Author Topic: Southampton  (Read 63603 times)

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Southampton
« Reply #320 on: December 3, 2018, 06:00:36 pm »
The only thing Southampton have is a lot of good midfielders who can press.  So what does Hughes do?  Get them to stop pressing and then they do nothing good.  Hasenhuttl would certainly turn that around quick.  Don't think it will help them score goals but they should be a lot harder to beat than Hughes has made them.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #321 on: December 3, 2018, 06:05:47 pm »
The only thing Southampton have is a lot of good midfielders who can press.  So what does Hughes do?  Get them to stop pressing and then they do nothing good.  Hasenhuttl would certainly turn that around quick.  Don't think it will help them score goals but they should be a lot harder to beat than Hughes has made them.

If there's one benefit to a pressing game, it's that it creates chances out of nothing. If they can find someone to convert those chances, they would do okay with a pressing-oriented manager.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: December 3, 2018, 06:21:19 pm »

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: December 3, 2018, 07:58:45 pm »
Getting Hasenhuttl would be quite the shrewd appointment, arguably on the same level as when they got Pochettino.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: December 3, 2018, 08:08:27 pm »
For relegation zone teams, not winning vs United at home is the new ground for sacking.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #325 on: December 3, 2018, 08:15:57 pm »
He would be an Austrian coach who left RB Leipzig at the end of the last season after a couple really good seasons. Did wonders with FC Ingolstadt before that.

Did his coaching badges with Kloppo too  ;D

Another Kloppo mate, I like that. Could be a good appointment for them.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: December 3, 2018, 08:32:33 pm »
If there's one benefit to a pressing game, it's that it creates chances out of nothing. If they can find someone to convert those chances, they would do okay with a pressing-oriented manager.

I think as I watch and read more and more I find this an interesting conundrum in that can a system make a player more than what they are?  When it comes to goal scoring I honestly don't think it can.  I understand Klopp's point of view that the press is the best playmaker but let's not forget it was Marco Rues, Robert Lewandowski, Aubameyang and a pre-Bayern Goetze who were the main goal scorers.  It couldn't make Immobile and Adriam Ramos good goal scorers nor turn Goetze back into one.

While I think a manager that can play to their roster can make Southampton a lot better than they are, I don't see it adding goals.  Though in looking at the stats they should be 11-14th range so there's that as well.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #327 on: December 3, 2018, 08:51:42 pm »
I think as I watch and read more and more I find this an interesting conundrum in that can a system make a player more than what they are?  When it comes to goal scoring I honestly don't think it can.  I understand Klopp's point of view that the press is the best playmaker but let's not forget it was Marco Rues, Robert Lewandowski, Aubameyang and a pre-Bayern Goetze who were the main goal scorers.  It couldn't make Immobile and Adriam Ramos good goal scorers nor turn Goetze back into one.

While I think a manager that can play to their roster can make Southampton a lot better than they are, I don't see it adding goals.  Though in looking at the stats they should be 11-14th range so there's that as well.

It doesn't create goalscorers, but it does create more chances than sitting back and defending and hoping to nick one on the counter (without having speed and creativity up top). So they would increase their goals by volume of chances, although the conversion rates would obviously be limited to who they have up front.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #328 on: December 3, 2018, 09:01:38 pm »
It doesn't create goalscorers, but it does create more chances than sitting back and defending and hoping to nick one on the counter (without having speed and creativity up top). So they would increase their goals by volume of chances, although the conversion rates would obviously be limited to who they have up front.

Ings - always injured
Austin - Donkey
Long - Worse than Donkey
Gabbiadini - Half decent

Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: December 3, 2018, 09:13:28 pm »
Ings - always injured
Austin - Donkey
Long - Worse than Donkey
Gabbiadini - Half decent

Ings is actually 6th in xG per 90 with at least 350 minutes played.  The Obafemi kid that played against ManU looks interesting.  The rest should never play in the PL again.  Redmond even, all he can do is progress the ball and then lose it as far as I can tell as he doesn't score or barely shoot anymore.  They need a lot of work.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: December 3, 2018, 09:41:22 pm »

Klopp won the first title with Lucas Barrios as his top goal-scorer.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: December 3, 2018, 10:20:05 pm »
Klopp won the first title with Lucas Barrios as his top goal-scorer.

And?  In looking at his history he scored goals anywhere he played aside from Russia.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #332 on: December 3, 2018, 10:29:40 pm »
The only thing Immobile needs to be a good goalscorer is to be living in Italy  ;D

Kagawa was also a decent goalscorer in Kloppo's teams. Hell, the mighty Kevin Grosskreutz knew where the net was too.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: December 4, 2018, 02:32:53 am »
And?  In looking at his history he scored goals anywhere he played aside from Russia.

No shit sherlock, I was adding to the list of the goal scorers that Klopp worked with which you referenced in your post, in other words I was agreeing with you. Before Lewandwoski, Barios was the main man, for two seasons that he was there.

;)

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #334 on: December 4, 2018, 08:44:38 am »
Gabbiadini - Half decent

You seem to be stuck in 2016.

Gabbiadini is the worst of the bunch.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: December 4, 2018, 09:49:20 am »
Hassenhuttl did pressing work at Leipzig but it's far from a given that he'd implement a similar style at Southampton. His Ingolstadt side were boring as fuck, and indeed there were doubts about what Rangnick was even doing hiring him when he's obsessed with sky high octane football. I think it'd take a while before he tries bringing in anything like the Leipzig style of play. Solid, hard to beat will be the order of the day for ages.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: December 4, 2018, 10:02:41 am »
I've said it before, but if they're smart, it'll be Allardyce for the rest of the season. Then get rid in the summer with a nice bonus for keeping them up, and get someone in for the long term. Say what you like about Big Sam, but they need to stay up, they can't gamble with PL survival because the Championship is so hard to get promoted from, and he's the best man for that job.

Allardyce wont take a short term contract.  He'd demand an 18 month contract minimum, it's how he rolls.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TarkaLFC

• Main Stander
  • Valour is superior to numbers.
« Reply #337 on: December 4, 2018, 10:11:38 am »

Gabbiadini c. 1996 was decent
Currently living overseas.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #338 on: December 4, 2018, 12:45:01 pm »

Quite. He had a short term effect when they signed him and then his performance dropped to really bad levels.

Austin is not that bad as quoted above. He is perfect for these teams it's just he's been fucked by injuries.

Redmond is the biggest disappointment. VVD's last season there when he broke out (the year he got injured in January and missed the rest of the season), Redmond showed lots of promise. The regression has been outstanding since then.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: December 4, 2018, 01:09:40 pm »
If this were the start of the season I would love to see someone like Giampaolo given a shot. There would've been some time to build a communication framework, drill in his tactics. The kind of bet that could work spectacularly, but even if it didn't, his teams still have decent organisation deeper in defence. Obviously the top class pressing and possession work stand out.

As it is, mid-season, games about to come thick and fast in December, perhaps an Allardyce short term rescue act followed by a long term manager at the start of 2019 could work?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: December 4, 2018, 02:08:53 pm »
Hassenhuttl did pressing work at Leipzig but it's far from a given that he'd implement a similar style at Southampton. His Ingolstadt side were boring as fuck, and indeed there were doubts about what Rangnick was even doing hiring him when he's obsessed with sky high octane football. I think it'd take a while before he tries bringing in anything like the Leipzig style of play. Solid, hard to beat will be the order of the day for ages.

Indeed, and that is likely what he'll have to do for the rest of this season to keep them up.  Make them horrible to play against and hard to beat.

IF he manages that, then Southampton could be in a very good way.

I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he's a really good coach. Sure, too pragmatic at times, bit of a prickly character too,  but he can change teams to play different ways, and when he gets a team pressing and working hard they can be formidable. He did have a lot of good young attacking talent at RBL to do that though, remains to be seen what he can do with Southampton long term. But if they stay up and recruit well, then who knows!

I'd put him above pretty much all but the obvious coaches in the prem. (i.e, Kloppo, Sarri, Guardiola, Emery, Pochetinno, Benitez, maybe Howe). But he needs to do the hard slog to keep 'em up first!
« Last Edit: December 4, 2018, 02:11:13 pm by Dië Nullfuenfer »

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #341 on: December 4, 2018, 02:30:02 pm »
Southampton is a strange one. For years they were a production line for developping promising talent into PL-level starters, they were doing ok out of it in terms of league position and then, about 2-3 years ago, that kind of stopped.

Are they still investing heavily in their youth set-up or is all that gone?
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: December 4, 2018, 03:44:03 pm »
Allardyce wont take a short term contract.  He'd demand an 18 month contract minimum, it's how he rolls.

I thought he rolled like that because he was as fat as the Michelin Man?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: December 4, 2018, 03:44:17 pm »
The whole 'Alpine Klopp' thing will become boring very quickly when Ralph gets appointed :lmao

Nice of Kloppo to teach the journos today in his PC how to pronounce Hasenhüttl!

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: December 4, 2018, 04:36:36 pm »
Southampton is a strange one. For years they were a production line for developping promising talent into PL-level starters, they were doing ok out of it in terms of league position and then, about 2-3 years ago, that kind of stopped.

Are they still investing heavily in their youth set-up or is all that gone?

I believe one of the main reasons why Les Reed was sacked last month was due to the talent that used to come out of their academy has about completely dried up.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: December 5, 2018, 12:05:04 pm »
It's official, Ralph Hasenhüttl is the new Southampton boss, signed a 2 and a half year deal.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: December 5, 2018, 12:23:14 pm »
Watch him turn them into a good solid midtable club and then be snatched by one of the top six clubs, most likely Spurs if Pochettino leaves or United if Mourinho somehow survives another year.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #347 on: December 5, 2018, 12:32:19 pm »
A small step down to ultimately make a bigger step up.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: December 5, 2018, 12:55:11 pm »
Looking forward to the Soccer Saturday muppets crying about him "having no Premier League experience" like they did when Pochettino replaced Adkins.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #349 on: December 6, 2018, 10:55:06 pm »
Looking forward to the Soccer Saturday muppets crying about him "having no Premier League experience" like they did when Pochettino replaced Adkins.

Jimbo had an aside on the Totally Football podcast today about how he was on a show with Shearer and Sherwood earlier in the week, and Sherwood was - surprise surprise - not sure about his credentials. Cretin.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: December 7, 2018, 12:43:09 am »
No shit sherlock, I was adding to the list of the goal scorers that Klopp worked with which you referenced in your post, in other words I was agreeing with you. Before Lewandwoski, Barios was the main man, for two seasons that he was there.

;)

Thought you meant it as a counter point in that he could turn someone into a goal scorer.  Oh well.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: December 13, 2018, 04:09:30 pm »
Dusan Tadic has scored more goals than Southampton this season. Great business there.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #352 on: December 17, 2018, 12:55:46 am »
Hasenhuttl is a great appointment for them. One or two decent signings during the January window and I think they'll comfortably stay up. Puel, Pellegrino (in particular) and Hughes set them back ages. If they were more proactive after sacking Puel instead of hiring one of the most boring and defensive minded managers in the world, maybe they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: December 17, 2018, 01:00:14 am »
Pellegrino was absolute poison for them, will take quite an effort to actually properly get over that demolition job.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: January 19, 2019, 09:35:03 pm »
What a great job Hassenhuttl is doing there so far. They have some decent players, they shouldn't be in a relegation battle, and it'll be interesting to see him take them forward next season.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: January 19, 2019, 09:52:26 pm »
Hyperbole if you ask me. Once the new manager bounce wears off they’ll be shit again, they’ll sack him and get the latest British washed up has been in. On the plus side, them staying up means they’ll pay up for Ings.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: January 19, 2019, 09:54:09 pm »
He seems to be doing alright, taking points against small clubs like they did today will help them a lot. You simply have to take points off crap at home when you are down there.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: January 19, 2019, 09:58:27 pm »
What a great job Hassenhuttl is doing there so far. They have some decent players, they shouldn't be in a relegation battle, and it'll be interesting to see him take them forward next season.

Nice work by Southampton to get him too, he's a far superior coach to someone like Marco Silva.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #358 on: January 21, 2019, 12:31:10 am »
Nice work by Southampton to get him too, he's a far superior coach to someone like Marco Silva.

Suppose we'll have to wait until next season to find out, when he's the Ev's latest flavour-of-the-month appointment that's got the Redshite running scared.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: January 21, 2019, 04:06:05 am »
Suppose we'll have to wait until next season to find out, when he's the Ev's latest flavour-of-the-month appointment that's got the Redshite running scared.

He would probably talk to Klopp and be warned of the Everton psychopaths and told to steer clear.