Author Topic: Windows 10, professional spyware.  (Read 100454 times)

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
Re: Windows 10, professional spyware.
« Reply #600 on: May 27, 2016, 09:22:58 pm »
It fucked my Laptop.

Start menu never opens, sound just goes, brightness settings get stuck on whatever they happen to be at the time.

Sick of having to restart it all the time.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: May 27, 2016, 09:24:27 pm »
It fucked my Laptop.

Start menu never opens, sound just goes, brightness settings get stuck on whatever they happen to be at the time.

Sick of having to restart it all the time.

Aye that happened to me about two weeks ago the start menu thing. I just reinstalled it but kept the option to keep all my files, is annoying though.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #602 on: June 23, 2016, 08:41:10 pm »
I have a friend who recently bought a windows 10 laptop.  Hes trying to find a youtube music downloader ie copy an paste a link into the program and download as an mp3 type of deal.  He had one called YTD downloader on his old pc, which worked fine on windows 7.  He tried using the same program on windows 10 but hes getting nothing but errors using it.  Is there a decent "free" program he can use that isnt full of hidden ad ware and such?

I found a decent website called convert2mp3, which is fantastic, no software needed.  The problem with that tho is you're limited to 90 minute mp3's.  Im sure that may be fine but he downloads long music mixes for his fitness classes etc.

Any suggestions?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #603 on: June 23, 2016, 11:28:47 pm »
I have a friend who recently bought a windows 10 laptop.  Hes trying to find a youtube music downloader ie copy an paste a link into the program and download as an mp3 type of deal.  He had one called YTD downloader on his old pc, which worked fine on windows 7.  He tried using the same program on windows 10 but hes getting nothing but errors using it.  Is there a decent "free" program he can use that isnt full of hidden ad ware and such?

I found a decent website called convert2mp3, which is fantastic, no software needed.  The problem with that tho is you're limited to 90 minute mp3's.  Im sure that may be fine but he downloads long music mixes for his fitness classes etc.

Any suggestions?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Not sure about software (though I imagine vlc player will be ok) - but I use these websites for ripping music (mp3) from youtube videos:-

http://www.clipconverter.cc/

http://www.vidtomp3.com/index.php

both are free, quick, easy to use and do a decent quality mp3 track - no software needed.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #604 on: June 24, 2016, 05:56:22 am »
Thanks fella, I appreciate it.  :wave

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #605 on: June 29, 2016, 05:35:13 pm »
'Woman wins $10k from Microsoft over Windows 10 misery':-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/27/woman_microsoft_windows_10_upgrades/

comments section always worth a red too.

and finally...

'No means no: Windows 10 nagware's red X will stop update – Microsoft'

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/29/microsoft_removes_updatebydismissal_win10_policy/

and

'Complaints prompt Windows 10 update change'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36657890
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:39:30 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #606 on: July 29, 2016, 05:11:33 pm »

:)

Last call for free Windows 10 upgrade - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36923149

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: July 30, 2016, 01:40:42 pm »
W7 support lasts till 2020 so I'll wait for the next one.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline terrible suits

• Formerly: terrisus
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Justice for the 96 - You'll Never Walk Alone
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #608 on: July 30, 2016, 04:38:18 pm »

:)

Last call for free Windows 10 upgrade - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36923149

No more "free" Windows 10 "upgrades."

RIP

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #609 on: July 30, 2016, 08:15:15 pm »
W7 support lasts till 2020 so I'll wait for the next one.

That's not enough time for the bods at MS to come up with a newer version of Win 7...

(of course, there's nowt wrong with Win 7 anyway - the ycuold - and hopefully should - keep support going for it :wave)

No more "free" Windows 10 "upgrades."

RIP

Can't see many people paying to downgrade their pc to Windows 10 - should be interesting to see how much the price holds - and if they do a lot off offers on it...

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #610 on: July 30, 2016, 08:58:28 pm »
The idea is that windows 10 will be the last iterative release, from now on it's just going to be upgraded rather than replaced wholesale. I don't expect there will be any newer version before 2020, but I would be impressed if many people still have win7 machines chugging along by then anyway.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline terrible suits

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #611 on: July 30, 2016, 09:02:24 pm »
Can't see many people paying to downgrade their pc to Windows 10 - should be interesting to see how much the price holds - and if they do a lot off offers on it...

They'll force all new PCs (prebuilt ones at major retailers anyway) to come preloaded with it, that's all they'll need.

Maybe this will see the start of more and more people doing custom-built PCs (as they should have been doing anyway)

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #612 on: July 31, 2016, 01:45:12 am »
The idea is that windows 10 will be the last iterative release, from now on it's just going to be upgraded rather than replaced wholesale. I don't expect there will be any newer version before 2020, but I would be impressed if many people still have win7 machines chugging along by then anyway.

The zenith of Windows 10 will be when it reverts back to being Windows 7 mate - hopefully before 2020 ;)

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #613 on: July 31, 2016, 10:50:21 am »
Getting some dirty memory leaks at the moment, had this issue before but I shouldn't have to go through all my drivers to find out what's causing the issue  :butt
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #614 on: July 31, 2016, 04:58:38 pm »
Couldn't stand Windows 10, and was out of time to downgrade back to Windows 7 so had to completely factory reset my computer.

Lost Microsoft Office and don't know where my product key is.

MS bastards.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: July 31, 2016, 05:06:29 pm »
Bastard laptop updated to 10 all by itself, it won't connect to wifi now, something to do with having not up to date drivers? Going to have to manually update the drivers myself now and all because they push the update on you without permission.

Twats

Offline terrible suits

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #616 on: July 31, 2016, 07:28:09 pm »
Bastard laptop updated to 10 all by itself, it won't connect to wifi now, something to do with having not up to date drivers? Going to have to manually update the drivers myself now and all because they push the update on you without permission.

Twats

You should still be able to roll back to a previous OS.

Offline terrible suits

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #617 on: July 31, 2016, 07:42:19 pm »
Couldn't stand Windows 10, and was out of time to downgrade back to Windows 7 so had to completely factory reset my computer.

Lost Microsoft Office and don't know where my product key is.

MS bastards.

See if you can still recover it this way:

Copy and paste the following into a Notepad window:
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

You’ll need to use File -> Save As, change the “Save as type” to “All Files” and then name it productkey.vbs or something similar ending with the vbs extension.
Once you’ve saved it, you can just double-click and the popup window will show you your product key.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: July 31, 2016, 07:48:35 pm »

Twats
Fixable surely Craig mate?
I must admit I haven't had a bit of bother since W10 invaded my pc a few months ago.

Offline terrible suits

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #619 on: July 31, 2016, 08:00:27 pm »
I must admit I haven't had a bit of bother since W10 invaded my pc a few months ago.

Should be

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: July 31, 2016, 09:27:46 pm »
My other daughters newer laptop came with it already on and it is fine, must be just a issue with the slightly older ones unfortunately.
Should be
Cheers mare but it was well over a month ago so too late to change back. I'll look into updating the drivers when I get the chance and all should be good.

Offline terrible suits

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #621 on: July 31, 2016, 09:35:09 pm »
Cheers mare but it was well over a month ago so too late to change back. I'll look into updating the drivers when I get the chance and all should be good.

Ah. The way you had phrased it I thought it had just happened recently.

In general, if you have money to put out for an external drive, it's not a bad idea to have a full system image backup (with something like DriveImage XML or something) just in case.
Live and learn and all that.

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: July 31, 2016, 09:43:59 pm »
Ah. The way you had phrased it I thought it had just happened recently.

In general, if you have money to put out for an external drive, it's not a bad idea to have a full system image backup (with something like DriveImage XML or something) just in case.
Live and learn and all that.
Will look into that ta.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: August 1, 2016, 09:19:40 am »
That's not enough time for the bods at MS to come up with a newer version of Win 7...

(of course, there's nowt wrong with Win 7 anyway - the ycuold - and hopefully should - keep support going for it :wave)

I dunno mate.  I went straight from Windows XP to W7 and skipped Vista altogether.  The gaps between Os' tend to be much narrower than the gap between XP and Vista was, which was five and a half years (there was only two and a half years between Vista and W7, but that might have been because Vista was a total shit fest.  ;D )

Popcorn's Art

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #624 on: August 2, 2016, 11:32:51 am »
I dunno mate.  I went straight from Windows XP to W7 and skipped Vista altogether.  The gaps between Os' tend to be much narrower than the gap between XP and Vista was, which was five and a half years (there was only two and a half years between Vista and W7, but that might have been because Vista was a total shit fest.  ;D )

Vista?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-IfnjBHtjHc?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-IfnjBHtjHc?fs=1</a>

You were one of the few lucky ones avoiding Vista mate :wave

For me, XP and Win 7 have been the 2 decent o/s (honourable mention for Win 2000) - vista, 8, 8.1 and 10 have been pretty underwhelming and beset by problems MS could and should have handled better (although early days for 10 - and 8, and 8.1 were saved by the likes of classicshell (a proper start button for the desktop screen).

Given MS's recent track record, and inability to listen to - and implement - what the user actually wants, 2020 is coming around fast for us Windows 7 users!

May The Moss Be With Us...
« Last Edit: August 2, 2016, 11:36:43 am by oojason »

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #625 on: August 2, 2016, 02:30:27 pm »
http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-assistive-features/

Still available for free for anyone who might still want to upgrade but missed the deadline.

Offline terrible suits

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #626 on: August 2, 2016, 06:58:44 pm »
http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-assistive-features/

Still available for free for anyone who might still want to upgrade but missed the deadline.

Microsoft better send out some notices to let people know!
 ::)

Also:
People who assistive technologies still quality for the free upgrade

Oh yes, I assistive technologies all the time. Why, I was just assistive technologiesing the other day.
 ???
« Last Edit: August 2, 2016, 07:01:02 pm by terrible suits »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: August 2, 2016, 08:55:03 pm »

You were one of the few lucky ones avoiding Vista mate :wave

Oh believe me mate, luck had nothing to do with it.  ;D It was a calculated decision based on the horror stories I'd heard about Vista.  If there was any good fortune involved, it was only in that they didn't end support for XP until W7 was released. 

W7 is effectively just a repackaged and working version of Vista anyway.  But even if they don't produce another windows and just stick with modifying and upgrading 10, I'd much rather wait another 3 years until all the kinks are ironed out - even if it means paying money for it.

We get what we pay for and that seems to apply to an OS that they try to force on us for free. ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: August 3, 2016, 05:00:51 pm »
Oh believe me mate, luck had nothing to do with it.  ;D It was a calculated decision based on the horror stories I'd heard about Vista.  If there was any good fortune involved, it was only in that they didn't end support for XP until W7 was released. 

W7 is effectively just a repackaged and working version of Vista anyway.  But even if they don't produce another windows and just stick with modifying and upgrading 10, I'd much rather wait another 3 years until all the kinks are ironed out - even if it means paying money for it.

We get what we pay for and that seems to apply to an OS that they try to force on us for free. ;)

What is it you do that you can't work out how to do with Win10? Because 99% of the time, it's the exact same experience.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: August 3, 2016, 09:11:44 pm »
What is it you do that you can't work out how to do with Win10? Because 99% of the time, it's the exact same experience.

Nothing out of the ordinary, but I can do without the stress and hassle of mucking around with a computer that's been arse-porked by a glitching OS.  I just don't have the patience for it.

W7 is tried, tested and trusted with me, same way XP was.  I've no intention of upgrading until I absolutely have to because I enjoy being in my comfort zone.  The issues people have had on here with W10 are enough to put me off using it until it is more reliable and or I don't have a choice.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2016, 09:52:38 pm by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #630 on: August 3, 2016, 11:03:18 pm »
For anyone suffering the freeze glitches from downloading and installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update - a fix can be found here:-

http://fossbytes.com/windows-10-pcs-freezing-after-installing-anniversary-update-fix-windows-10-freez/

Offline terrible suits

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #631 on: August 4, 2016, 01:49:11 am »

When Windows 10 had its first public release (not a beta/preview release, its actual full release), programs from Microsoft's own Dreamspark program would not install alongside standard Office products (that is, for instance, Microsoft Access, Publisher, and Visio would not install alongside Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.)
I'm generally pretty handy with computers, but I couldn't get it to work - and multiple hours across multiple days, no one at Microsoft could get them to work either. Eventually they would give me times they would contact me with a solution and would literally just not call me. So, eventually I rolled back to 8.1

After a month or so, when I had the time to kill/waste, I did a clean install with Windows 10 and got things to work.
But, dismissing people's issues as "99% of stuff works fine" is definitely glossing over stuff, when Microsoft literally couldn't get their own programs to function on it.

(Oh yeah, Microsoft's "Clicking the X causes your computer to automatically upgrade during the night" also caused my wife's laptop to refuse to boot - and, again, ended up needing to do a clean install [of 8.1, she doesn't want to deal with 10] to get it working again. But I don't know what she may or may not have done with it, so not necessarily laying the blame for that one fully on Microsoft. Still though).

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: August 4, 2016, 09:01:39 am »
When Windows 10 had its first public release (not a beta/preview release, its actual full release), programs from Microsoft's own Dreamspark program would not install alongside standard Office products (that is, for instance, Microsoft Access, Publisher, and Visio would not install alongside Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.)
I'm generally pretty handy with computers, but I couldn't get it to work - and multiple hours across multiple days, no one at Microsoft could get them to work either. Eventually they would give me times they would contact me with a solution and would literally just not call me. So, eventually I rolled back to 8.1

After a month or so, when I had the time to kill/waste, I did a clean install with Windows 10 and got things to work.
But, dismissing people's issues as "99% of stuff works fine" is definitely glossing over stuff, when Microsoft literally couldn't get their own programs to function on it.

(Oh yeah, Microsoft's "Clicking the X causes your computer to automatically upgrade during the night" also caused my wife's laptop to refuse to boot - and, again, ended up needing to do a clean install [of 8.1, she doesn't want to deal with 10] to get it working again. But I don't know what she may or may not have done with it, so not necessarily laying the blame for that one fully on Microsoft. Still though).

I don't see an answer to my simple and sincere question there. I'm not dismissing people's issues, I am just curious about how all these IT pros seem to be suffering so much when I, who am not an expert, have had absolutely no serious problems at all. I'd like to know more. Sorry if that bothers you, but I think I'm still allowed to ask, feel free not to answer if it's beneath your dignity or something.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: August 4, 2016, 09:11:29 am »
Well I am not an IT pro.  And my mental and emotional illness compels me to avoid the potential stress fest of Win10 dicking around with my laptop because I upgraded it when I didn't need to.  The mere potential for it happening is enough to give me chills.

A more pertinent question to pose is, "why should I upgrade to Win10 when W7 does everything I need it to do?" 

I already have one computer I've struggled to get up and running.  I can do without a second.  Win10 doesn't offer me anything I need that W7 doesn't do already.  So I'll wait.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2016, 10:04:45 am by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline terrible suits

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #634 on: August 5, 2016, 12:42:17 am »
I don't see an answer to my simple and sincere question there.

Sorry, here is the direct answer to your question of:

---->

I'm generally pretty handy with computers, but I couldn't get it to work - and multiple hours across multiple days, no one at Microsoft could get them to work either.

Multiple Microsoft programs that I needed to use would not function with Windows 10.

I'm not dismissing people's issues, I am just curious about how all these IT pros seem to be suffering so much

I'm not an "IT pro."
Granted, the people at Microsoft were, and they couldn't get it to work either...

when I, who am not an expert, have had absolutely no serious problems at all.

There's no simple answer to that question, but rather a variety of possibilities, which can be pretty much summed up in either: 
1) Things affect different people in different ways
2) The things that you needed were not the same as what other people needed

Sorry if that bothers you, but I think I'm still allowed to ask, feel free not to answer if it's beneath your dignity or something.

I'm not sure why the snark was necessary. I answered you plainly when you posted the first time, and have done so again now.

However, this:

I'd like to know more.

Doesn't really gel with this:

Because 99% of the time, it's the exact same experience.

Why make such a definitive statement if you "would like to know more"?
Unless you have evidence to back this up, there's no reason to dismiss someone's concern with such a statement and statistic.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: August 5, 2016, 01:11:55 am »
This is an informal conversation in a football forum. Try to bear that in mind. When I say 99% of the time it's the same experience, I'm sharing my personal experience and opinion. I'm not trying to shut anyone down, and I'm not denying that you see things differently. I'm not making a definitive statement or using a real statistic, just employing a turn of phrase. I don't know why that upsets you, any more than I know why you got so cross about the little joke I made about Samsung phones in another thread.
Clearly we don't understand one another very well. I'm asking questions so that I can understand things better.

So far you've told me that an early version of Windows 10 gave you problems. I assumed that it was common knowledge that early versions of any software as complex as a PC operating system is always going to have teething troubles. I wondered why people (not you personally, there's a difference) would still be so averse to switching now, since that doesn't reflect my experience but clearly others feel differently.

I asked, because I genuinely wanted to know, and you declared that I was dismissing people's issues. That made you sound tetchy, at best. If that's not how you meant it to sound, fair enough, I'm sorry I took it that way and perhaps we both need to work harder on how we express ourselves.

In my defence, though, I wasn't talking to you in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2016, 01:38:27 am by Nessy76 »
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline terrible suits

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #636 on: August 5, 2016, 01:53:54 am »
This is an informal conversation in a football forum. Try to bear that in mind.

In a thread where people are discussing technical issues related to an operating system they use or might choose to use.

When I say 99% of the time it's the same experience, I'm sharing my personal experience and opinion. I'm not trying to shut anyone down, and I'm not denying that you see things differently. I'm not making a definitive statement or using a real statistic, just employing a turn of phrase.

Well, it was in response to someone who expressed they were waiting because they didn't want to have to deal with issues that still need to be ironed out. That, in combination with this:

So far you've told me that an early version of Windows 10 gave you problems. I assumed that it was common knowledge that early versions of any software as complex as a PC operating system is always going to have teething troubles.

So it seems you agree that there's justification to waiting for a certain period of time after a new OS is released for those "teething troubles" to be finished and for such complex software to have problems worked out. Obviously, the person that you replied to still feels there is reason to wait for some time longer.

I don't know why that upsets you

I don't know why you think I'm upset. I don't feel I've come across that way in any of my posts. And, lest there be any doubt, I'm not (and haven't been) upset in this thread.

any more than I know why you got so cross about the little joke I made about Samsung phones in another thread.
Clearly we don't understand one another very well.

I honestly don't even remember the thread, nor the discussion, nor the posts, that you're referring to. Clearly it didn't make me "cross" enough for it to stick in my memory in any way whatsoever.
But, apparently we're not understanding each other well if you think that I've been "upset" or "cross" at times when I haven't (at least not enough to form any particular lasting memory for me).

I'm asking questions so that I can understand things better.

I asked, because I genuinely wanted to know, and you declared that I was dismissing people's issues.

What you view as a "turn of a phrase" (99% of what you do...) I view as dismissing someone else's concern about operating system issues which may affect them.
Just because something hasn't affected you doesn't mean it might not have an effect on someone else.

That made you sound tetchy, at best. If that's not how you meant it to sound, fair enough, I'm sorry I took it that way and perhaps we both need to work harder on how we express ourselves.

I strive to communicate well. I'm still unclear as to what exactly it is that you're taking issue with in my posts. I'm certainly far from perfect and have plenty of faults (goodness knows I could come up with a list longer than anyone - aside from my wife anyway). But, I'm just not seeing what it is that you're taking issue with.

That said, I'm certainly not one to hold anything against anyone. I don't even see there being anything that you need to be "sorry" for - as you said at the start, "This is an informal conversation in a football forum." While I view it as a bit more than that, I don't see there being anything you need to be sorry for. And if I've come across that way, I apologise.

-Posted from my desktop running Windows 10

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: August 5, 2016, 02:03:41 am »

What you view as a "turn of a phrase" (99% of what you do...) I view as dismissing someone else's concern about operating system issues which may affect them.
Just because something hasn't affected you doesn't mean it might not have an effect on someone else.

Obviously. That's why I asked in the first place. We're going in circles here. I've explained why I used that phrase, and I've apologised for any misunderstanding. Clearly it still bothers you for some reason, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about that.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline terrible suits

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #638 on: August 5, 2016, 02:16:17 am »
Clearly it still bothers you for some reason

It doesn't bother me, though.
It's possible to point out that something that someone said is inaccurate, misleading, or not conducive to the discussion at hand without being "bothered" by it.

But, yes, we're talking in circles. I apologise, let's move on.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #639 on: August 7, 2016, 11:23:33 am »
Linux Users Claim That Windows 10 Anniversary Update Deletes Dual-boot Partitions:-

http://fossbytes.com/windows-10-anniversary-update-deletes-linux-dual-boot-partitions/

^ Microsoft really don't even bother testing these updates - seemingly much at all - before releasing them to the public.

Microsoft: You liked Windows 10 so much, you'll get 2 more in 2017:-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/05/two_win_10s_for_2017/

Windows 10 Anniversary Update is borking boxen everywhere (Microsoft's response: Have you tried uninstalling it and installing it again?):-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/08/windows_10_anniversary_update_is_borking_boxen_everywhere/

^ as ever, the comments section for articles from The Reg, are worthy of a read
« Last Edit: August 8, 2016, 10:36:08 am by oojason »