Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 441805 times)

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #520 on: October 7, 2019, 01:11:47 am »
He's 42 and I just wonder about the wear & tear on him, especially if he has another MMA fight. Also I get the feeling he will decline very quickly (though I don't know when), one month he'll look fantastic as he does now and 3 months later he'll wrestle like how Torres played the week after we sold him to Chelsea. I don't think Vince wants a Brock that can't go in the same way NJPW keeps all their old legendary guys on the card in curtain-jerkers.

Financially... apparently he's on a 12 month deal that expires at Mania-time. Considering he's probably the most valuable guy in the business that's quite smart of him to just keep doing rolling year-long deals with the highest bidder and keep getting a rise.

Regarding Cain... It had been rumoured for a while that he would go to AEW, as there was a lot of signs and also he worked with AAA who have a talent-share deal with AEW. So thats a reasonable get for WWE. I'm pretty sure he had been to the Performance Centre as a freelancer to learn the basics.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2019, 01:13:18 am by OsirisMVZ »

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: October 7, 2019, 03:08:09 am »
He shows up, suplexes people, and leaves, he can do that for a few years yet.

To me knowledge he's properly retired from MMA. Felt like he tried to clean up his system and didn't like the results.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: October 7, 2019, 06:37:36 am »
Paul Heyman Is A Wrestling Genius
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #523 on: October 7, 2019, 09:59:58 am »
Sounds like that last match was a bit of a disaster, is Heyman actually booking the PPVs?  That terrible red lighting had Bucky Beaver written all over it.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2019, 10:33:03 am by tubby »
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #524 on: October 7, 2019, 10:16:53 am »
A DQ in a cell match is pretty unique  ;D

Mankind really should have been DQ’d when he got them tacks out, just no need for it.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #525 on: October 7, 2019, 10:21:47 am »
I didn't catch the reaction after AEW (not on here, just in general).

I sat through it but it didn't really give us much did it? Good matches and no promos isn't enough to keep my interest. Hopefully they were just displaying talent in their first show.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #526 on: October 7, 2019, 10:29:38 am »
That terrible red lightning had Bucky Beaver written all over it.

Kevin Dunns must have got a semi when Smackdown was getting FOX production values...

Jim Cornette's impression of him is incredible

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #527 on: October 7, 2019, 10:39:02 am »
I didn't catch the reaction after AEW (not on here, just in general).

I sat through it but it didn't really give us much did it? Good matches and no promos isn't enough to keep my interest. Hopefully they were just displaying talent in their first show.

It was laying the groundwork a but I felt.

Wanted to showcase Sammy so that him joining the heel stable at the end was more significant.

Had the woman's title match which sets the base as now there is a champion.

Main Event of course had the two angles of Jericho's stable and Moxley attacking Omega.

Interestingly the biggest drop off in interest was PAC vs Page which was just a pure wrestling match to put PAC over, but no real link off.

I left with enough threads to keep my interest, and I think we will get more promo's/interviews now as well. I could do without each show starting with a long drawn out 20 minute in ring promo ala WWE though. You can do enough with interview packages I think

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #528 on: October 7, 2019, 10:54:31 am »
It was laying the groundwork a but I felt.

Wanted to showcase Sammy so that him joining the heel stable at the end was more significant.

Had the woman's title match which sets the base as now there is a champion.

Main Event of course had the two angles of Jericho's stable and Moxley attacking Omega.

Interestingly the biggest drop off in interest was PAC vs Page which was just a pure wrestling match to put PAC over, but no real link off.

I left with enough threads to keep my interest, and I think we will get more promo's/interviews now as well. I could do without each show starting with a long drawn out 20 minute in ring promo ala WWE though. You can do enough with interview packages I think

It just felt a little chaotic, as if it was more heels attacking face for no reason. But ye, expect it will be explained in the next episode. I was viewing it from my missus point of view, who doesn't know many of these guys and wants some kind of insight into what they are doing or who they are.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #529 on: October 7, 2019, 01:42:40 pm »
Good matches and no promos isn't enough to keep my interest. Hopefully they were just displaying talent in their first show.

Did you watch the ITV broadcast? They cut the entire MJF/Cutler match, which had a lot of mic work from MJF on entry, and they cut the Jay & Silent Bob interview that was briefly interrupted by Jack Evans/Angelico and then Private Party.

I do think they need a bit more mic stuff though. There are some post-event 'press conferences' available online, I saw (again) MJF who was great, but stuff like that should be a greater part of the broadcast. Like when Okerlund would stick a mic in Hogan's face... there's a reason "Let me tell you something Mean Gene" is a wrestling trope!

On the other hand, what exactly was the point of Britt Baker being at the comms position during the womens title match? Virtually silent the whole time, and failed to engage with any of the feed lines the regulars gave her. Maybe the problem they have is that, with a roster of people mostly pulled from the independent circuit, many of them aren't used to, or aren't confident of, cutting a promo on TV?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #530 on: October 7, 2019, 01:55:46 pm »
Now it makes sense.  I was sure I'd read about MJF on the show and then he wasn't in the ITV version at all.  There were odd bits where the audio went really quiet too, which I guess was advertising space when it was shown in the US?

Britt Baker was awful on comms, just awful.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: October 7, 2019, 03:50:38 pm »
Now it makes sense.  I was sure I'd read about MJF on the show and then he wasn't in the ITV version at all.  There were odd bits where the audio went really quiet too, which I guess was advertising space when it was shown in the US?

Might have been fans cursing too, they did the same thing for Smackdown on Fox.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #532 on: October 7, 2019, 04:05:10 pm »
Might have been fans cursing too, they did the same thing for Smackdown on Fox.

I dunno, they kept the bit where JR said shit and then explained how he'd just said shit.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #533 on: October 7, 2019, 05:11:47 pm »

I watched the full 2 hour broadcast that somehow wasn't a TV rip as it didn't have any ad breaks and there were a few several minute spells where they cut to a long shot of the arena and had no comms so I would assume that's where the ads were supposed to be. It was quite interesting actually seeing the activity between matches!

There was clearly one of those just after Pac came to the ring because he spent a full 2-3 minutes walking a circuit of the fans at ringside with nobody saying anything!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: October 7, 2019, 11:31:17 pm »
It just felt a little chaotic, as if it was more heels attacking face for no reason. But ye, expect it will be explained in the next episode. I was viewing it from my missus point of view, who doesn't know many of these guys and wants some kind of insight into what they are doing or who they are.

I think that was the point, WWE is so overproduced and sterile so a bit of mayhem goes a long way in a competitive product.

I watched the full 2 hour broadcast that somehow wasn't a TV rip as it didn't have any ad breaks and there were a few several minute spells where they cut to a long shot of the arena and had no comms so I would assume that's where the ads were supposed to be. It was quite interesting actually seeing the activity between matches!

Yep I ended up with the same feed. I enjoyed watching it like that actually, you get to absorb in the atmosphere without a commentator/announcer talking over it every other second.

I used to work for DAZN who show WWE stuff in Japan and Germany so I would get the same type of transmission signal for Raw and Smackdown. It'd be funny listening to Cole and the gang take all the abuse from Vince during the commercial breaks when he fills them in on what they should or didn't say.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #535 on: October 8, 2019, 11:09:01 am »
HIAC - Becky v Banks match was actually pretty good so was the Harper/Rowan v Reigns/Bryan. Least these two have had story lines trying to build a feud. Both were better than I was expecting. Skipped most of the PPV to watch the Fiend v Rollins.

What a bullshit ending for the main event. However, I haven't seen a crowd that upset by it for a long while, so it could actually work long term.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: October 8, 2019, 12:24:02 pm »
Fair play to Tyson Fury. Knows he hasn't got a fight til 2020 at least. So gets paid Anthony Joshua money to play fight for 1 night with Stroman in Saudi Arabia for Crown Jewel. No risk to his health or his Boxing career whilst staying in the media and keeping relevant (most importantly in the US market which is his weak selling point).

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: October 8, 2019, 06:07:34 pm »
Ugh, Saudi Arabia again. They always pull out the stops for them, most of them won't even know who Tyson Fury is.

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: October 9, 2019, 12:42:12 pm »
Fair play to Tyson Fury. Knows he hasn't got a fight til 2020 at least. So gets paid Anthony Joshua money to play fight for 1 night with Stroman in Saudi Arabia for Crown Jewel. No risk to his health or his Boxing career whilst staying in the media and keeping relevant (most importantly in the US market which is his weak selling point).

Be interesting to see where they actually go with this. Surely neither can win or lose cleanly? Fury's punches during the segment didn't even look good so god knows how bad the match will actually be.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: October 9, 2019, 10:10:57 pm »
Anyone been to any of the Inside Ropes live shows? I went to one with Bret Hart this evening.

He struggled when someone asked him about the Hall of Fame speech, couldn't talk for a couple of minutes. I think the combination of the fan invading and wanting to give Anvil a proper send off, he's still finding it hard to deal with.

I don't know if I would swap positions with Bret. He hit the heights but has suffered so many personal (and physical) losses, you wouldn't wish it on anyone.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: October 9, 2019, 10:20:02 pm »
Going to AEW in Boston today, should be a fun show.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: October 10, 2019, 12:42:35 am »
Going to AEW in Boston today, should be a fun show.

Probably too late but make sure you wear deodorant, and be careful of the AEW pants-shitter. He's still out there.

Waiting.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: October 10, 2019, 11:13:14 am »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #543 on: October 10, 2019, 11:44:27 am »
Anyone been to any of the Inside Ropes live shows? I went to one with Bret Hart this evening.

He struggled when someone asked him about the Hall of Fame speech, couldn't talk for a couple of minutes. I think the combination of the fan invading and wanting to give Anvil a proper send off, he's still finding it hard to deal with.

I don't know if I would swap positions with Bret. He hit the heights but has suffered so many personal (and physical) losses, you wouldn't wish it on anyone.
yeah i see he was doing a few around Ireland and Northern Ireland

I saw some interview he did with Shawn Michaels, really showed how much things get to him. I think it was when he asked what it meant for him and Shawn to set differences aside he start crying.

He has been through a lot family wise and professional wise as well as health wise.

Fantastic worker, he could have a 5 star match even if he was in a triple threat with a mop and bucket
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: October 10, 2019, 02:43:23 pm »
God its great hearing JR back on commentary.

Bret Hart will always be The Best There Is, the Best There Was, the Best There Ever Will Be.

Don't think he ever got behind the idea of Sports Entertainment even though the screwjob was the biggest catalyst for the change into Sports Entertainment. Without that we would never have gotten the Mr McMahon character, DX, Monday night wars etc.

Lot of what if's with him and his family. Mostly around the move to WCW, Owen, injuries and stroke.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: October 10, 2019, 03:55:40 pm »
God its great hearing JR back on commentary.

Bret Hart will always be The Best There Is, the Best There Was, the Best There Ever Will Be.

Don't think he ever got behind the idea of Sports Entertainment even though the screwjob was the biggest catalyst for the change into Sports Entertainment. Without that we would never have gotten the Mr McMahon character, DX, Monday night wars etc.

Lot of what if's with him and his family. Mostly around the move to WCW, Owen, injuries and stroke.

Stampede was sports entertainment for a long time, there's a few really good books about it if you ever have the time. I think it was more that he got old and the business passed him by a little. That said, his final heel run in WWE was unreal.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: October 11, 2019, 12:47:33 am »
This week, AEW did 1.14m, NXT was 790k. I won't be coming in here every week posting ratings now unless there's a big upswing for NXT because that will be newsworthy. Both shows did well to retain so much of their audience from last week to be honest. That 1m for AEW will probably be a magical number that affects them financially if they ever go under it (sponsors, advertisers etc).

Apparently there was a freak result in Baseball last night which caused the evening recap show to have crazily high ratings (it was the 3rd most watched show of the entire night!). Think of it as a TV version of us all going to ArsenalFanTV after they get pumped in a game to watch the fallout ;D it ate up everything. Will be interesting seeing these ratings numbers once MLB ends and NBA begins, but then we're being seasonally selective, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm also pretty interested in seeing how Week 2 of Smackdown on Fox does without any of the attractions they advertised for it last week. I've come into the Wrestling thread here for years moaning about awful Raw ratings but we didn't really have any context due to the lack of direct competition, now we do.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 12:50:48 am by OsirisMVZ »

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: October 11, 2019, 01:57:18 am »
This week, AEW did 1.14m, NXT was 790k. I won't be coming in here every week posting ratings now unless there's a big upswing for NXT because that will be newsworthy. Both shows did well to retain so much of their audience from last week to be honest. That 1m for AEW will probably be a magical number that affects them financially if they ever go under it (sponsors, advertisers etc).

Apparently there was a freak result in Baseball last night which caused the evening recap show to have crazily high ratings (it was the 3rd most watched show of the entire night!). Think of it as a TV version of us all going to ArsenalFanTV after they get pumped in a game to watch the fallout ;D it ate up everything. Will be interesting seeing these ratings numbers once MLB ends and NBA begins, but then we're being seasonally selective, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm also pretty interested in seeing how Week 2 of Smackdown on Fox does without any of the attractions they advertised for it last week. I've come into the Wrestling thread here for years moaning about awful Raw ratings but we didn't really have any context due to the lack of direct competition, now we do.

Who's the competition? Surely you don't mean AEW?

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #548 on: October 11, 2019, 10:21:12 am »
Nice Promo from Jericho, the stable they've put together for him has a good range of wrestlers.  The tag opener was a typical Bucks match but really fun and that was a pretty hefty rub they gave to Private Party.

They're also using Orange Cassidy well at the moment, he keeps getting huge pops for doing nothing.  Jimmy Havoc is garbage, get him off my TV.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: October 11, 2019, 01:27:58 pm »
Nice Promo from Jericho, the stable they've put together for him has a good range of wrestlers.  The tag opener was a typical Bucks match but really fun and that was a pretty hefty rub they gave to Private Party.

They're also using Orange Cassidy well at the moment, he keeps getting huge pops for doing nothing.  Jimmy Havoc is garbage, get him off my TV.

Apparently there is an amazing Kenny Omega v Joey Janela match theyve kept for the YouTube Dark thing. Strange they had Jimmy Havoc on the main show then especially when weve just seen Kenny mostly getting beat and or beat up recently (im assuming he won). Maybe just to build up Darby Allen?

And strange that Lucha Bros have hardly featured in the 1st 2 episodes. Those guys are pure gold.
Football is a lie

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #550 on: October 11, 2019, 01:38:07 pm »
Apparently there is an amazing Kenny Omega v Joey Janela match theyve kept for the YouTube Dark thing. Strange they had Jimmy Havoc on the main show then especially when weve just seen Kenny mostly getting beat and or beat up recently (im assuming he won). Maybe just to build up Darby Allen?

And strange that Lucha Bros have hardly featured in the 1st 2 episodes. Those guys are pure gold.

I think with Kenny they're trying not to push him too hard at the start because that's the obvious play.  He's the best singles wrestler on the roster and I imagine they're going to have some sort of storyline about him having to work his way back up through the ranks to get to the title.  AEW Dark is on YouTube now so the Janela match should be available soon.

Lucha Bros will surely win the tag tournament.

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: October 12, 2019, 12:57:23 pm »
Loved Jericho's dig at the WWE creative team around Jake Hager and the "We the People"
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: October 12, 2019, 03:51:31 pm »
Loved Jericho's dig at the WWE creative team around Jake Hager and the "We the People"

I didn't get it. Like it's about the only time Swagger has ever been over, his IRL political beliefs are the same as his character's, and they chant it at his MMA shows.

Be like saying the same thing every time Cody mentions his dad.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: October 12, 2019, 06:02:51 pm »

Smackdown lost 25% of it's viewers in one week. Down to a 2.9 rating

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: October 13, 2019, 12:24:40 am »
Smackdown lost 25% of it's viewers in one week. Down to a 2.9 rating
I saw that, they lost a million viewers across a week and yet last night's show was still billed as something special as it was night 1 of a draft! They're clueless and will bring back someone like Goldberg, Undertaker, or have another Flair/Hogan segment next week. Relying on guys from the 80s/90s still.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: October 13, 2019, 12:36:19 am »
You guys are either deliberately obtuse or gleeefully clueless about this stuff.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: October 13, 2019, 12:59:01 am »
You guys are either deliberately obtuse or gleeefully clueless about this stuff.
Claus. Discuss the points in this article: https://deadspin.com/seriously-what-the-hell-is-wwe-even-doing-right-now-1838962354

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: October 13, 2019, 02:20:43 am »
Claus. Discuss the points in this article: https://deadspin.com/seriously-what-the-hell-is-wwe-even-doing-right-now-1838962354

Yeah, Bix is a fucking parasite who should be incinerated and his remains dissolved in acid.

But I was talking about tv ratings, nobody seems to have a fucking clue what they're talking about in here.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline mgs88

• Main Stander
« Reply #558 on: October 13, 2019, 07:42:08 am »
Before this discussion gets going can we keep it civil before we lose another thread?

On another note I watched dynamite last night. Solid second episode and I felt like a kid watching wrestling again. It just seems more fun to me than wwe has in a long time.  Just my opinion of course.

Say what you want about Jerichos body and wrestling these days (both are god awful) but he can still cut one hell of a promo.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: October 13, 2019, 08:06:56 am »
Before this discussion gets going can we keep it civil before we lose another thread?

It's just so disingenuous. WWE losing 25% of it's viewers is a catastrophe but AEW doing roughly the same drop off is fine?

The irony is: both are fine. The tv landscape has changed so much in the last few years that if/when AEW drops below a million viewers...it'll still be a good number and TNT will be very happy with it. AEW isn't competing with WWE, they're competing with the show they replaced. Unless their viewership drops to a number below the show it replaced (a quick search says 678k or so), they'll be safe - especially if TNT aren't paying for the tv rights. And even then, TNT would probably rather have a live show at 650k than a pre-recorded one at 678.

So the reality is: USA is happy with RAW, FOX is happy with SmackDown and TNT is happy with AEW. NXT might get in trouble, but USA loves WWE so much they'd probably give it way more leeway than any traditional show.

If I were an AEW fan I'd be more mad that after complaining about old guys and MMA fighters for years, I'm stuck watching old guys and an MMA fighter by week two. Smacks of TNA to me.

Hey Claus, fuck off.