Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850340 times)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #3320 on: March 31, 2020, 09:01:45 am »
Playing behind closed doors still looks like best option with players isolating together at least 2 weeks before it starts.

If it's voided I'll probably give up with football. What's the point. Why is next season more important?

Seria A news is worrying their league is in such different position to ours. If we were 1 point ahead I wouldn't be as bothered but 25 points. Come on.

This seems like a good idea if it could be worked out logistically. They may then have to spend the rest of the season isolated though.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3321 on: March 31, 2020, 09:10:13 am »
This seems like a good idea if it could be worked out logistically. They may then have to spend the rest of the season isolated though.

If the World Cup style scenario is a flyer, they would be isolated anyway

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3322 on: March 31, 2020, 09:41:50 am »
The finances are too big for the season not to be played out. There's effectively £1bn riding on the season being completed for Sky, BT and the Premier League and that's without all the legal challenges that will come in from us, Leeds, West Brom and all the clubs that have a chance of European football or staying up. The league will be completed, most likely behind closed doors, because there's far too much money to be lost.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3323 on: March 31, 2020, 10:09:47 am »
The finances are too big for the season not to be played out. There's effectively £1bn riding on the season being completed for Sky, BT and the Premier League and that's without all the legal challenges that will come in from us, Leeds, West Brom and all the clubs that have a chance of European football or staying up. The league will be completed, most likely behind closed doors, because there's far too much money to be lost.

I think there are options that satisfy all parties like the expanded league scenario as was mooted previously.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3324 on: March 31, 2020, 10:22:46 am »
Or what about let the teams with who have played 1 game less play each other, call it a 29 game season, we win the league, Sheff Utd leapfrog Utd and take the CL place, bitters miss out out on Europe and Karen Brady's beloved West Ham stay up, everybody's happy as Larry

Bullox to that ! Get it back on whenever, we steam roll our way to 100 points, Utd and Spurs miss out on CL thanks to Sheff Utd and West Ham go down - that's more like it

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3325 on: March 31, 2020, 10:23:35 am »
Who gives a shit what other fans think? We have deserved this league and the players deserve the medals.

Would you rather players were stripped of that so that you could preserve the purity of the win? What do you think would happen to the players if thats a season of hard work completely wasted? Personally I find it hard to see how the players would be anywhere near as good.

We have to be realistic. If we have until July then basically thats tough because I cannot see any football taking place this summer. All this talk about finishing the leagues whenever we can is fanciful. There will be a time limit.

Why? The world as we know it is essentially on hold. Football should be no different.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3326 on: March 31, 2020, 10:33:28 am »
Why? The world as we know it is essentially on hold. Football should be no different.

It is on hold. But thats not the same as a league and sporting competition. I firmly believe that there will be a point where playing out the season will be scrapped as an idea and I think thats some point this summer.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3327 on: March 31, 2020, 10:33:41 am »
My fear is other leagues cancelling made possible with players taking big wage cuts till a new season starts.

The Premier league maybe forced to do the same.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #3328 on: March 31, 2020, 10:37:36 am »
What has pity got to do with it? This is about finding practical solutions to an extraordinary and unprecedented situation. There are basically only three broad alternatives available:

1) Play the season to a completion, however long it takes

2) Void the season, and expunge all results, standings etc so that things are reset to where they were back in August 2019 when this current season started. This could be done either now or at some point when it is deemed that too much time has passed and it is decided to write-off the current season and start a new one, or if/when the appetite to complete somehow vanishes (hopefully never).

3) Curtail the season with everyone involved agreeing to some process of deciding final standings, promotion, relegation etc. This could mean just taking the standings as they are and calling that the final table, or using some algorithm to decide final standings etc. In any event it would mean someone (basically us) would win the title, and as all relevant interested parties would have agreed on the process, would be a fair and proper win.

There could be tweaks and variations on the above, but broadly those three are the choices. Of them No. 1 seems most likely and most fair and correct. No. 2 would be insane and lead to all sorts of resistance, resentment and fall out. No. 3 would not be as right and fair as 1) but would be the 2nd best choice.

There's no room here for fannying around and having conniptions about asterisks and ''I don't want to win the title that way'' and all that bollocks. Somehow a solution needs to be found and those are your choices. Pick one.

If you're sincere about sport you'll pick No 1. If you're a twat you'll pick No 2. Which leaves No 3 as the reluctant compromise that we'd have to put up with if No. 1 somehow becomes impossible or the appetite for 1 suddenly leaches away.

Everything else is just noise.

That's all well and good. If option#1 can't be carried out then my gut feeling is, if they have to choose, then they'd go for option#2. They've already said that any decision is going to be painful and they've also set a precedent with the non league decision. Why didn't they curtail that one or do ppg if it's the fairest way.

option#3 of Freezing the table as is with villa going down is a non starter. They'd take that to court instantly or at the very least expect total financial compensation for dropping down.

Yes we're the easy part and we were nailed on to win it. Of course we 'deserve' it. We've been miles ahead of everyone. But it would feel hollow to win a title after 29 games in which we hadn't even mathematically clinched it. Like it or not it would be forever tainted in some way. That's just how I feel about it. I'm not telling you how you should feel.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:41:11 am by Red_Rich »
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3329 on: March 31, 2020, 10:41:50 am »
But it would feel hollow to win a title after 29 games in which we hadn't even mathematically clinched it. Like it or not it would be forever tainted in some way. That's just how I feel about it. I'm not telling you how you should feel.

Would it fuck. Can't believe any Red would say that.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3330 on: March 31, 2020, 10:42:41 am »
That's all well and good. If option#1 can't be carried out then my gut feeling is, if they have to choose, then they'd go for option#2. They've already said that any decision is going to be painful and they've also set a precedent with the non league decision. Why didn't they curtail that one or do ppg if it's the fairest way.

option#3 of Freezing the table as is with villa going down is a non starter. They'd take that to court instantly or at the very least expect total financial compensation for dropping down.

Yes we're the easy part and we were nailed on to win it. Of course we 'deserve' it. We've been miles ahead of everyone. But it would feel hollow to win a title after 29 games in which we hadn't even mathematically clinched it. Like it or not it would be forever tainted in some way. That's just how I feel about it. I'm not telling you how you should feel.

People's feelings towards football would be a lot more tainted if this season was to count for nothing. That would make me feel more hollow than anything.

It's disappointing we didn't win the title in a normal scenario but that's impossible now. To be stripped of this season entirely would be a 100 times worse.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3331 on: March 31, 2020, 10:42:46 am »
My fear is other leagues cancelling made possible with players taking big wage cuts till a new season starts.

The Premier league maybe forced to do the same.
then if they curtail those leagues the standings would likely be final so you have european participants

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3332 on: March 31, 2020, 10:45:52 am »
Who gives a shit what other fans think? We have deserved this league and the players deserve the medals.

Would you rather players were stripped of that so that you could preserve the purity of the win? What do you think would happen to the players if thats a season of hard work completely wasted? Personally I find it hard to see how the players would be anywhere near as good.

We have to be realistic. If we have until July then basically thats tough because I cannot see any football taking place this summer. All this talk about finishing the leagues whenever we can is fanciful. There will be a time limit.

And Aston Villa deserve the chance to play that game in hand that could get them out of the bottom three. Same with Sheffield United's game in hand.

Being deserving means nothing in sport. If Istanbul had finished at half time would anyone have had any problem that Milan deserved to take the trophy home?
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3333 on: March 31, 2020, 10:52:16 am »
The rules certainly need a change after this whatever happens.  Would suggest that if a season has been played above 75% then all teams know if the season was to be abandoned the standings would be the final standings. If it's been played below that percentage then everything restarts from the previous season's standings.

They could do that or go on an algorithm or points ahead thing instead. Even goal difference could come in to play like it does in the event of a points tie.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3334 on: March 31, 2020, 10:57:10 am »
People's feelings towards football would be a lot more tainted if this season was to count for nothing. That would make me feel more hollow than anything.

It's disappointing we didn't win the title in a normal scenario but that's impossible now. To be stripped of this season entirely would be a 100 times worse.

Of course. I'm not sure I'd be able to watch footy again for quite some time if this season was written from the records entirely. Of course we'd feel cheated and as mentally strong as these players are, there's a risk it would break some of them.

What I'm saying is ... I'm 53. I've seen us lift multiple titles. Waiting 30 years to lift one again is all I've wanted. And if we get there somehow, then good. But the  visceral scream that I'd have let out as Jordan Henderson lifts that trophy ... that won't be there. I'll be glad , sure I will. But it will be tempered. Like I've said ... I'll always feel it wasn't quite a 'genuine' one. For me, we'd have to back it up straight away with another title for this one to feel totally legit. Sorry. Like I said, that's just how I feel.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:00:15 am by Red_Rich »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3335 on: March 31, 2020, 10:57:41 am »
And Aston Villa deserve the chance to play that game in hand that could get them out of the bottom three. Same with Sheffield United's game in hand.

Being deserving means nothing in sport. If Istanbul had finished at half time would anyone have had any problem that Milan deserved to take the trophy home?

Why cant we have an expanded league? An idea that was mentioned in the papers was freezing the league with no relegation but with Leeds and West Brom promoted.

If we are denied the league then imagine how demoralising it will be for players and fans? Some may jack it all in. Is that worth it so that opposition fans cant take the piss?

I also think there is more chance we win the league if given this one. If we dont then some players wont be able to recover.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3336 on: March 31, 2020, 11:04:39 am »
If the league isn't completed the premier league has to pay rebate to the TV companies rumoured to be around £700m. They'll finish the league.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3337 on: March 31, 2020, 11:04:41 am »
Would it fuck. Can't believe any Red would say that.

Yep. It's not like we're only a point ahead. We've absolutely dominated.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3338 on: March 31, 2020, 11:04:53 am »
Why cant we have an expanded league? An idea that was mentioned in the papers was freezing the league with no relegation but with Leeds and West Brom promoted.

If we are denied the league then imagine how demoralising it will be for players and fans? Some may jack it all in. Is that worth it so that opposition fans cant take the piss?

I also think there is more chance we win the league if given this one. If we dont then some players wont be able to recover.

I think you're getting me wrong. I'm not choosing for a void option. I just think it's the one they'd go for out of the ones left. The one you've mentioned above with Leeds and WBA coming up? What about Fulham who are in the mix?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:08:07 am by Red_Rich »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3339 on: March 31, 2020, 11:07:52 am »

I think.you're getting me wrong. I'm not choosing for a void option. I just think it's the one they'd go for out of the ones left. The one you've mentioned above with Leeds and WBA coming up? What about Fulham who are in the mix?

But then if its voided what about us, Leicester and any team in the mix for top four?

If anything voiding the league will lead to more legal issues than trying to satisfy as many parties as possible. Add to that there could be a huge bill.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3340 on: March 31, 2020, 11:11:29 am »
Wouldnt they get a pro-rata payment for TV?

That's what worries me.

I have no doubt it'll be finished if they lose all the TV money, if they only lose a bit I think the majority of clubs will be delighted to forget about it and start planning for next year.

Triggering new payments, getting in season ticket money etc.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3341 on: March 31, 2020, 11:15:17 am »
But then if its voided what about us, Leicester and any team in the mix for top four?

If anything voiding the league will lead to more legal issues than trying to satisfy as many parties as possible. Add to that there could be a huge bill.

You're right. All good points. There's simply no easy way to end it to suit everyone. Which is why I think it WILL get played to a finish one way or another.

As much as the voiders, oppo fans and shitbags like Harry Kane and Rio Ferdinand think it's easy just to fuck it off now and start again, luckily for the sport and for those who value sportsmanship and fairness, the authorities will do all they can to get this done. And whatever shape that leaves next season in, they'll deal with that when they get to it! That season is pie in the sky right now. 

Offline Kopout

• Should really just Logout......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3342 on: March 31, 2020, 11:20:07 am »
What serie a news? i hear quote from relegation threatened side like in england trying to exploit it for their benefit like karen brady

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #3343 on: March 31, 2020, 11:30:02 am »
The players in non league must be baffled, what about all their fines they have paid over the season, will they get that back now it's all been voided?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3344 on: March 31, 2020, 11:30:21 am »

I'd certainly be making a claim for my ticket money for all the games I've been to this to be refunded if they were null and voided. There'd be thousands of others doing the same as well.

The non-league season being curtailed has caused all sorts of issues for the FA. They've had 66 clubs out of 90odd complain about it so far. That will heighten if they go to the professional ranks, especially the Premier League.

In the Premier League you get £1.9m for each position you finish in the league. Southampton are 7 points off 8th with 9 games to play. It's not realistic for them to finish there but that's nearly £12m in extra revenue they could lose out on. There's far too much money involved for the season not to be completed.

That's what worries me.

I have no doubt it'll be finished if they lose all the TV money, if they only lose a bit I think the majority of clubs will be delighted to forget about it and start planning for next year.

Triggering new payments, getting in season ticket money etc.

They'll lose one billion in revenue. The season will be completed.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3345 on: March 31, 2020, 11:38:08 am »
It would be interesting to see how all of the void it merchants and the "more important things than football" mob would act if they did scrap the season with  immediate effect (above the inevitable wave of banter I mean)

You can imagine they'd all start banging on about getting prepared for next season. Open the transfer window now to get a head start, maybe bring the season forward a month just in case a second wave of the virus comes later down the line. All these hoops they'd start jumping through for their own self-interest.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3346 on: March 31, 2020, 11:43:58 am »
It would be interesting to see how all of the void it merchants and the "more important things than football" mob would act if they did scrap the season with  immediate effect (above the inevitable wave of banter I mean)

You can imagine they'd all start banging on about getting prepared for next season. Open the transfer window now to get a head start, maybe bring the season forward a month just in case a second wave of the virus comes later down the line. All these hoops they'd start jumping through for their own self-interest.

They have to work out a scenario where some sort of precedent is set. Surely even football will be aware that this thing will be around for ages so are we scrapping future tournaments? There is no way UEFA will delay the Euro’s again either.

There are scenarios that can be agreed. Champions, promotion, no relegation for this season but PPG for the future. Maybe even the teams from 4th to 10th can play a mini tournament to determine CL qualification?

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3347 on: March 31, 2020, 11:53:22 am »
They have to work out a scenario where some sort of precedent is set. Surely even football will be aware that this thing will be around for ages so are we scrapping future tournaments? There is no way UEFA will delay the Euro’s again either.

There are scenarios that can be agreed. Champions, promotion, no relegation for this season but PPG for the future. Maybe even the teams from 4th to 10th can play a mini tournament to determine CL qualification?

Yeah of course. But I was talking more about the ones who are breaking their necks in the rush to void this season using every reason possible to do it. 6 month lockdowns, player health, BCD wouldn't stop crowds outside stadiums. Every argument under the sun to cancel it. Yet all that would suddenly be forgotten if it was decided to just concentrate on starting the next season.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3348 on: March 31, 2020, 11:57:19 am »
Over 100 non-league clubs have now complained to the FA.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3349 on: March 31, 2020, 12:00:25 pm »

The FA are dickheads. They made their decision far, far too soon. We are still in March.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3350 on: March 31, 2020, 12:07:44 pm »
The FA are dickheads. They made their decision far, far too soon. We are still in March.
good for us though as it will knock the null and void dickheads on the head (not sure why they are obsessed with voiding it when you can complete it as is as we’ve played the bulk of the season anyway), wonder if the mouth breather realises that voiding it means all his goals go (and seeing as spurs are furloughing staff I’m pretty sure he’d have to pay back all his bonuses this year)

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3351 on: March 31, 2020, 12:38:27 pm »
Can hand on heart say Id be saying the same thing is the roles were reversed and we were 20 odd points behind City.

There is absolutely no reason to start a new season without finishing the previous one.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3352 on: March 31, 2020, 12:50:18 pm »
good for us though as it will knock the null and void dickheads on the head (not sure why they are obsessed with voiding it when you can complete it as is as we’ve played the bulk of the season anyway), wonder if the mouth breather realises that voiding it means all his goals go (and seeing as spurs are furloughing staff I’m pretty sure he’d have to pay back all his bonuses this year)

Yep. It shows the FA and the Premier League the strength of opposition against it from most clubs. If those little non-league clubs are against it imagine what the Premier League clubs will do them.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3353 on: March 31, 2020, 01:47:19 pm »
Yep. It shows the FA and the Premier League the strength of opposition against it from most clubs. If those little non-league clubs are against it imagine what the Premier League clubs will do them.

Yeah, any noise about null and void is form clubs facing relegation, losing out on CL places etc. Blatant agendas.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3354 on: March 31, 2020, 01:49:09 pm »

That's only 5% of the clubs effected though.

As of yesterday, it was 66 clubs from 90+ leagues and approx 2000 clubs.

That's obviously increased but is still a small number in comparison.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3355 on: March 31, 2020, 01:50:55 pm »
Premier League support to void season grows but legal minefield awaits if EFL are cut adrift

At least four clubs believe scrapping the 2019/20 campaign is a realistic option as the money saved by staying in the Premier League outweighs what broadcasters would be owed, but the EFL’s desire to finish the season causes multiple problems

Miguel Delaney Chief Football Writer @MiguelDelaney
3 hours ago

As Premier League officials pored over documents when the coronavirus crisis first began to spread, a simple but stark reality became apparent: there was absolutely no provision for a situation like this. It was never considered that football could just stop.

That vacuum has started up intense discussion about what can be done next, with all manner of solutions encouraged, but one of the more drastic suggestions has picked up momentum in the last few days.

That is to void the season.

It was an idea that two clubs intimated support for on the night the Premier League was finally postponed on 12 March, with West Ham United’s Karren Brady then revealing her backing in a newspaper column that Saturday. The backlash to that saw the proposal temporarily shelved, but the ongoing uncertainty has seen some figures come back to it. At least four clubs now favour it, with Harry Kane then adding his backing on Sunday. Figures like Kane speaking out has fostered a feeling the momentum behind it could grow, especially the longer the postponement goes on without any solution.

But does that actually mean voiding the season is even possible? What are the technicalities and merits to the idea? What would it actually entail, and what would it mean?

Well, it would mean exactly what the word does: voided. The 2019-20 season would be expunged. “It won’t have happened,” one figure centrally involved in discussions told The Independent. That would mean the “2020-21” season - which is virtually certain to be greatly truncated no matter what - would really just be the 2019-20 season restarted, making the entire enterprise somewhat farcical when eight months of it have already been played. All of the results and records of that period would meanwhile be wiped, and it’s a wonder whether Kane would feel the same if he was told all of his goals wouldn’t count.

Most pressingly, though, the broadcasters would have legal and contractual right to demand money back. This is the source of the very real concerns that the Premier League clubs would collectively lose up to £1.2bn if the season is voided. It also leads to real-world concerns, beyond the trivialities in football. Take £1.2bn out of an industry, especially at a time of depression, and that's a lot of jobs lost. They won't be the most financially insulated jobs either.

This is why the vast majority of the clubs are determined - some sources would say “desperate” - to complete the campaign.

All of the current top-half teams are in that camp, even if some of their supporters are not. That in itself touches on the deeper complexity of this problem.

For all the fixation on Liverpool “getting their title”, the real debate is lower down the table. There lies the greatest argument against voiding the season, because of the multitude of complications it would cause.

“It really would be the worst of all solutions,” one source says. “If it came to it, no one in their right mind would vote against Liverpool being champions, but the bottom would be a mess. It would actually be more justifiable to void the season at the top than the bottom.”

It’s also where it has the potential to get political. Four bottom-half clubs are said to be in favour of voiding the season because they feel that the money guaranteed from staying in the Premier League for another campaign would be greater than any money they have to give back to broadcasters.

This is what the entire debate will really come down to: what clubs will be able to count up to. It really is about the hard sums. Money will be the determining factor everywhere.

Hence, whatever about any emotional concerns based on rivalry from those on the outside of the game, the majority of clubs want to try and complete the season - whenever that is.

If that were to shift, however, there is the issue that a vote among the 20 top clubs alone would not be enough.

The regulations and agreements dictate that the Premier League cannot unilaterally void a season without the agreement of the Football Association and the English Football League. For the same reasons, the top division can’t just decide to re-align relegation so it’s one up, one down rather than three up, three down.

And the EFL’s position is unequivocal: they are determined to finish the season, no matter when that may be. That is down to motivations much greater than any of the Premier League's reasons. It centres around the very survival of tranches of clubs. There are estimations up to 45 clubs could go out of business.

As such, the EFL's position won't be changing, and that effectively locks the Premier League in. It is there where the real potential for legal challenges arise. Multiple sources say that promotion-chasing clubs would have a legitimate argument that they will have suffered extraordinary loss if the Premier League does attempt to void the season and just restart from summer 2019. The expectation is they would be “very aggressive”.

Many who are against voiding the season have meanwhile raised the understandable issue of sporting integrity, but that goes even bigger. There’s the consequential issue of public trust in the competition.

If a league is voided, and the game effectively says certain games don’t matter, it means no result can ever be relied upon. The contract with supporters will have been broken. That could have far deeper repercussions than anything else. And it is all the more pressing given the inevitability that 2020-21 will have to be truncated and postponed at some point, and the greater ease of working around that knowledge, which makes it even more pointless to try and rush a decision on this season.

Rushing it, of course, is the greater problem in all this. Many key figures are uncomfortable with the nature of this debate at a time when so many people are dying and the curve remains steep.

“We shouldn’t be airing grievances about finishing our season now,” one source says. “The time for debate is in a month or so. There’s no point speculating. It’s too early to tell. Football just needs to wait.”

Uefa's mature decision to relax their own position on seasons ending only fortifies this view. There isn't the same pressure.

It’s just the wait can’t go on indefinitely, either. If sporting integrity is obviously a fair rationale for refusing to void the season, it similarly applies to any extended gap in play. If that extends past six months, can it really be fairly considered the same season? Would the teams even be the same?

This is when some feel the situation could change, and the momentum goes back behind the idea. It's why it is still a live possibility, even if a remote one.

That’s if it isn’t killed before then. The Premier League are due to have another call this week, and there is an expectation that they will try and suppress the idea once and for all.

“But you can’t rule anything in or out at the moment. All you can say is the current situation really is unprecedented.”

That means only one thing in all this is certain: the Premier League will be making such provisions in future.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-void-season-2020-coronavirus-liverpool-title-efl-legal-challenge-a9437081.html

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #3356 on: March 31, 2020, 01:51:23 pm »
Not sure if it has already been mentioned here, but I assume that if the season is declared null and void, that the Chelsea transfer ban would still stand until the following season, and their agreement to sign Ziyech, would not be allowed to proceed?
On a slightly different note, would all January transfers be declared null and void too, and those players made to return to the previous clubs? Minamono? Fernandes (Utd) and the financial implications that would mean to all clubs?
Surely you cannot pick and choose what parts are 'null and void', and what parts are not?
Null and void means everything is null and void. The results, goals, transfers, fines, bans. The lot.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3357 on: March 31, 2020, 01:54:15 pm »
Not sure if it has already been mentioned here, but I assume that if the season is declared null and void, that the Chelsea transfer ban would still stand until the following season, and their agreement to sign Ziyech, would not be allowed to proceed?
I think that got appealed to one window not the whole season so he’d be in limbo until January, think chelsea could loan him out for the first half of the year tho

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #3358 on: March 31, 2020, 02:07:19 pm »
I’ll never get over it and it’ll be a farcical decision, but it’s going to be declared void. I accepted that a while back. No, I don’t have any proof. Just like nobody has any proof to the contrary. I just don’t like the general tone of the discourse around this. The argument to void seems to be picking up pace in the media all the time.

Online Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3359 on: March 31, 2020, 02:12:03 pm »
If it’s all void can I have my season ticket money back please.
It would be a nightmare to void it. Get it played.