Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850312 times)

Online cissesbeard

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #3080 on: March 27, 2020, 10:23:30 am »
the only people who want it cancelled are some fans who think it would be funny for us to not win the league and the officials from clubs who want to avoid relegation. why is voiding it fairer than just ending it now and wherever you are is where you finish? suddenly some of them wouldnt want that.
how about the bottom few teams have a one match play off behind closed doors?
all nonsense.
we'll just have to play the games when its safe to do so, however long it takes
if it did get voided we wouldnt be happy but i honestly think it would be nothing compared to what the leeds fans would do! they are convinced that the EPL make decisions to keep them in that league, they would riot. the impact of teams trying to get promoted out of leagues is massive, could screw them up for years.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3081 on: March 27, 2020, 10:29:15 am »
Other than us, there are prem teams who have planned out their entire season using the money they got and simply wouldn't be able to pay it back. You've got clubs like Leicester and Sheff Utd who will be denied the chance to play in the CL or EL. And there are the clubs who are pushing for promotion. It's just going to cause too many headaches if you null and void.

But I do concede, it might get to a point where it gets that bad we simply may not have a chance to complete this season and next season may be a complete write off too. That'll be the worst-case scenario though.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #3082 on: March 27, 2020, 10:30:16 am »
the only people who want it cancelled are some fans who think it would be funny for us to not win the league and the officials from clubs who want to avoid relegation. why is voiding it fairer than just ending it now and wherever you are is where you finish? suddenly some of them wouldnt want that.
how about the bottom few teams have a one match play off behind closed doors?
all nonsense.
we'll just have to play the games when its safe to do so, however long it takes
if it did get voided we wouldnt be happy but i honestly think it would be nothing compared to what the leeds fans would do! they are convinced that the EPL make decisions to keep them in that league, they would riot. the impact of teams trying to get promoted out of leagues is massive, could screw them up for years.

If it did get voided, that's me completely done with football. I will always love Liverpool FC, but could never ever again put a penny of my money into a sport that has completely shed its integrity. This hellbent attitude of this season can be collateral damage but next season is sacrosanct smells really fucking dodgy to me.
JFT97

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3083 on: March 27, 2020, 10:55:41 am »
For those worrying, don’t underestimate the power of LFC.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3084 on: March 27, 2020, 11:05:35 am »
For those worrying, don’t underestimate the power of LFC.

Or United. They have more to lose than Liverpool in this. Possibly £200m when you factor in actual CL + TV money plus the effect not being in it again will have on their sponsorships, and the levy they will have to pay on any transfers to get players to sign for a non-CL club. Plus will they have to pay Alexis Sanchez for another year?  ;D

Could honestly see United and Liverpool stirring up the European Superleague chat again.

Offline Paully

• Not the BlackAndWhitey one!
  • Kopite
« Reply #3085 on: March 27, 2020, 11:06:52 am »
One irony, FC United of Manchester are 2nd & in a playoff spot[a mile behind first place] in the Northern Premier League, so will be denied promotion to the National League North.

If you're South Shields however you'd be fuming, 12 points clear in first with 9 games left, results will now be void & South Shields won't be promoted.

Yeah, I live a few miles from their ground and have watched them a few times and they're furious and rightly so - they've spent a lot of money gearing up for next season all for absolutely nothing. It's the same for my home town team Hebburn Town too albeit a few steps down. They're third and bang on for going up (spent a fortune too turning the club around) and are in the Vase semis and massive favourites to win it outright so hopefully that still goes ahead.

Idiotic decision - every league should have been played to a finish - bollocks to next season - start that whenever!

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3086 on: March 27, 2020, 11:27:27 am »
Such a shame for those non-league clubs.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #3087 on: March 27, 2020, 11:32:11 am »
How brave of that chairman and his quotes about abandoning the league behind his anonymity. I am sure he expressed his real thoughts in the PL meeting last week as well, right? What, no?

Honestly, if they ever come to a decision like that I hope they get sued by every club and organization imaginable in England, all the fans ask for a refund on their tickets and season tickets, the countless channels around the world ask for their money back and drive said clubs that voted for it bankrupt.

Rory Smith rightly mentioned on Twitter today that journalists themselves anonymously quote far too many club executives who only want to self serve.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3088 on: March 27, 2020, 11:47:41 am »
Rory Smith rightly mentioned on Twitter today that journalists themselves anonymously quote far too many club executives who only want to self serve.

They know it'll get clicks that's why.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3089 on: March 27, 2020, 11:51:42 am »
How brave of that chairman and his quotes about abandoning the league behind his anonymity. I am sure he expressed his real thoughts in the PL meeting last week as well, right? What, no?

Honestly, if they ever come to a decision like that I hope they get sued by every club and organization imaginable in England, all the fans ask for a refund on their tickets and season tickets, the countless channels around the world ask for their money back and drive said clubs that voted for it bankrupt.

Yep. There would be a costly mutiny across football if they did it. If they are so worried about not being able to play just have the final standings as they are and have the 3rd place clubs promoted. There  are nine games left in the PL for instance. Why void it completely when there is no idea when it will resume? The only owners interested in it are those with the potential to be relegated/miss out on Europe. Why should other clubs be punished for their mismanagement?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3090 on: March 27, 2020, 12:07:20 pm »
I will look into it but not just now. it's also the spirit of being willing to pay your taxes gladly so we can live in a better world.
Were these players thinking they were evading paying tax when they were actually breaking the law and dodging paying tax. if that's the case then I still think they are hypocrites.
id guess they hire tax advisers to minimise their tax payments (happens here too with that film investment thing loads of players got into around 15 years ago and had to pay it back, ditto the image rights stuff that’s basically a legalised tax dodge) and said advisers screwed up

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #3091 on: March 27, 2020, 12:09:46 pm »
An article on NYT says that FIFA said they have placed no deadlines on leagues finishing their seasons and already working with relevant organisations to extend players contracts that finish end of June.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/sports/soccer/fifa-coronavirus-transfer-windows.html?referringSource=articleShare
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3092 on: March 27, 2020, 12:14:10 pm »
An article on NYT says that FIFA said they have placed no deadlines on leagues finishing their seasons and already working with relevant organisations to extend players contracts that finish end of June.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/sports/soccer/fifa-coronavirus-transfer-windows.html?referringSource=articleShare
Interesting. In one of the Italian papers this morning they’ve put together the remaining fixtures for the season starting on June 4th and finishing on July 12th with all games free to air. Hypothetical of course but a real desire to get it done.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3093 on: March 27, 2020, 12:16:48 pm »
If football is good enough for you to start a new season again in September then its' good enough to complete the last 9 games of the existing season.   :wave

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #3094 on: March 27, 2020, 12:19:53 pm »
If football is good enough for you to start a new season again in September then its' good enough to complete the last 9 games of the existing season.   :wave

Indeed. Not like it would even take months to complete it, you could get through 9 games in about three weeks if necessary.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3095 on: March 27, 2020, 12:23:56 pm »
Indeed. Not like it would even take months to complete it, you could get through 9 games in about three weeks if necessary.

It's 9 games! Not 30.

If we can't fit 9 games in then all businesses might as well close. The self employed might as well quit their business because no one is working anytime soon.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3096 on: March 27, 2020, 12:54:21 pm »
id guess they hire tax advisers to minimise their tax payments (happens here too with that film investment thing loads of players got into around 15 years ago and had to pay it back, ditto the image rights stuff that’s basically a legalised tax dodge) and said advisers screwed up
Nothing wrong in minimising your taxes, we should claim for everything we are entitled too
but some Tax accountants for the rich don't just advice them on what they can claim for, they look for loopholes so they can exploit the tax system. this is what were talking about here I think.
Prosecutors against Ronaldo said he knew he was deliberately avoiding paying his taxes. a rich man refused to pay his taxes. ive no problem with people taking advantage of the system but some rich people take the piss, man in the street paying more tax than a multimillionaire, are we supposed to feel grateful when they toss a few bob at charity when they are in a good mood. I think that's the whole point, if these rich people paid their taxes then a lot of poor people wouldn't have to rely on charity.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 12:57:17 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3097 on: March 27, 2020, 01:11:14 pm »
https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/latest-news/fa-competitions-more-news/29770/coronavirus-battle-rhyl-could-fold-within-weeks-warns-chairman/

Rhyl chairman Paul Higginson is warning the Welsh club’s fans they could fold within weeks over the escalating coronavirus crisis.

With no means of generating income and mounting bills to pay at Belle Vue, Higginson confirmed that a decision on their future will be announced by 5pm on 8 April.

Founded back in 1879, the Denbighshire club compete in the JD Cymru North. Along with the Cymru Premier, Cymru South and the Welsh Premier Women’s League, the competition was suspended by The Football Association of Wales on 13 March.

In a club statement on Thursday appealing for financial aid to get through the crisis, Higginson told fans he is also willing to talk to potential investors about taking over the club.

The Lilywhites chairman said: “With no games and no social gatherings possible the club has no means of raising the levels of income that are needed to meet the immediate overall costs of the club and the following season’s start-up costs.

“The status quo is no longer an option. The reaction from club supporters is greatly appreciated by all at the club, particularly with support for the relaunch of the Supporters 200 Club and the seat sponsor initiative by the newly formed Rhyl Fans Association.

“Similarly, I want to thank all the club volunteers for their dedication throughout these difficult times. At this stage we don’t know when football will resume, and the scale of the problem will only increase.

“It would be irresponsible not to act. There will be many football clubs in difficulties and without support from Welsh Football it will be difficult for many to survive.

“My role is to ensure that if there are new owners or investors they are the right people with the interests of Rhyl FC and it’s community at heart. If there is anybody willing to help the football club this is the time to step forward, email me at sponsorship@rhylfc.co.uk and hopefully a solution will emerge.”

The Rhyl chairman added: “The next two weeks for Rhyl Football Club are now our most critical in recent history and failure to resolve the ground ownership issue, along with identifying the required investment, will lead to the unthinkable and seeing the end of something that has been at the heart of the Rhyl community for over one hundred years. This really has become a more serious issue than just the paying the rent.”
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3098 on: March 27, 2020, 01:11:58 pm »
How the powers to be voided all games outside the top flight without any consultation was scandalous especially at this stage as many of them could have completed their season before September, if football starts again by even July. A little patience is required by all and no point making rash decisions in March.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3099 on: March 27, 2020, 01:12:37 pm »
I have a feeling that even if they bring the season to an end early they will just hand Liverpool the title. It is the easiest of the issues to sort out. However, I’m not particularly bothered if they don’t. It was all but won anyway. I made a pledge to myself that if Liverpool won the league this season then I would jack it in and start to focus on more meaningful things, so I’m not sticking around for another however many years just because I want to see them actually lift the trophy. I can just say we won the league and move on with my life.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3101 on: March 27, 2020, 01:33:44 pm »
Nothing wrong in minimising your taxes, we should claim for everything we are entitled too
but some Tax accountants for the rich don't just advice them on what they can claim for, they look for loopholes so they can exploit the tax system. this is what were talking about here I think.
Prosecutors against Ronaldo said he knew he was deliberately avoiding paying his taxes. a rich man refused to pay his taxes. ive no problem with people taking advantage of the system but some rich people take the piss, man in the street paying more tax than a multimillionaire, are we supposed to feel grateful when they toss a few bob at charity when they are in a good mood. I think that's the whole point, if these rich people paid their taxes then a lot of poor people wouldn't have to rely on charity
i doubt the players that have been done for this (ronaldo, messi, Masch etc) are tax experts they were probably told it’s a bit iffy but will save you a bit so went ahead with it, but yeah if they paid their taxes there would be less of these issues, at least the spanish did go after them to get the money tho

Their fans would have to find another club to support...
;D only a few years until they can get the ferry to the match tho

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3102 on: March 27, 2020, 01:40:09 pm »
https://twitter.com/OliverKay/status/1243444758325989376

“If it’s not feasible, just end this league, with whatever consequences that has. There are very few losers. Liverpool, I know, but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn’t matter”
Another PL club exec raises the null-and-void option

It's not going to happen Lycan, just let it go.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3103 on: March 27, 2020, 03:12:20 pm »
Quite a bit of anger from the non league clubs after the FA announcement yesterday their season was to be cancelled & void without any consultation from the club, after only 12 days after the season was originally suspended.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52064082
#Sausages

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3104 on: March 27, 2020, 04:07:46 pm »
It's not going to happen Lycan, just let it go.

I apologise Jill. My anxiety got the better of me again.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3105 on: March 27, 2020, 04:14:30 pm »
I apologise Jill. My anxiety got the better of me again.

It is way to early for that, lets get through this pandemic first. Anything else is just posturing on others who should know better.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3106 on: March 27, 2020, 04:58:14 pm »
Sorry what? I said how about if rich people 1) pay all their tax and 2) also give in charity. It need not be 1 in place of 2

Not quite sure what I'm missing...

We were talking about people who didn't pay all their tax though??
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3107 on: March 27, 2020, 05:34:23 pm »
ITV will be showing a complete run of Euro 96 from May on all their platforms but mainly on ITV Hub. 

#FootballsComingHome ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3108 on: March 27, 2020, 05:36:27 pm »

Online Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3109 on: March 27, 2020, 07:19:40 pm »
That piece in the Athletic hasn't half got all the gobshites excited, it's almost as if there isn't any real sport to talk about and they are just spouting speculative shite to garner clicks and new subs

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3110 on: March 27, 2020, 08:03:08 pm »
ITV will be showing a complete run of Euro 96 from May on all their platforms but mainly on ITV Hub. 

#FootballsComingHome ;D
To be fair, I fucking loved that tournament.  That Gazza goal.  The 'dentist's chair' celebration afterwards.  Stefan Kuntz just for his name.  For some reason I loved the Croatia kit too.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3111 on: March 27, 2020, 08:19:26 pm »
To be fair, I fucking loved that tournament.  That Gazza goal.  The 'dentist's chair' celebration afterwards.  Stefan Kuntz just for his name.  For some reason I loved the Croatia kit too.

Croatia have the best international kit year in year out. I've been trying to get hold of one for absolutely donkeys, but they're like rocking horse shit. Nike don't even sell them and they make the fuckers!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3112 on: March 27, 2020, 08:21:19 pm »
I got my Croatia top from when I was in Antalaya in Turkey.  ;D

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #3113 on: March 28, 2020, 10:40:58 am »
Interesting. In one of the Italian papers this morning they’ve put together the remaining fixtures for the season starting on June 4th and finishing on July 12th with all games free to air. Hypothetical of course but a real desire to get it done.

Hang on a minute!!! How dare they?! The general consensus in football (ie from Everton/United/City/Spurs fans) is that it's unethical and immoral to even talk about football while thousands are dying!

Wonder if they'll jump all over their backs for that like they do ours?!
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #3114 on: March 28, 2020, 11:03:44 am »
To be fair, I fucking loved that tournament.  That Gazza goal.  The 'dentist's chair' celebration afterwards.
Great idea, that’ll raise the spirits of 90% of the country.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #3115 on: March 28, 2020, 11:21:12 am »
Eight West Ham players are apparently showing signs of the virus. Can't help feel cynical when reading about that.  Can see it happening a lot to be honest. Every time it gets close to announcing the season  is close to starting, certain clubs will start claiming their players have symptoms.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1243854699754934277

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3116 on: March 28, 2020, 11:54:08 am »
Eight West Ham players are apparently showing signs of the virus. Can't help feel cynical when reading about that.  Can see it happening a lot to be honest. Every time it gets close to announcing the season  is close to starting, certain clubs will start claiming their players have symptoms.

Which is good for them - in 14 days the 8 players will all be immune so less for West Ham to worry about in the future.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #3117 on: March 28, 2020, 12:02:35 pm »
Which is good for them - in 14 days the 8 players will all be immune so less for West Ham to worry about in the future.
have they said, you are immune once you have it? is there any known cases of re infection?
JFT 96

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #3118 on: March 28, 2020, 12:28:24 pm »

I don't think it works like that. Pretty sure I read that some people in China got it twice.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3119 on: March 28, 2020, 12:42:08 pm »

This is why we need more testing.

Showing signs. Could be hayfever for all we know.

West Ham seem to keep dropping info. First it was Moyes MIGHT have it, then a few weeks later Brady comes out with her nonsense and now a few weeks later 8 years MiGHT have it.

So, what have these 8 players been doing for the last 2 weeks when they should have been at home.

Can't help but think West Ham are on an agenda.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:49:45 pm by Fordy »