Author Topic: Liverpool owner Hicks selling Texas Rangers shares  (Read 301900 times)

Offline OneKop

• Kopite
Re: Liverpool owner Hicks selling Texas Rangers shares
« Reply #1560 on: April 23, 2009, 11:12:14 pm »
Possibly had some good news from their efforts at getting buyers for their US franchises, that would allow them to concentrate on us, the main flagship of all their assets. Or possibly had some news about minority investors which would allow them to build the stadium.

GG probably wont have much trouble getting a buyer for his hockey team, but Hick's has been trying since BEFORE the credit crunch to get investors into his failing sports empire without any takers, so chances are he ain't going to get any anytime soon. plus the fact they are losing money wont help.

As far as getting investors into Liverpool, who would want to invest millions in Liverpool for a minority stake, knowing that the majority owners are fucking skint, and any money they can rake in from gullable investors would more than likely go towards the guarantee to RBS, and still end up with no new stadium.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #1561 on: April 23, 2009, 11:15:43 pm »
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Greyfox

• Silver Fox's less distinguished brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird on my chest
« Reply #1562 on: April 23, 2009, 11:25:49 pm »
I think there has been some confusion with dates/time zones or something....the only official announcement that has been made is about frozen ticket prices...I don't think theres anymore.
I think theres been a combo of wishful thinking/chinese whispers/and misinterpretation of the timing of the "announcement" about ticket prices....

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1563 on: April 24, 2009, 04:53:44 am »
When it was announced in January that the septics got the 6 month extension, it was generally bandied about that they would either have to have agreed another refinance or a sale by the end of April, otherwise the bank would begin to sweat.

Well guess what folks? It's almost the end of April. So I'd imagine they have gotten their refinance, however we know they are broke so I'd expect that they've found some mug to invest.

Just my tuppence worth. Hope I'm wrong though and it's a full sale, but that's highly unlikely in my opinion.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #1564 on: April 24, 2009, 07:38:28 am »
End of the day, shankslegend and gedo came on here, after the arsenal game claiming some shit was going down. I wouldn't expect them to come on here and raise are hopes (again), if it was nothing (again).

I wish anyone in the know would infact not spurt shite (again) unless their not almost 100% it's not shite (again).

Because come tomorrow, nothing will happen, again.

SL said expect an announcement about the future of the club. He made no mention of any sale to anyone. People have assumed that is what it is about and while everyone is desperate to get rid of the fuckers we still can't go around jumping to the very wrong conclusions.

This could very well be about Kenny and his new role in the club
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline allpool

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1565 on: April 24, 2009, 07:51:00 am »
Liverpool owners meet with bank officials
24 Apr, 09 | England | Clubs ownership & management

Tags: liverpool |
Font size:   
 According to reports, George Gillett and Tom Hicks attended a bank meeting earlier this week, to discuss the GBP 350 million loan due to expire in just three short months.

As noted by the Daily Express, English Liverpool owners met with representatives from the Royal Bank of Scotland a couple of days ago, talking business from the Anfield stadium grounds.

While Gillett and Hicks have been hoping to renegotiate the terms of the loan, sources suggest that the Royal Bank will request further investment from the American pair. Economic circumstances will no doubt have some bearing on the path Gillett and Hicks choose to take, should the bank make such a demand.

Gillett and Hicks have been placed under scrutiny for quite some time, with a possible takeover lurking in the shadows for several months now. With the economy putting pressure on a few of Gillett’s assets, rumours have indicated that the businessman may even be forced to opt out of his share of the Montreal Canadiens.

Also present in the director’s box during the meeting was English manager Stuart Pearce, who was visiting Anfield stadium as a scout. With immaculate timing, England’s own Theo Walcott played a great game in Pearce’s presence, a move that may very well pay off down the road

http://www.eufootball.biz/Clubs/7021-liverpool_gillett_hicks_meet_bank_officials.html

Offline RedJam70

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1566 on: April 24, 2009, 08:35:58 am »
Why do I get the feeling that we'll never be rid of these two.

Habs sale could lighten Gillett's debt load
 Article  Comments (1)  ANDREW WILLIS AND BOYD ERMAN

From Friday's Globe and Mail

April 24, 2009 at 1:57 AM EDT

The Habs nation stretches from sea to sea to sea. But as George Gillett ponders the fate of his sports empire, he is more interested in building a Liverpool FC franchise that could attract a global fan base than in holding on to the Montreal Canadiens.

As the Canadiens begin what is expected to be a tumultuous off-season, their owner faces hard decisions on how to finance his share of a planned new stadium for the English soccer team that Gillett co-owns with fellow sports magnate Tom Hicks. The pair must come up with an estimated $550-million to pay for a new, 71,000-seat stadium in Liverpool, while at the same time keeping bankers happy.

As potential buyers circle the Canadiens and the Bell Centre arena — there are reportedly at least four interested groups, two from outside Quebec — sources close to Gillett say that, by this summer, he is likely to sell the Montreal franchise he purchased in 2001 and focus his attention on Liverpool.

And while Gillett has consistently said any deal involving the storied NHL franchise and the Bell Centre will be based on "estate planning," financial sources say the 70-year-old entrepreneur faces a financial squeeze, and is being pressed by his banks to pay down personal debts.

"The best asset to save is Liverpool, because there's probably more upside to Liverpool than any other sports franchise on the planet," said one executive familiar with Gillett's business affairs. "It is an incredible asset with fans all over the world, and it really hasn't been commercialized the way Manchester United has been, let alone the way we commercialize things in North America."

Forbes magazine pegs Manchester United as the world's most valuable sports franchise, at $1.9-billion (all currency U.S., unless noted). Liverpool ranks as the No. 5 soccer side, worth an estimated $1-billion.

"George's holdings are like his children, he'd be reluctant to give anything up, but the Canadiens are the easiest franchise to sell," said another source working with a group that is bidding for the team. Hicks, owner of the NHL's Dallas Stars and the Texas Rangers baseball team, is attempting to rework his own finances, and failed to make interest payments on loans last week as part of a stare-down with bankers.

There are at least two Quebec-based groups interested in the Canadiens and their arena. There is a loose consortium of bidders that includes Quebecor Inc. boss Pierre Karl Péladeau and the cheese-making Saputo family, and a second group fronted by Serge Savard, former general manager of the team.

Quebec and Montreal politicians are being pitched on a plan to give an edge to local buyers by offering property tax concessions on the Bell Centre, tax breaks that Gillett has unsuccessfully sought in the past.

In addition, sources say the franchise has attracted the interest of at least two out-of-province bidders, one from Ontario, another from the United States. None of these owners contemplate moving the team.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090424.wspthabs23/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home/

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #1567 on: April 24, 2009, 08:36:33 am »
When it was announced in January that the septics got the 6 month extension, it was generally bandied about that they would either have to have agreed another refinance or a sale by the end of April, otherwise the bank would begin to sweat.

Well guess what folks? It's almost the end of April. So I'd imagine they have gotten their refinance, however we know they are broke so I'd expect that they've found some mug to invest.

Just my tuppence worth. Hope I'm wrong though and it's a full sale, but that's highly unlikely in my opinion.

To get the re-fi they would have their balls in a noose, financially speaking.  Getting any sort of credit out there right now is very tough indeed and the banks will demand a substantial amount more security, which H&G I assume do not have. 

As for a third party investor ... I cannot understand anyone investing in LFC as a minority shareholder in these circumstances. 

For sure, the charade of the 4 directors sitting together on Tuesday was, well, a charade. They're clearly trying to impress somebody, whether it's the banks, new investors, or simply the fans. 

Unfortunately I have no new info to report, but it's clear that something has been developing behind the scenes.  One thing I know for sure is that lawyers have been involved in due diligence in recent weeks, but as we all know, deals can come and go. 

Offline PhilAnderer

• Kopite
  • Smack my arse
« Reply #1568 on: April 24, 2009, 08:47:52 am »
Whether they're going to refinance or bring another partner on board, I think I speak for everyone that we should not rest until this cancer is driven completely from the club.

Where the fuck is SOS when they should be at their most vocal?

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird upon my chest.
« Reply #1569 on: April 24, 2009, 08:50:26 am »
One thing I cling onto is Kenny coming back on board and my thinking that he wouldn't be getting involved with this regime unless something is going on. I couldn't have seen him wanting to be associated with the mess that it was like over a year ago for example, so perhaps his joining now is because of something positive being sold to him about the club. That's my hope anyway.
......and could he play!

Offline PhilAnderer

• Kopite
  • Smack my arse
« Reply #1570 on: April 24, 2009, 08:51:45 am »
To get the re-fi they would have their balls in a noose, financially speaking.  Getting any sort of credit out there right now is very tough indeed and the banks will demand a substantial amount more security, which H&G I assume do not have.   

Didn't I read somewhere: Owe £100,000, the bank has you by the balls. Owe £100,000,000, you have the bank by the balls.

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #1571 on: April 24, 2009, 09:04:09 am »
Didn't I read somewhere: Owe £100,000, the bank has you by the balls. Owe £100,000,000, you have the bank by the balls.
True, however, with Liverpool FC the banks have the whip hand as the club is easily sellable to another buyer.  There is no need for them to kowtow to H&G with regard to Kop Holdings and LFC. 

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1572 on: April 24, 2009, 09:04:58 am »

Yep, any normal person defaulting on a loan gets screwed, bad credit ratings etc and wont be touch by a bank with a barge pole. When your talking about people borrowing and defaulting on millions those rules dont apply.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #1573 on: April 24, 2009, 09:08:50 am »
Yeah i saw that quote or similar a while back.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1574 on: April 24, 2009, 09:13:42 am »

It's an antiquated adage that's probably obsolete under the current financial storm.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #1575 on: April 24, 2009, 09:18:41 am »
As for a third party investor ... I cannot understand anyone investing in LFC as a minority shareholder in these circumstances. 

Why? A minority stake can be excellent business. A guaranteed return, over a fixed term with a shares option built in, and no having to deal with tempremental players and managers It's easy money - so long as the club does not go bust , which is highly unlikley.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #1576 on: April 24, 2009, 09:22:10 am »
Why? A minority stake can be excellent business. A guaranteed return, over a fixed term with a shares option built in, and no having to deal with tempremental players and managers It's easy money - so long as the club does not go bust , which is highly unlikley.
If i had x million and was looking to invest, i would not invest with people who's sports empires are up for sale in desperate attempts to raise cash in the states and Canada.  It would be pretty risky business getting into bed with these pair of dirty lying thieving khunts.
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1577 on: April 24, 2009, 09:23:00 am »

But the club does not make a profit. I would like to hear of any premiership club that does. I've heard it said that for every £10 gained, £7 is spent on players. No business can continue to perform healthily if this is always the case.

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #1578 on: April 24, 2009, 09:25:22 am »

For sure, the charade of the 4 directors sitting together on Tuesday was, well, a charade. They're clearly trying to impress somebody, whether it's the banks, new investors, or simply the fans. 

Unfortunately I have no new info to report, but it's clear that something has been developing behind the scenes.  One thing I know for sure is that lawyers have been involved in due diligence in recent weeks, but as we all know, deals can come and go. 

If they were putting on a show i would take guess that it was unfortunately to impress the bank, hopefully the RBS won't be swayed by one token gesture like that after all the crap they have created.

The only thing is though the minority investor hicks and gillett want is a silent cheque book!
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1579 on: April 24, 2009, 09:26:39 am »
It's an antiquated adage that's probably obsolete under the current financial storm.
You reckon?
Say you lent a mate £1000, he would feel a strong obligation to pay you back? Make that amount say £100,000 suddenly he may be inclined to 'do one' if the money he borrowed went sour on say a football venture? It's probably a crap analogy Harry but the point i am trying to make is i think it is still relevant.
Anyway, we are overdue some good news so fingers crossed.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1580 on: April 24, 2009, 09:27:09 am »

I think the behaviour of G&H will be a big turn off, and are G&H in the position to offer a guranteed return? If the club doesnt do well, or the stadium isnt built paying out guranteed returns could be difficult to achieve without it impacting on G&H's own return.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1581 on: April 24, 2009, 09:30:36 am »

It depends on the circumstance. If the business in question make toilet rolls, no one would batter an eye lid if it went under if the banks pulled the plug. When its one of the most famous clubs in the world, people will care and notice.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #1582 on: April 24, 2009, 09:31:17 am »
If its such a good investment, why aren't more people investing in football clubs?

Offline OneKop

• Kopite
« Reply #1583 on: April 24, 2009, 09:39:42 am »
If its such a good investment, why aren't more people investing in football clubs?

Not only that lfctitch, but if its that good of an investment, why the fuck are these two shitbags struggling to get even ONE investor on board, if its so good an investment there should be a line of investors a mile long.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1584 on: April 24, 2009, 09:39:44 am »
It depends on the circumstance. If the business in question make toilet rolls, no one would batter an eye lid if it went under if the banks pulled the plug. When its one of the most famous clubs in the world, people will care and notice.

You say that, and most of the time that is true, but when do the banks reach the point of diminishing returns? They can't keep loaning money to these 2 simply because we are Liverpool. There is also Wachovia, now Wells Fargo, what do they care about a football club across the pond? Would RBS extend the loan for non-economic interests? I doubt it very much.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #1585 on: April 24, 2009, 09:43:02 am »
I would go as far to say that investing with these two must be in the top ten worst investments across the globe, even including investing in a bike for a paper round.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1586 on: April 24, 2009, 09:46:06 am »

Minority stakes and loans are very common. The returns, as George Petchey (leeds /Villa/Orient and west Ham) will testify, can be excellent.

LFC can offer a guaranteed return.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1587 on: April 24, 2009, 09:48:01 am »
I would go as far to say that investing with these two must be in the top ten worst investments across the globe, even including investing in a bike for a paper round.
Agree with you Fry.
Only problem is this is a world renowned football club and investors may well overlook these parasites to take their own dollar out of us.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #1588 on: April 24, 2009, 09:48:15 am »
Minority stakes and loans are very common. The returns, as George Petchey (leeds /Villa/Orient and west Ham) will testify, can be excellent.

ahh the petchey argument.  Tell me, did any of those clubs nurse over 300 million of debt and require tranfer funds to compete at the top.

Offline PhilLFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Stay Low Move Fast..We are the Pilgrims Master
« Reply #1589 on: April 24, 2009, 09:53:37 am »
Someone said earlier that H&G always leak info to the press via there sources.....It is my opinion and i have nothing to back it up....just my opinion, that they are meeting the RBS and that there will be no announcement on selling!!!! The last time anything happenend when they were together was when they met the RBS chiefs that time.... If there was anything likely to happen on the takeover front i think there would be alot of media interest at the moment but it is relatively quiet on the western front in terms of the media sniffing about... but if something was pulled out of the hat that LFC was now in the hands of new owners i would eat my hat!!!
22 Smokin AceS

Offline PhilAnderer

• Kopite
  • Smack my arse
« Reply #1590 on: April 24, 2009, 09:54:26 am »

It's only a good investment at the right price. Unfortunately, these two completely mugged David Moores and got a bargain. As Al-Ansari said, unless they come down from cloud cuckooland, the kunts wont find investors or buyers.

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1591 on: April 24, 2009, 09:54:50 am »
ahh the petchey argument.  Tell me, did any of those clubs nurse over 300 million of debt and require tranfer funds to compete at the top.

No.Any other irrelevant questions?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:56:38 am by xerxes1 »

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #1592 on: April 24, 2009, 09:55:41 am »
No,Any other irrelevant questions?
irrelevant lol 

Offline PhilAnderer

• Kopite
  • Smack my arse
« Reply #1593 on: April 24, 2009, 09:58:37 am »

When profits are haemmorrhaging to pay interest, the returns only arrive when the club is sold on for profit.

Offline vanoord

• Kopite
« Reply #1594 on: April 24, 2009, 10:04:14 am »
When profits are haemmorrhaging to pay interest, the returns only arrive when the club is sold on for profit.

Which was a fine business strategy while the economy was booming, but has something of a flaw now, in that the economy is bust, so nobody is around to buy the club at a ridiculous price.

But ye gotta know where ye're just gonna rush in. Ye cannae just rush in anywhere. It looks bad, havin' to rush oout again straight awa'..

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #1595 on: April 24, 2009, 10:20:44 am »
To quite if new owners were lined up IMO.

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1596 on: April 24, 2009, 10:26:15 am »

Not true.

A football minority case study works something like this. Mr Big owns football fc.The club is worth around £100m but is debt financed and he is having difficulty meeting the running costs.
But it is generating £50m cash a year which is very useful.He anticipates revenues going up, and in the medium term the value of the club going up. He is just short of readies.The banks wont lend any more.

So Mr Clever says, " I will lend you £10m for a year, with 10% of the shares as surity.In a years time I want £11m back. Deal closed.If the club is sold within that period I get my money back, or my percentage holding, whichever is the greater." So if the club is sold for £200m, he gets £20m back. A further clause states that there is an option, at the lenders discretion but in agreement with the club, that at the end of the year the interest payment can be converted into shares........and so on.

You can have your cake and eat it. A guaranteed high interest bank in the short term, and the option of an equity stake if you like the way things are looking at the end of the term.In time that can be converted into a place on the Board.

I have always been opposed to the G&H regime. But to dismiss their empire, valued two years ago at around £1.8bn, and LFC, which last  year generated around £167m as one of the Richest clubs in Europe as, "in the top ten worst investments across the globe, even including investing in a bike for a paper round", helps no-one and gives comfort to the gullible.

Offline ochitared

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1597 on: April 24, 2009, 10:28:34 am »
I can never understand why David Moores sold his shares to H & G. The signs were there for all to see in the US. I wonder what he's thinking now...

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #1598 on: April 24, 2009, 10:31:48 am »
I can never understand why David Moores sold his shares to H & G. The signs were there for all to see in the US. I wonder what he's thinking now...

Hes probably agreeing with xerxes1,  they all can have their cake and eat it.  Nothing is wrong at the club and the figures are all good.

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1599 on: April 24, 2009, 10:33:10 am »

Dom Perignon or a brandy?