Author Topic: Windows 10, professional spyware.  (Read 99793 times)

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Re: Windows 10, professional spyware.
« Reply #680 on: June 6, 2017, 07:28:19 pm »

Microsoft Is Working On 3 New Versions Of Windows 10...

https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-3-new-versions-windows-10/
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: September 30, 2017, 11:46:12 am »
Been thinking of upgrading my PC as my current rig is about 10 years old.  But I noticed that a lot of modern CPU's seem to have been marked "Windows 10 compatible only" or some such.

As I'm still using W7 and will upgrade only when I have to, I might have to try and find some way of upgrading my machine that doesn't involve replacing the motherboard/CPU set.  :(
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #682 on: September 30, 2017, 05:05:09 pm »
Been thinking of upgrading my PC as my current rig is about 10 years old.  But I noticed that a lot of modern CPU's seem to have been marked "Windows 10 compatible only" or some such.

As I'm still using W7 and will upgrade only when I have to, I might have to try and find some way of upgrading my machine that doesn't involve replacing the motherboard/CPU set.  :(

Yeh Microsoft have stopped security patches for the latest Intel 7th gen processors and the AMD ryzen processors. Someone brought out a patch that allowed you to receive the updates. Probably the best alternative is to buy a Intel 6th gen processor as there isn't a great leap between the 6th and 7th gen processors.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #683 on: September 30, 2017, 06:38:13 pm »
Yeh Microsoft have stopped security patches for the latest Intel 7th gen processors and the AMD ryzen processors. Someone brought out a patch that allowed you to receive the updates. Probably the best alternative is to buy a Intel 6th gen processor as there isn't a great leap between the 6th and 7th gen processors.

Damn.  And I was eyeing up the Ryzen as well. :(

It's been such a long time since I did a build.  What are examples of 6th gen processors I could buy?  I usually go for AMD over Intel...

Popcorn's Art

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #684 on: September 30, 2017, 08:57:03 pm »
Damn.  And I was eyeing up the Ryzen as well. :(

It's been such a long time since I did a build.  What are examples of 6th gen processors I could buy?  I usually go for AMD over Intel...

It is a pretty confusing situation. Microsoft have backtracked and will support 6th gen (Skylake) but it is not clear if that is only for ready built PC's by these OEM's https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/11675/windows-7-windows-8-1-skylake-systems-supported or whether they will extend support to people who have built their own systems.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: October 1, 2017, 11:39:00 am »
It is a pretty confusing situation. Microsoft have backtracked and will support 6th gen (Skylake) but it is not clear if that is only for ready built PC's by these OEM's https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/11675/windows-7-windows-8-1-skylake-systems-supported or whether they will extend support to people who have built their own systems.

Urgh, confusing is the right word.  My copy of W7 is retail anyway, not OEM; and I've other issues with the system as it is.  Wont go into too many details here as it's not a tech support thread, but the wired connection to the sky router doesn't work and the wifi cuts out regularly so I have to reset it.  Laptop and phone connect to wireless just fine and the whole desktop used the wired connection at my mum's okay.  But since then I replaced the HHD and this is a clean W7 install.  There's either a glitch in the driver or OS, an issue with the router, a problem with the motherboard, or a combination.  Maybe I should just upgrade to W10, at least on the desktop, and transfer the drive into a new build.

Popcorn's Art

Online BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #686 on: October 7, 2017, 10:21:32 pm »
Urgh, confusing is the right word.  My copy of W7 is retail anyway, not OEM; and I've other issues with the system as it is.  Wont go into too many details here as it's not a tech support thread, but the wired connection to the sky router doesn't work and the wifi cuts out regularly so I have to reset it.  Laptop and phone connect to wireless just fine and the whole desktop used the wired connection at my mum's okay.  But since then I replaced the HHD and this is a clean W7 install.  There's either a glitch in the driver or OS, an issue with the router, a problem with the motherboard, or a combination.  Maybe I should just upgrade to W10, at least on the desktop, and transfer the drive into a new build.

Dropping wifi sounds like a problem I had recently, just kept coming and going. I replaced the wireless PCI card and also moved it further from my graphics card and voila it was fine. I think it got cooked over time.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #687 on: November 17, 2017, 06:25:27 pm »
Any Windows 10 experts out there.If I leave my computer idle for a few minutes it restarts it self when I look in the event log it says its a "Error - Event ID: 10016" I've tried numerous solutions found via Google but none have worked...

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #690 on: November 23, 2017, 07:44:41 pm »
Could anyone tell me why windows is so shit?

I have windows 10 on a new laptop and its shit. It's really slow and takes ages to start up. Freezing constantly as well. The laptop has decent specs so that's not the problem.

Just can't understand how an operating system that's so widely distributed is so shit. Definitely changing to a macbook at the nearest opportunity.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #691 on: November 24, 2017, 07:07:15 pm »
Could anyone tell me why windows is so shit?

I have windows 10 on a new laptop and its shit. It's really slow and takes ages to start up. Freezing constantly as well. The laptop has decent specs so that's not the problem.

Just can't understand how an operating system that's so widely distributed is so shit. Definitely changing to a macbook at the nearest opportunity.

Best guess from what I have heard from others is that you might have a ton of shit in it that you don't really need.  See if there's anything you can disable or uninstall.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #692 on: November 24, 2017, 07:12:04 pm »
Best guess from what I have heard from others is that you might have a ton of shit in it that you don't really need.  See if there's anything you can disable or uninstall.
Not really mate. I don't have much installed except uTorrent, VLC and ccleaner. Eventually just pulled the battery out the back of it and restarted it. Working ok now...

Just amazes me how shit it is sometimes.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #693 on: November 24, 2017, 07:51:15 pm »
Which laptop is it?  Chances are there's a load of shite pre-loaded on it and a fresh install would be the best option.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: November 25, 2017, 06:39:45 pm »
Not really mate. I don't have much installed except uTorrent, VLC and ccleaner. Eventually just pulled the battery out the back of it and restarted it. Working ok now...

Just amazes me how shit it is sometimes.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Which laptop is it?  Chances are there's a load of shite pre-loaded on it and a fresh install would be the best option.

Yeah.  I meant stuff within the OS itself.  I may need to get W10 myself soon but there's all sorts of things I've heard you can turn off and disable during an install (most notably the shit that allows them to monitor you).

Popcorn's Art

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #695 on: March 27, 2018, 10:20:15 pm »
My laptop updated itself today, has there been a Win 10 update over the last few days?  It's messed up the laptop speakers, I'm now getting a faint crackling noise, even with the test sound.  Realtek driver is up to date so it's not that, don't even know where to start with this.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: March 27, 2018, 10:56:59 pm »
My laptop updated itself today, has there been a Win 10 update over the last few days?  It's messed up the laptop speakers, I'm now getting a faint crackling noise, even with the test sound.  Realtek driver is up to date so it's not that, don't even know where to start with this.

Not on my end mate.Sounds stupid but try plugging some headphones in and out again,I sometimes had to run my finger over the port on one of my old desktops.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #697 on: March 28, 2018, 12:33:17 am »
Not on my end mate.Sounds stupid but try plugging some headphones in and out again,I sometimes had to run my finger over the port on one of my old desktops.

Tried that and I get the same crackle through the headphones.  Sure I saw an update of sorts, the laptop definitely gave me the restart with updates message.  Maybe it was a Dell update.  Eugh.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: March 28, 2018, 06:54:51 am »
Roll it back with system restore

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: March 28, 2018, 07:21:55 am »

Do you have the option to roll back the driver? I've had similar issues with the speakers with Windows 10. It's an arse.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #700 on: March 28, 2018, 12:01:24 pm »
The driver on the audio hasn't updated, checked that.  Weirdly, it seems to be working ok today.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #701 on: February 23, 2019, 07:40:05 pm »
What a pain in the backside the window 10 updates are. It has taken me two hours to run a scan on it and then it started sending me messages and turning the screen blue. I've had experiences before where it would switch off my windows virus protection, but this time it managed to mess with my Kaspersky one as well. Has anyone else suffered in a similar way?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: February 23, 2019, 07:48:13 pm »
I've had no problems at all Jill.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: February 23, 2019, 08:00:39 pm »
I've not experienced any issues like that but have had the start menu/taskbar disappear on me, permanently. Windows store never loading, and sound drivers stop working for no reason.

Yours sound a bit more serious than mine though, file check the system using sfc /scannow

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: February 23, 2019, 08:02:48 pm »
I've not experienced any issues like that but have had the start menu/taskbar disappear on me, permanently. Windows store never loading, and sound drivers stop working for no reason.

Yours sound a bit more serious than mine though, file check the system using sfc /scannow

I will do that as a precaution, it does appear to be okay now.  I did fully scan it afterwards and it didn't find anything on it. Thanks.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #705 on: February 23, 2019, 08:03:56 pm »
I've had no problems at all Jill.

I hope it stays that way for you, two hours of your life you never get back.  ;D

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: February 23, 2019, 09:16:29 pm »
It's not hidden away, it's in the agreement plain to see.

Anyway why are you so concerned? Google has access to your emails and anything in cloud storage. Microsoft said they can share you information, well they need to share some things like with Cortana for example.

It's so overblown all this. Come back in 10 years and let's see if those still running Windows 7 are any better off? I mean what should I be afraid happening?

Well it's only been 3 years but I'm still more than happy with my W7.

My problem is sooner or later I'll have to upgrade my PC hardware.  But it's running W7 and all modern components have been rigged to only work with W10, so I will have to update the OS first, which I am not happy about at all.  And then when I do the overhaul (it needs a new motherboard, CPU, memory, graphics card) the OS will probably go bananas because it will effectively find itself inside a new machine.

And no I'm not interested in just getting a brand new PC, because my case, heavy duty power unit, HDD and twin DVD drives are still all good.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: February 24, 2019, 05:18:50 pm »
Well it's only been 3 years but I'm still more than happy with my W7.

My problem is sooner or later I'll have to upgrade my PC hardware.  But it's running W7 and all modern components have been rigged to only work with W10, so I will have to update the OS first, which I am not happy about at all.  And then when I do the overhaul (it needs a new motherboard, CPU, memory, graphics card) the OS will probably go bananas because it will effectively find itself inside a new machine.

And no I'm not interested in just getting a brand new PC, because my case, heavy duty power unit, HDD and twin DVD drives are still all good.

If you upgrade Windows 10, you can associate your license to your Microsoft account so you can transfer to another computer easily. Of course that means signing in to your Microsoft account in Windows 10...

Having said that, trying to stay on Windows 7 indefinitely is silly. Support ends at the end of this year, at which point it will become a security risk.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: February 24, 2019, 07:09:10 pm »
Well I don't HAVE a microsoft account, nor do I want one!  So I have a problem!  ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #710 on: February 25, 2019, 12:14:42 pm »
I login with a gmail account. I dont have a microsoft account.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: February 25, 2019, 12:28:07 pm »
https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-use-windows-10-without-microsoft-account/

The point was about tying your license to your Microsoft account, not just setting up Windows 10 without using a Microsoft account.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

Previously, if your installation of Windows 10 lost its activation due to a hardware change, you would have to go through the tedious process of contacting Microsoft customer support to re-activate, which is not an ideal solution.

However, Microsoft is now simplifying the process. Beginning with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, you can link your Microsoft account (MSA) with the Windows 10 digital license on your device. The new feature allows you to access the Activation Troubleshooter quickly to re-activate your free upgrade copy of Windows 10.

I login with a gmail account. I dont have a microsoft account.

You do, it's just registered with your Gmail account. Just like your Gmail address is probably tied to your RAWK account/Facebook/Amazon etc. It doesn't need to use a Outlook/Hotmail email address.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #712 on: March 9, 2019, 08:39:34 pm »
After a couple of years putting it off I've bitten the bullet and started to roll everything up. Admittedly, I worked for a while to test out and install things that would replicate older Windows versions (I absolutely rely on Classic Shell to give me a Windows 95 style start menu as I've never been able to adapt to anything else). I don't use an online account on any machine, skip that part in the install and make it local (I have a server that's always on so I've flirted with the idea of a domain and AD logins). Classic Shell hides all the apps that want to be permanently logged in anyway. I'm sure it works for some people but I don't need that crap.

Win 95 start menu (with a few updated twists via Classic Shell) + Quick Launch bar for my most heavily used programs (yes it still exists) is all I need.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: April 12, 2019, 11:50:24 am »
Wasny sure where to put this but as its Windows 10...

My laptop keeps losing the wifi, well all networks when I turn it off. It has been working fine for ages but I now need to connect an ethernet cable I have in the router to get it connected - wired now, then a bit of arsing about and I get the my wifi network appearing and others as well - like I usually do.

I have looked at the wifi driver and updated it but it says it is the latest, not sure what else to try.

I fix it by doing a Network Reset" in "Network and Settings" in control panel, this doesn't always work though but I just reboot with ethernet/without as I say basically arsing about until it gets the wifi.
Ta

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: June 10, 2019, 11:53:26 am »
Didn’t want to start a windows 7 thread so gonna see if I can get away with putting this in here.

I’ve just cut some files into a network folder and now I can’t open them or cut them back out! I get access denied on all files when I try to open them and “you need permission to perform this action” if I try to cut them back out. Looks like I have permission to open the folder but not to open anything within it or cut it back out. Are there any quick ways I can get my files back before I go to IT with my tail between my legs? It’s just PDFs/word documents.

Thanks

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #715 on: June 10, 2019, 12:10:56 pm »
If you pasted the files into the folder in the first place, that suggest that at the very least you've got Read and Write permissions to the folder? Can you copy them out rather than cut them out?

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #716 on: June 10, 2019, 12:39:56 pm »
Didn’t want to start a windows 7 thread so gonna see if I can get away with putting this in here.

I’ve just cut some files into a network folder and now I can’t open them or cut them back out! I get access denied on all files when I try to open them and “you need permission to perform this action” if I try to cut them back out. Looks like I have permission to open the folder but not to open anything within it or cut it back out. Are there any quick ways I can get my files back before I go to IT with my tail between my legs? It’s just PDFs/word documents.

Thanks

Have seen a few similar issues since the latest office update. Thought it was a windows file permissions issue, but ended up being fixed by a complete uninstall and reinstall of Office.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: June 10, 2019, 02:00:46 pm »
Can't copy, cut, or open!

Looks like permissions were altered after I cut them over. I wont have any permission to uninstall and reinstall office so looks like i'll have to speak to the IT tech.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #718 on: June 15, 2019, 11:46:16 am »
looks like i'll have to speak to the IT tech.

We're not monsters!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #719 on: June 15, 2019, 06:13:03 pm »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576