Author Topic: Kolo Toure  (Read 166316 times)

Offline Jehst1979

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #440 on: May 29, 2013, 09:26:11 am »
So prone to huge brain farts he managed to be part of a center half pairing that went unbeaten all season - a feat never seen since.. If that's not consistency then geez I don't know what is.

yeah that was 9 years ago, he is prone to massive lapses in concentration, lets hope he just plays in the Carling Cup and is a good influence on the training ground, a lot of experience and has won the league too.

Offline peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #441 on: May 29, 2013, 09:33:06 am »
As always too much negativity. Losing Carra is a big loss, getting a free experienced Premier League CB will add much needed depth and will go some way to filling the void.  Better to sign him now rather than waiting and waiting to see who else we sign and then playing catch up if other deals fall through.

Personally it's shrewd of BR and the team to make such an early signing. We've paid for not sealing the deal before so I'm made up at this stage, it's still MAY!

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #442 on: May 29, 2013, 09:34:14 am »
Moneyball? I'll get me coat  ;D

Can we call it Value instead :D

Yes its exactly what it is, and considering who we hope to rival (their budgets will dwarf ours) and considering how wasteful we've been (look at our record with transfers over the last 15 years) I think its the only way forward.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline uncle_red

• Main Stander
« Reply #443 on: May 29, 2013, 09:35:06 am »

Experience, strength, winning mentality... Welcome, Kolo!

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #444 on: May 29, 2013, 09:37:35 am »
103 international caps, 11 trophies in England and invaluable experience gained as an Invincible and captain of ASEC Abidjan, Arsenal and Ivory Coast. I believe he's a solid addition to the squad, despite being fairly short term in nature (two year contract reportedly). I like Thierry Henry's observation of Kolo spending lots of time with the Arsenal youth players, and so can also prove a mentor too. He's a solid addition in my opinion.

Yip, we all know how much time Carra spent with the young lads and how he encouraged them- in youth/reserve games and at 1st team level.
Kolo seems to be on the ball in that respect as well.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline camred

• Main Stander
« Reply #445 on: May 29, 2013, 09:39:19 am »
doesn't do anything for me this signing. We have plenty of experience in our side, all over the pitch, so I don't buy into this 'we're just signing him for his experience' business.

Genuinely scared he's going to see a lot of minutes. If so, a backwards step for me. Trying my best to be positive about it, my final reaction to this will come I think when the window is shut and we've done all our business. I'm eager to know now if we are in for any other defenders.

Skrtel, Agger, Toure, Kelly/Wisdom as centre halves does not fill me with confidence.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:41:55 am by camred »

Offline AntonisCyprus

• Legacy Fan
  • Cyprus Branch
« Reply #446 on: May 29, 2013, 10:06:28 am »
we should be signing these kind of players in their prime not when they are retiring.. hope he is a backup player
The Cyprus BRANCH RED Fans

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #447 on: May 29, 2013, 10:07:03 am »
Skrtel, Agger, Toure, Kelly/Wisdom as centre halves does not fill me with confidence.
kelly and wisdom will probably be used as full backs or just as cover at centre back

as for the rest were linked with atleast 2 more signings for centre backs.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: May 29, 2013, 10:07:56 am »
Hope he can offer some experience and quality to our defence. I think I understand why we sign him. He's for the short term, to bring a bit of stability. He's won stuff, which is a welcome addition to our side. He knows what it takes. Should help put younger players on the right track. Sounds alright.

That said, I think this is about raising money for a new first pick. We sell a backup and we buy a backup (Toure). Clever perhaps, but I don't think we're stronger now than we were yesterday.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline camred

• Main Stander
« Reply #449 on: May 29, 2013, 10:22:09 am »
kelly and wisdom will probably be used as full backs or just as cover at centre back

as for the rest were linked with atleast 2 more signings for centre backs.

I hope you are right, and if so then I will be much happier with this signing. But as of right now, I'm very nervous. I don't read too much into transfer speculation and paper talk, but I've seen who we are linked with.

If we don't sign anymore defenders, then it will be Kelly and/or Wisdom who will be back up, I like their versatility as they can cover for full back as well. But they are both centre halves by trade.

Offline shadowraith

• Kopite
« Reply #450 on: May 29, 2013, 10:24:35 am »
Good too see us getting some business done early.... Welcome Kolo.......

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #451 on: May 29, 2013, 10:33:20 am »
Experience, strength, winning mentality... Welcome, Kolo!

he's worth a punt just for this!!

like for like for carra...so a good - not great - signing!
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #452 on: May 29, 2013, 10:40:51 am »
I hope you are right, and if so then I will be much happier with this signing. But as of right now, I'm very nervous. I don't read too much into transfer speculation and paper talk, but I've seen who we are linked with.

If we don't sign anymore defenders, then it will be Kelly and/or Wisdom who will be back up, I like their versatility as they can cover for full back as well. But they are both centre halves by trade.
toure was never gonna be signed as first choice

relax mate. its not even june.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #453 on: May 29, 2013, 10:43:19 am »
Good cover signed on a free.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #454 on: May 29, 2013, 10:46:31 am »
Can't see this as anything other than a squad purchase, someone with experience who's won things, and who will be good around the training ground while Carra is missing. We need people who have won trophies, experienced and who can help in training and who can play when we need them to.

Hilarious watching all the Maude Flanders in this thread panicking that he's going to be the first choice, and thats all we can afford etc etc. Did people do that when we signed Gary McAllister?

Toure is a squad player, a decent player who will  I'm sure we'll still sign a decent first choice centre back too.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline henry

• Anny Roader
  • My chicken is better than yours
« Reply #455 on: May 29, 2013, 10:46:47 am »
first impression:
even it's free his wage would be high. so unless he take a pay cut, >100k a week (i assumed) is too much for a 32 yrs old defender and against our transfer model.

after a day to think properly:
Carra probably was getting similar wage if not more, so since this is a free deal it doesn't affect our summer budget or our wage bill and we replace experience with experience so overall it's not a bad deal.
Don't know if he will help the younger players, since IMO this seem to be his "last pay check" deal so he might not be bother with it unlike he was in Arsenal (as mentioned before in this thread), but then he def has the experience which the younger players can learn just by training with him, i assumed.

It is not impossible, its just improbable

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #456 on: May 29, 2013, 10:47:43 am »
Think its fair to say he divides opinion. I must admit I'm sat in the doubtful camp at the moment. Hopefully he can bring lots of experience to the younger lads and rekindle his own personal demons and change his reputation for the good.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: May 29, 2013, 10:48:52 am »
Welcome and good luck.

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: May 29, 2013, 10:50:48 am »
A few years ago we signed Rangers reject Kyrgiakos as cover, a few years before that we signed a barely mobile Pellegrino as cover.

I think Toure has more to offer us now than either of those two did at that time. If he starts 15-20 league games next season I won't lose too much sleep.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #459 on: May 29, 2013, 10:53:55 am »
first impression:
even it's free his wage would be high. so unless he take a pay cut, >100k a week (i assumed) is too much for a 32 yrs old defender and against our transfer model.

Reports of our interest last week (which clearly had some accuracy) talked about ~£40k per week. There is no reason to assume >£100k per week.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #460 on: May 29, 2013, 10:55:40 am »
Some of the guesswork and seeing into the future in this thread is sensational  8)

He's signing for two years, he's signing at the start of July and he's moving from Manchester City.

These are facts.

He'll be on anything between £30k-£50k a week, he's moving to Liverpool as an experienced back-up and to pass some of that experience on to younger centre backs, he wanted to stay in the North West because his family are settled here.

These are educated guesses, from a fair few reputable sources.

He's on £80k+, he's going to be first choice, he didn't have any other offers, he's only joining for one last big pay day.

These are wildly speculative, silly guesses based on nothing more than a desire to slate the club.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline camred

• Main Stander
« Reply #461 on: May 29, 2013, 10:57:59 am »
toure was never gonna be signed as first choice

relax mate. its not even june.

I'm relaxed  :D For now...

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #462 on: May 29, 2013, 11:14:39 am »
A few years ago we signed Rangers reject Kyrgiakos as cover, a few years before that we signed a barely mobile Pellegrino as cover.

I think Toure has more to offer us now than either of those two did at that time. If he starts 15-20 league games next season I won't lose too much sleep.

Spot on. The amount of doom mongering about what this means for us as a club or whether this is a good or bad signing is fucking ridiculous. He's a good cover defender, simple as that.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #463 on: May 29, 2013, 11:19:13 am »
He has a little pre-match ritual that you'll need to get used to. He runs to the point where the 18 yard box meets the touchline on the right hand side of the goal, touches it then runs back to where he should be. Don't ask me why.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: May 29, 2013, 11:23:35 am »
Difficult to say anything about this transfer until we see what other deals will be made at centre half this summer. If it turns out that Toure effectively replaces Coates as 4th pick, and we have a clear first choice, top class, defender when the season starts then I wont mind Toure, but I sure hope he isn't replacing Skrtel or Carragher in the pecking order. He isn't good enough for such a big role, but a decent player to have around in case of a couple of injuries and in some cup game.

Offline Risto

• Anny Roader
« Reply #465 on: May 29, 2013, 11:24:54 am »
The CB situation is a difficult one-

Agger- no problems here, but going on past history, can't be relied on to play every game (unlike Hyypia, Carra)

Skrtel- may have some concerns about future after being dropped, but probably should still be kept- just into his prime...

Coates- The real problem. Can't really be played other positions and wants games, but probably isn't ready to be first choice yet- maybe needs to be sent on loan as a best solution for now?

Kelly- Could be ready to provide back up option, but won't be an option all the time

Wisdom- Unlikely to be ready for CB action next season...

Therefore we needed at least one more option-

Step up Kolo Tuore, he is ready to provide a CB option next season, sort of like Kyrigiakos (sic), after Hyypia left, but hopefully better.

Maybe he can also provide an option at fullback or cover for Lucas, but mainly at CB, allowing Coates to leave (hopefully only on loan) and allow us to maybe invest in another younger CB, who would be eased in over time (delaying a decision on Coates/Skrtel/anyone else).

Experience is required at CB, so having the option of including an experienced player next to a youngster (in the cups etc..), makes sense. Otherwise, signing Kolo would make no sense at all, and initially i have my doubts. However, who knows, he could settle in nicely and challenge for first choice (depth is important) .

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: May 29, 2013, 11:30:03 am »
If he starts 15-20 league games next season I won't lose too much sleep.
Oh, I would. That's half the season! It would mean either injuries to two of our 3 best defenders, or that we plan on using Toure as one of those 3 and not as the experienced 4th choice (as Kyrgiakos for example were). Both sound like bad scenarios to me.

Offline Big Gogz

• Main Stander
  • Come Onnnnnn
« Reply #467 on: May 29, 2013, 11:31:16 am »
He has a little pre-match ritual that you'll need to get used to. He runs to the point where the 18 yard box meets the touchline on the right hand side of the goal, touches it then runs back to where he should be. Don't ask me why.

;D Ha ha! can't wait to see that.

Welcome Kolo - put the work in buddy and you'll turn all these naysayers around. I'll support you, along with everyone of you in my team.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #468 on: May 29, 2013, 11:31:59 am »

Torben Piechnik used to do that too.......only problem was he'd do it during the game

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline flying red

• Kopite
« Reply #469 on: May 29, 2013, 11:34:42 am »
Apart from Gary McAllister, our record of signing players in their 30s is cack. Too often they are happy to pick up their money and just coast. To be honest if I was a 32 year old multi-millionaire it would be tempting. I'd prefer to cut Kelly, Wisdom or Coates some slack by letting them get experience in the first team.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: May 29, 2013, 11:35:04 am »
Oh, I would. That's half the season! It would mean either injuries to two of our 3 best defenders, or that we plan on using Toure as one of those 3 and not as the experienced 4th choice (as Kyrgiakos for example were). Both sound like bad scenarios to me.

I think Toure is quite likely 3rd choice, much as Carragher was, but without European competition and a 4th choice the manager actually wants and will give a few games.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: May 29, 2013, 11:57:03 am »
What do you reckon he's on a week?

Ephedrine, Caffeine and Aspirin
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: May 29, 2013, 11:59:18 am »
I think Toure is quite likely 3rd choice, much as Carragher was, but without European competition and a 4th choice the manager actually wants and will give a few games.
If true, much of our season will depend on who we can get as first choice. It needs to be an established player of outstanding quality, someone who is ready to lead our defence from the first game. And not get injured either...

I wonder if there's someone who fits that description that we can afford...

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: May 29, 2013, 12:01:50 pm »
If true, much of our season will depend on who we can get as first choice. It needs to be an established player of outstanding quality, someone who is ready to lead our defence from the first game. And not get injured either...

I wonder if there's someone who fits that description that we can afford...

I'm assuming the manager and transfer committee have selected Papadopoulos for that role. What little I've seen of him is good, but that's what they get paid for.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #474 on: May 29, 2013, 12:03:43 pm »
A lot of variation in views in this thread as you would expect.
But can't understand some of the guys who are bigging up his experience as one of the Invincibles. That was in 2004 though wasn't it when he was 23? A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then fellas - and if he was so good why then would Arsenal get shut of him to City in 2009 for an alleged £14M?
I think the Gunners simply ripped off City because City were awash with dosh.

I have no doubts that he has been a decent player at some stage in his career. I am not convinced that that particular stage is now. I will hold my hands up of course if he proves me wrong next season. That's the least I could do if he comes good.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: May 29, 2013, 12:06:33 pm »
Apart from Gary McAllister, our record of signing players in their 30s is cack. Too often they are happy to pick up their money and just coast. To be honest if I was a 32 year old multi-millionaire it would be tempting. I'd prefer to cut Kelly, Wisdom or Coates some slack by letting them get experience in the first team.

And would you cut Brendan Rodgers the same slack for the points we may drop(and cups we may get knocked out of) given how inconsistent young players can be?
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #476 on: May 29, 2013, 12:26:42 pm »
It's 100% necessary to cut the manager the slack if he wishes to give club youngsters 1st team experience. If the answer is ever NO, how the feck does any football team handle its essential succession planning?

That's the managers shout - he HAS to back himself to make the right call.
The fans are obligated to recognise this responsibility.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:28:35 pm by Johnnowhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: May 29, 2013, 12:38:15 pm »
Toure is a safety net. We will sign a young centre back, probably Papadopoulous, but there is a risk that he will take some time to get up to speed with the physicality and pace of the English game.  Having Toure available to step in allows time for the young man to learn and learn from 2 very experienced premier league defenders.  I think it's a bit of a no-brainer actually.

Offline LucasLeiva

• Anny Roader
  • Remember My Name
« Reply #478 on: May 29, 2013, 12:41:53 pm »
Quality signing, experienced signings can be so valuable, look at what a difference Gary Mac made when he signed.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #479 on: May 29, 2013, 12:42:42 pm »

Soto was useful though mate. The big man was not world class or anything, but he was relatively solid.
Hopefully Kolo can give us even more.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist