Author Topic: Line of Duty  (Read 87341 times)

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
Re: Line of Duty
« Reply #880 on: April 13, 2021, 12:04:49 pm »
One thing that annoyed me a bit about last episode.  Even though it was a belter.

Spoiler
Would Jimmy Lakewell really have been sent back to the same prison following that brutal prison van attack?  It was clear the prison guards tipped the OCG off.  How on earth would Jimmy or anyone else think he was safe.  Especially after being with AC12.

He just wouldn't have gone back there or at least would have been segregated.

Also, didnt realise until i read recaps that the guy who strangled him was Lee Banks, part of the OCG in S05.
[close]

Yeah it did annoy me as well.
Spoiler
Also the fact that he thought they wouldn't kill him because he hadn't talked. Really stupid and naïve from a character who clearly knows how the OCG works.
[close]

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #881 on: April 13, 2021, 12:25:50 pm »
Spoiler
When Ryan went to Jo's house and put the gun to her head, that was how Gail Vella was murdered? Did Ryan kill Gail?
[close]

Spoiler
Yep, that is how she was killed, very similar to the real life killing of Jill Dando. It could be that Ryan did kill her as it wasn't a pro job, a real pro hit wouldn't use a large .45 pistol like that and have the bullet exit and got stuck in a wall, it'd be a small .22 pistol, as the bullet doesn't have the energy to exit the skull and instead whizzes around inside shredding the brain
[close]
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #882 on: April 13, 2021, 12:49:46 pm »
Rob. You worry me mate

Then again you do live in Manchester now :)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #883 on: April 13, 2021, 12:58:36 pm »
Rob. You worry me mate

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #884 on: April 13, 2021, 02:17:36 pm »
Rob. You worry me mate

I'm not sure if this will worry you even more. I used to own handguns in the 90's and went target shooting at a club not far from the docks, near the Taipan. A few of us also had an interest in and used to do CQB stuff of a Sunday and I learn't things like that. Its how we all knew Barry Bulsara was not Jill Dandos killer as he didn't have the equipment and wasn't capable of disassembelling the round, removing the required amount of powder and then remaking the round. We all could, has we all made our own ammunition.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #885 on: April 13, 2021, 02:23:58 pm »
I'm not sure if this will worry you even more. I used to own handguns in the 90's and went target shooting at a club not far from the docks, near the Taipan. A few of us also had an interest in and used to do CQB stuff of a Sunday and I learn't things like that. Its how we all knew Barry Bulsara was not Jill Dandos killer as he didn't have the equipment and wasn't capable of disassembelling the round, removing the required amount of powder and then remaking the round. We all could, has we all made our own ammunition.

Was she shot by one of these?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: April 13, 2021, 03:16:24 pm »
Meanwhile….A R&D office somewhere on Trafford Park

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #887 on: April 13, 2021, 03:23:49 pm »
Meanwhile….A R&D office somewhere on Trafford Park

Let’s hope he doesn’t turn that weapon on himself.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #888 on: April 14, 2021, 12:12:25 am »
Watched the first four episodes today. Brilliant. Now it's just if it's best to watch weekly or save a few more episodes again.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #889 on: April 14, 2021, 09:18:42 am »
Watched the first four episodes today. Brilliant. Now it's just if it's best to watch weekly or save a few more episodes again.

Weekly i'd say, everyone wants to talk about it, all week!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #890 on: April 14, 2021, 09:28:17 am »

Definitely weekly. It's hard enough having to dodge spoilers from TV journalists and the BBC themselves week to week never mind having to dodge the whole internet for the next three weeks.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #891 on: April 14, 2021, 11:48:07 am »
This week's trailer looks great.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: April 14, 2021, 11:59:48 am »
Weekly i'd say, everyone wants to talk about it, all week!

Defo

Always thought it was great coming in here and discussing episodes of TV as they happen.

People love to binge watch I get it, but not for me.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #893 on: April 14, 2021, 02:26:18 pm »
Went back and watched the climax to Season 3.

Wow, great stuff there. Think I'm fully up to speed now. Unsurprising - NON SPECIFIC RUMOUR - has it there is a MASSIVE cliff-hanger at the end of this Sunday's episode.

In other news, Liverpool play at Anfield.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #894 on: April 14, 2021, 02:28:06 pm »
I'e done it both ways. I binged the first 4 seasons of LoD on Netflix, and then watched the last 2 seasons week-by-week. Season 5 was definitely the weakest season so I thought initially it was because of how I was watching it, but I am enjoying this season as much as any.

Aside from maybe 1-2 scenes I like how they have if anything dialled it back a bit. I hate shows (or movies like Roger Moore James Bond) where they constantly feel like they need to out-do themselves and end up jumping the shark.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #895 on: April 14, 2021, 03:52:09 pm »
I'e done it both ways. I binged the first 4 seasons of LoD on Netflix, and then watched the last 2 seasons week-by-week. Season 5 was definitely the weakest season so I thought initially it was because of how I was watching it, but I am enjoying this season as much as any.

Aside from maybe 1-2 scenes I like how they have if anything dialled it back a bit. I hate shows (or movies like Roger Moore James Bond) where they constantly feel like they need to out-do themselves and end up jumping the shark.

Those 1 or 2 scenes have been pretty wild though.
Spoiler
Ryan trying to murder Terry by sending a police car with himself and another officer into a lake was just incredibly stupid. And the shootout in the last episode, while exciting TV, was quickly glossed over when in reality an event like that would have been global news with a huge media circus surrounding it. And then Jimmy, for some inexplicable reason, being sent back to the prison they know has corrupt guards and being promptly murdered.
[close]

It's really exciting TV and a brilliant watch, but I'm not sure whether it's necessarily good TV anymore. It actually reminds me of 24 a fair bit, absolutely obsessed with plot at the expense of its characters. It doesn't seem interested, for example, in telling us anything about Gail Vela as a person - she's just a cipher, an excuse for AC12 to come up against Organised Crime once again.

As I said though, it's hugely addictive and I can't wait for Sunday  ;D

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #896 on: April 15, 2021, 08:18:16 am »
The analogy with 24 is a good one but it has a long way to go before it gets that preposterous. Jack Bauer started off as Steve Arnott and ended up as John Wick.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: April 15, 2021, 09:59:35 am »
It actually reminds me of 24 a fair bit

Sums it up really well actually! The only saving grace is that the seasons are obviously much shorter, so they can condense it all down so that's its not quite as ridiculous.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: April 15, 2021, 10:10:23 am »
Ask Alexa "Who is H?"  - don't worry its not a spoiler.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: April 15, 2021, 10:22:11 am »
Those 1 or 2 scenes have been pretty wild though.
Spoiler
Ryan trying to murder Terry by sending a police car with himself and another officer into a lake was just incredibly stupid. And the shootout in the last episode, while exciting TV, was quickly glossed over when in reality an event like that would have been global news with a huge media circus surrounding it. And then Jimmy, for some inexplicable reason, being sent back to the prison they know has corrupt guards and being promptly murdered.
[close]

It's really exciting TV and a brilliant watch, but I'm not sure whether it's necessarily good TV anymore. It actually reminds me of 24 a fair bit, absolutely obsessed with plot at the expense of its characters. It doesn't seem interested, for example, in telling us anything about Gail Vela as a person - she's just a cipher, an excuse for AC12 to come up against Organised Crime once again.

As I said though, it's hugely addictive and I can't wait for Sunday  ;D

Definitely see the comparisons with 24 - which for a while was the most exciting show on TV. It's all there: professional law enforcement spying on each other, criminal gangs, double crosses, plot twists, breaking people in and out of confinement, loyalties to bosses and main characters sometimes dying. What else, oh yeah long running conspiracy stories :)

--If you're pointing out plot holes or bits that don't quite track on LoD ---you will always find that on any thriller series, just sit back and enjoy the ride, it's great television; apart the plot, LoD has an amazing cast of actors over the years.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: April 15, 2021, 12:05:38 pm »
That is very good  ;D

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #901 on: April 15, 2021, 02:24:53 pm »
It's really exciting TV and a brilliant watch, but I'm not sure whether it's necessarily good TV anymore.

The writing in this series has seen a definite step down in quality. But I'm still loving it.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: April 15, 2021, 06:19:53 pm »
The writing in this series has seen a definite step down in quality. But I'm still loving it.

I'm starting to not enjoy it just because the writing is so poor. The last episode felt like it was written by a 12 year old, it was sadly a lot of nonsense.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: April 16, 2021, 08:52:36 am »
I'm starting to not enjoy it just because the writing is so poor. The last episode felt like it was written by a 12 year old, it was sadly a lot of nonsense.

I have no idea what TV programs you are watching that have better writing than LoD, they must be written by the reincarnation of Shakespeare, Preston Sturgess and Orson Welles?!

Look at the great speech Ted gives when he gets bad news about the future of XX-XX.

What about the filming (and writing) of the big action scene in this episode? I suppose that was a load of crap too?

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #904 on: April 16, 2021, 10:03:13 am »
Popped up on my FB feed :)

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #905 on: April 16, 2021, 12:58:26 pm »
I have no idea what TV programs you are watching that have better writing than LoD, they must be written by the reincarnation of Shakespeare, Preston Sturgess and Orson Welles?!

Look at the great speech Ted gives when he gets bad news about the future of XX-XX.

What about the filming (and writing) of the big action scene in this episode? I suppose that was a load of crap too?

The big action scene was great! Super tense, well directed and riveting. I have issues with how it jars with the realism the show likes to ground itself in, and I thought it was too quickly forgotten about, but it was still a fantastic scene.

I mean at this rate I reckon they should have MI5 in dealing with the OCG, considering the chaos they're causing!  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #906 on: April 16, 2021, 01:15:09 pm »
Was it not also a bit convenient they had a gunmen at about the only spot they could shoot into the van from? All entertaining though!

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #907 on: April 16, 2021, 01:26:25 pm »

Well, given that the general standard of writing for mainstream TV audiences is truly abysmal, even a below par LoD is still better than most of the shit we get fed. But it has definitely gone downhill - way too much expository dialogue, feels like they're slowing it down for the benefit of people who can't keep up.

As already mentioned, the idea of Steve being able to nail a headshot from that angle and distance, with a handgun, is stretching plausibility to the absolute max - even more so than Ted's headshot at the end of S4.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #908 on: April 16, 2021, 02:02:58 pm »

As already mentioned, the idea of Steve being able to nail a headshot from that angle and distance, with a handgun, is stretching plausibility to the absolute max - even more so than Ted's headshot at the end of S4.

Why? Steve was an AFO. Also, it's still a TV show.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #909 on: April 16, 2021, 02:20:54 pm »
The analogy with 24 is a good one but it has a long way to go before it gets that preposterous. Jack Bauer started off as Steve Arnott and ended up as John Wick.
That's a tad annoying as I've only just started watching the first season of 24!  Not watched it at all, I'm about at 9am on the first season! :butt
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: April 16, 2021, 02:22:49 pm »
Was it not also a bit convenient they had a gunmen at about the only spot they could shoot into the van from? All entertaining though!

The OCG are meticulously prepared my friend. Their conspiracy goes back years.

Little known fact, they even had a bent Brummie called 'Wozzer' running the show on the Grassy Knoll in 1963, Dallas. JFK was close to busting a prostitution ring in Cheshire in the early 1960s and a young Tommy Hunter ordered the hit.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #911 on: April 16, 2021, 02:24:59 pm »
That's a tad annoying as I've only just started watching the first season of 24!  Not watched it at all, I'm about at 9am on the first season! :butt

24 is a brilliant show, I'm jealous of the journey ahead of you. Of course it doesn't have Brummies, Scousers, Scots, Northern Irish and kebab shops but it is still a classic watch.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #912 on: April 16, 2021, 03:05:30 pm »
Not going to read the thread, but just started watching S1 after seeing nothing but chat about this show everywhere!

Loving it so far.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: April 16, 2021, 04:26:45 pm »

The first 3-4 seasons of 24 are right up there with Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Mad Men, West Wing as some of the very best TV ever made. It gets a bit silly and samey eventually but damn when it was good it was the most addictive thing on TV.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #914 on: April 16, 2021, 04:31:58 pm »
Why? Steve was an AFO.

That doesn't make him immune from the laws of physics.

Also, it's still a TV show.

Which is why I don't let these things spoil my enjoyment of it.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #915 on: April 16, 2021, 04:50:45 pm »

😃
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Online Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #916 on: April 16, 2021, 05:51:55 pm »
24 is a brilliant show, I'm jealous of the journey ahead of you. Of course it doesn't have Brummies, Scousers, Scots, Northern Irish and kebab shops but it is still a classic watch.
thanks, I'll stick with it then, not sure why I didn't watch it before to be honest! :)

Online Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #917 on: April 16, 2021, 05:54:43 pm »
Not going to read the thread, but just started watching S1 after seeing nothing but chat about this show everywhere!

Loving it so far.
In Series One I was rooting for Tony Gates all the way, thought he was being unfairly persecuted, similar in series 2 but now am firmly in the AC12 camp!!

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: April 16, 2021, 05:56:52 pm »
Why? Steve was an AFO. Also, it's still a TV show.

His chronic back pain and drug addiction wouldn't have helped with his shooting to be fair.

Obviously, only thought of that about 3 hours after watching it, and didn't spoilmy enjoyment of the episode.  But, I think they have really made a rod for their own back with the drug thing in this series.

Online Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #919 on: April 16, 2021, 05:57:05 pm »
The first 3-4 seasons of 24 are right up there with Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Mad Men, West Wing as some of the very best TV ever made. It gets a bit silly and samey eventually but damn when it was good it was the most addictive thing on TV.
It is definitely addictive, I was up until 1:30 last night and then my internet went down so I'm halfway through one!

(apologies all for derailing the LoD thread!)