
Thiago is a luxury player all well and good doing step overs and flicks when your about 4 nil up.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18769 on: January 7, 2023, 10:39:07 pm »
Thiago is not meant to carry the pressing, tackling, interceptions and overall being the athletic midfielder destroyer for us. So it’s bit comical that he’s leading those stats for us.

He’s a great player, and he needs those other types of midfielders next to him to excel.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #18770 on: January 7, 2023, 10:40:20 pm »
The midfield is awful. Fabinho and Henderson are just not it anymore.

You can get away with one slow immobile centre mid if he offers something exceptional. Week in week out we are trying to carry three slow immobile centre mids and it is painful to watch.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18771 on: January 7, 2023, 10:40:38 pm »
I know Klopp said publically that midfield is not the problem but he can't genuinely believe that can he?  He's the best there is at protecting his players so it's most likely that. It's so frustrating game after game seeing us being out ran, out fought, out muscled, out played. It's hard to see a combination that will get us top 4 this season. We just don't do clean sheets anymore. We're in big trouble

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18772 on: January 7, 2023, 10:40:54 pm »
He is not a Klopp style Liverpool player. Maybe fine for a technically gifted side that emphasises ball possession, but we need to play to our strengths in counter-pressing and off the ball work. True, we do need an element of technical and possession based play to win trophies but it's sterile and useless without the off the ball work. And Thiago offers nothing in that regard. If he's such a great player, then why do balls leak from midfield all the time? Or do we just blame Hendo for that as he's an easy scapegoat?

When have not been a possession side, in fact what big team in Europe isn’t a possession side? We’ve averaged the 2nd highest possession in the league for years, I think you seem to think we’re managed by Sean Dyche.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #18773 on: January 7, 2023, 10:41:02 pm »
I’m quite astonished after that performance from his companions in midfield, Thiago is the one everyone is talking about.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18774 on: January 7, 2023, 10:41:32 pm »
Thiago is incredible on the ball when he’s purring but signing him after losing Wijnaldum was an issue.

Henderson is done being a regular player for us.

Fabinho is fine, the rest aren’t cut out. An overhaul needed.

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18775 on: January 7, 2023, 10:41:39 pm »
I'm ready to see what Trent is like in there.
@paulair

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18776 on: January 7, 2023, 10:41:46 pm »
You can get away with one slow immobile centre mid if he offers something exceptional. Week in week out we are trying to carry three slow immobile centre mids and it is painful to watch.

This is it. Anyone of the three, we could probably accommodate but not all three. And of the three in our midfield at the moment, only Thiago has the necessary technical level to warrant being accommodated in my opinion.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline KloppCorn

• Kopite
« Reply #18777 on: January 7, 2023, 10:41:50 pm »
Would sell Fabinho the only way is down. He improved a bit after the World Cup but he’s so slow people just skip past him. Thiago is doing the job of 3.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18778 on: January 7, 2023, 10:42:42 pm »
Thiago is not meant to carry the pressing, tackling, interceptions and overall being the athletic midfielder destroyer for us. So it’s bit comical that he’s leading those stats for us.

He’s a great player, and he needs those other types of midfielders next to him to excel.

This exactly, it’s not like he hasn’t excelled either, it was just last season when he was one of the best midfielders in the league.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #18779 on: January 7, 2023, 10:42:49 pm »
Don’t know we don’t try a double pivot. Not commit so many players forward.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18780 on: January 7, 2023, 10:43:09 pm »
He's useless. Doesn't offer any of the functionality and hard running you need from a Klopp side.

?
He is the only one currently offering what you said. I have no respect for your opinion.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18781 on: January 7, 2023, 10:44:21 pm »
I have to agree that Thiago was poor today, and I feel poor for a fair few games. His tackles aren't very good, he gets pressed often and unusually this year he faulters a lot, and he isn't great at stopping counters. It's also a coin flip as to whether he is going to start an attack in transition or going to slow it down to a crawl with slow ponderous passes around with no penetration.

He would work well in a team playing neat passing football ala City, or would do well with strong athletic direct players around him to both cover him and provide an effective outlet, but as it stands he doesn't suit the midfield.

Now at least with that one, it is largely mismatch issue rather a skill issue. He is currently a luxury in a midfield that doesn't work, but he could be a good player in a functioning one (although maybe after this season I feel he should be mor a squad player). Henderson and Fabinho on the other hand just don't have the legs at the moment for midfield.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2023, 10:46:11 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #18782 on: January 7, 2023, 10:44:29 pm »
Thiago is incredible on the ball when he’s purring but signing him after losing Wijnaldum was an issue.

Henderson is done being a regular player for us.

Fabinho is fine, the rest aren’t cut out. An overhaul needed.
We didn’t sign him after losing Wijnaldum.

Fabinho is fine? He must be fucking dizzy the amount of times he was turned today.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #18783 on: January 7, 2023, 10:45:19 pm »
I actually agree that Thiago is a problem, albeit not our biggest one. He's great at putting out fires, very underrated, but our system is built on not letting those fires start in the first place and he doesn't really have the legs for it. I think he might be better in that 6 role with two energetic players ahead of him, instead of being required to get up and down the pitch so much in his current role.

As a 6, Thiago will create more problems than he solves, with our current system and players.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18784 on: January 7, 2023, 10:46:04 pm »

Absolutely horrible call. What are you watching  ;D

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18785 on: January 7, 2023, 10:46:04 pm »
I have to agree that Thiago was poor today, and I feel poor for a fair few games. His tackles aren't very good, he gets pressed often and unusually this year he faulters a lot, and he isn't great at stopping counters. It's also a coin flip as to whether he is going to start an attack in transition or going to slow it down to a crawl.

He would work well in a team playing neat passing football ala City, or would do well with strong athletic direct players around him to both cover him and provide an effective outlet, but as it stands he doesn't suit the midfield.

Now at least with that one, it is largely mismatch issue rather a skill issue. He is currently a luxury in a midfield that doesn't work, but he could be a good player in a functioning one (although maybe after this season I feel he should be mor a squad player). Henderson and Fabinho on the other hand just don't have the legs at the moment for midfield.

He was poor against Leicester?

Of course he doesn’t suit the midfield, it’s been horrible, who would suit the midfield when the other two players next to them have been so poor? You name me one midfielder that would shine in a midfield consisting of Fabinho and Henderson right now, I’ll be waiting...

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18786 on: January 7, 2023, 10:46:31 pm »
As a 6, Thiago will create more problems than he solves, with our current system and players.

That's why I said with two energetic players in front of him, which we don't have right now unless we can somehow keep Jones and Keita fit.

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18787 on: January 7, 2023, 10:48:17 pm »
Also we are a bleeding possession side, us averaging the most possession after City makes us a possession side,  City Liverpool Bayern Madrid PSG are all possession sides, if we average more possession than 19/20 teams in the league what do you think that makes us?

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18788 on: January 7, 2023, 10:48:36 pm »
When have not been a possession side, in fact what big team in Europe isn’t a possession side? We’ve averaged the 2nd highest possession in the league for years, I think you seem to think we’re managed by Sean Dyche.

I didn't say it's unimportant, but I think our counter-pressing and off the ball work was what we were the best at. And we've completely lost that. It's not just about 'x' number of tackles that certain players make, it's about the lack of control of space, no player tracking passing lanes, etc.

Okay, in fairness, I get that relies on team work to make sure everyone knows their positions as opposed to one player doing it (i.e. x player goes for the tackle, the other closes off the passing lane). But this is a problem with all the midfielders including Thiago and I don't see any of them suddenly finding their legs again. We need three energetic players, and anyone thinking Thiago is innocent in all this is deluded.

I don't think any of them have a long term future here, aside from Hendo's leadership which we still need, and I'd certainly be looking at all three of them to be phased out into a sub role.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18789 on: January 7, 2023, 10:49:02 pm »
?
He is the only one currently offering what you said. I have no respect for your opinion.
I'm pretty sure nobody does.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18790 on: January 7, 2023, 10:52:20 pm »
The thread should be renamed as "Liverpool's non-existent middle area of the pitch where midfield players are usually found".

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #18791 on: January 7, 2023, 10:53:03 pm »
The thread should be renamed as "Liverpool's non-existent middle area of the pitch where midfield players are usually found".
l

Succinctly put.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18792 on: January 7, 2023, 10:53:50 pm »

Of course he doesn’t suit the midfield, it’s been horrible, who would suit the midfield when the other two players next to them have been so poor? You name me one midfielder that would shine in a midfield consisting of Fabinho and Henderson right now, I’ll be waiting...

In the first half yeah he was, as was the whole midfield. In the second half as we had more possession he was much improved, but it still has to be said in transition we didn't create a lot, and he so far this year hadn't created a lot, which is what he was brought to do.

That's a fair point that no one can suit this midfield, so maybe it is better to say that even if he is better than the other 2, it isn't like he is matching the heights of what would be expected of him.

He is slow and not as physical, but if he had quick and athletic players around him he would be better, that's true. I just don't think it is a case though that he is doing fine let down by everyone else, he's better than the others but wouldn't call this season great from him either

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #18793 on: January 7, 2023, 10:54:58 pm »

Pogba.
But only if he plays against us.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18794 on: January 7, 2023, 10:57:41 pm »
We didn’t sign him after losing Wijnaldum.

Fabinho is fine? He must be fucking dizzy the amount of times he was turned today.
Seems to me he was the clubs idea of a Wijnaldum replacement, signed a year in advance. Makes sense because he’s played the position the most since he left. Terrible and cocky planning.

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18795 on: January 7, 2023, 11:00:00 pm »

Is that what we’re trying to do? Jesus Christ we’re doing it badly - we give the ball away so sloppily and frequently it would be madness if we were trying to do that, especially with our fullbacks always bombing on and our midfield having less legs & mobility than a senior’s exercise class.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #18796 on: January 7, 2023, 11:00:04 pm »
Fuck me what game did some people watch.

Tackles from our midfield tonight.

Hendo 0 again
Fabinho 1
Thiago 6
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #18797 on: January 7, 2023, 11:01:15 pm »
Harsh painful decision to be made....like with Shanks after Watford..and Paisley did as well..players who deserve and have earned their status in our history...but its about going fforwarded..their time is done.....a whole new midfield needed within next 12 months...and one or two others.

A new experience for those who have seen their first great Liverpool team..yhe moment to let go of those players
« Last Edit: January 7, 2023, 11:05:17 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #18798 on: January 7, 2023, 11:02:06 pm »
Not only we need a couple of strong, athletic, energetic midfielders signed asap but I think klopp needs to fucking wake up and try a different system/formation in the middle immediately!
Painful to see how predictable and laborious our midfield has become which is resulting in poor performances/results and teams taking full advantage of it!
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline Captain Kos

• Main Stander
« Reply #18799 on: January 7, 2023, 11:04:30 pm »
Henderson doesn't tackle, can't pass and can't cover ground
Fabinho steps into danger leaving the dangerous player behind him constantly. Always has. He can't move or pass.
Thiago, I love him, but can't cover ground, his football looks more impressive than it really is in all honesty.

I'm sorry. That midfield is done. One step from the opposition and they are away from any of the 3 players. Once that happens, none of the midfielders can recover.

Insert Elliott to any of the above names
I dream of a team of Daniel Aggers!