Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12263835 times)

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #104160 on: December 22, 2021, 10:17:06 pm »
Any news on Balagizi's latest injury? He doesn't seem to have featured much this year which is a bit disappointing as I know there were fairly high hopes for him. Still plenty young enough of course.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #104161 on: December 22, 2021, 10:17:07 pm »
Koumetio has a lot of potential but at this moment I would say he isn’t too 2 cbs for us even at youth level, can see him developing into a good player when all said and done but he hasn’t really stood out either at u23 or first team.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104162 on: December 22, 2021, 10:18:28 pm »
Sure, but I was talking about how casual he is in his play.
Yea he young. He going to get better. He super talented. Good experience for him in the first half

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104163 on: December 22, 2021, 10:18:35 pm »
Koumetio has a lot of potential but at this moment I would say he isn’t too 2 cbs for us even at youth level, can see him developing into a good player when all said and done but he hasn’t really stood out either at u23 or first team.

Shocked he started to be fair. Better CB’s than him currently.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104164 on: December 22, 2021, 10:22:07 pm »

I think from the little i've seen of him his lack of pace will hold him back at the club. You need amazing positioning and reading of the game or to play in a low block side to make up for a lack of pace and he has neither. Very few young CBs develop the former at a young age and we dont play the latter

Love his confidence on the ball but defensively (as expected at his age) there's a lot of improvement needed

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #104165 on: December 22, 2021, 10:28:55 pm »
Need to do a Sepp and get him playing men regularly

Sepp has obviously switched positions but was fairly well versed in the tactical side of the game for a young defender when he arrived; he was visibly frustrated with Koumetio making the wrong read on more than one occasion when they were partnered at CB. Lower league managers won't be keen to play an error prone defender lacking in defensive acumen regardless of how naturally talented he is; therein lies the dilemma.

Half a season in the conference might do Billy the world of good, then hopefully some cup appearances next season before a League One loan in February 2023.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104166 on: December 23, 2021, 07:57:57 am »
Owen Beck got some nice post match comments from the gaffer eh?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #104167 on: December 23, 2021, 08:58:26 am »

I don't see him as a big prospect anyway but Klopp is great at improving players, particularly in that position. Look how much Phillips and Rhys Williams came on last season and they were playing in lower divisions the previous season (Williams even semi pro). Sepp improved as well over the season he was here.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104168 on: December 23, 2021, 09:24:55 am »
Sure, but I was talking about how casual he is in his play.
Not sure its casual. Its just not anticipating whats happening around you, quickly enough

Casual, for me, would imply that there is a lack of care or attention. But I'm sure he was really focused on trying to make a great impression last night. But it just seems like he can sometimes take a little too long to make a decision. But time is on his side.

I really like watching Owen Beck. There is a player in there.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 09:26:50 am by b_joseph »

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104169 on: December 23, 2021, 09:27:47 am »
who's the other CB other than Billy that is highly rated that is currently here now? Seems like he is the one getting the push to the first team squad though.

VDB and williams are both out on loan. which would mean more game time, experience and progression. Not so much for williams but it is a learning curve.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104170 on: December 23, 2021, 09:29:07 am »
who's the other CB other than Billy that is highly rated that is currently here now? Seems like he is the one getting the push to the first team squad though.

VDB and williams are both out on loan. which would mean more game time, experience and progression. Not so much for williams but it is a learning curve.

Quansah is good. Bacjetic is incredible but they look like they are trying to use him in CDM

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104171 on: December 23, 2021, 10:13:14 am »

Based on performances for the acadmey Quanash has been better over the last 18 months. He's not physically ready to play centre back against premier League teams yet I don't think though.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104172 on: December 23, 2021, 10:17:17 am »
Would echo a few of the posts in here; Koumetio looks like he lacks half a yard of pace (which I'm not sure you can ever 'fix') and also some positional awareness (which can be coached).

He's only young and I'm sure he'll improve but I'm not convinced he's quick enough to play in our high line.

Offline Perkinsonian

• Kopite
« Reply #104173 on: December 23, 2021, 10:53:46 am »
Would echo a few of the posts in here; Koumetio looks like he lacks half a yard of pace (which I'm not sure you can ever 'fix')

You can improve the general running speed with specialized training, but it is much more difficult to improve the take-off speed.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104174 on: December 23, 2021, 11:41:53 am »
Quansah is good. Bacjetic is incredible but they look like they are trying to use him in CDM

It could be the case that they’re helping him develop his ball playing skills in CDM before moving him back. It’s the sort of thing Ajax have done for years to help their kids become more well rounded
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #104175 on: December 23, 2021, 01:50:09 pm »
Would echo a few of the posts in here; Koumetio looks like he lacks half a yard of pace (which I'm not sure you can ever 'fix') and also some positional awareness (which can be coached).

He's only young and I'm sure he'll improve but I'm not convinced he's quick enough to play in our high line.

He'll probably play against Shrewsbury and do alright. Was never going to be an easy night when you have to worry about Vardy et al, could have been a disaster if he'd played the whole 90.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104176 on: December 23, 2021, 02:12:16 pm »
think maybe we were playing a bit too open as well. a proper DM/well functioning midfield would have made his job a bit easier i guess. Daka and Vardy are experienced and crafty duo to deal with.

basically his inexperience and being too casual were his downfall. think this wasn't his first appearance for the seniors and he does look a bit overrawed.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104177 on: December 23, 2021, 04:40:59 pm »
I think the team that started vs Leicester was not “ideal” in helping the youngsters - Koumetio, Bradley and Morton to give a good account of themselves. Absence of Virgil, Fabinho, Origi and Thiago forced us to “preserved” players like Konate, Milner, Jota and even Tsimikas (who could have played 90 but with Robbo suspension, we have to use Beck)

Not helped by the fact that Gomez and Bobby (and Keita) are just back from significant injuries and Hendo being ill only recently
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104178 on: December 23, 2021, 05:32:54 pm »

Positional awareness and improved anticipation will help with any lack of pace that he has. 

I thought he played a few really good passes but he definitely was not ready for the increased speed of the game.  He definitely has some potential but only time will tell if he'll make the grade here.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #104179 on: January 2, 2022, 11:35:31 pm »
Leighton Clarkson back with us, loan cut short. Handy to have about for this month in particular. Expect him involved against Shrewsbury and potentially the fourth round, draw dependant.
AHA!

Online Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #104180 on: January 2, 2022, 11:36:53 pm »
Leighton Clarkson back with us, loan cut short. Handy to have about for this month in particular. Expect him involved against Shrewsbury and potentially the fourth round, draw dependant.

Read that Klopp was not happy with 2 or 3 lads who were not getting game time at all on loan so we may see a couple more back.
Y.N.W.A.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #104181 on: January 3, 2022, 11:29:47 am »

That's not a bad shout, very possible he features in that now and hopefully the fourth round too if we get another kind draw. Would expect Morton to come back in too alongside him. Even if he plays the likes of Bradley and Koumetio who struggled against Leicester we should have too much for them given the drop in opposition quality.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #104182 on: January 3, 2022, 11:17:44 pm »
How are own youngsters doing at this point of the season in youth teams?. Which players might come through in different positions with potential to at least make first team squad bench warmer or more in the future?. Has the polish winger progressed?

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #104183 on: January 8, 2022, 11:33:57 am »
How are own youngsters doing at this point of the season in youth teams?. Which players might come through in different positions with potential to at least make first team squad bench warmer or more in the future?. Has the polish winger progressed?

Always difficult to say, the one who looks destined for our first team would be Kaide Gordon for me. Musialowski is still interesting but his season so far hasn't been that good, still very raw for me. I have high hopes for Balagizi but he's been injured a lot this season. Morton has impressed for the first team, Bradley and Beck also to a somewhat lesser extent. Bajcetic looks really good to me. Other that that Oakley Cannonier has been scoring for fun for the U18's, but still early to tell.

Hopefully we'll see some of these players tomorrow vs. Shrewsbury.

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104184 on: January 8, 2022, 11:41:06 am »
Read that Klopp was not happy with 2 or 3 lads who were not getting game time at all on loan so we may see a couple more back.

is there a latest list of our loaned out players and number of appearance and goals, assists stats?
or a link to a poster website that posts regular updates on LFC loanees

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #104185 on: January 8, 2022, 02:05:47 pm »
Nice to see Paul Glatzel back from injury  :thumbup

On the bench for Tranmere v Scunthorpe today.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #104186 on: January 8, 2022, 02:22:24 pm »

Jake Cain hasn’t been playing much at Newport.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #104187 on: January 8, 2022, 09:13:31 pm »
Other that that Oakley Cannonier has been scoring for fun for the U18's, but still early to tell.

To be fair he already has an assist in the Champions League
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #104188 on: January 9, 2022, 03:19:19 pm »
How soon before Layton Stewart returns from his injury, has anyone heard?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104189 on: January 9, 2022, 03:32:23 pm »
How soon before Layton Stewart returns from his injury, has anyone heard?

On the December Academy show he was saying end Jan.  But whether than means training with the group or playing I don’t know.  Given time out I doubt he’ll play for a few weeks

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #104190 on: January 9, 2022, 03:33:49 pm »
On the December Academy show he was saying end Jan.  But whether than means training with the group or playing I don’t know.  Given time out I doubt he’ll play for a few weeks

Thanks. Such a shame, he picked up that injury when he did. It feel as though he's been out for ages.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #104191 on: January 9, 2022, 04:19:01 pm »
VDB on S4C, Cardiff v Preston - extra time

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #104192 on: January 9, 2022, 05:06:16 pm »
Great goal from Gordon today, pretty sure Klopp has overseen 3 or 4 of our youngest ever scorers now, be hard to beat Woodburn though as he was about 17 years and 2 months.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #104193 on: January 9, 2022, 08:29:15 pm »
Thought Dixon-Bonner really grew into the game, to the point that we actually looked worse for him coming off. Doubt there’s a career here for him, but there’s one at a decent enough level.
AHA!

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #104194 on: January 9, 2022, 08:37:34 pm »
Thought Dixon-Bonner really grew into the game, to the point that we actually looked worse for him coming off. Doubt there’s a career here for him, but there’s one at a decent enough level.
I mean, why would you say this now? I'll never understand this weird mentality
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #104195 on: January 9, 2022, 08:41:23 pm »
Say what? That the lad played well and we looked worse when more experienced players replaced him?

Not all of the lads are going to make it at the very top, let alone a lad who’s turned twenty-one. Unless he’s a late bloomer. There’s a player in there, no doubt, but for the very top, who knows?
AHA!

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #104196 on: January 9, 2022, 08:55:37 pm »
Say what? That the lad played well and we looked worse when more experienced players replaced him?

Not all of the lads are going to make it at the very top, let alone a lad who’s turned twenty-one. Unless he’s a late bloomer. There’s a player in there, no doubt, but for the very top, who knows?
Well exactly? Who knows? He's at the very start of his career and who knows what will happen? Why write him off and say you "doubt there'll be a career here for him", at this early stage? What does it achieve?

This is the best time I can remember for youth players at LFC. There's a chance that more are going to make it through to first team standard than ever before because of the way they are selected, trained and developed, using the same tactical and strategic templates and trained at the same location as the first team.

Why not assume they'll all become boss superstars for us until/unless we know different? It costs nothing to be hopeful and positive

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #104197 on: January 9, 2022, 11:50:22 pm »
Because they probably won’t, people are more realistic now, you obviously weren’t here when this thread started and the expectations there were on those on the first page to become ‘boss superstars’ as you put it.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #104198 on: January 10, 2022, 12:27:07 am »
Because they probably won’t, people are more realistic now, you obviously weren’t here when this thread started and the expectations there were on those on the first page to become ‘boss superstars’ as you put it.
It's not about what you expect, it's about being positive about our youth players as they live the dream. What the hell use is 'realism' in this? Where does it get us? By us I mean fans and supporters.

If we can't be hopeful and full of joy and dreams for our young players at a time when they have barely even begun their adult careers, then when can we? There'll be plenty of buckets of cold realism that they, and we, will have to face later down the line,

But I see I'm alone in this. The FM-isation of football support is nearly complete and everyone now thinks they're scouts and managers giving their 'expert opinion' that a player whose career has barely started won't make it. Pretty dismal state of affairts, really.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #104199 on: January 10, 2022, 12:46:30 am »
There's nothing wrong with the lad offering his opinion that a 21 year old youth player may not make it here. We are the best club in the world and the bar is crazy high. I hope the lad makes it here, I hope they all do but give him a break.

We have had a hundred young lads given a go in the first team and impressed but not gone on to forge strong careers here or elsewhere. Fingers crossed we have a few to break the mould.

Here are a few comments just from page one which I'm sure were nice to read at the time and full of hope, didn't make them right

Nemeth -Rather play Nemeth than Kuyt at the moment. If he keeps on scoring like he is for the reserves he will be in the 1st team squad for some games for sure.

Anderson - I expect this lad to be in the 1st squad next season. We could of done with him this season when JP was injured.

Gutrie - I would hopefully add Gutrie to this for next season as he adds something different.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.