Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1807224 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #18440 on: September 3, 2022, 10:28:20 pm »
I like this Al
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18441 on: September 3, 2022, 10:28:56 pm »
I like this Al

He's learning from some of your posts  ;)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #18442 on: September 3, 2022, 10:29:35 pm »
He's learning from some of your posts  ;)

You’re not allowed to mention old posts Knight, behave.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18443 on: September 3, 2022, 10:33:09 pm »
Amazing how tactically inept Klopp has a tremendous record against your tactical genius Guardiola. Amazing how Guardiola's only victory's in the last 8 meetings have been when we had no centre backs and when we were on the piss after lifting the League title. 

Jurgen has gone from the manager who got the closest to the quadruple to a tactical muppet in a couple of months according to you.

Guardiola has won four of the last five premier league titles, we have won one - I believe there may be some validity in studying his approach to domestic football, and the techniques he applies to generate highly consistent results, with highly varied squads.

Guardiola has actually won a quadruple (a sextuple in-fact!), and I've never suggested Jurgen was a muppet - I love the man dearly, and have from him learned an immense amount; about both football and life. I merely believe that in our transition to a more "City-Like" system, with the wingers staying higher and wider, with the outside eights occupying the half spaces bilaterally, and with most of our chances being created from settled possession in the opponents half that we've unfortunately neglected a core component of that system, the inverted wingbacks that provide critical transitional protection; with Jurgen and Ljinders inexperience with this system being a potential cause of that oversight, which can of course be easily remedied.

Is that really so objectionable?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18444 on: September 3, 2022, 10:36:23 pm »
The bald fraud has the sovereign wealth fund of an entire nation behind him. Mention that at least why don;t you.  :wave

And footballing ideologies haven't moved on so much in 3 months that makes Jurgen a muppet.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18445 on: September 3, 2022, 10:38:08 pm »
So there’s a bunch of stuff you’re saying which is too far for me (I’m not sure we want to put it down so luck that our LCM has played the way they have) and you’re not helping yourself with the comments about knowing more than Klopp. That said, you’re actually suggesting a reason for our massive dysfunction in midfield and it’d be good to see some alternative explanation for why we’re putting fullbacks and 8s on top of each other and leaving Salah high and dry wide right.

At a guess we have everyone high to win the ball back quickly, but we're looking sluggish across the pitch for whatever reason (old, too many games, bad preseason, something els or a bit of them all)

Trent has spoken about how it's basically everyone presses and Fabinho and the centre backs stay back. Salah stays more wide, Trent goes inside and it makes it 'easier' to press/recover from that position for him instead of from high and wide. With us looking off physically we can't press as well and so we can't sustain pressure and teams are countering on us easier than they have in previous seasons. That's not a good.combination. And some of the players we need to be good to challenge haven't been at their best. All adds up to not being great.

Today had the added issue of Carvalho coming in, getting injured and Klopp seemingly not wanting to really go away from the planned subs. It sound like we didn't work on the shape at all with Carvalho in there let alone Firmino.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2022, 10:40:09 pm by Chris~ »

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #18446 on: September 3, 2022, 10:38:20 pm »
Amazing how tactically inept Klopp has a tremendous record against your tactical genius Guardiola. Amazing how Guardiola's only victory's in the last 8 meetings have been when we had no centre backs and when we were on the piss after lifting the League title. 

Jurgen has gone from the manager who got the closest to the quadruple to a tactical muppet in a couple of months according to you.
I stand by my opinion, that what Klopp has done, is the single greatest feat since Shanks put our club on the map.

I do this will full knowledge and worship of what uncle Bob, Joe, King Kenny, Ged and beloved Rafa have done.

To reverse a drought of 3 decades, change the culture and mindset where the greatest club was hammered into acceptance of playing 2nd fiddle to the Mancs or Arsenal year in year out, to once again make this club a regular in the conversation of titles, and to do it within the club's financial means, is frankly astonishing.

We're going through an injury crisis at the moment, and perhaps yes, the team is collectively hungover from going flat out and falling short at the biggest hurdles last season.

We can perhaps question our lack of transfer activity, maybe link it with FSG's spending, and even make the odd comment about subbing in Milner today, all that is fair game, but to start questioning Klopp or his overall tactics and vision is completely misguided and reactionary. Way, way off the mark.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18447 on: September 3, 2022, 10:38:42 pm »
Guardiola has won four of the last five premier league titles, we have won one - I believe there may be some validity in studying his approach to domestic football, and the techniques he applies to generate highly consistent results, with highly varied squads.

Guardiola has actually won a quadruple (a sextuple in-fact!), and I've never suggested Jurgen was a muppet - I love the man dearly, and have from him learned an immense amount; about both football and life. I merely believe that in our transition to a more "City-Like" system, with the wingers staying higher and wider, with the outside eights occupying the half spaces bilaterally, and with most of our chances being created from settled possession in the opponents half that we've unfortunately neglected a core component of that system, the inverted wingbacks that provide critical transitional protection; with Jurgen and Ljinders inexperience with this system being a potential cause of that oversight, which can of course be easily remedied.

I’m pretty sure that if Klopp also had access to an oil states sovereign  wealth, with no limits, then Pep wouldn’t have even won half of what he has.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18448 on: September 3, 2022, 10:41:12 pm »
The bald fraud has the sovereign wealth fund of an entire nation behind him. Mention that at least why don;t you.  :wave

And footballing ideologies haven't moved on so much in 3 months that makes Jurgen a muppet.

Indeed. Also, that while Guardiola has indeed won 4 out of the last five league titles, two of them have been by a point. Had one or two games gone differently, he would have won two out of five. They didn't of course but the small differences hardly point to some level of geniusness that is so far out of reach of Klopp.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18449 on: September 3, 2022, 10:43:16 pm »
You’re not allowed to mention old posts Knight, behave.

So quick to prove my point.

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #18450 on: September 3, 2022, 10:43:46 pm »

Of the last 4:  We won one at a landslide with 99 points.  They won one very comfortably with 86 points.  The other two they won from us by a single point.

Do you really think that those 2 points across 76 games were due to a superior approach to domestic football, or could it come down to bad refereeing decisions, long range fluke strikes by a CB, a ball not crossing the line by less than 1cm, Aston Villa forgetting how to defend for the last 30 minutes, and other tiny little moments which made all of the difference?  Oh, not to mention the state owned bank account which they are able to dip into whenever they want and the proven FFP violations that went unpunished...

Oh, we've also made 3 CL finals and won one of them in the time that Guardiola has made precisely 0 CL finals in case you missed those.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18451 on: September 3, 2022, 10:46:13 pm »
Of the last 4:  We won one at a landslide with 99 points.  They won one very comfortably with 86 points.  The other two they won from us by a single point.

Do you really think that those 2 points across 76 games were due to a superior approach to domestic football, or could it come down to bad refereeing decisions, long range fluke strikes by a CB, a ball not crossing the line by less than 1cm, Aston Villa forgetting how to defend for the last 30 minutes, and other tiny little moments which made all of the difference?  Oh, not to mention the state owned bank account which they are able to dip into whenever they want and the proven FFP violations that went unpunished...

Oh, we've also made 3 CL finals and won one of them in the time that Guardiola has made precisely 0 CL finals in case you missed those.

They won another with 100 points quite comfortably as well.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #18452 on: September 3, 2022, 10:46:36 pm »

Maybe you should study City's abuse of FFP regulations, maybe you will understand why City have won 4 of the last 5 Premier League titles.

The brutal truth is that Klopp leads Guardiola 10 to 8 in head to head wins with 5 draws. That is despite Guardiola having a massive financial advantage at all the clubs he has managed. The best bit though is attempting to judge Klopp's system for this season without the benefit of a functioning midfield.

Where you lose me though is with the talk of City playing with inverted full backs. How does that work with right footed Kyle Walker playing at right back. You could argue that he tucks in but then so does Trent.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18453 on: September 3, 2022, 10:48:48 pm »
I’m pretty sure that if Klopp also had access to an oil states sovereign  wealth, with no limits, then Pep wouldn’t have even won half of what he has.

The sovereign wealth fund have almost infinite supplies at their disposal, they could hire any manager in the world to manage their club.

They chose Pep, have kept him for six years, and will no doubt be desperate to renew his contract. I think that speaks volumes.

He produced incredibly consistent domestic results in both Spain and Germany, he had no sovereign wealth fund then.

This isn't a matter of Klopp vs Pep, both have achieved outstanding things, and I doubt either could have emulated the success of the other, however we've entered a dominion of football where Guardiola is the leading expert, he's spent the longest time trying to generate a consistent solution to this problem, and has accumulated the scar tissue over time to prove it.

I think in this specific circumstance, I think he understands something that we haven't quite yet fully grasped, and we would be stronger and more consistent if we emulated his approach.

We've copied the high and wide wingers, copied the attacking eights, I feel we should copy the inverted full backs as well, we've seen at times partial implementation with Trent, I would like us go the whole way.

Seriously, we need to put the tribalism aside, and accept that their may be strong ideas on the "other" side.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2022, 10:51:32 pm by DefJack »

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #18454 on: September 3, 2022, 10:52:39 pm »
The sovereign wealth fund have almost infinite supplies at their disposal, they could hire any manager in the world to manage their club.

They chose Pep, have kept him for six years, and will no doubt be desperate to renew his contract. I think that speaks volumes.

He produced incredibly consistent domestic results in both Spain and Germany, he had no sovereign wealth fund then.

This isn't a matter of Klopp vs Pep, both have achieved outstanding things, and I doubt either could have emulated the success of the other, however we've entered a dominion of football where Guardiola is the leading expert, he's spent the longest time trying to generate a consistent solution to this problem, and has accumulated the scar tissue over time to prove it.

I think in this specific circumstance, I think he understands something that we haven't quite yet fully grasped, and we would be stronger and more consistent if we emulated his approach.

We've copied the high and wide wingers, copied the attacking eights, I feel we should copy the inverted full backs as well, we've seen at times partial implementation with Trent, I would like us go the whole way.

Seriously, we need to put the tribalism aside, and accept that their may be strong ideas on the "other" side.

Fuck me are you really trying to paint Barca and Bayern as paupers ?

If Guardiola is the leading expert then why is he 8 v 10 in wins against Klopp and why does he shit the bed in the CL season in season out.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #18455 on: September 3, 2022, 10:53:15 pm »

Why has this super coach failed to win the CL with City with these superior coaching methods I wonder.

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #18456 on: September 3, 2022, 10:55:28 pm »
They won another with 100 points quite comfortably as well.

Not in the last 4 they didn't.  Their 100 point season was while Klopp's team was still a work in progress as funnily enough he didn't have the luxury of inheriting a squad containing Kompany, De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero, Fernandinho, Sterling, etc etc.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18457 on: September 3, 2022, 10:55:44 pm »

Bayern Munich also have a massive financial advantage over every other team in Germany.
Barcelona, Pep inherited Messi and several other world class players, and also had a massive financial advantage over all but one of his Rivals but was on par with them.

Your reply did not answer my point. You’re saying Pep is the greatest manger that has ever lived, however, if he did not have the wealth of Abu Dhabi to dip into whenever he wants, he would not have won half of what he has. If roles were reversed and Pep had the money available to Klopp and vice versa then Pep would likely have won nothing at all in England.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18458 on: September 3, 2022, 10:56:10 pm »
Don't be so thin skinned. I called you out for suggesting that someone who had a different opinion to you on FSG belonged on a right wing social media network.

Weird that you still think thats not cuntish behaviour to be honest, and you've just validated I was right to take issue with you since you said yourself there that it can be called out

The way you're describing your own posting is making it seem you think you're doing a public service by being abusive if someone holds a subjectively bad opinion. You're not

And I told you that wasn't his first asshole post - in fact that poster had been making same kind of dickhead post the last several days. You clearly didn't look at his posting history.

So if me telling him to go post on Twitter is being cuntish behavior in your eyes that doesn't really matter does it? It's a forum after all and I'm just expressing my opinion as you so happily have been saying I should let the others do.  :boring

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #18459 on: September 3, 2022, 10:58:00 pm »
I'll give credit for what Pep had done at Barca, but ever after he's taken the easiest road at every turn. Same with Mourinho, success at Porto, then go to where the chequebook was or the most dominant team in the league thereafter.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18460 on: September 3, 2022, 10:58:35 pm »
Al that is so poor. No effort to engage with the substance of the argument. No effort to articulate your opponent's argument in terms they themselves would accept.
At least he didn't tell them to go post on right wing social media websites!! That would have been beyond the pale.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18461 on: September 3, 2022, 10:58:45 pm »
Not in the last 4 they didn't.  Their 100 point season was while Klopp's team was still a work in progress as funnily enough he didn't have the luxury of inheriting a squad containing Kompany, De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero, Fernandinho, Sterling, etc etc.

Sorry i thought you meant their last 4 titles.

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18462 on: September 3, 2022, 11:00:55 pm »

No, but are you seriously suggesting that we've decided to adopt an approach pioneered by Guardiola but that our coaches - who already beat Man City this season and won trophies last season, not a decade ago, are not able to grasp some basic principles of the system they are trying to implement, but that you are? Isn't that extremely unlikely to be the correct interpretation? Essentially, they don't understand what they are trying to do...

And by the way, "how it sounds" is a key part of persuading and educating people, if that is what you are attempting. Abrasiveness is a choice, and not some signifier of a commitment to truth.

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18463 on: September 3, 2022, 11:04:53 pm »
Why has this super coach failed to win the CL with City with these superior coaching methods I wonder.

Because he tunes his teams for control, and acquires the personnel that best suit that vision.

It works tremendously in domestic football, where I believe we should emulate his approach.

It's less viable in continental games, because the standard required to consistently control games against tough European opposition is practically impossible to reach. In addition, he's been managing a "club" sans heart; yet loaded with ill gotten cash, where unlike our situation the outcome of key CL matches is not pressing in terms of their financial and competitive future. The CL is practically irrelevant to them financially, to us it's critical.

Guardiola's approach has been incredibly successful in finals, which are frequently slower affairs on neutral ground. His difficulty has been in reaching them.

Klopp's approach has been tremendously successful in reaching finals, utilising the passion of the crowd to his advantage, but could you really suggest that it's been conducive to winning them?

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18464 on: September 3, 2022, 11:05:16 pm »
Think we might see a midfield of Fabinho, Arthur and Thiago against Napoli.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18465 on: September 3, 2022, 11:06:10 pm »
Think we might see a midfield of Fabinho, Arthur and Thiago against Napoli.

don't think Thiago will be fit at that point. He will just return to training Monday.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18466 on: September 3, 2022, 11:07:14 pm »
I honestly don't care how it sounds, I can only comment upon what I see.

Alex Ferguson was an outstanding manager, achieving success in multiple countries, over multiple decades, dominating the Premier League and English football in a manner hitherto thought impossible, and amassing a trophy haul it may yet prove impossible to supersede.

He retired with barely any comprehension of the principles that guided the revolution that Guardiola was starting with Barcelona. In the 2011 CL final he started a flat 4-4-2 with no pressing structure, no engagement defensively from the two strikers, and no real idea of how to effectively build up from the goalkeeper - to be plain, he was still playing football from the 1990's; the result being one of the most famous humiliations in the history of football.

Arsene Wenger revolutionised English football; bringing a continental style of football and a modern sense of professionalism to these shores. He failed to adapt however, and was still playing 1990's football in 2018.

He was a legend, he didn't adapt, he became hated, he was sacked.

Jose Mourinho was seen by many as a tactical visionary a decade ago, he's seen by many as a tactical dinosaur today. I doubt that any Liverpool fan would willingly accept his appointment as Klopp's successor. In 2010? We would have clamoured for him.

It isn't arrogant to suggest a great manager hasn't quite kept up with the latest developments, it's arrogant to suggest that cannot happen.

After seeing your first post today, I couldn 't be bothered reading any more of  your self-congratulatory bullshit, mainly because you're so obviously in love with the sound of your own keyboard.

I think you're already well-positioned to win Most Pompous RAWK Poster of the Year.  well done.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #18467 on: September 3, 2022, 11:10:22 pm »
He's just getting jumped in on my a bunch of people with meaningless one liners that don't address anything to do with the football related stuff Jack has raised.

Sort of the forum equivalent of a crowd of adults going 'youre shit ahhhhhhh' at the keeper.

The guy starts off talking about how completely different midfielders are freelancing in the exact same way on their own. It’s insulting to anybody to with half a brain and then it gets worse from there. The guy needs a ban in my opinion.

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #18468 on: September 3, 2022, 11:11:06 pm »
Because he tunes his teams for control, and acquires the personnel that best suit that vision.

It works tremendously in domestic football, where I believe we should emulate his approach.

It's less viable in continental games, because the standard required to consistently control games against tough European opposition is practically impossible to reach. In addition, he's been managing a "club" sans heart; yet loaded with ill gotten cash, where unlike our situation the outcome of key CL matches is not pressing in terms of their financial and competitive future. The CL is practically irrelevant to them financially, to us it's critical.

Guardiola's approach has been incredibly successful in finals, which are frequently slower affairs on neutral ground. His difficulty has been in reaching them.

Klopp's approach has been tremendously successful in reaching finals, utilising the passion of the crowd to his advantage, but could you really suggest that it's been conducive to winning them?

Stop talking shit. He has at his disposal the best talent in the world because of the endless funds available to him so what tough opposition does he face in Europe?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18469 on: September 3, 2022, 11:11:14 pm »
Even PoP wasn't anywhere this smug. Fuckin' Hell! I'm out. 

You apply for the next managerial position of LFC when the time comes.  :wave

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18470 on: September 3, 2022, 11:13:11 pm »
The guy starts off talking about how completely different midfielders are freelancing in the exact same way on their own. It’s insulting to anybody to with half a brain and then it gets worse from there. The guy needs a ban in my opinion.

Yeah that’s pretty dumb. But then I keep coming back to what’s actually happening on the pitch right now. So for example, why when Milner played LCM against Utd did he basically take a free role and appear all over the pitch? That was suicide. And yet there he was. Popping up all over the shop without the legs to get back to where we needed him to be. Was he under instruction to do that? And if so, why? In what world would that be a good idea?

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18471 on: September 3, 2022, 11:16:41 pm »
don't think Thiago will be fit at that point. He will just return to training Monday.

We don’t half miss him. Hope he stays fit. Interested to see how Arthur plays too he seems abit of a similar player too.

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18472 on: September 3, 2022, 11:17:43 pm »
No, but are you seriously suggesting that we've decided to adopt an approach pioneered by Guardiola but that our coaches - who already beat Man City this season and won trophies last season, not a decade ago, are not able to grasp some basic principles of the system they are trying to implement, but that you are? Isn't that extremely unlikely to be the correct interpretation? Essentially, they don't understand what they are trying to do...

And by the way, "how it sounds" is a key part of persuading and educating people, if that is what you are attempting. Abrasiveness is a choice, and not some signifier of a commitment to truth.

I'm suggesting that we're walking the same path Guardiola walked, and making the same mistakes he likely made, I'm suggesting that the choice exists to skip to the end of the path, for the path is by now well lit.

I think mistakes are being made, have offered suggestions as to why, and have offered suggestions regarding their redress.

Neither truth nor nature care for the provenance of an idea, nor should you.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #18473 on: September 3, 2022, 11:20:46 pm »
Yeah that’s pretty dumb. But then I keep coming back to what’s actually happening on the pitch right now. So for example, why when Milner played LCM against Utd did he basically take a free role and appear all over the pitch? That was suicide. And yet there he was. Popping up all over the shop without the legs to get back to where we needed him to be. Was he under instruction to do that? And if so, why? In what world would that be a good idea?

Bobby was coming way deep and then Milner was running beyond him to fill the space, would then float from there. I think they thought ManU was going to play just as they had in the previous 2 games but then that didn’t happen. It certainly was a mistake.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #18474 on: September 3, 2022, 11:21:49 pm »
I'm suggesting that we're walking the same path Guardiola walked, and making the same mistakes he likely made, I'm suggesting that the choice exists to skip to the end of the path, for the path is by now well lit.

I think mistakes are being made, have offered suggestions as to why, and have offered suggestions regarding their redress.

Neither truth nor nature care for the provenance of an idea, nor should you.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18475 on: September 3, 2022, 11:22:03 pm »
can someone remind me how to put a poster on Ignore, please?

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18476 on: September 3, 2022, 11:24:37 pm »

You appear to appreciate straight talking....equally you appear to believe Pep is competitively a notch or two above Jurgen and our coaching team.....which by the way is a perfectly acceptable suggestion to make, as Pep has been super successful wherever he has been.

But can I ask you this, would you prefer him as our manager? As a consequence of the 'apparent' mistakes Jurgen and his team are making, it certainly appears that way....

Hammer your colours to the mast....it sounds like you want us to replicate Pep and his teams, I personally would rather ride the rollercoaster take the highs with the lows, take the man who reflects the values of this great club and also trophies along the way.....

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18477 on: September 3, 2022, 11:26:09 pm »

Hardly, I'm suggesting that Wijnaldum and Thiago both simply played their natural games, and that Jones emulated their approach.

Keita's approach as been difficult to pin down to say the least, if anyone could illuminate me with some examples of his approach in one respect or the other I would be much obliged.

Milner and Carvalho have both clearly been playing the role sans any instruction to provide defensive cover, my argument implies this merely suggests that each player has been free to interpret the role as they please, and that the assumed defensive nature of the LCM role is not in-fact a tactical instruction as thought.

I would consider this an oversight given the very offensive nature of our LB's. You can feel free to contest that if you wish.

What would you have me banned for? Heresy? Is this 2022 or 16th century Italy? I assure you the Earth truly does orbit the Sun Señor....

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18478 on: September 3, 2022, 11:27:40 pm »

Keeping players high and wide is nothing new.  Having attacking players occupy the half spaces isn't anything new.  What Guardiola is doing has been done before.  Cruyff did it before him and Michels did it before him. 

Our team doesn't play like City because Klopp doesn't see the game the same exact way that Guardiola does.  That's totally fine.  There's more then one way to play football and be successful. 

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #18479 on: September 3, 2022, 11:27:46 pm »
Peps achievements at Bayern are like me playing penos against my 8 year old. At no point should his success over there count towards anything he's done previously - it's a fucking sham league. SPL on steroids.

His Barca teams had probably 6/7 or more absolute best players in the world at their prime which he inherited.

His city teams have been immense but thats what happens when you can spend a countries sovereign wealth on full backs alone.

My only regret for Jurgen if I have any and I have barely zero, is that he's came to us under an ownership model that thinks it's smarter than everyone else and is a bit too cute for its own liking. He said it the other day "I'd like to take a few more risks". FSG are risk adverse as we are run extremely prudently, like a business but one going through tumultuous times. It's as if FSG are seeing some big headwind coming from somewhere and are holding off, waiting for it to arrive....until its too late and we get passed by and it already might be. Jurgen at Barca, Bayern and City at the same time as Pep, win more than Pep.

Im actually really looking forward to the next few years under Klopp as we are in dire need of an overhaul and it will show whether these fucking owners really want to win or not. I'd expect Klopp to leave before his contract is out if they continue to be so frugal given the competition we face every week.