Author Topic: League Cup and Club World Cup.  (Read 180518 times)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
You'll not bother to watch it then I guess.

I watch friendlies so not sure what that’s got to do with it - it’s not prestigious whether i watch or not

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
Yup it’s not prestigious at all - never has been
Yeah the league cup with it's massive £100,000 prize money is the one all the players want.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I'd rather we be crowned the best club side in the world, but I'd also rather win everything.

We all do, the topic of discussion in the spesific post was if this was more prestigious than the FA and League Cup tho, which I disagree with strongly. Also I dont think anybody considered Corinthians the best club in the world in 2012, crowned or not

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
Win win win everything.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
Yeah the league cup with it's massive £100,000 prize money is the one all the players want.

Does prize money equal prestige?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub

Weird comment - we’re judging completions on prize money now?
The league club is counted as a major domestic honor in the historical tallies so it’s ahead of this for most fans. If it’s not for you then fair enough

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
Our worst points total under Klopp per game is January ... tell me what the circumstances are where extra fixtures in December, extra travel and greater back log of fixtures doesn’t harm our domestic season?

Well presumably  we’ll have the domestic games delayed rather than as played as well as, so hopefully it’s not going to be a load extra matches in December. We’re also top seeds now in our group in the CL so there’s a reasonable possibility we can be qualified with a game or two to go which would make December slightly easier, that obviously may not happen but it’s not beyond the realms that it might. The travel isn’t that bad anyway it’s about 5/6 hours each way.

I dunno, I’m no expert on this kind of thing but it’s 2 games and I doubt we’ll play the first 11 in both of them.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
When is it likely to be? Over the Christmas period?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
An extra two games in the middle of an already congested time of the year just to fuck off to the arsehole of nowhere called Qatar, potentially costing us points in the league? yeah, I'd be telling these clowns to get fucked if I were the club.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
When is it likely to be? Over the Christmas period?
the final is normally around 18th, 22nd December.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hope we pull out of this unless the venue changes. Validating those c*nts. Fifa should be fucking ashamed. Want nothing to do with this. Burying the ghosts of 05? Burying the fucking ghosts of the poor slave lads who are building those stadiums on behalf of Qatar and Fifa more like. Partake in this and there is no moral high ground in any talk about City or PSG ever again. Oh yeah i forgot, revenue. Hypocrits

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
Hope we pull out of this unless the venue changes. Validating those c*nts. Fifa should be fucking ashamed. Want nothing to do with this. Burying the ghosts of 05? Burying the fucking ghosts of the poor slave lads who are building those stadiums on behalf of Qatar and Fifa more like. Partake in this and there is no moral high ground in any talk about City or PSG ever again. Oh yeah i forgot, revenue. Hypocrits

The club or any idividual player/staff doing this would make me proud, but it will never happen and I dont blame them either

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The club or any idividual player/staff doing this would make me proud, but it will never happen and I dont blame them either

And that's the problem with fucking football.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
The league club is counted as a major domestic honor in the historical tallies so it’s ahead of this for most fans. If it’s not for you then fair enough

It's a competition filled with lower league shite. World Club Championship is made up with champions from every continent on the planet.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2019, 11:02:02 pm by LFC when it suits »

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
Each to their own but I don't rate the league cup one bit, just look at Man City's route to the final, absolute dross. The £5mill prize money from the CWC means the club can invest more on players wages, infrastructure etc.

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
We all do, the topic of discussion in the spesific post was if this was more prestigious than the FA and League Cup tho, which I disagree with strongly.

When given a direct choice between one or the other, the Mancs made a mockery of the FA Cup when they dropped out of it to compete for this very competition. That tells you which is more prestigious.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Ask Allison, Fabinho, Firmino, if they would rather win the League cup or Fifa club world cup. This trophy is really massive for South American, Latin players.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
People would rather win the League Cup than be crowned World champions? Sounds a bit Brexit that!

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Last year, Madrid played the semi final on the 19th December and the final on the 22nd December. Mental dates before the Christmas/ New Year run in.  ;D

Need to the inject the lads with the gear Lance Armstrong was on, or buy more players.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
People would rather win the League Cup than be crowned World champions? Sounds a bit Brexit that!
yes i don't get that either, also on top of the fact we have never won the club world cup before.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
When given a direct choice between one or the other, the Mancs made a mockery of the FA Cup when they dropped out of it to compete for this very competition. That tells you which is more prestigious.

I dont base evidence on manc desicions. There is also non-footballing reasons to question it. But I did not know this had such a strong appeal in Latin-America. We’re all on the same side here, ideally we field a strong side in this and it doesnt conflict with any of the other competitions, especially the league. We’ll discuss this in december again I guess.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2019, 11:36:19 pm by oxenstierna »

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
I agree that it is the Hardest tournament to qualify for as you have to win the champions league to get into it but the European clubs normally win it. Only Corinthians 2000, 2012, Internacional 2006 and Sao Paulo 2005 have won it under the fifa world club format that are Non-European teams.

You can go all the way back to 1960 with the intercontinental cup the 43 year history of that was South America 22 Europe 21. Nothing in it. The cwc is 11-4 Europe admittedly, probably tilted a bit with the bigger money in the last couple of decades.

Still, not a gimme. Even the other confederations are getting better. My home team Toronto lost the final of this on Pens to the Mexicans, we dominated should be us in there  ;D i went to all the games, its billed as the Champions League. we knocked out some decent Mexican sides was very entertaining.  the A league the J league Korea-can play a little ball these days. Its not a walkover.

But its our cup lets be having it.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
  • Talking about The Reds an tha....
How would it not reflect the best club in the world when it's a competition between all the best clubs from each continent?

Does the European Super Cup decide the best team in Europe?

Does the Charity Shield matter?

This mickey mouse shite is about as important as those two things.

Only difference is you play 2 games to win it rather than 1.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Remember when United won it? Neither do I

Or do they for that matter.

• Legacy Fan

Actually have seen mancs say that they are a bigger club than us because they have been world champions and we haven't.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
You can go all the way back to 1960 with the intercontinental cup the 43 year history of that was South America 22 Europe 21. Nothing in it. The cwc is 11-4 Europe admittedly, probably tilted a bit with the bigger money in the last couple of decades.

Still, not a gimme. Even the other confederations are getting better. My home team Toronto lost the final of this on Pens to the Mexicans, we dominated should be us in there  ;D i went to all the games, its billed as the Champions League. we knocked out some decent Mexican sides was very entertaining.  the A league the J league Korea-can play a little ball these days. Its not a walkover.

But its our cup lets be having it.
yes the intercontinental cup was more competitive, but the big money and all the best players are in Europe now, different era now. But i agree no team is a walkover but if we play to our level and are clinical we should be winning this trophy in December. We will be massive favourites, and VAR is in the competition now too.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2019, 11:42:57 pm by Ocean Red »

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Fuck that, chance to become World Champions, plus watch rival fans heads explode even more than they're doing already, if that happens. ;)

If 2 people can tell me the world champions for the last 5 years without looking it up then it might mean something, I don't think it does. Non-one watches it unless there own team is playing and we would not book a parade.

In the words of our latest visitor, fake competition.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Dave Mc

• Legacy Fan
  • I 'll be back for breakfast

Huddersfield received more money for finishing 20th in the Prem than Atletico Madrid received this year.
Mark Noble is a shithouse!! - Phil M, 5/3/08

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
Last year one of the early round games drew a crowd of 3,997.

• Legacy Fan
If 2 people can tell me the world champions for the last 5 years without looking it up then it might mean something, I don't think it does. Non-one watches it unless there own team is playing and we would not book a parade.

In the words of our latest visitor, fake competition.

Without looking, could have told you that. the Europeans won it every year except for Chelsea in 2012 to Corinthians and us in 2005 (the opposition who I had forgotten despite watching the match) and Barca also lost in 2006 .
« Last Edit: June 3, 2019, 11:51:13 pm by LFC when it suits »

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness

I do. I also remember us not winning it twice in my memory.

Becoming World Champions would be a monumental achievement. Manchester United are the only English club to win either version of it. I'm not having that. Nor will our non-British contingent, who always take it far more seriously.

Just pull out of the League Cup if you're worried about congestion. It's a shite competition. It's a trophy with three handles, ffs. Designed for clubs in the west country or Norfolk if you ask me.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

• Legacy Fan
yes the intercontinental cup was more competitive, but the big money and all the best players are in Europe now, different era now. But i agree no team is a walkover but if we play to our level and are clinical we should be winning this trophy in December. We will be massive favourites, and VAR is in the competition now too.

We are definitely favourites no matter who it is, but if we play our second string like some in here have suggested (which won't happen), we will get knocked out. We have been knocked out by worse teams playing our second string.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
We all do, the topic of discussion in the spesific post was if this was more prestigious than the FA and League Cup tho, which I disagree with strongly. Also I dont think anybody considered Corinthians the best club in the world in 2012, crowned or not
Did people consider us the best in Europe when we won in 2005? Or the Chelsea team they beat for that matter? I don't really see why it matters what people 'consider' to be the best team and that's really subjective anyway.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline LFConor

• Kopite
  • Believer
get it won, id quite like the shiny club world champions badge on next seasons kit

"If the supporters like me, it's not half as much as I like them"
Kenny Dalglish - 6/2/2011

6 European Cups and 19 Leagues thats what we call history

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
We are definitely favourites no matter who it is, but if we play our second string like some in here have suggested (which won't happen), we will get knocked out. We have been knocked out by worse teams playing our second string.
We will do some rotating for the semi final but we won't be playing our second string i agree.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby

Frankly, this is a ridiculously simplistic view.

Spending less than a week in Qatar to play in a football tournament we are obligated to compete in does not equate to your club being owned, controlled and operated by people with appalling human rights records, and contributing to lining their pockets by going to games and buying their overpriced tat.

We've not boycotted the Premier League because they allow Man City take part, and we've not boycotted the Champions League because PSG are in it. Liverpool playing in the CWC does not equate to the club supporting the Qatari state or its various policies and practices. As a fan you have every right to take your own moral high ground by not watching the games and celebrating if we win. But trying to make sweeping generalisations about these things is just grandstanding and doesn't contribute anything practical to the discussion on this FIFA clusterfuck.

Does the European Super Cup decide the best team in Europe?

Does the Charity Shield matter?

This mickey mouse shite is about as important as those two things.

Only difference is you play 2 games to win it rather than 1.

You're being disingenuous here. There's a difference really between a "super cup" competition, which is as you say a glorified friendly designed as a curtain raiser to the domestic season, and a competition qualified on merit to determine an actual champion.

The champions of Europe are determined by who wins the CL.
The champions of England are determined by who wins the PL.
The champions of the World are determined by...?

I think there's obviously room for a wide spectrum of views on here but as ever people hate nuance.

It's not a competition that should or will take priority over the league or champions league. It's played in a gap between the early league cup rounds and the FA Cup kicking off so shouldn't have any impact on either. It's obviously a practical challenge to add two games and an overseas trip in an already busy month, but I trust the club to manage this appropriately by sensible use of players in the tournament, particularly given the likely calibre of opposition in the semi-final. Playing it in Qatar is not ideal, either geographically or geo-politically, but it's not a decision the club has made and we are obligated to take part. It might not mean much to our English or European fanbase but it obviously means a lot to our players and supporters from further afield.

So yeah. It's complicated. Not quite a glorified friendly, not quite a sought-after trophy. Champions of the world and strangely insignificant.

But we're in it, so we should try to win it, because that's what we do.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2019, 12:05:59 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline an tha

• Kopite

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Frankly, this is a ridiculously simplistic view.

Spending less than a week in Qatar to play in a football tournament we are obligated to compete in does not equate to your club being owned, controlled and operated by people with appalling human rights records, and contributing to lining their pockets by going to games and buying their overpriced tat.

We've not boycotted the Premier League because they allow Man City take part, and we've not boycotted the Champions League because PSG are in it. Liverpool playing in the CWC does not equate to the club supporting the Qatari state or its various policies and practices. As a fan you have every right to take your own moral high ground by not watching the games and celebrating if we win. But trying to make sweeping generalisations about these things is just grandstanding and doesn't contribute anything practical to the discussion on this FIFA clusterfuck.
I totally agree with you on this Jersey.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
I'm sorry but as much as i love this club some things are more important than money and glory and binning this shite is one of them.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Imagine the homecoming if we win it.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.